Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Before & After: Brass to Bronze Light Fixture

I managed to get a project done the week before I started working. Here's another fairly ugly, standard builder's brass light fixture in the breakfast area. Since it's not in the budget to replace it anytime soon, I figured I might as well bronze it. I got this project finished the week before I went back to work. It was nice to get that out of the way.
So, I took it down, went outside & sprayed it all over with white primer.
I missed taking a pic of the black spray, but next came a coat of Satin spray paint in black, to cover all the white primer. Tape off electrical parts first. Beginning coat of the Burnt Sienna & Bronze craft paints.
Here they are all ready to spread on with the damp sea sponge. You just daub & then wipe off the excess with an old rag.
And, here's the finished project! I think it looks SO much better & adds to the touches of black I have in the kitchen. And, it was just the cost of a can of spray paint! How's that for cheap & easy? I'd still like to do the diningroom fixture too, but my hubby wants me to leave it alone. So, I pick my battles...I told him I'll leave it for now, but hehhh-hehhh, I'll deal with it later, either with a new fixture eventually or painting it. You know we eventually win!

Now, get out there & paint some brass for me! This is really an easy way to update those old fixtures if you really don't want to buy new ones right away.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

45 friends stopped by:

Anonymous said...

Great job on the chandelier! It looks so much better. I need to get up the nerve to refinish something like this.

Anonymous said...

Love it, Rhoda! Magic with just paint........can't beat that!

bonnie

Anonymous said...

You are the QUEEN of refinishing! Just wonderful! Love it!
xo,
Kim

Alice said...

What a difference the paint made. Your chandelier went from okay to unique and special.

Tina Leigh said...

Now you said you were going back to work & wouldn't have time to blog as much! WOMAN....you are still busy as ever! Wish I had your talent!

Lizzie said...

Great job on the chandelier. I love how it turned out- sometimes brass is just too flashy for me. Our dining room chandelier is brass, and this would be a nice project for us, too. Thanks for the inspiration!

Nicoletobusy3 said...

How do you keep yourself so busy? You're always doing something. LOL! I shouldn't be talking because I too keep myslef pretty busy with kiddos and decorating. Love how it turned out. Happy Decorating!

willzmom said...

I'm gonna hit the Goodwill for a brass lamp to 'play' with!

Gretchen said...

It's amazing what can be done to remake something. :)

Looks great!

Elle Jay Bee said...

I just caught myself with my mouth literally hanging open!! I've painted light fixtures before, but never with this success!! It looks like you bought it factory finished from a lighting manufacturer! Brilliant!!
You are a decorating diva, for sure!!!

My hat's off to you,
Linda

Betty said...

The light fixture looks really great....

I plan to paint something this week....

Please keep blogging!!!!!!!Betty

It's a Mom Thing said...

Holy Cow. That's all you have to do. I never knew you used regular craft paint! Does the bronze colored paint have a shine to it? I still don't think I could make mine look as good as yours. You are good!

Sandy McTier Designs said...

You are fabulous! So that is that chandelier. Amazing what a bottle of paint and so know how can do to alter something huh?!

Have a wonderful day.

Sandy

Rosemary said...

It looks so great!! Good job!
I did that with my two chandeliers. Only I did it with the rust process.
They look so much better than shiney brass.
Give it a couple of months, and your husband will forget about it. Then you can do the next one.
Have a great day!

Donna, The Decorated House said...

Even after doing this a dozen or more times, I love seeing the big change!
I'm putting my bet on your having a bit of change with the DR one, too. Sooner or later. :)
Donna

Anonymous said...

It really does look so much better! How's your door handle holding up. I've been thinking of painting mine and was just wondering if your still happy with it.

Manuela

Lallee said...

I always love seeing what you've painted, Rhoda. Another wonderful redo!

Debra from Bungalow said...

Awesome!!! Thanks for the inspiration as I REALLY need to do this.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness I am fixing to do the same with a free chandelier I aquired from my brother-in-law.
I just love visiting your site, you have so many great ideas and creations.

Thanks,
Blanca

Cindy said...

What a huge difference. When I scrolled back up to look at the original it just looked so much cheaper looking compared to what it looks like now! Great job!

PAT said...

This is a fun project, I've enjoyed doing a time or two, thanks to Rhoda's instructions! I too, see that dining room chandy being Rhoda-ized soon!

Looks wonderful, Rhoda!

Pat

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Thank you all for stopping by! I really hope some of you will try this..it truly is easy & it's just paint. Can't get any easier than that.

Blanca, I looked for your blog by clicking on your name, but don't see it. Do you have a blog??

I really love reading every comment, so I so appreciate you all taking the time to stop by & leave me a note! Hope ya'll have a great week.

xo,
Rhoda

Justabeachkat said...

Great improvement! You go girl!

Hope you're still enjoying your job.

Hugs!
Kat

Steph said...

Love it! You did a great job!

Anonymous said...

I just found your page a few days ago. I love you page and your home. the light looks AWSOME. i can tell your a Little woman with lots of guts1 hehe.Keep up the great work.

Linda said...

This looks awesome. I just painted a brass one black but I may just go back and add the bronze. It looks very rich.
Blessings

Anonymous said...

That is AMAZING!!!
I had a hanging light in the dining room that could use this treatment!
WoW!!!!!

CG said...

Looks great! I remember in my old house I did this with one of mine but I didn't take it down..gosh it was a nightmare but ended up looking o.k. It would have been easier if I had taken it down. I'll know next time.

Adriann said...

It's amazing what a little imagination and paint will do. Great job!

Kristi said...

You've done it again! You are just amazing and quite an inspiration to me! Looks 100 times better!

Susie Q said...

You are the Queen of home fix up/pretty up! I bow to you dear Rhoda!

LOVE it!

Hugs,
Sue

Anonymous said...

You've given my inspiration! I've got an old crystal chandler picked up on the side of the road I've been meaning to spiff up for some time.

Cheryl Wray said...

That looks so great!!!! I am impressed!!

Sandy said...

Uh, I was going to ask if you'd come over and help me paint some of our "old" "retro" lights!
Please?
Love the photos.
Sandy

Sonya said...

Can you come live with me and redo my house? This is awesome! You and my mother would get along fabulously!

Anonymous said...

Wow, Rhoda! I so agree with all the gals here . . . what an awesome transformation! Like others, I scrolled back up to see it again after I read through. Simple, and amazing. Thanks for sharing. Looks like you have started a refinishing revolution here! ;-)

Loved your comments on your visit the other day. My bike does take me to some wonderful places. Could tell you loved the outdoors, too, when I saw your AL countryside photos! Are we all blessed, or what?! Hugs. :-)

Andi said...

Wow! That really turned out nice Rhoda. You've been a busy girl! Hope the new job is going well too!

savvycityfarmer said...

The million dollar look for a buck!!!
Go girl

savvycityfarmer said...

Oh...p.s. take a peek at
http://stuffintheburbs.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhoda

What a transformation. It looks terrific!

Marie x

Unknown said...

I love this. In fact, I did a little painting yesterday using your ideas. I shared a little on my blog. Thanks for sharing with all of us. Glad to know your new job is going well.

Morgan said...

I'm laughing over "we always win"...that seems to be pretty true!!

That fixture looks marvelous, what a difference! You are so good at that, Rhoda...

Jen Kershner said...

Rhoda- Nobody does the faux finish quite like you. It looks great!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting pictures of the paint. I had been looking for it since you posted the lamps. Now I know what I need and exactly what it looks like. I also know where to find it.

Anonymous said...

I have a question?? I have two chandeliers that I want to paint as well. The cords and the metal hooks or whatever the cord is wraped around in is brass colored too. Did you paint thoes too? Or did you leave them the original color, and if so hows does that look with the newly painted chandelier?