Wednesday, October 3, 2007

The Holidays: Pottery Barn Style

Did I mention I don't really like to decorate for Fall? I do get all inspired when I see other people put out the pumpkins, gourds, haybales, & fall flowers, but I have never been one to do that myself. Here, I give you the extent of my Fall decor...candy corn, yes, indeedy...candy corn is one of the indulgences I find myself partaking in this time of year. I've been known to buy it in June too, but when Fall rolls around & it's all over the stores, I just can't resist. I love candy corn! This particular mix is the Harvest mix, but give me a big ole' bag of just plain Brach's (gotta be Brach's) candy corn & I'm a happy girl. I love to bite the white tips off. :)

All that being said, Pottery Barn has sucked me in. I'll admit it. Picked up the October Thanksgiving issue, opened the first page & this is what hit me in the face. I'm not a total Pottery Barn kinda girl, I lean more toward Traditional Home. But, now I'm totally inspired for Christmas decorating this year & it's all thanks to Pottery Barn. I've never been one to decorate for Fall all that much (see above)...well, there was that one year when I carved a pumpkin, but that was about it. I'm not much for pumpkins or Halloween at all, although Fall is my 2nd favorite season of the year (next to Spring). Give me Christmas and make it BIG!! Oh yeah, I love me some Christmas decor. That's just me....
But, Pottery Barn did have some gorgeous Fall inspiration pics that should make us all want to set a pretty Thanksgiving table.
I mean, with pheasant dishes, how can you go wrong? I love pretty tablescapes. Are you feeling inspired yet?
And just look at this vignette! Is this WOW or what? Last year, after Christmas, I had an epiphany (shocking in itself, I don't get those all that often!) and went outside and picked up pinecones, all sizes & shapes and also acorns. We have some really pretty black acorns off our oak trees in the backyard. Now, I have them stashed in the attic for this year. My hubby even went out with me to pick them up last year. After I saw this pic, I really got inspired! All those pinecones will be used, by gosh, I will do something with them!
I've always been more of a gold, glitzy kind of girl for Christmas decorating, but I decided last year, I'd really like to go more natural, with a little bit of sparkle instead of the LOTS of sparkle that I usually have, so I think the pinecones will be a good start. Of course, I may spray them with metallic paint, who knows...a girl's gotta have some glow & glitz! In fact, I got some more great inspiration from a Nell Hill's Christmas book that Manuela (from The Feathered Nest) sent me not too long ago. That book has some gorgeous Christmas ideas...can't wait!
This is really a pretty Fall touch.
And is this frontdoor beautiful...how welcoming is this??
And this table setting, with the pumpkins on the sideboard.
How's this for a welcoming foyer? Booya!
Now these wreaths are just gorgeous! I love the magnolia leaves & may have to find some faux ones to use. I love the real thing, but if I can find faux ones that will last for years, then that's the ticket. These are all faux...and we all decided that faux is good, right? And against the red wall...it screams Christmas! I have a red diningroom too.
Oooooh, ahhh...isn't this so pretty?! Check out the natural tree trunks with fresh flowers. Can't get much more natural than that. I may still have some glitz in mine, but I'd love to mix it up this year.
All photos from Pottery Barn Fall catalog.
And these mercury glass candlesticks really got me going. These are so pretty...of course, I don't own any & am not likely to buy them from Pottery Barn. I've heard there is a paint that mimics mercury glass, so I need to dig that out & take a look at the instructions, I seem to remember Looking Glass paint. I'll be sure to share all of this with y'all! I just might have to do some thrifting & find some likely candleholder candidates to paint. And I just got in my Tuesday Morning flyer & they have some mercury glass items on sale next week that I may have to check out.
Now! Are y'all properly inspired for Thanksgiving & Christmas? GOOD...me too! I can't wait to see what you all are up to for the Holidays. Did you have any epiphanies this year??

Stumble Upon Toolbar

36 friends stopped by:

Nunnie's Attic said...

GREAT POST!! I love decorating for fall. I just bought a new wrought iron wreath stand (like the one in the picture) only mine has a star on top (of course!) But you're right. Christmas is my thing! But, I tend to put up ALL of my Christmas decorations and then there doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to it. So, I'm taking Polly's lead, and will only put up PRETTY things this year! God help me!

Love,
Julie

Anonymous said...

Fall is my favorite time of year to decorate. Pottery barn is definitely my style. I love the clean lines. Thanks for the inspiration!

Anonymous said...

Sigh...somehow my whole long comment just went away! Anyway, there's lots of great ideas here. I do love the Pottery Barn look but I'm more of a Ballard girl.

I'm cutting back more and more each holiday. I used to have boxes and boxes of Christmas decorations. I used to even change out the shower curtains to Christmas themed ones etc!! The past couple years I've tried to basically use natural elements at Christmas like lots of Amaryllis and such mixed with a few things that we love!

Manuela

Marilyn in NM said...

I love Fall decorating, too. I love the picture of the lanterns and the front door with the bales of hay.
Right now I probably wouldn't put any hay around since I'm fighting with a hording little squirrel but it looks great in the picture. I love lanterns!!!!

Anonymous said...

Yep, I'm inspired, lol. Loved the pics you shared. Oh, and my the way, be sure and add some salted peanuts to your candy corn and it will taste just like a Payday candy bar :) Yummy! Diane

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the great photos. I love to decorate for the seasons--it just gives me a real boost to spruce up the house in that manner. I go all out, but in a reasonable style. Just finished with Halloween, complete with a cute black tree (Hobby Lobby) to which I added orange lights. Come the first of Nov., I'll pull out the items that scream Halloween, and I have beautiful Fall decor left (of course I have to tuck in my collection of vintage turkey floral containers). THEN it's soon time to deck out the place for Christmas . Did I tell you I love to decorate for the seasons?

Unknown said...

Love love love the pics. Nell Hill's xmas book is a real treasure; I was thinking the other day I need to get it out and start meditating on holiday decorating! Rhoda, thanks for telling me where to find more pics of the one on your banner that I love so much; was going to ask you but didn't really feel that the comment section was the place to ask. So thanks for reading between the lines! Oh, are you familiar with the book "Carolyn Westbrook Home"? She has some pheasant type dishes displayed in the book that remind me of the photo you showed. It's my all-time fave decorating book (the dog liked it too so I can never forward it to anyone else).
Jacki

Rosemary said...

I know Rhoda!!
That Pottery Barn catalog sucked me in right along with you.
I don't even eat sweets that much, but give me candy corn. What is it about that stuff?
Loved you post today.
Have a good one,
Rosemary

Anonymous said...

Wow that is always so pretty. Would love to find some of those things at a yard sale hehe. Great post.

Rebecca E. Parsons/Cre8Tiva said...

rhoda...you fall decor is the same as mine...brach's candy corn...and i love the pumpkins too...they are soft in the middle...yum...like elf-the 4 food groups...candy, candy corn, candy canes & syrup...works for me...love the vignettes...i might just place boo on my foyer mirror...blessings, rebecca

Carrie said...

I always love decorating for Thanksgiving and the Christmas season, and have been looking forward especially to Christmas time. Your post today has me even more inspired than I already am. (Can't wait for Haloween to pass, since it's one holiday I don't celebrate at all.)

Deb said...

Loved all the inspirational photos - especially the front porch decorations on the one house with the tall pillar candles - gorgeous!

Debra from Bungalow said...

The pictures are truly inspiring! I loved the wreath on the front door. I've always dreamed of having double doors like that.

I'm with you on the candy corn, it's addicting.

Christmas decorating..gosh I haven't thought that far ahead....but now I will ;)
Hugs, DebraK

Alice said...

I do decorate for Halloween but not quite so early in the month. I loved the little pumpkins decorating the black and white room--very striking. One of those pictures made me think I should have at least one red wall in my house to "use" for Christmas decorating.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed that PB catalog as well. While I am not so into PB decorating, they sure know how to do up the holidays! Always with subtle taste and simple but effective arrangements, which I really like!

Have a great day, Rhoda!
Melissa

Justabeachkat said...

Oh it ALL looks wonderful! I love Fall and you've given me some inspirations.

I love, love, love candy corn. It's dangerous to have it around though. It's so addictive.

Hugs!
Kat

Cottage Contessa said...

Rhoda you have inspired me, yet again! If only we weren't at the start of our Summer though......bummer. Autumn (or Fall as you say) is my favourite time of the year too, and Winter! So no Autumn decortaing here, but I can do Christmas!! Can't wait! Amanda (aka Cottage Contessa)

http://jacarandacottage.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I am trying to get a blog started and was thinking this was the wrong time since I just can't get with orange pumpkins either. Altho - like you - I think they're really cute at someone else's house! So you made me feel better. My first post is entitled "All my Pumpkins are Blue"

Sandy said...

Hi Rhoda! Pottery Barn is one of my favorite magazines that I get in the mail. I love to curl up with a blanky and look through it.
I loved the pictures you posted :)
Sandy

Free Art Printables said...

Love this. I love all of the pics! It's such eye candy!

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Rhoda~ I am inspired!
We may need to plan a tour when the 'Bs' are in town! =D

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

I feel the same way as you about fall decoratins - AND - about candy corn!! Now I have to go buy a bag!! Brach's is the one I have to have too!

Yes, you have inspired me!

Katherine

Maureen said...

I too received my PB catalog and loved the double wreaths on the doors! Have to reuse my sad ones from last year though! I don't do Halloween decor but do a bit of Fall. If only it felt like Fall around here! Loved the mercury candles and the mercury apothecaries too- did you see those?

Elle Jay Bee said...

Hi Rhoda!
You know I'm a huge Pottery Barn girl...there is just sooo much inspiration in one place, and I even love saving them from season to season! So, are you going to do any fall decorating this year? If so, I can't wait to see the results! In your hands, they will be stunning!!

Linda

Anonymous said...

Rhoda that was so much fun to see all of this inspiration in one place! It is STILL hot down here so I am trying every day to bring a little fall into our days. I got a big old bag of candy corn today and I, too, love to bite off the white part! And yes, it must be Brachs!
xo,
Kim

Claire Kennedy said...

Just Gorgeous!!!!!

Susie Q said...

Fall is MY time of year...love each and ever second of it. : )LOVE Pottery Barn and those wonderful ideas. Fun and they have that wow factor. Okay, now I really adore those pheasant dishes! I do not need more dishes but those are so a WANT!!! Love them.

Hugs,
Sue, who can not wait to see Rhoda's house for Christmas!

Lamp Tramp said...

I love your site...you've inspired me to blog. Just starting out, have lots to add. Thanks, Sandi

Anonymous said...

Beautiful blo. I will be back!

MT

tammi said...

I love it all! It all looks so beautiful and I would LOVE my house to look like that! But in all honesty, all I think of when I see wonderful pictures like that is how much WORK it must be to set it up, dust around it while it's up, and then take it all down again. Now, if I could find someone to do that all for me... that'd be different!!

Unknown said...

I love coming to your blog for ideas. I must admit I do love the Pottery Barn and have a few things from them but I mix everything up. Thanks for the ideas.

Anonymous said...

Oh my what a beautiful post. I was sucked into Pottery Barn a couple of weeks ago and found the deer antlers, leaves and bark candles too wonderful. Love all the Fall colors!!!

Thank You,Thank You!!
Carol

Jill said...

I love Pottery Barn, too. I have a fair amount of linens from them and a lot of things for my son's room. I like decorating for fall, but love Christmas decor equally as much. My husband knows, come Sept. 1, the fall stuff comes out, even though it's 90 degrees outside!

ShabbyInTheCity said...

You are so funny today!
I'm like you on the fall decorating...mother nature kind of takes care of that anyway! Love all of your inspirational pictures :)

BellaColle said...

Great minds think alike! to weird..I just had a thing on my blog about the PB's new catalog...I was sassy though, I showed how to make a wreath kinda like theirs...Great taste lady!

Unknown said...

Rhoda, I finally had the time to go look for those Easter-era pics in your blog. Really enjoyed looking at them. Also saw another picture of you in there; you're a very pretty lady! As I always tell my children, good looks are just a bonus, but what a nice bonus!

Can you tell me how to put a pattern on the background of my blog, as you did? Seems I always ask you my questions, but I couldn't find anything on the blogger site. Thanks!

Jacki