Friday, October 12, 2007

Cooking with Pioneer Woman

If you haven't been to visit Pioneer Woman, you must do so! I discovered her blog a few months ago & have not been able to tear myself away. She's a city girl who married a cowboy over 10 years ago and they have 4 children. They live on a working cattle ranch somewhere out in the big vast west somewhere. I still haven't figured out what state they are in. Anyway, her name is Ree & she is one hilarious writer. She's only been blogging about 2 years and has already won awards & goes on speaking engagements for blogging & the advertisers are all over her site. She draws the crowds like no other blog I know! So, that being said, if you haven't visited her yet, go on over. You will get sucked into the archives like I did & will want to read all about her & her hubby (Marlboro Man) & their interesting life on the ranch & all about their love story. It's never a dull moment & she loves photography & takes some of the most gorgeous outdoor shots you've ever seen. The commentary is just a hoot too. Go on over...you won't be sorry, but be prepared to stay & read way too long. Also, JC Penney has just enlisted her to be one of their blog contributors & she is writing about her bathroom/laundryroom renovation. That's entirely entertaining too! She will post links periodically when she adds something new on there. She even lets her readers vote on which color stain to stain her bathroom cabinets & stuff like that. She is one fun girl! Those 4 kidlets are pretty cute too.

So, back to cooking. She also has a cooking blog too & shares lots of fun recipes. She shared this one recently & it sounded so good I had to try it. And, we were not disappointed at all. This is ONE GREAT RECIPE! If you love shrimp & pasta, you will love this one. If you click on the cooking blog link, you'll go directly to her site, which spells out how to cook this with lots of pics & fun commentary, so I'm not going to duplicate hers...she's way more entertaining than I could ever be! It's basically shrimp & penne pasta in a creamy tomato sauce. I did one change from her recipe & that was to add a small (15 oz.) can of petite diced tomatoes, along with the small can of tomato sauce & I used a little more than 1 cup of cream. I wanted to have plenty of sauce to cover 1 lb. of pasta. I also added a dash of hot pepper flakes...we like a little heat. My hubby is not crazy about cream-based sauces, but since this had tomatoes, he was one happy camper. He absolutely LOVED it, as did I. The shrimp, tomato sauce & fresh basil was absolutely yummy!! This is one of the best pastas I've ever made, so if you like all those ingredients, you MUST try this. It's fantastic! This one is going in the rotation for sure.

Here are the basic ingredients:

1 lb. penne pasta
1 small can tomato sauce
Butter, garlic & olive oil
diced onion
shrimp
petite diced tomatoes (I added these as extra)
Heavy Cream
Fresh basil & parsley
salt & pepper

You basically saute the garlic & onion in olive oil/butter, as well as the shrimp. Add the tomato sauce & diced tomatoes to the garlic & onion, add the cream & peeled shrimp, simmer & serve over the penne pasta.

Follow along with her directions! You will love this dish!

Don't know if I'll get to yardsale this weekend. We have my hubby's 3 kids in for a visit. They are 19, 21, & 23 and took a break from school & work to come see us for a couple of days. Y'all have a great weekend! I am loving this cooler, crisp weather. Finally!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

37 friends stopped by:

Anonymous said...

I'm loving the cooler weather too - I thought for a while it would never come!

I think I've tried all of your recipes and they're always winners so I'll give this one a go too. I looks scrumptous!

Have fun with the kids - maybe they'll want to go yardsailing with you!

Manuela

Anonymous said...

Yum! Looks delicious!

PAT said...

Thanks Rhoda..I've added The Pioneer Woman to my list. She is amazing!

Pat

Abbie said...

I make this all the time and we not only eat it over pasta, but I experimented with putting over meatloaf.
I use milk instead of cream and add parmeasean cheese and roasted red peppers.
I agree, this is an easy awesome recipe!
Going to visit her site now.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Rhoda, that looks delish! I'll definitely fix it soon. After you posted Pioneer Woman's cooking blog, I poked around over there a bit. Did you see that olive cheese bread recipe? Looks very yummy!

I'm loving the fall weather (finally!) too. Hope you have a great weekend with your hubby and the kids!

Mary said...

Rhoda, I've been reading Pioneer Woman for a few months now, too. It's a terrific blog! Have you seen Rechelle at www.countrydoctor'swife.blogspot.com? She is really funny, too.
xoxo,
Mary

Terri Steffes said...

Thanks for the blog info! I am going to check her out.

I love your blog, too.

Melissa said...

Fabulous! I can't wait to check her out!

Anonymous said...

I discovered Pioneer Woman some time ago and her food photography and recipes just make me so hungry!

I made that cream-sauced pasta a few nights ago and loved it! Yum.

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

That looks yummy!
Enjoy your weekend. The weather is going to be beautiful.
Sandi

Erin~~The Classy Rabbit~~ said...

Hi Rhoda...I'm enjoying reading through your blog and I love the shrimp recipe - sounds de-lish!! It finally got a little cooler here too. We went from the 90's at the start of the week to the 60's today. Finally feels like fall.

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I just love rabbits too. Have a great weekend and I'll definitely be back for another visit. Thanks!

Erin

Jill said...

I've been reading her blog for about 6 months and feel the same way. I've yet to try one of her recipes, but they all look delish.

Rosemary said...

Thanks for the tips Rhoda. I will check out that blog.
Have fun with the kids this weekend.
Rosemary

Esther Sunday said...

Hello Rhoda! Nice to meet you! I have been seeing your lovely mug/comments as well, and have been meaning to stop by and say hi! Thanks for coming to visit! What a lovely "home" (blog) you have over here! Will get ya added so I can pop back in! Isn't Ree just the best? Her recent chapters about meeting MM have been so hard! Meaning, that I hang on to every word and then "to be continued..." It's killing me! Darn, Darn....

Anonymous said...

Isn't Ree the best and Marlboro Man isn't hard to look either! Love it when she cooks!!! Her gravy post made be crave biscuits and gravy all week! Her Guacamole recipe is fool proof.
TGIF

Alice said...

I have all the ingredients for that dish and I did promise my husband shrimp this weekend. I'll be giving that recipe a try. Thanks!

Cape Cod Washashore said...

Looks soooo yummy! And thank you for the link! =) Happy Weekend!!!

Unknown said...

Rhoda, I just read the instructions you left me for the pattern background for the blog. Are you a computer genius or what? I can't even get my mind around what you told me! Maybe I'll try tomorrow when my brain is a little fresher. Thanks a bunch. Jacki

Andi said...

Thanks for the great tip...I'll have to check out this Pioneer Woman!

Have a great weekend and enjoy those kids visiting.

Donna, The Decorated House said...

Hey Rhoda!
Hope you have a great weekend. I bet it's really getting to be nice up there.
Donna

Justabeachkat said...

I found Pioneer Woman and her two blogs quite awhile ago. Love her. This dish looked like one I would love, but George doesn't care for cream sauces. Wonder if I can get him to try it? Hmmmmm....

Loving the cooler weather too.

Hugs!
Kat

Elle Jay Bee said...

Yep, the Pioneer Woman is a great spot to have a laugh and find a great recipe. She makes cooking seem effortless!!!

Have a great weekend, Rhoda!!
Linda

Anonymous said...

Looks yummy.It is finally alittle chilly here too.

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Rhoda - the shrimp and pasta sounds wonderful. I am heading over to the blog you recommended - it sounds like so much fun!
Penny

Nunnie's Attic said...

Thanks for the heads up! The recipe sounds delish!! Glad to hear that you're having cooler weather. Like I predicted we went from HOT to COLD. It's 37 degrees this morning. No Fall temps.

Have fun visiting this weekend.

Love,
Julie

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhoda and thanks for adding another blog to check out on my never ending blog list, lol. I am off to check out the site. Diane

Terri Steffes said...

I checked out the Pioneer Cooks blog and because of it, had eggs benedict this morning. I am afraid to go back!

OKGardners said...

Rhoda, I have your answer! Pioneer Woman lives in my home state of OKLAHOMA.

Did you know we are celebrating our 100th Birthday? Statehood was Nov. 16, 1907. There is a huge parade planned for downtown Oklahoma City Sunday, Oct. 14, at 2 PM, with over 1,000 parade entries, giant balloons (like the Macy's Christmas Parade), and fancy floats. Actor James Garner (an Oklahoman) and Miss America 2007, Lauren Nelson (from Oklahoma) are the Parade Marshals for this event. It promises to be a BIG event! Wish you were here!

Betty in Oklahoma

Pat said...

Have been reading Pioneer Woman about a year...she's a hoot! It's worth going back to the beginning and reading them all.

Love her cooking blog and also her remodeling adventures.

By the way, I think she's in Oklahoma.

Anonymous said...

I love the Pioneer Woman! She is a hoot! Her dishes look fabulous! Have a nice visit with the family!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Well, I'm happy to finally find out where Ree lives! That's great...Oklahoma, one of the states I've never been to. Thanks Betty for the update on your proud state & NO, I sure didn't know you were celebrating 100! Congrats!

Rhoda

Rebecca E. Parsons/Cre8Tiva said...

this looks tasty...shrmp i can get...will visit the pioneer woman...blessings, rebecca

Simply Me Art said...

Looks Delicous and i am going to pop over to her Blog..

Deborah aka Miss Bee said...

The past couple of weeks, I have become addicted to Pioneer Woman's cooking blog - I love the way she sets up her recipes and cooking instructions. She is too funny and I'm also hooked on her story about meeting and falling in love with Marlboro Man.... TOO CUTE!
I don't think I have ever seen a blog with so many readers!

Deborah

tammi said...

I do love PW! Man, that girl knows how to tell a story, doesn't she?!!! If you ever find the story of Barbie and her dog, definitely read it. Since she changed her blog, my direct link to that story doesn't work anymore, but seriously, search for it and read it. You'll die laughing.

tammi said...

P.S. I just found it: Tanner, the Barbie Dog.

Janice said...

Hi Rhoda... took you suggestion and visited with Ree.

Good Gooly - can that gal write! LOL, I'm afraid I'm going to be dreaming about Marlboro Man myself!!

Thanks for the links - I'm off to read her recipes...

fondly - janice