Monday, July 9, 2007

Yardsales & Restaurants

Of course, I found a couple of keepers this weekend...how could I not? This aqua old bottle was $2 & looks very much at home here in the den entertainment center.

This cute little bunny needlepoint pillow was $2 & I'm keeping him! With my love of bunnies, he is a welcome little addition to our house. Right now he is sitting on a guestroom bed.
This pic doesn't do this dress justice, but it's the cutest little linen turquoise dress(matches my eyes!) for $3. Pretty embroidered flowers on the bottom hem. And I wore it to church on Sunday.
And, one more little piece of creamware for my collection, $3.00, a little soup or gravy tureen.

That's all for me, but check out the shop today for more finds!

************************************************************
Sandi, over at Whistlestop Cafe, tagged me last week for a restaurant meme (how in the world do you pronounce that & what exactly is it...is it mimi...someone please tell me?? LOL). Anyway, I am going to list 5 of my favorite restaurants in Birmingham. Well, this might be a little boring, but I'll give it a shot anyway. We don't go out to eat at fancy restaurants all that often anymore, but I'll come up with some others since Sandy named 3 of our favorites already. I think you all know I'm in Birmingham, AL. I think I'll break the rules & not tag anyone else. Can I do that? I think I just did!

Here are the rules:
*Link to the name of the person that tagged you
*Include state and country you live in
*List top 5 favorite local restaurants
*Tag 5 other people and let them know they've been tagged


1. Jim & Nicks BBQ - We go to the Hwy. 280 location & it is the best BBQ in town, as far as we're concerned. I always get the same thing...chopped pork plate with homemade french fries, coleslaw & the best cheese muffins you've ever put in your mouth! YUM...it's good! B'ham is known for it's BBQ, which I did not know until we moved here.


2. Giuseppe's Cafe - 925 Eight St. South From City Scene: "If Grandma's Italian cooking is what you're after, head to Giuseppe's, which specializes in pizza, pasta and friendly service." We visited here for lunch one day. It's right off I-65, sort of in a neighborhood, & the food was really very good. Have only been there once, but we'd go again. Very casual, but good Italian fare.



3. Classic Joe's - This place is close to our home & we used to go there quite a bit last summer when my hubby's son was working there. It's more of an upscale (but not extremely so) kind of place, with good American food done very well. There's a big oak tree out front with a huge deck built around it & they have live music on the weekends. Great place to sit & chill. The vanilla bread pudding is to die for!!

4. The Fish Market - I have to include this wonderful place too, even though it's on Sandi's list also. I had never seen a fish restaurant quite like this one until we came over here. My hubby loves this place & couldn't wait for us to go there & again, we are hooked. There's a new location out in our neck of the woods & that's the one we frequent. Wonderful fresh seafood, family friendly, & great prices too!




5. Edgar's Bakery & Cafe - I met some friends here for lunch a few weeks ago & was pleasantly surprised at what a great lunch menu they have. We got there early & it's a good thing, because lots of folks showed up for lunch. You can also grab something from the bakery on your way out the door. The baked goods will make you drool just looking at them through the glass! I have heard that this place has been around forever & they are known as THE bakery around here.










Edited to Add: We have been out to several of the more upscale places here in Birmingham & I'll give them a big shout-out too. The Copper Grill (went there on my birthday one year) is superb for seafood & steaks, as is Shula's. We've also been to the Hot & Hot Fish Club & Bottega (stepson worked there for several months last year too). Both of those were really great, pricey, but really good food. You know...the more upscale restaurants that have a wonderful presentation, delicious food, but you leave hungry?? So, that's one reason why we don't do upscale all the time. Classic Joe's, that I've already mentioned is very good too & they give you plenty of food. I guess that's one of my pet peeves. You spend a ton of money for a great meal & leave hungry? Something is wrong with that! Cause I'm tellin' y'all, I can really pack it in when I'm hungry!

That's it for the restaurant meme! I'm still learning about Birmingham, since we haven't been here all that long. If anyone else wants to play, just let me know! Have a great week!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

38 friends stopped by:

Julie said...

Oh - those are great finds! I love the bunny pillow and your creamware collection is really growing....uhh - time for a bigger display shelf!

Susie Q said...

Wonderful finds Rhoda! I adore the tureen and, of course, the bunny pillow!!

Someone beat me to the black and white garden piece and the yellow vase (Kim maybe? *smile*)...YOu always have such sweet things! Loved that dear painting too!

I keep checking!

One of these days I will be quick enough!

Love the restaurant meme. I have not been to Birmingham in a few years but, if we return, I will check out your picks!

Hugs,
Sue

Anonymous said...

for special occaisons, try The Highlands Bar and Grill - very upscale and the jack Daniels ice Cream is to die for!!

Anonymous said...

That bunny pillow is so perfect for your home. Very Cute! It's great that you keep finding those wonderful creamware pieces for your collection!

We got Jim & Nicks not too far from us last year. It's always packed!

I thought it's pronouced "mimi" like it all about me, me!

Manuela

Elle Jay Bee said...

Hi rhoda,
Thanks for visiting my blog and for the nice comment. Yours is definitely one of my favorite stops but right now I'm green with envy. That creamware soup tureen is heavenly. Oh how I wish I could tag along on one of your thrifting trips!! I promise I wouldn't trip you to get at the good stuff before you!! LOL

Have a great week,
Linda

Deserae said...

Rhoda,you really picked up some great finds this weekend!! I love the bunny pillow of course and the tureen and bottle are great finds too! Okay....I'm off to see if I *need* anything from your store :o)
-Des

Steph said...

I am so jealous! You got some great things! Anytime I have ever ventured to a yard sale, they have had nothing but junk~ stuff that should have gone to the dump in my opinion!

Michelle said...

I would love, love, love to lunch at Edgars! They are truly a Southern landmark!

PAT said...

More nifty things Rhoda!

Your restaurant places all look like great places!

I too, keep checking in at the store!!

Pat

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Edgar's Strawberry Cake!!!! M-m-m! Love your blog
--Susan from Leeds, Ala.

Sue said...

Rhoda,
Good finds, I love the cute bunny pillow with the picket fence and blue sky. That little dress will be adorable on you.
I'm going to skip the meme since we don't eat out that much either but I think it's a cute one and hope that some one in my area does one since we are relatively new here too.
Sue

Rosemary said...

I love your finds!!
Looks like you have some great eateries in your town.
Rosemary

Andi said...

Wow...you got some great things! Love the little bunny pillow and the soup/gravy tureen.

Next time we're in Birmingham we'll have to try some of the restaurants you mentioned. They all sound delightful!

Deb said...

Love your little needlepoint Bunny pillow - a great find & great price! Love the restaurant meme - I just did an "8 random things meme" :-}

Southern Heart said...

I love your finds, Rhoda! (that bunny pillow would have been calling my name if you'd sold it ;). I'm glad that you're finding some fun things of your own, too!

I'll do a restaurant tag on my next post, too...that was fun!

Naturegirl said...

You certainly got a few bargains at the sale! So we have the same lamps love bunnies and display shells in our home..more similarities!hugs NG

Justabeachkat said...

Great finds again. You go girl!

Love your list! We love Jim & Nicks and are happy we have one here too.

Hugs!
Kat

Anonymous said...

Edgar's cakes are AWESOME!!!

Morgan said...

I am LOL'ing...for real! I have that same little creaware tureen and just love it to pieces, it's one of my favorite things! You and I could be family, Rhoda, LOL!

Anonymous said...

Love your new treasures! :)

KLKinFLA said...

Great post! Lovely finds.

Meme means "same" in French. Have a great day!

Barbara said...

Those yard sales or car boot sales as they have here or charity shops can be fatal to visit. Exciting too. You did get some bargains.

ancient one said...

You do good at yard sales!! I always love a bargain, but hate to get up early enough to find many when I go to yard sales. LOL I enjoyed the tour of your dining room. It is lovely.~ann

Anonymous said...

That creamware tureen is lovely! Nice finds, all around! ~A :-)

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

I love your list...we could have been sitting side by side at Jim & Nicks and not even known it!
How funny!

Did you see that Kat left us some hints on great places in Destin... good eatin'

morninglorycottage said...

Hi Rhoda,
Thanks for stopping by the blog the other day. I put your name in the drawing. I also posted a picture of what I'm giving away. I love your finds!! I have a little soup tureen just like your find. I've enjoyed it for many years. Thanks for your sweet comments. Come back soon.
Amanda

Lallee said...

I have to go scrounge something up in the kitchen after reading about all the wonderful restaurants~one of the advantages of living in a large town.

Your little tourine is wonderful.

It's pronounced mim and according to Webster it means an idea, behavior, style, or usage that spreads from person to person within a culture. I was curious and looked it up when I did my first meme.

Lallee

Anonymous said...

Love your thrift finds! Am amazed at the darlin' things you found for a song. Wow, Birmingham looks like a great place to go "treasure hunting". What fun! Am glad to be visiting you again, having come first after your kind blog welcome. I enjoy it here! have a great day. :-)

Elle Jay Bee said...

Hi Rhoda,
Thanks for visiting me today and for putting me on your blogroll!
Now I'm off to return the compliment!

Linda

"Maggie & Kevin" said...

When Friday night comes, I anticipate the rush...getting up bright and early and seeing what wonderful finds are out there waiting for me. You've found some lovely things, especially the creamware and the bunny needle point.

Unknown said...

You always find the best stuff when you are yard saling. Love that little pillow. The restaurants sound great!

allie
www.mycozyhome.typepad.com

Kim -today's creative blog said...

holy moley, you found some good deals! And that pillow! Perfect. You can bet it was probably at least a $30 pillow brand new. I can't wait to hit some sales this weekend.

Betty Jo said...

Rhoda those are super finds! Love the tureen especially. We had a Jim and Nicks nearby when we lived near Nashville, but haven't seen one around here. Our son loves their cheese biscuits. I haven't figured out how to pronounce meme either, or what it means. I'll have to read some of your comments to see if anyone explained it. xoxo

CG said...

Rhoda, you and I both know that you have way too many bunnies...so hand that pillow over..ha!

Betty said...

Rhoda, the gift wrapping ideas are beautiful....think I would hate to open and mess the wrapping up....

Your yard sale finds are great....never can have too many bunnies, creamwear and the dress is so trendy....Betty

Betty said...

......creamware not creamwear....Betty

Anonymous said...

I love the little needlepoint bunny pillow~ but then you knew I would!

~*This Mama*~ said...

Rhoda, next time you go to Jim and Nicks you should try the "pig in a..." ...hmm, well, now I've forgotten what they call it. Anyhow, it's a HUGE baked potato LOADED and has barbeque on it and everything. OH MAN< it's to DIE for. Me and my hubby actually split one last time!