Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Presentations: A Passion for Gift Wrapping

Have you ever picked up a book or magazine that made you feel totally inadequate?? I was in the library recently & saw this new book on the shelf, Presentations: A Passion for Gift Wrapping by Carolyn Roehm. I love looking at pretty pictures, so thought I'd bring it home & browse through it. And wow, at the pretty pics inside! The packages that I wrap & give to friends have no resemblance to anything in this book, but it was fun to look at. Please tell me yours don't either! I have to tell you that my passion for gift wrapping is missing in action. My first inclination when I have to wrap a gift is to throw it in the nearest bag that fits the present & is the right theme bag for what I need. I'd love to take the time to wrap pretty packages, but sadly, I just do not do that. These are so, so pretty & I thought y'all might like to see them too. Will it change our lives & make us turn over a new gift wrapping leaf...turning out prettily wrapped packages with unique & frilly bows that are just too gorgeous to take apart? I doubt it, but we can dream, right?!

The book is divided into seasons with Spring, Summer, Autumn, & Winter ideas & a special section for kids ideas. She has some beautiful tablescapes in here too, which are always pretty to look at. Hope you're at least inspired!

(click to enlarge all the pics, you don't want to miss these details!)

































Weren't those just fabulous packages & tablescapes? If you do this already, I don't think I want to hear about it. I'm feeling terribly inept all of a sudden...the wrapping fairy did not visit my house.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

43 friends stopped by:

Anonymous said...

Oooh, what gorgeous pictures. I'll have to look for that book. I try to wrap my gifts with a little bit of flourish, but those pictured would really take a bit of time don't you think. I don't do all that. I like the idea of doing it though! Love that one with the doggy print paper!

Manuela

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhoda,

I have this same book and had the same response when I opened it up too! Just beautiful!

Hugs :)
Carol

Anonymous said...

I've checked this one out from the library before. I love a beautifully wrapped gift. I admit I only go all out on a gift-wrap if the recipient is one who appreciates the effort. My step Mom, my Sister in law always love a pretty gift!

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

Oh my, I WANT to have presents that are wrapped as beautifully...sometimes I even try...but sadly it is most often a pretty bag and tissue.

teaorwine said...

Can anyone else possibly have better taste than Carolyne Roehm? The photographs are a feast for the eyes.

PAT said...

Hi Rhoda

I love Carolyn Rhoem! This book is fabulous...might have to see if I can find it. I used to do up a package more than I do now. I feel inspired, just looking at these photos!

Pat

KLKinFLA said...

Gorgeous photos...I go to some effort with gifts, but mostly at Christmas when the gifts themselves can be considered decorations for a few weeks!

Rosemary said...

Wow!!!
I love all of those pictures, especially the Fall.
I am one of those people who have to wrap a pretty package, but I'm not that good.
Amazing,
Rosemary

sheila from life @ #17 said...

I used to be much better about wrapping...and then sort of fell into the any ol' giftbag lyin' about thing...but I'm recovering from that slump :)

nothing as great as these! the one I love best? the yellow with the butterflies...who wouldn't be just in a panic to open that box?!

and I meant to e-mail you...the package arrived, every thing wonderful & safe :)

thanks

Cindy said...

I LOVE to wrap presents! I have to get this book. There were a few times where I spent more money on wrapping a gift than I spent of the gift intself! I'm so competitive with some things in my life and this is one of them...I always want to have the most beautifully wrapped gift at a party. It's sound so horrible now that I'm actually writing about this! oh well...

Michelle said...

Love the ideas! I am a wrapping fanatic (yes, at Christmas I make a special trip just for paper and bows that all coordinate!). I love real ribbon and real, hand tied bows...presentation...it's in the details!

Julie said...

I absolutely adore Carolyn Roehm's creativity! I have several of her books. You should see her gardens!

Sandy McTier Designs said...

What beautiful wrapping and table scapes. I am lucky if I don't have two huge lumps on the ends ~ cause I'm too lazy sometimes to cut off the excess! How shameful.
Gonna have to nab some of those ideas for future wrappings.
Thanks for sharing.
Blessings

Andi said...

Those are so beautiful...the boxes could be empty and the gift would be the pretty package itself!

Love the ones with the black and white checked ribbon...and the blue and white made me think of Sue (Susie Q)@ Rabbit Run Cottage! I may have to get this book! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Wow Rhoda, they're just to beautiful to open.

Hugs,
Judy (in McDonough)

Southern Heart said...

Rhoda, I love her designs, and the photos today were especially lovely!

Southern Heart said...

Hi again, Rhoda :) I'm so glad that you enjoyed the photos. Since that sod is new (and my sons worked so hard putting it in for me---DS1 was thrilled to get me free golf course sod), we've watered like crazy this year. The crape myrtle misses most of that, though, because of where it is planted...it's such a good shrub around here, isn't it?

Yes, I use Picasa for those effects. I'm known in our family as a bad photographer, and my son can't believe that those are my photos on my blog. :) Thank goodness for digital, and Picasa!... even *I* can be a photographer! ;)

I use the "soft focus" in the "effects" part of the program. It has two sliding control buttons that let you control the amount (area) and depth of the soft focus part, so I just play with those two controls until I get the effect I'm wanting. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll try to give better instructions! :)

Kristi said...

It seems to me that the paper doesn't have to be fancy at all as long as you invest some time and money in the bow and some extra "flair".

After all the time and energy I put into finding the gifts, I don't think I have much left to be creative about the wrapping. At least I am neat and crease corners, which my new family makes fun of! Hey, I learned it from my dad.

http://sunnypondhome.blogspot.com

Tonja said...

Oh, My! Those are beautiful! But, I'm like you...I usually just look for a bag. Except at Christmas. I do get a little more into it then.. I love to wrap in brown craft paper and use pretty ribbons. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

My first job was working in the gift wrap department~ We didn't do anything as precious as this!

Great ideas!

carole said...

Glad I found you through FunkyJunkCo - those pictures and ideas are sooo beautiful!
Carole

Kristi said...

Wouldn't it be fun to take have a "gift wrapping party" with your girlfriends? Around Christmas, take all your package to one lady's house and everyone help each other come up with fun and unique ideas (with a book like this in front of them of course). I have scrapping evenings with friends and one Thanksgiving Eve I got together with a couple lady friends to make our desserts together in my friend's BIG kitchen! It was amazingly fun. Why not a wrapping party?

Elle Jay Bee said...

Hi Rhoda,
I used to put extra care into wrapping gifts but that was before I had my children, We can't do it all, can we??
I do take care to wrap the women in my life's gifts at Christmas though. I actually enjoy that. I save those gifts till just before Christmas and try to be creative.

Linda

CG said...

Looks like a great book..thanks for sharing all of those ideas with us. Giftwrap is my favorite thing to do. I've always tried to go the extra step to make or use something in a creative way to dress up a package. I've learned over the years that if you have a really cute eye catching "wrap" people don't even care what's inside, their so excited about the outside. Ant that's what makes it fun!

Simply Me Art said...

Hi Rhoda, Wow, the wrapping and Presentation is probably better than the gift itself. Those Photos are Amazing. Thank you for Sharing. Loved them. Jamie

ShabbyInTheCity said...

I might have to find that book so I can have a copy!
You know lots of new homes have wrapping centers built in now.

Kelly said...

beautiful! I came by to tell you a big thank you!! Your post on bronzing was exactly what I needed to motivate me to change my hideous builder brass ceiling fan. I used your tips and it looks great! I am now on a mission to bronze every light fixture in shiny brass that ourbuilder installed:-)

Lauralee said...

those are some beautiful pictures! how fun to look! don't feel inadequate.. really.. it just gets torn up! It is fun to recieve a beautifully wrapped gift though! thanks for sharing!

Donna, The Decorated House said...

I remember seeing this book before. She has some nice ideas. The dog one was very cute. I've seen lots of people wrap for their dogs, but never for their cats! Wonder if they do those, too. :)
Donna

Adriann said...

I didn't know that gift wrapping could be such a beautiful art form!!! Each one of those wrappings are works of art. I wouldn't want to open the gift...

Sophie Honeysuckle said...

Wow- I love the purple candy-stripe present the most,it's gorgeous!!

Anonymous said...

Wow! What inspiration!

Anonymous said...

Oh I know Rhoda! Carolyn's books are gorgeous and this one is no exception! I am the world's worst wrapper! Don't feel too bad. You are pretty amazing yourself!
xo,
Kim

bren said...

Beautiful pictures. I made a scrapbook/cookbook for my sister this past christmas and tried wrapping it extra special needless to say it looked NOTHING like any think in this book. Maybe next year I can try.

Unknown said...

Whoa! These make my humble gift wrap efforts look so elementary. I always think I'd rather spend more on the gift than waste it on fancy wrapping that gets tossed. But I have to admit, if I received something looking as good as these, I'd feel honored. Might not want to open it though.

Lizzie said...

I want this book too!!!

To be totally and completely honest, if someone gave me a gift wrapped like these, I wouldn't want to open it! I would prefer to just see the wrapped gift sitting out somewhere prominent where I could daydream about what was inside that could possibly compete with such a gorgeous exterior!

Sandy said...

Love these photos!
Eye-catching.
Sandy :)
For Reluctant Entertainers

Adriann said...

Rhoda,

That's exactly what has been happening. A fellow blogger suggested that I try deleting my temporary internet files, cookies and history. Everything acts very weird when you haven't done it for a while. And Voila, It worked!

I am still amazed by those beautiful works of art!!!

Anonymous said...

My dearest Rhoda, your blog is a gift wrapped up and ready for us to open each time you post. The book is lovely and inspiring and so are you!!!

Cherry xxx

Jen Kershner said...

Well, I'd love for my presents to look like that, but they don't. I aspire to it though. I will have to check out that book.

Lana Manis said...

Oh my! WHO would want to open something as lovely at those gifts? I'd want to save it and admire it... forget what's inside, lol!

Lana

Justabeachkat said...

Beautiful photos in this post! Great ideas too. I'd almost hate to unwrap packages that look this good. Thanks!

Hugs!
Kat

Anonymous said...

I love the wrapped gifts, they are so creative. I am going to a baby shower this weekend and I think I am going to try and use one of the ideas.
Thanks : ) Bren

http://benzy55.typepad.com/my_weblog/