Monday, August 13, 2007

Saturday Night Date

We don't get out to concerts much anymore, but we both love jazz and R&B (our absolute favorite!). So, when I noticed in the paper that a great group called 5 Men on a Stool, that we had heard twice in Atlanta was going to be in Birmingham & it just so happened that it was hubby's birthday weekend, we got tickets & went Saturday night. We had never been to Workplay either, most of the groups that play there are not really our style, but we were pleasantly surprised at this venue & how small & intimate it is. There's not a bad seat in the house. It's also non-smoking which is a big plus for us.

These guys put on an excellent show. The group all started with the 2nd guy from the left (Hank Stewart). He recites poetry & tells stories with the spoken word & enlisted the saxaphone player to join him & it grew from there and now there are 5. One is a vocalist, another plays trumpet, & the other lead guitar. What a talented bunch of guys they are! We always thoroughly enjoy them & it's a fun time of great music & entertainment. If you ever hear of them coming to your area, go & see them. You won't be disappointed!


The vocalist, Kermit Quinn, has a wonderful voice.
Trumpeteer, Melvin Miller. These guys walk around & mingle with the crowd while they are playing their solos. It's neat!
Saxaphone player, Antonio Allen.
Peter & I before the show started. Peter is busy talking. Oh, and I wore a cute little top that I got yardsaling a few weeks ago. It was brand new from Express for 50 cents. It was a fun date night, which we don't do often enough. How about you? When is the last time you went on a date? Why does it seem that dating takes a backseat after you get married?

**************************************************
Here's my Monday a.m. yardsale find of the weekend. There was a neighborhood sale really near mine, so I had to check it out (of course!).

I had been looking for a vanity stool for my antique vanity that's in our bedroom. I had a chair in there, but it was too bulky & didn't fit under the vanity very well & took up too much space, so I really wanted a pretty stool. Well, as it always turns out for me, if I wait long enough I'll find one at a yardsale & this was the weekend. I got this little beauty for $10. It's actually made out of real wood. It's got a chennile gold floral fabric on there, which is not hideous in here.
But I'd love to take off the cushion & cover it with my own fabric. I've taken the legs off underneath (they screw on) and cannot see anywhere to unscrew the seat to take it off. I will have to investigate further, but it's sure not obvious. I'm kind of bummed about that, as I have plenty of my blue fabrics left that would work great on here. I'm sure there is someway to get it off, but it is not obvious at all. I guess I can live with this fabric even if I can't get it off.
It's a little darker than my vanity, but overall it looks fine. It slides under there perfectly & is a great space saver too.

Hope you all have a great week! I have several posts saved up to share with you, (come back later this week for a Before & After on a light fixture I painted) so I'll be posting about the same as I always have at least for the next couple of weeks. So far, I haven't run out of things to talk about, so I hope that doesn't happen. Anyone else ready for Fall? I sure am!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

33 friends stopped by:

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

Ahhh, my SweetiPie and I have date night on Friday nights...sometimes it is a date lunch, but we don't skip it.
As for the stool, remove the brads/nailheads from around the sides, you will probably find that under the fabric is the cushioning, the fabric held on by the nailheads. You can then redo the same way or with a separate cushion...great find!

Heather said...

Great yard sale find.
I have to say I was a bit disappointed when I saw that the band’s suits weren't actually pink - oh well. Sam and I don't get out much because of the kids. By the time we get them settled in bed at night, we are wiped out. Anymore we are just content with dinner, a glass of wine and a good episode of The Closer.
Heather

Anonymous said...

Your date night with your DH sounds wonderful! My hubby loves jazz and R&B too. If I ever see that these guys are coming to our area, we'll have to go.

I love the stool you found. It fits in nicely.

Have a great week at work!

Anonymous said...

Actually, we are really good about having *date nights*. We've always made it a priority. Sometimes it's not a night, but a breakfast, or lunch. Occasionally hubby will call me to meet for lunch during the work week and I just love that - knowing he is thinking of me.

Maybe remove the brass studs and remove the fabric that way?

Cute stool - I too have an antique vanity, but I don't actually sit at it - so no chair, stool, etc. I have old hatboxes stacked underneath it.

Looking foward to seeing your light fixture!

Oh, I've been meaning to note here that I am "Tina" from the decorating board, the one you so graciously shared instructions for your kitchen curtains! I came here from Daisy Cottage, imagine my surprise when I found Georgiagal had a blog! Love it!!

tina

~*This Mama*~ said...

Hubby and I went out last week. We didn't get to do a lot because we were a bit limited on time, but it was time spent together without the other 3 kids (we had to take the youngest with us, who's 16 mths). The best date I think we've ever had was when we went to see Harry Connick Jr. here in H'ville. It was a smaller setting...not at all like a concert. I was pleasantly surprised and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I love that stool! And I think it looks beautiful with your vanity. What color would you redo the cushion in? I like the gold. =)

Rebecca E. Parsons/Cre8Tiva said...

how fun...and the bench is beautiful...i thought the bands suits should be pink...blessings, rebecca

Anonymous said...

He-man and I used to go out every Friday night, but now we're moving and trying to get boxed up and save some $ for new things for the house! I'm looking forward to transforming our manufactured home into a beautiful space with ideas from your blog! Love it every day! You're so inspiring! Lisa
www.extragoodlife.blogspot.com

Deb said...

Sounds like an amazing night - I love Jazz too ... such a nice photo of you and your hubby.

Anonymous said...

Great bench! We don't really have date nights. We go out to lunch or breakfast. The two of us going out at night is a rarity! But we only have a few more years with our daughter at home before she heads off to college and then we'll have all our evenings free (and probably wish we didn't LOL).

Manuela

Jill said...

My hubby and I don't go on dates often enough...but we have babysitting issues. I love it when we do get away.... And yes! Fall can't get here soon enough for me.

Anonymous said...

My first visit. I see so many things here that it is hard to pick and choose what to dwell on. I like your photography and the idea of Southern Hospitality is appealing to everyone I think.

Nice blog.

Abraham Lincoln

Julie said...

You look beautiful on your date!

I love the stool...and the beautiful vanity that you are using it with!

Michelle said...

Y'all look too cute...Happy Birthday to your dear husband!

Abbie said...

Not married ..yet, so I can't answer the question on date night. Just wanted to introduce myself as a new visitor. I love your blog already.
Thanks.

Kim @ Home Is Where The Heart Is said...

Rhoda, so glad you and your dh had a great date night!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
I just love your vanity stool! Very nice.

Rosemary said...

Hi Rhoda,
Looks like a fun date with your sweetie.
Glad you had a good time.
I love your yardsale find. You did it again.
Have a wonderful week!
Rosemary

PAT said...

Rhoda...That sounds like a night we would have enjoyed...we love R&B and Jazz, also!

Great looking stool. I like the gold fabric but I know you will want it to be covered in your wonderful fabrics for the room. There is surely a way to get that seat off! I'm sure you will find a way.

Pat

tammi said...

Oh, that looks like a wonderful date night!! Yeah, that happens FAR too seldom now that we have kids and live 6 hours away from both sets of grandparents. And once again, congrats on your great thrifty finds!! What a beautiful stool!

Andi said...

Your date night sounds like so much fun and you look so pretty. My hubby and I have a date every week...sometimes dinner or a movie but always time together just the 2 of us.

Love the little bench. Great find.

Sandy said...

Hi Rhoda! Just had a great date with my hubby -- last week we went to an Asian rest. and the week before to dinner then a Cowboy Junkies and Joan Osbourne concert! We try to get out together once a week :)
Fun post. BTW, we love jazz too!
Sandy

Angela Baylis said...

Okay... so I was in the grocery store this evening and when I saw the Martha Stewart magazine I started thinking about you and your blog!

Sounds like you had a great time!

Love,
Angie

OldBagNewTricks said...

Date nights are a must and this one looks wonderful. I am a big fan of performers who dress in pink ~ or anyone who dresses in pink, for that matter.

Darling stool. I'd like to get my hands on that one too. Let us know what you do with it.

Jenny

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Rhoda~ my daughter works at WorkPlay... she was telling me what a great show it was. I haven't seen Eric Essex in years. Glad you and your sweetie got to go on a date. =D

Justabeachkat said...

Happy Birthday to Peter. Looks like you had a wonderful night. Love the photo of you two! George and I had our date night a few nights ago and went to see "No Reservations" which was very, very cute. Love the vanity stool. Another great find.

Hugs!
Kat

Tracey said...

I'm just catching up on you! I've been so busy I haven't had much time to blog or visit friends.

Congrats on the new job! Sounds wonderful and sounds like you're a perfect fit!

Loved the tour of Homewood--we haven't been to any of those shops, so I'm definitely going to have to check it out next time we come to B'ham.

This R & B group sounds right up our alley! So glad y'all had a wonderful date night! And happy belated b-day to your hubby!

Have a great week!
Tracey

Sandy McTier Designs said...

Looks like you guys had a great date night.
Love the yard sale find - beautiful as it but could also see it covered in some kind of animal print!
Have a wonderful week.

Debra from Bungalow said...

Love that bench & you look lovely as usual. I'm so glad that you & Peter are happy.

Don't forget to sign up for my giveaway. I think you'll like it!

Anonymous said...

Ms. Rhoda, I just scrolled through all your house pictures - beeeutiful! Could you tell me the paint color of your master bedroom and bathroom? I love that color combination. Thanks! Lisa

Suzanne said...

Rhoda~ Looks like a fun night out! Love the stool you found. It looks so nice with your vanity. And yes! I'm sooo ready for Fall!

CG said...

Looks like you had a fun date night! The last date we went on was....I can't remember...bad, huh? And we don't have kids!

Cheryl Wray said...

You look so pretty in that picture!! And what a wonderful night out! We have never been to Workplay, but I have heard it's a great place for a concert!

Cheryl Wray said...

And, oh, we absolutely have to have date nights!!! With three kids in the house, it's a must!!! :-)

Morgan said...

Love the little top you wore...the stool is so pretty even how it is, and what a fun night out!!!