Friday, August 10, 2007

Homewood & A Very Happy Birthday

Today is my dear hubby's birthday (Happy 48th Birthday, dear Peter...he loves to tease me about being 50 already, the brat!). Working Girl was busy last night making his favorite chocolate cake. I cheated & bought a yellow box cake, but made the frosting from scratch. This is his favorite cake. We'll celebrate tonight with his mom & grandma & have New York style pizza, salad, & this wonderful chocolate cake. It's been an eating frenzy this week....keep reading.

Thank you all so much for your well wishes on my new job! I appreciate it SO much. My first week has been a whirlwind & things are going well! I'm really enjoying the job & I think I will really settle in & be very happy there. That breakfast I mentioned was Thursday & OMIGOSH...was it wonderful. The mother of one of the guys in the office wanted to bring breakfast to all of us & she did a fantastic job with it all. I heard she really enjoys baking & did she have a spread....homemade quiche, mini pecan muffins (which we all LOVED & want the recipe), huge fruit tray, roll-up sandwiches, bagels, biscuit & sausage, pound cake, & coconut cake. It was more like brunch & we all thoroughly enjoyed it. I asked them if we were going to get this every week...cause I love to eat! :)

To celebrate my new job last week, I met up with Tricia & Sandy (2 of my empty nester girlfriends) & they took me to lunch at a great place called Prairie Fire Grill (had fabulous crab cake salads & the most delicious bread pudding for dessert). I should have taken pics! Then we went to Homewood for the afternoon. Homewood is another older part of Birmingham that is very charming, fun to shop, & a great place to hang out with the girls. I now work 5 minutes from here, so will be able to get out at lunch & browse if I want to. It's very charming with old fashioned type shops. You park on the street, like the old days and walk around. Just like we used to shop back when towns were smaller & we had main streets or squares with lots of neat shops...remember that? Yes, before malls were born. Don't get me started on malls.
These 2 shops are my favorite down here: At Home & Harmony Landing
These are 2 houses we passed in the neighborhood. This is a very desirable neighborhood to live it, because it's so close to downtown B'ham. Also pricey!
Aren't these cute Spanish bungalows?
This is inside the At Home store. They have all sorts of furniture, accessories, light fixtures, dishes & glassware...all sorts of things for the home. They are more rustic in feel.
Some pretty pieces of furniture & lamps.
Table settings done very creatively & colorfully.
A bed is all made up for showing.
Basket of pretty turquoise balls. I picked these up, but never figured out what they are made of.
Lamps in a vignette.
Tricia (L) & Sandy (R), two very sweet gals that I've met since I moved here. Can you believe that Tricia is 60?! I was in shock when she had her birthday in the spring & told us her age. She looks fantastic. She will probably kill me for telling her age, but I can't get over it.
Me & Sandy...ooooo, that's a bad pic of me (my hair is not cooperating this month!). Sandy & I are the same height, but she's a skinny little thing, about 2 sizes smaller than me. Check out her arms, she does competitive water-skiing & that girl has some strong arms & legs...and a tan all the time. She's from CA & just moved here last year. I think she's had to adjust to the South just a little bit. Frontdoor of Harmony Landing.
They sell rugs by the foot.
More beautiful vignettes.
Garden accessories & florals. They make custom florals, very pretty.
More florals
Entry table with florals & lamps.
Cupboard.
Another store out on the sidewalk. This is a rustic lodge store.
Three Sheets is a really nice linen/bedding shop.
Lamp repair shop. This store is crammed full of lamps & lamp parts.
Soho Sweets.
So cute inside & they have homemade ice cream. Yummy!

Hope you enjoyed the tour of Homewood. It's a fun place to shop too so if you get a chance...GO! This is not the place for bargains, but a great place to look.
We are having a major heatwave this week (over 100 everyday this week). September can't get here soon enough for me!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

35 friends stopped by:

Justabeachkat said...

Rhoda

I was afraid you wouldn't be posting anytime soon, so I was happy to see you did. I'm glad you're enjoying work so far. Happy Birthday to Peter! Loved seeing all the pics. I've never been to Homewood, but it looks like my kind of place, for sure.

Hugs!
Kat

Tonja said...

I love to visit Homewood when I'm in town. Let's see...there used to be a little shop called MUSTARD SEEDS run by a couple of girls. They have cute t-shirts and such with scripture. They design them, I think. And is PINK TULIP still there? I could always find something I NEEDED in there. Loved the store. And, I'm sure you are familiar with DOROTHY McDANIEL'S FLOWERS...a feast for the eyes everytime..

This has got me thinking that I need to come to B'ham for an extended shopping trip soon. Oh, and there is the cutest gardening store called SWEET PEAS.

Good luck at your new job. I work part time. And even though I think sometimes I would LOVE to stay at home and never go back to work...in reality, I would be so bored...I'd go stark, raving, mad.
Glad you have found a job that fits.

Enjoy the week-end.

Blessings,
Tonja

Julie said...

That was great. I felt like I was shopping with you.

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

I lived in Homewood years ago, when the kids were babies. We spent a lot of time at the park. It is a great place to wander~ you have to go into the knitting store and tell Mercedes HI!

Jennifer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jennifer said...

Hi Rhoda~
I'm glad your first week at work went well for you! New jobs are a lot of fun. I love Homewood. When I was a little girl my Granny used to take my sister and me shopping in several of the little shops. They have changed a lot in the last 29 years. Of course my interests while shopping have changed as well. Even now, every visit we make to Birmingham includes a stop in either Homewood or Mountain Brook. Both have delightful shops! Have a wonderful weekend.
~Jen

Elle Jay Bee said...

Congrats Rhoda on the new job!! I'm sure you will enjoy it and you will certainly be enjoying your lunch breaks by the look of those shops!!

I guess it wouldn't be good advice to tell you to do your blogging at work...??!! LOL :0)

Anonymous said...

That looked like a fun outing! What temptation to work so close - I'd probably come back from lunch with a bag of stuff everyday.

Happy Birthday to Peter - my husband is 48 too!

Manuela

JANET said...

I love specialty shops but don't get to Birmingham often. So I just visit the ones in Selma over and over!

Debra from Bungalow said...

Rhoda,
you sound like you're enjoying your new job. You & your friends all look great!

Happy birthday to your Peter....I didn't know you had a younger guy. ;)

Sandy McTier Designs said...

Hope your husband had a good birthday. Fabulous photos with lots of things I could fill my house with. You and your girlfriends look like you were having a grand time.
Great to everything at work went well this first week and hope it continues to only get better for you!
Have a wonderful weekend.
Smiles,
Sandy

Anonymous said...

I didn't expect a new post so soon, with you working now, but thanks for taking time for us!

Happy Birthday to Peter! So you've got a younger man, huh?

You and your girlfriends look gorgeous. I can't believe Tricia is 60! Sounds like a wonderful day you had with them. Thanks for showing us some of the neat little shops. I'd be in trouble there; I see lots of pretty things.

Lauralee said...

Oh my I would love to visit the south.. I have never been, but it just seems so quaint!
thanks for sharing that cute town! I hope you get to spend lots of time shopping there!

Michelle said...

I am so glad your first few days at work went nicely!

Every time I turn around I am hearing about Homewood...so I believe I will have to head to B'ham and investigate (can't stand feeling like I am missing great shopping!). I love the photos!

(((hugs and happy weekend)))

Naturegirl said...

This was the BEST kind of shopping! I did NOT have to pull out my purse once and make a donation!
I did notice your friends arms and thought WOW she works out!! Before I read your explanation! You are both pretty foxy!! hugs NG

tammi said...

I LOVE your photo tours of local neighbourhoods and other places you visit! Makes me want to travel!! Thanks so much for inviting us to join you in all your travels and shopping excursions.

Cecile said...

Gorgeous pictures Rhoda! What an interesting place to browse. I hope you continue to enjoy the new job. It sounds wonderful for you.

morninglorycottage said...

Hi Rhoda,
I'm glad you liked the candy. Thanks for stopping by the blog. I really enjoyed "looking" around your town. I'd love to see it in person. Glad your first week went so well.

Amanda

Deb said...

Happy Birthday to your husband & Good Luck with your new job!
Thanks for the tour of one of your fav shops - Homewood looks like a great place to shop.

Adriann said...

Congratulations on your new job! I guess I haven't been visiting in a while.

Tricia is gorgeous! I can't beleive she is 60. Are you certain? LOL!! Wow! I hope to look that good at 50.

Sweet wife you are, baking a chocalate cake. Um, um, good...

Enjoy your weekend!

Now, I'm off to read about your new job.

Sandy said...

Wouldn't that be fun if that "Sandy" was me? ha
Hi Rhoda! Great pix, and YAY for cheating on the CAKE! It doesn't have to be perfect (scratch) cuz it's the thought that counts.
I'm 3 yrs. older than my hubby :)
Happy Weekend.
Sandy

Mary said...

Rhoda - glad your new job has started well and hope it continues to be great for you. Please don't stop blogging - would really miss your great posts of beautiful things!
Hope Peter enjoyed his B'day - many happy returns.

Gina said...

What a lucky hubby to have you make a cake! Sounds like a wonderful birthday. I am so glad to hear that you are enjoying the new job. What gorgeous photos, I'm so glad you take them and put them up for us. And you, also so gorgeous in your photo!!!

bren said...

Happy birthday to Peter! Birmingham looks like such a neat place. Love all the little shops you showed.

I am tagging you. I was tagged by Wendy at Ramblings from Florida. See my page for 7 things about me.
Glad you are enjoying your new job. I can relate to the idea of running out of things, and being on the computer to much. I go back to work tomorrow after being off for the summer. School starts back next Monday.

PAT said...

A belated Happy Birthday to Peter!

I love all those shops, Rhoda. These are the kinds of places I like to shop. Those spanish architecture homes are gorgeous!

Pat

Cecile said...

Rhoda, Thanks so much for your comment on my blog. I've been here a number of times, but without leaving comments. I'm Ceci from Passions or GI.

Your blog is just beautiful. I don't know how you find time for it along with all the other things you do.

Ceci

Latharia said...

Oh, just delightful photographs! I'd linger longer, but it's my best friend's birthday today & it's about time for me to put the finishing touches on the party!

Anonymous said...

Oh how fun for us that we got to celebrate Peter's birthday too! Please wish him a Happy Birthday for me - what a wonderful town that you visited... am drooling over the shops! So fun! Great pics of you and your friends too... you are all SO cute!
xo,
Kim

Niesz Vintage Home said...

Those shops look fabulous!
What a fun town to walk around in.
Thanks for sharing your photos.

Stay cool!

Donna, The Decorated House said...

Fun pictures! Looks like a really fun day. Hope you all had a good birthday celebrating. The cake looked yummy!
Donna

KLKinFLA said...

My sweet husband had a birthday last week too! I have friends in Birmingham, but At Home wasn't open the last time I visited...it looks great. I love Homewood...2 Sheets is fun! Have a great week at your new job!
Karen

sheila from life @ #17 said...

Happy Belated Birthday to your DH :)

and thanks for all the photos...I keep trying to talk some of my friends or hubby into a Road Trip to B'ham...I reading such great things about it!

anyhoo...one of these days I'll get someone to go just to check things out & I'll have to come back & read all of your posts so I can get Points of Shopping Interest :)

Susie Q said...

Happy Birthday to Peter! Such a young man! This coming from me who is almost 51! : )
He is a good lookin' guy!

The photos were wonderful! The concert looks like fun and the shopping looked amazing! : )

You silly, you looked beautiful in those pictures...bad hair indeed! *smile*

I am so glad you are enjoying work. It sounds great.

Have a sweet week!

Hugs,
Sue

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

I worked at Southern Progress Corp. next door to Samford U for 23 years. Went into Homewood two or three times a week. Loved to eat at Crape Myrtle's in Little Professor or at O'Carrs for lunch. Now my quilt guild (Birmingham Quilters Guild) meets at the Homewood Senior Center once a month. I love Homewood. Love your pictures too.

Morgan said...

Rhoda~ you are so beautiful! That leopard print top you are wearing is so cute. And I love the picture of rugs by the foot...such eye candy.