Monday, July 16, 2007

A Southern Living Lunch with the girls....

Do you have some fun girlfriends that you really enjoy getting together with? I've managed to meet some really nice ladies since I've moved here who all live in the same neighborhood (Tricia, Maureen, Renee & Sandy) & they've allowed me to be part of their "empty nest" group (so dubbed by us!) & we try to get together for lunches & outings about once a month or so (that is when someone is not traveling). We went to the Street of Dreams last month. Last week, 3 of us met at Tricia's house for lunch. She told us she had a great Southern Living chicken salad recipe she wanted to try & so why didn't we all meet for lunch at her house. She definitely did not have to twist our arms! We were there with bells on. We all brought something & it was the most delicious lunch ever! The chicken salad was presented so prettily on a pedestal plate & was it ever so wonderful. We all raved about it & Tricia sent the recipe to us. She said it was from the June SL magazine & she has tried several recipes from that issue that were great. So, I'll share some of them with you in case you're looking for some new ones to try this summer. Here's the chicken salad, beautifully displayed. We ooohed & ahhhhd over how pretty it was & we didn't want to cut into it...but, we managed.


CHA-CHA CHICKEN SALAD
From June 2007 Southern Living

Ingredients:
8 oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened
1 cup mayonnaise
2 tsp. curry powder
1 tsp. salt
6 cups chopped cooked chicken (1 ½ rotisserie chicken)
8 oz. can crushed pineapple (do not drain)
2/3 cup orange-flavored sweetened dried cranberries
1 cup chopped roasted, salted almonds
Garnishes: fresh herbs, blackberries, raspberries, sliced peaches

Directions:
1. Whisk together cream cheese and next 3 ingredients in a large bowl; stir in chicken, pineapple, and cranberries just until blended.

2. If desired, spoon mixture into a plastic wrap-lined 8-inch round cake pan; cover and chill at least 8 hours or up to 24 hours. Invert chicken salad onto a cake stand, and remove plastic wrap. Gently press chopped almonds onto sides of chicken salad. Garnish, if desired. TRICIA’S ASPARAGUS VINAIGRETTE

Ingredients:
¾ cup olive oil
¼ cup white wine vinegar
2 T. capers, drained
1 T. minced onion
1 T. chopped fresh parsley
1 ½ tsp. fresh tarragon or ½ tsp. dried
1 ½ tsp. chopped chives
½ tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1 ½ to 2 lbs. asparagus
optional (sliced tomatoes to go with the asparagus)

Directions:
Wash, peel, blanch and diagonally slice asparagus into bite-size pieces. Combine all the other ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Add asparagus and toss. Refrigerate for several hours. Yield: 8 servings

Tricia’s Variation: ( Two tomatoes and ¾ # asparagus) Prepare half of the marinade recipe. Blanch the trimmed asparagus in whole pieces. Place at one end a shallow rectangle dish. Slice two tomatoes and layer at the other end of the dish. Spoon the marinade evenly over the asparagus and tomatoes. Refrigerate for several hours. Yield: 4 servings
Croissants & sweet muffins finished it off.
Tricia's beautiful screened porch. We didn't eat out here that day, as it was a little muggy. Tricia has an absolutely beautiful home.
Renee brought the yummiest dessert ever, Chocolate Roulage, and she shared the recipe with us too! Every bite of this meal was just delicious. I got off easy & brought the croissants. Renee said that the Roulage is a little tricky, so it might be something you try for a special occasion. It was really, really good!

CHOCOLATE ROULAGE
(by Linda Campbell)

Grease jelly roll pan with margarine or Pam
Line with wax paper
Grease wax paper with margarine or Pam
Make sure to get in corners
Set aside
Spread tea towel on a flat surface & coat lightly with cocoa

Cake:
5 eggs separated/ 1 c 4x powdered sugar/ 3 T cocoa


Beat egg whites until stiff
Set aside
Beat egg yolks until pale
Beat in confectioners sugar & cocoa
Fold in egg whites
Spread mixture in pan
Bake about 16 min at 325
Cake will spring back when lightly touched
Do not overbake
Turn cake onto coated towel
Remove pan & wax paper
Roll up cake in the towel while hot
Set on wire rack to cool

Filling:
1 pt heavy whipping creamc 4x confectioners sugar 1 t vanilla
Whip together & set aside in refrigerator until cake is ready
When cake is cool, unroll & spread with filling
Reroll
Wrap in freezer foil
Freeze until ready to serve
Thaw at least 1 hour before slicing

*************************************************

Weekend Yardsale finds for those who love the deals!

Black iron floor lamp - $3.00 - Don't know where I'll put it, but for that price was not about to pass it up. I'll probably use it somewhere & then put it on our porch when we eventually screen it.
2 More black iron fixtures to change out more ugly builder's brass outdoor lights....one will go on the back deck & one by the garage. I was so happy to find these at $3.00 each. They just need a little cleaning & up they will go.
In fact, I got busy Sunday & hung them both. Here's a before & after of one of them. Ahhh, isn't that so much better! The other one is on the deck.
Cute Express cotton top - 50 cents, looks brand new.
And, yet another Harolds skirt in my size for 50 cents. Can you believe all the designer clothes out there that people just get tired of?! It fits me perfect.

Hope you all had a great weekend & are ready for a good week! We are getting some much needed showers this last week & are very thankful for that.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

39 friends stopped by:

Anonymous said...

What a delightful lunch you all had! LOL, I never knew chicken salad could look so good! It all looked and sounded yummo. I felt as if I was there with you all. Fun post. And where in the world are you finding these three dollar finds?! Those black iron fixtures are beautiful. The first one you had looked fine, til you put up the new one. What a difference. And finding great clothes for 50 cents is my idea of a good time! Have a great day. :-)

willzmom said...

I remember seeing that Chicken Salad recipe in SL and thinking how good it would be. Thanks for putting yourself out there and trying it for me! I love the black light fixtures, what a big difference!

Tracey said...

All that food looks so yummy and being with great friends makes it all that more special!

By the way, I'm so impressed that you know how to change out those light fixtures! I wouldn't have a clue!

Anonymous said...

Good Morning Rhoda.....

Always fun to check in and see what you found on your "hunts" !!!

The fixture looks amazing..what a facelift.

Love Tricia's porch...very homey.

Glad to hear you are getting rain..

Have a great week....
Kathy =)

Kristi said...

Tricia has a gorgeous house and the food looked delicious! I met with some ladies from a local club last night for tea and sweets. I will post my recipe for mixed nut bars on my blog, which were my contribution. They were unofficially voted the best sweet there. Though I liked a white chocolate cherry dessert!

I might just have to start getting Southern Living Magazine. I always feel like I am not "allowed" because I am a northerner. My parents are from Missouri, is that southern enough?

Julie said...

Well - although living on a farm is 99% wonderful, having a lot of neighbors is not an option, so I envy you! I have one close friend who lives about a 1/4 mile down the road from me. Her name is Debbie and I adore her.

Your luncheon sounded so fun!!

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

I just want to know how you manage to stay so trim, sigh. Just looking at that scrumptious meal and I have gained three pounds...(and it's only three because I got up and got on the ski trainer! :) )

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

That chicken salad sounds yummy! I'll have to give it a try.

I canceled my Southern Living this year~ I was tired of the same thing month after month. So thanks for sharing the recipe =D

linda t said...

You amaze me... that you do electrical work!
And thanks for the sharing the recipes! Southern Living has the BEST recipes! Can't wait to make it!

Suzanne said...

Wow, what a lovely spread! It all looks so yummy! And Tricia's house looks beautiful.
The black fixtures look great too...I'm amazed that you do your own electrical work!

Rosemary said...

Hi Rhoda,
Wow, what nice friends! The recipes sound great. I love to try new ones. What a lovely home too.
You are the queen of finding good things for very little money.
Thanks for sharing with us.
Rosemary

OldBagNewTricks said...

Rhoda, what a nice fun group of friends and neighbors you have. And that chicken salad looks delicious. And plated so pretty. Thanks for including us in the party.

Jenny

ThreeGirlyGirls said...

Sorry I haven't told you yet, But I love the cross that I bought from you!! It's awesome!! Thanks!! I look foreword to seeing some more things to buy!! I love to see all your neat stuff!! You must live in an area that has some good yard sales!! =) Take care!

Linda said...

Sounds like a great lunch and fun fellowship with your friends. I can't believe the finds you score at yard sales. Especially the clothes. Once again I am impressed that you hang things involving electricity I am a chicken.
Blessings

Southern Heart said...

Your lunch with your friends sounded like such a fun time, and with such yummy food, too! Thanks for sharing the recipes....I will definitely be trying those. Your friend has such a lovely home.

You did good on your sales, too! I wish we could go together!

Andrea

Anonymous said...

My goodness now I'm hungry. What a delicious and delightful lunch ya'll had :)

Anonymous said...

What a delish lunch! The ingredients in the chicken salad sound yummy. Your light fixture looks amazing (I'm still amazed that you do the wiring yourself)!

Manuela

Anonymous said...

Yummy! I'm going to make that chicken salad - and the asparagus and tomatoes - and the dessert! On the dessert recipe, for the filling, how much confectioner's sugar?

I love the light fixtures. The one you showed really looks nice - shows up so much better than the brass one. Good job!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hey, Lynne, that line was sort of running together on the chocolate Roulage recipe, so I went back & separated it. It's 1 cup conf. sugar!

I hope some of you will try that chicken salad. I'm definitely going to make it sometime...just the presentation is great, not to mention the taste!

xo,
Rhoda

bren said...

What a pleasant lunch. We don't have any neighbors where I am. I have missed out on that experience. The chicken salad sounds delicious. I will have to try it.

The French Nest said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful lunch, and the food looks divine! Catching up with the girls is always a treat!

Kate

"Maggie & Kevin" said...

Everything looks so wonderful, thank you for sharing your day and the recipes. Love the black iron fixtures!

Deb said...

I love the idea of an "empty nest group" :-} It sounds (and looks) like you have a great time together. Thanks for the recipes! They look delicious.
Great weekend yard sale finds!!

Cheryl Wray said...

Wow!!! That looks like a wonderful lunch! I especially am envious of the asparagus and tomatoes!! YUMMY!!! (And the roulage...yummy again!)

Anonymous said...

Wow, Rhoda, your lunch looks great! I'm definitely going to try the chicken salad and asparagus recipes. It's so great you have found some good friends in your neighborhood. That's a rare treasure indeed!

Love your yard sale finds, and the black outdoor light looks so much better than what you had before.

PAT said...

Hi Rhoda, the recipes sound delish and I love your friends screened porch.

Your "new" outdoor fixtures are pretty close to the ones we have. Only a subtle difference. Great buys and great looking!

I'm going to make note of the recipes.

We had a great extended weekend.
Pat

Donna, The Decorated House said...

That looks like a yummy lunch!

You crack me up Ms. Electrican! You are really going right through all those ugly old fixtures. You must have been paying attention all those years. The new ones outside look great!
Donna

Justabeachkat said...

Rhoda

Wow...everything sounds and looked wonderful, especially the chicken salad. What a beautiful presentation. I must try this. Thanks for the recipe. Love the new light fixtures.

Hugs!
Kat

Simply Me Art said...

That Lunch looks Amazing. I am trying the Chicken Salad this week. Thank you Ladies for sharing. How Lucky you all get to get together. jamie

Lacy said...

Rhoda...I'll definitely try all the recipes!!!..but..I really love the idea of getting together with your group of 'lady' friends!!!...especially on a monthly basis...neat idea...love all your 'finds', too!!!..thanks for sharing...Lacy

Anonymous said...

I stopped just at the Chocolate Roullage...the saliva jambed the keyboard. That is some lovely living you are doing and I SO miss America, right now...Thanks for doing a wonderful blog and for the recipes!

Lallee said...

Girlfriend lunches are the best. Enjoying each other's cooking just takes it up another notch. I'd love to try the chicken salad recipe--very different. It was presented in such a pretty way. I need to remember that, too. Thank you for sharing, Rhoda.

The new fixtures looks great!

Anonymous said...

howdy rhoda! cross out the obe! and come and get back in touch! busy but here just trying to hide away a bit:)I'm slowly making my rounds to all of my pals blogs. I have slowly made some' real live gal pals since moving, it has not been the easiest thing to do here..but it is getting better. great to catch up with you!

Anonymous said...

Oh my Rhoda!!!!!Thank you so much for those perfect SL recipes. Your pictures are simply beautiful!!!Thank You!!!!

Hugs,
Carol

Take a look at my 100th post on my blog for a little giveaway!!!
http://raisedincotton.typepad.com/

Susie Q said...

What a wonderful luncheon!
Thank you so much for including these delicious recipes!

I have a luncheon soon and these might just be the additions I am looking for!

Your new fixtures look so nice. I am looking for new front porch and black porch fixtures too and I so admire you doing it all yourself! You go girl!

Hugs,
Sue

Michelle said...

I want to come (pouting, of course). Everything looks too good to eat.

Anonymous said...

Aren't you sweet to share your wonderful lunch and time with us! Everything looks SO scrumptious! Girlfriend luncheons are THE sweetest! And I enjoyed seeing your latest finds - great scores again Miss Rhoda!!
xo,
Kim

ShabbyInTheCity said...

Yum, yum and yum again!! What a sweet day :) I might try this chicken salad. Love the SL serving dishes.

Nicoletobusy3 said...

Rhoda!
I tried the Cha Cha chicken salad and it was YUMMY! The flavor is amazing. Thanks for sharing this amazing recipe. I have tucked away in my recipe book. Happy Cooking! Nicole