Friday, July 13, 2007

Show & Tell Friday

How's this for an intro picture? First, I wanted to show you the new outdoor light fixture that I put up last week. Remember the one I found at the yardsale a few weeks ago? Well, I got it hung up & WOW, does it look great. See the first pic? Have you ever in your life seen a butt-uglier light fixture for the front porch? Yeah, me neither!
I climbed up the ladder(well, actually the neighbor's ladder) & got this baby hung last week & I couldn't be happier with it. I think I mentioned that my hubby is not handy...well, he's not, so I have to try these things myself. I could probably talk him into helping more, but then I'd have to wait & wait & I'm just not too patient, so I just do it myself. I've changed out about 10 light fixtures in the whole house & don't have too many left to do.

Need some ideas for the tops of your kitchen cabinets? Keep reading....
We're always looking for inspirations on how to display things, so I thought I'd share the top of my kitchen cabinets. I've gone through different phases with the tops of my cabinets & in my old house had things all across there, but when we moved here, these cabinets just seemed to call out for individual vignettes, so I've spaced out things & had fun putting things together in each little area. The above area is just a combination of things that I've collected. The large bowl in the back was a birthday present one year, the green candle holders I picked up on clearance, the banana shaped pottery piece was my mom's (she got it for a wedding present) & she gave it to me. I always thought it was the ugliest thing, but as I got older I appreciated it for the nice pottery it is & we discovered it's collectible. I think it's by Hull (can't remember now). The large pear was a gift from a friend from another decorating board that I frequent (thanks Sally, see I painted it!). And that's a faux ceramic cantalope on the left (I think I got that at Tues. AM).
This is another metal container that I decoupaged years ago. It has some cute feet too that you can't see here. I used napkins and wallpaper (bunnies, of course!).
Some blue & white pieces that I've had for a long time, grouped together they make a nice collection. One thing I love to pick up is small columns like the one here. I have used them so many places & they really come in handy for displaying things. You can't have enough of these types of things.

More bunnies & a cabbage platter that was on clearance from TJ Maxx. The bunny planter came from Big Lots.
More pottery pieces that I have had for years. There was plenty of room for them up here & I love how they look. The dried hydrangeas came from my garden last year.
A little oil painting of bunnies I picked up years ago too, with another blue/white bunny. Blue & white is not the predominant color in here, but I like just a little bit of it since some of the artwork in the kitchen has a touch of blue.
And, the new tole tray that I just found on the left, joins the one on the right that I found years ago at another yardsale. I don't find these often, but when I do, I snatch them up!
Iron rooster that a dear friend gave me for a wedding present sits up on one corner with a blue/white plate behind him.
(Wall color in kitchen is Laura Ashley Olive 4 (I know someone will ask!) LOL)

Hope you got some ideas for your own kitchen! I know it helps me to see pictures of what others have done using the things they have for displays. And I love having pretty pieces up there to look at!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

41 friends stopped by:

Lana Manis said...

Thank you for sharing photos of your beautiful kitchen. I'm trying to talk my husband into leaving the tops of the cabinets open like yours when we re-do them. Wish me luck!

Lana

savvycityfarmer said...

A guided home tour...nothing better than that on a summer Friday morning...unfortunately my cupboards go all the way to the ceiling....booohoo
Beautiful taste

Kristi said...

Wow! Thanks for showing your kitchen. First of all, we are seriously thinking of redoing our kitchen early next year. I've been poring over magazine and have been oddly drawn to white cabinets. I say oddly because I generally like the stained wood look and white kitchen cabinets made me think of yucky apartment kitchens I've had in the past. Your gorgeous kitchen again confirms my new found love for white cabinets. Now what material is on your counter tops? I am thinking of going with a butcher block. Also a bead board back splash (originally wanted tiles). I've seen the bead board idea in two photos now. And your kitchen wall color would be perfect to paint the bead board! Amazing. Anyway, I think a deep colored butcher block counter and wood floors will bring in the warmth I want.

Secondly, thanks for the vignettes. Right now we have soffits above our kitchen cabinets, and we will probably have them removed and bring the cabinets to the ceiling, but I need all kinds of ideas for the top of my china cabinet and a book case in the living room.

Finally, love the new light! Sounds like our husbands are similar in the fix-it department. Except mine is just now slowly starting to admit he's not so handy. Between he and I, I definitely excel at the electrical projects!

With that... off to the yard sales for me. I made sure to put "antiques" in my search for the website that lists our local yard sales! ;-)

Anonymous said...

I love your new light fixture, and how impressive that you switched it out yourself!

Love all of your top-of-the-cabinets vignettes. Our cabs go all the way up to the ceiling, and I sometimes miss having that space to decorate, but we desperately needed the storage space instead.

Cherdecor said...

I have just found your blog recently and have enjoyed your decorating skills. I love the vignettes on top of your cabinets. I wish mine were open so I could decorate them.

Suzanne said...

Rhoda~ the tops of my kitchen cabinets are in need of a "redo"! Thanks for all the inspiration...I especially love that pear! :)

linda t said...

Dang, I miss having cabinets that allow me to have displays on top! Love how it draws the eye up!
Sooo pretty Rhoda! Thanks for sharing!

Rosemary said...

I'm glad I got to see your kitchen. I guess this is the week for sharing kitchens. I love TJ Maxx!!
Your new light fixture is really pretty. The old one, not so good.
I guess
Have a wonderful weekend!
Rosemary

PAT said...

Good job with that light fixture Rhoda...makes all the difference in the world!

Enjoyed your show & tell.

Have a great weekend...Pat

morninglorycottage said...

Rhoda,
Thanks for show and tell. I really enjoyed. Also loved how you phrased your ugly light. I was LOL for sure. ;-) My cabinets go all the way to the ceiling, so no display space up there for me. :-( Have a great weekend.

Betty said...

Wow, Rhoda, the displays are charming and so appealing to the eye....I like all your accessories.....Happy Hunting tomorrow....you don't need any luck.....Betty

Adriann said...

Actually, I got some great ideas! I never thought to use the space up there for decoration. I've been using it for storage and it's "butt ugly" to be honest. LOL!!!

Thank you!

Enjoy the weekend!

Steph said...

You are really quite talented! Thanks for sharing the pictures!
And I am totally impressed that you switch out your lights by yourself! Maybe I will have to start doing that instead of waiting for hubby!

Ruth Welter said...

Rhoda, you've given me some great ideas for the tops of the kitchen cabinets. Yours look great. I really need to do something with mine.

It's a Mom Thing said...

I love the little groupings you have on top of your cabinets. Unfortunately, my soffits go to the ceiling and I'm not up for tearing them down and replacing them with molding. Not any time soon, at least. But I think the groupins work well!

I love the pop of the blue and white pottery against the green walls. And speaking of...I'm glad you posted the paint color. I was going to ask. :)

Southern Heart said...

Everything looks so pretty, Rhoda! I wish I could find trays like that at yard sales. Did you go this morning? I had to work today, so no goodies this morning....

I am so impressed that you hung your light fixture yourself. I will try a lot of things, but wiring makes me antsy. Your new fixture looks very pretty.

BTW, I love your counter and backsplash. I've been exploring some ideas for mine...did you do that, or have a tile contractor do it for you? It's very pretty.

xo, Andrea

Anonymous said...

Very nice......now I wish I had left the tops open when we put in our new cabinets....but I so love my crown molding and longer cabinets.

And nice job with the light fixture.

Happy hunting over the week-end.

Kathy =)

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Thank you all for stopping by this Friday! I'm so happy to hear your comments. Several of you asked about my kitchen counters. Well, they were done by the previous owner & while I love the tumbled marble backsplash that he did, I'm not so happy with it on the countertops. I'd love to replace it with something smooth (hopefully granite of some form) one of these days. The texture is just too rough & pitted to work well for a countertop. But, It looks pretty for now. I would not recommend tumbled marble for countertops, too much grout to deal with also. Nothing will happen anytime soon though, so they will be staying as is for awhile.

Hope y'all have a great weekend!

Rhoda

Anonymous said...

I'm very impressed that you hung your light fixture yourself! That's one thing I'm afraid to tackle. Lovely vignettes on top of your kitchen cabinets - luv all the bunny stuff!

Manuela

SarahWhite said...

Rho, Rho, Rho your boat..give me back that pear! Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily...

:)

It all looks GOOD...well, except for those Tole trays. Those really don't do your house any justice...I'll give you $100 for the pair? :)

You must have checked out all the good library books...I was there last night and nadda. Nothin'. Bummer.

Which sales are you heading to tomorrow...I'm going to try and get there first!! I bet it will be a good day for deals with the expected rain...good luck to ya!

Lallee said...

Beautiful merchandising, Rhoda. The tole trays are particularly striking against your paint color.The top of my cabinets don't have a shelf, which has always been disappointing. You know how one can never have enough flat spaces to decorate ;-)

Lallee

carole said...

Haha, I was all set to ask about the gorgeous paint, thanks for the info. BEAUTIFUL kitchen. I have been thinking about changing my kitchen chandelier but know the hubby will say "the one we have is just fine".I am tempted to try it myself. I may seek out some advice from you if I get up the courage to attempt it. Thanks for visiting my blog too.

Gretchen said...

HAHA... RE: color, I was wondering what color it is. Your house is very warm and inviting. Thank you for sharing. Your blog is now bookmarked in my favorites. Have a great weekend!

Gretchen said...

HAHA... RE: color, I was wondering what color it is. Your house is very warm and inviting. Thank you for sharing. Your blog is now bookmarked in my favorites. Have a great weekend!

LivingTheLife said...

Rhoda...you had me falling out of my chair laughing right out of the gate with your first few lines...I believe "butt ugly" was the term used to describe your porch light...and you asked if we had ever seen anything uglier...well, besides the fact that struck me as so funny...b/c it is a phrase I use often myself ( I know that is bad...huh) but that light looks just like the one on my porch that we need to replace desperately...except mine is trimmed in black...OR dirt...I haven't figured that out yet...but I did LOVE your new light fixture...so now I'm going to have to go out and find a new one...you know...to replace that ole butt ugly one we have!! Thanks for all your daily inspirations...you have style and taste....my friend...and humor to boot...gotta love that!!

Jennifer said...

I really love what you have done in your kitchen. You are so talented and creative. Thank you for sharing your inspiring home.
~Jen

Tonja said...

I love doing small vignettes, too, these are great. I like how you used a variety of materials in each. Good job! Thanks for sharing!

Blessings,
Tonja

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Butt ugly girlfriend! The new one is so much better.
Love your vignettes. You have such an eye. BTW there is a green rooster at BigLots right now calling your name!

Linda said...

Love that new non"butt ugly" light fixture. I about spit out my drink over that. :) I also enjoyed looking at the decor on your kitchen cabinets. God has certainly given you a gift in the area of decorating. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Blessings

La Tea Dah said...

Lovely ideas, Rhoda. . .and I love the new light fixture. Good for you!

And thanks for noticing my new header. My son created it for me. I told him I wanted a scrolly, grunge (that's what they call it) look --- and that's what he came up with. I like the falling flowers.

:) LaTeaDah

Anonymous said...

Nothing is more inspiring than seeing a hardworking homeowners's OWN creativity and design - thank you for sharing your beautiful kitchen with us - job well done, as always Rhoda!
xo,
Kim

Diane said...

Hi Rhoda. I saw where you visited my blog. Thanks for leaving a comment :o)
Wish I was as handy around the house as you, lol. Thank God and good for me that my hubby is wonderful to do things around the house for me! Diane

Jill said...

Oh, I just loved seeing these photos. My cabinets in this house go all the way to the ceiling, but I've really enjoyed decorating cabinets in other places I've lived.

CatieAn said...

HI Rhoda

i LOVE your blog. I am like you in the 50 generation but you are much younger heheh

still it is nice to find some women in our age range with blogs as well.

we had a house fire three years ago and am still redoing the 'constuction contractor's idea of a great home. He hated the colors we used in out rooms but white and off white are NOT wall colors for me ever.

I insisted an open area above the cabinets even though they are not very tall. the outerwalls stayed put and so the ceilings were put back to original. that is fine with me.

i love all your creativity inside and out.
let's visit sometime!!
catie

Justabeachkat said...

You go girl! Climbing ladders and hanging light fixtures. You amaze me. I loved visiting your beautiful kitchen.

Hugs!
Kat

Cheryl Wray said...

Those are some beautiful cabinet decorations!! Your kitchen is gorgeous!!

Susie Q said...

Just a gorgeous kitchen dear Rhoda! I have so many ideas for ours...we want new flooring and tiled back splashes and counter tops eventually. New paint will happen soon though.

I love having open cabinets to display fun things.

Your treasures are so pretty and
are simply a fest for the eyes!

Hugs,
Sue

Betty Jo said...

"Butt uglier light fixture." Rhoda you just crack me up! Congrats on hanging your own light. It looks awesome. I adore the vignettes in your kitchen and your lovely white cabinets. I so wish my cabinets were white. I do at least have space to place stuff above them as you've done. I used to do vignettes, but now spread mine out. Funny how we move in and out with our decor inspirations, isn't it? If I can get up there, I'll do a photo to post one of these days. xoxo

Elle Jay Bee said...

Hi Rhoda,
What lovely attention to detail...it makes your kitchen all the more interesting. I always have my husband build our cabinets with display space above. It is another great spot for treasures, especially at the holidays.
By the way, great job on the the light. It has a lot of presence!!

Linda

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

I enjoy your blog and the lovely pictures of your home, ETC! I'm a Southern girl too, grew up in Huntsville, but have been in Florida many years!

Katherine

Unknown said...

Rhoda, your kitchen is very beautiful. I really love all of the displays, and especially love that bunny painting - it's precious. Love all the colors in your kitchen as well!!

allie
www.mycozyhome.typepad.com