Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Traditional Home with Barclay Butera: Blue & White Inspiration

Home furnishings & interior designer Barclay Butera avoids a predictable beach-house style at his Newport Beach home with a friendly not to the sea followed by a deep and unexpected bow to British Colonial design.

Now, I have to admit, I didn't know who Barclay Butera was until I got in the new Traditional Home magazine for October recently. He has had his own company for years now & designs furniture, as well as interiors. It has an awesome spread on Barclay, a wonderful fresh designer, showcasing his own home in the classic British Colonial style and using blue & white in such exciting ways. I'm not one to keep up with the latest designers at all, but sometimes I run across a spread which totally grabs my attention. This was one of those features. I was totally sucked in by these pictures & while blue is not my absolute favorite, I just love this whole article. I've used blue in our master bedroom & bath & was so excited to see this fresh & innovative, yet classic way of using blue & white that Barclay has so masterfully executed. This article has several stylish & yummy pics that you will not want to miss, so go here online to see the slideshow at Traditional Home. I was happy to see that they posted the slideshow, so you can all see the pics too. British Colonial style is sustained in the living room with a mahogany console table. Barclay designed the glass lamps to allow a change of contents.

I just love his use of British Colonial style that he has effortlessly used in his own home. I could only aspire to achieve something as beautiful as this. I love this look & would love to have more of it in my own home. He has a great eye, that's for sure! These pics could convince anyone to love blue & white, don't you think? And, I'm about ready to go out & buy some wallpaper now, which I had sworn off a few years ago.
The paisley fabric reminds me of the master bedroom fabric (below pic) I've used that came from Calico Corners. Melissa at The Inspired Room, also mentioned this article with pics on her blog recently. Great minds think alike!
If you love British Colonial & blue and white, you must go and take a look at the entire slideshow. Barclay is a genius in my book!

Story by Candace Ord Manroe
Photography by James Carriere
Produced by Laura Hull



Stumble Upon Toolbar

26 friends stopped by:

Deb said...

I love the British Colonial look and blue & white. Wonderful pictures.

Nunnie's Attic said...

Everything is so beautiful. Blue and white always reminds me of the ocean. No matter what style the room is designed in, I can picture the ocean and I love it!!

Love,
Julie

Rosemary said...

Hi Rhoda,
I didn't know who he was either.
I love that magazine!
Great photos.
Rosemary

Deserae said...

Hey Rhoda!I just received my copy of Traditional Home the other day and almost squeeled with delight when I saw the article!!!! Everything is just gorgoues and so inspirational :o)
~Des

Justabeachkat said...

I love seeing blue and white together...soooo soothing. Loved seeing the photos.

But, I have to say, I will never use wallpaper again.

Hugs!
Kat

Debra from Bungalow said...

You got me good with this one! I am drooling over the blue & white wallpaper with the animal print. It all looks so pretty together!

The secretary desk with the bamboo trim I love. I'm looking for a secretary desk for our LR.
Thanks for the inspiration, DebraK

Alice said...

I absolutely love the look of wallcoverings. My husband does the best job wallpapering, perfect pattern matching, perfect inside or outside corners. Yep, I love it. Stripping wallpaper though...I'd rather have a root canal.

Anonymous said...

That animal bench has tour name all over it, loved the photos.

Anonymous said...

I used to be quite into the British Colonial style. Loved the whole Out of Africa look! Blue & white is such a classic combination - it always looks so fresh!

Manuela

Unknown said...

Ooh la la, I like! Thanks for sharing, as I don't get Traditional Home and will definitely check it out.

Jacki

PAT said...

I noticed this article right away, when I got my issue. Absolutely gorgeous!

My Architectural Digest arrived today. Can't wait to dig in...Ralph and wife are on the cover...he never disappoints!;-)

Pat

Susie Q said...

I had just picked this issue up and what a wow this is!
Loved it all.

I have read about him before and so enjoyed this article. Blue and white is a huge favorite of mine but his tweak is so fresh and bold! LOVE it!

Hugs,
Sue

FrenchGardenHouse said...

Rhoda,

Barclay Butera is a genius! His store in Newport is one I love to visit, it is a feast for the eyes. Going there, even if I don't buy anything (often I do!) is inspirational.

He is a very, very nice designer, too! Always very friendly, and his whole staff is delightful. Love him, his designs, and the shops.

Lidy

Carrie said...

Blue and white is one of my favorite color schemes, and especially when done with such finesse. The British Colonial look also appeals to me since I love mahogany and walnut wood furniture. Also very pleasing is Butera's use of shells and bamboo in his decor.
Well, this issue of Traditional Home will be my bedtime reading tonight!

Julie said...

I love your blog because I can safely go shopping without the danger of buying anything! ha ha.. Love the yard sale adventures!!!

When we finally build a real house - I swear I am going to have a blue and white (or cream) colored room...just for my Royal Copenhagen figurines!!!

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

I do love British Colonial but blue not so much.
Still, I admire any room artfully done!

Kissing of the Frogs said...

Love the blue and white decor, so crisp and clean! Thanks for sharing.

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

I have always loved blue and white, though I have never decorated with it. Those pictures are stunning. Thanks!
Penny

Mary said...

I'm patiently waiting for my copy of Traditional Home to come in the mail -- now I'm impatient. Those rooms are beautiful! I have always been a wallpaper girl, and I just love blue and white, although I can't really use it in my home just now...maybe I need to redecorate a bedroom.
xoxo,
Mary

Sandi McBride said...

How lovely and cool looking this is. After all the heat we've suffered though, this could be just the thing...

BellaColle said...

I just love that design style! Blue and white is alway crisp and clean..love it!

Deserae said...

Hi Rhoda!Just wanted to let you know that I have chosen you for an award :o)
~Des

Anonymous said...

The thing I love out British Colonial style is that it isn't a fad like some styles end up being. Although it did get a bit trendy and in vogue for a bit, it is such a classic style that you can't go wrong with it. Using antiques and treasures from around the world never goes out of fashion in the minds of people who don't care about fads. AND, you can interpret it different ways because it is such a mixture of different styles from different countries, so you can get your own fresh interpretation of it.
Yes, I love it. I do. And Barclay does it very well!
xo,
Melissa

Mary said...

Wow Rhoda - I need to yardsale with you - you find such treasures!

Yes, British Colonial seems to be coming into style now and I did always love the Out of Africa look! Always something new but guess at this point in life I'll stay with the style I have - eclectic perhaps. It's easier - and a heck of a lot cheaper!!

Off on Monday - busy of course. Thanks for all your kind comments these past months Rhoda - you are a real trooper the way you manage to keep up with everyone, especially now you have a new job, which sounds fun.

Enjoy the lovely Autumn weekend - think of me stuffing stuff in that suitcase - I depise packing and have such trouble paring down to the basics, always want to take my complete wardrobe!!

'Talk' when I get back at the end of the month - until then take care.
Hugs ~ Mary ~

Tracey said...

I love stopping by your blog...it's like eye candy!

Still haven't found a "home" for those candelabras. I think I may just use them at Christmas time. Not sure, but will send a picture when I place them!

Hope all is well...

Sue said...

Looks like a lot of us liked this blue & white spread in Traditional Home. Love Barclay Butera!