Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Working Girl

By the time you read this, I will have started my new job! Yes, you read correctly, I'm going back to work. Why, you ask? Well, when we moved here almost 2 years ago, I quit my job in Atlanta to move here & was planning to stay home indefinitely. I've enjoyed staying home quite a bit & it allowed me to get so many projects done around the house with decorating & gardening. And that's been fun. But, I really don't have enough to keep me busy all the time, some days I'm bored, and I'd love to make some extra money. I'm not raising kids....but, we've got kids in college right now & extra money would be nice. So, I decided to market myself, get my resume polished up, & see what happened. The recruiter sent me on 2 interviews & I landed the second job I interviewed for that same day & got the salary I was looking for. So, I think it was meant to be. I'm going to work for a small privately-owned asset management company. They have several smaller companies under the umbrella & this company manages all the smaller companies. I'll be working for the President & the HR Manager. I'll be doing all sorts of things like newsletters, helping with a charitable foundation, company events, & lots of administrative details. I've just started & so far this week, we are having breakfast brought in on Thursday, I'm helping facilitate the company's Open House in September, which will be a full-blown catered event & very nice and planning the details on a fishing trip for the guys in Nov. So far, I'm really enjoying it & off to a good start! It will help me keep my skills up to date, I'll feel more productive, & earn a decent salary too. I've been spending way too much time on the computer & that's not all that productive, as I'm sure many of you feel too. One day, I'll devote more time to my creative endeavors & hopefully get something going with decorating, but in the meantime, this will do just fine. I'm not quite ready to be a retired old lady yet! I've worked all my life as an Administrative Assistant in many large corporate companies & done very well with it. And, this will be the same type position (only in a privately owned company).


So, I'm going to join all you bloggers who work fulltime AND blog. How do you do it?? I'm going to need some pointers on that. I'm sure it gets a bit more difficult to do both, but I plan to keep blogging along. So, I hope you'll keep reading...even if I'm not out & about as much as I have been, I hope to have some interesting things to talk about & some good pictures & projects to share. I will just have more to juggle now. And, I will not have nearly as much time to come & visit all of you as much as I would like, so I hope you'll understand that part too.


And so, I hope you'll all still be with me on this journey. I plan to keep my little shop open for now. I have a lot of inventory that I need to move before I keep adding more, so I may not add anything else for awhile. And, when yardsale season slows down in the next few weeks, I will probably close it down for the winter months. So stay tuned for a Big Sale in the shop in the coming weeks. And wish me luck with my first week on the new job!

Thanks for all the support I have felt from all of you over these last few months that I've been blogging. I feel really blessed to have connected with so many awesome women!

(Photo: Bombay office furniture) My space is very nice, not quite this nice though, don't I wish?!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

47 friends stopped by:

PAT said...

Rhoda, best of luck in your new job. I have a childhood friend, in southern California. Your job sounds very much like hers. She really enjoys her work and has shared beautiful photos of various events, she's managed.

I believe this new job was absolutely meant for you!

Pat

Niesz Vintage Home said...

Rhoda, Congratulations on your new job!!!

It sounds like your settling right in.

Kimberly :)

Amy said...

Congratulations, Rhoda! Please keep us updated on your new job - your positive attitude is so refreshing and inspiring!

Amy

Nicoletobusy3 said...

Congrats Rhoda~keep us posted! Nicole

apple said...

Good luck RO! You have nothing to loose, if you hate it , quit!! thats my motto!lololol

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

Well congratulations to the company smart enough to snap you up!

Steph said...

Congrats on the new job! Sounds like a good one!

Rosemary said...

Congrats on the new job Rhoda!!
You will be great at it.
Keep us up on what you are doing.
Have a wonderful day!
Rosemary

Fran said...

Rhoda, best of luck in your new job! I just love your blog....I have been a very very faithful lurker since I found it!

I think your company was lucky to find you!

Fran

Anonymous said...

Rhoda, I knew it was coming but this is so quick! Congratulations on your new job, it really does sound like alot of fun. Sounds like there's alot of variety and opportunity to use your many talents. I'm sure they already realize what a great decision it was to hire you! It's a good thing to be busy and have focus. I do hope they let you use your internet access on your lunch hour!

Manuela

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Rhoda, it sounds like a very busy and interesting job. Best wishes to you for success. But please, please keep up the blogging. I love to visit you here.

Sue said...

Rhoda,
Congratulations on your new job. I know what you mean about being retired.
I've picked you for a fun tag that you probably won't have time to do now with the new job but when you get a minute drop by my blog to see.
Sue

Barbara said...

Best Wishes in your new job. Hope it is all you expect it to be. I have to say as a 'home body' for me there is never enough time in the day and my husband wonders how he ever found the time to go to work!!!
Thanks for letting me know about the tag. I guess I should have checked first.

sheila from life @ #17 said...

Congratulations :)

Your new job sounds like it will be not just be a paycheck but something interesting to do!

Good Luck :)

Jill said...

Good luck! The job sounds wonderful. I will certainly keep visiting, even if you don't post as often. As long as you promise to still share your garage sale finds! hee-hee

Jennifer said...

Congratulations and good luck with your new job! You seem so excited about it so it must be the perfect opportunity for you. I can understand the boredom that accompanies staying at home. Now that my children are back in school it has been a little dull around here. I'll start subbing again in September and it won't be so bad. Have a wonderful week.
~Jen

Heather said...

Congratulations on the new job. It sounds like a good one!
Heather

Rebecca E. Parsons/Cre8Tiva said...

oh congrats on lnding a job so quickly...sounds like a stimulating place to be...blessings, rebecca

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful opportunity, and sounds as if you are ready made for the creative challenges there! Sounds awesome!!! Congrats, and all the best to you, Rhoda. Am SO glad to have gotten linked to you and your wonderful blog recently.

Hope to keep in touch! On with the best in life, and embracing the next step. Have a wonnnnnderful day, Rhoda, and a wonderful time in your new job! :-)

Julie said...

Well - you will save more money because you will likely not have the time to shop like you used to. Uggghhh - college expenses go on and on. I had 2 in college at once as well.

Good luck and have fun making new work friends.

Sandy McTier Designs said...

Fantastic! Congratulations Rhoda. Sounds like neat company to work for. I know what you mean about too much time of the computer - maybe I need to go and get a job?!?!
Have a wonderful first week and I look forward to your updates - when you have time!

Blessings!

Debra from Bungalow said...

Good Luck to you Rhoda on your new job, it's sounds like it's perfect for you. I do hope you will find to blog.

Keep us posted! Hugs

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Thanks, girls! You're all so great. I'm having a really good week, just trying to adjust to the getting up early schedule again, but so far it's not so bad. You'd think since I have worked all my life (except for this past year and 1/2) that it would be like riding a bike. I'm sure I'll get used to it all again. It feels good to get out & be in the workplace again & feel like I'm contributing. I think sometimes when you stay home & don't use your brain as much, you get sort of sluggish & stale. So, I want to keep my brain working well!

I'll be sure & keep you all posted as things progress & I'll try to keep things interesting around here too. I definitely plan to keep blogging. I just hope I can keep thinking up interesting topics that you'll all enjoy, so please keep on visiting me!!

I'm not going anywhere!

xo,
Rhoda

Andi said...

How exciting for you Rhoda! They're lucky to have someone as wonderful as you joining their company.

I work full time as a bank manager and attend a jillion events after work hours but I still find time to blog so I'm sure you will too. I don't have time to visit all the blogs I would like to but I'm quite content with the wonderful circle of blogger friends I've had the priviledge to get to know...and maybe even meet someday.

Michelle said...

Congratulations! I hope this is a fullfilling and wonderful new season of your life...though don't desert us here in blogland, we love ya too much! (((hugs)))

Sandy said...

Rhoda, that is exciting news! Change is always good. I work, and sometimes find it difficult to find time to read blogs. But I always have my favorites :)
Congrats!
Sandy

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Rhoda~ It sounds perfect! Now you will be able to dress up and go to lunch... and fight 280 traffic like the rest of the world.
It will be a new adventure!

Olivia: (mostly) Happy Homemaker said...

Congratulations, Rhoda!

Wanda @ Just Vintage said...

Congrats on the job! But yard sale season in Alabama is year round. It only slows down a bit in December, January and February and not completely then. There will always be Saturdays and Friday's on your way to work and during lunch hour.....

LivingTheLife said...

Congratulations Rhoda...and Best of Luck in your new job...it sounds like a perfect fit for you...we will miss you not being able to post as often...but when you do we will all feel blessed...enjoy your new adventure...

blessings...
Teresa
LivingTheLife

Lallee said...

Rhoda, congratulations on your new job. It sounds taylor made for you. I hope you really enjoy it and find the adjustment easy.

Anonymous said...

How exciting! It sounds as if the job was tailor-made for you! I work at home, editing on the computer, and I know how lonely it can get being home all day. I envy you getting out amongst people!

Best of luck with you new job, and I know you won't have quite as much time for us, but I'll look forward to your posts as always.

Essential Oil Premier University said...

Best wishes to you on your new job Rhond. I hope the company that hired you knows what a "jewel" they found. Blessings to you.

Tina Leigh said...

Well it sounds exciting to me! I work but blog when I feel like it or want to. You will have to learn to do the same. YOU will have to keep us updated on your job....it sounds, well, BLOG-WORTHY!! LOL!

Donna, The Decorated House said...

Wow, 2 years! It sure doesn't seem possible.
Congrats on the new job. It sounds like such a great position to not only do what you've done before but learn new skills as well. They will be so happy they chose you!
Donna

Justabeachkat said...

Congrats Rhoda!

I know what you mean about time on the computer...sometimes I feel it is my job and I mean that in a nice way. A job I love.

Stay in touch.

Hugs!
Kat

Kristi said...

Best of luck in the new job. Sometimes I wish I could at least work part time, I think my brain has really turned to mush in the last 3 1/2 years!

BTW I went to a yard sale today and found a cute bunny candle holder and thought of you. I came so close to buying it but I kept think I was copying your style. Now that I'm home I see the perfect place for it in my living room. Ahhhh!

Cheryl Wray said...

Sounds like the perfect job for you!! Keep us updated on how it goes!!

slow poke kate said...

Hello from London, England! I found your site through Ramblings form an English Garden. I am in London, but originally from Columbus, MS. :)

Love your space in the blog world :)

Please come visit me anytime at http://londonsouthernbelle.typepad.com/

morninglorycottage said...

Good luck in your new job. I'm sure you'll be great! It sounds like a wonderful position.

Susie Q said...

Heartfelt congratulations Rhoda!
I know you will be such an amazing asset to this company.

Yes, I do believe this is the job that was so meant for you!

Enjoy it all...

Hugs,
Sue

Vonda said...

Congratulations girl on your new job! Rhoda, I still think you need to get your decorating business up and running because you've got it going on girl! I would have you decorate my home any day. That way you could work, make $$$ and do what you love to do every single day. Love ya -V

Betty Jo said...

Congrats on your new job Rhoda. I wish you all the best. I'm so very thankful not to be working outside my home any longer. I honestly don't know where I'd find the time to fit it in! LOL I do work from home though, designing at two on-line stores presently. I'm glad you've found something you will enjoy doing and can't wait to hear all about it. xoxo

Suzanne said...

Congratulations Rhoda! on your new job. It sounds perfect for you!

Lauralee said...

congrats on your new job.. it sounds fun! I hope you'll still post once in a while!

Betty said...

Rhoda,

I didn't know you were going back to work.....gosh you are so talented and I know you do well at whatever you do...I do wish you the very best in your new endeavor.....

Please do keep blogging....I enjoy your pictures, decorating, recipes and hearing about your life.....

Happy belated birthday to your husband.....

Thanks for the comment on the 'egg' plant. They aren't edible I'm pretty sure......Best wishes..Betty

willzmom said...

Congratulations on your new job!