Wednesday, October 17, 2007

My Cottage Guestroom

(click all pics to enlarge)

I know that many of you love cottage style, so I thought you might enjoy seeing one of our guestrooms. This particular guestroom (of 2) is my most cottagey. I used to have the toile linens & matelasse in my masterbedroom several years ago in GA & when we moved here, I started from scratch in the master & moved all of this in the guestroom. I really love rooms that evolve & have that layered look, as opposed to things that all match & come as a set. So, this room is completely eclectic, with bits & pieces from all different places. I found this bed once upon a time at a yardsale. It was a cherry finish & not all that great, so I painted it black to better fit what I wanted for the room.
I decided to add a soft pear green to the walls to mix it up a bit. This is the other pair of drapes that my mom made that are in my diningroom. Wall color here is from Lowes & is called Marsh, in case anyone is interested in it. It's hard to get a good shot of this color, as this room has low light, but this is pretty accurate. The very first pic is probably the most accurate colorwise.
These oak pieces were a wonderful find & I've had them for 20 years. Even though I'm not really an oak person, I love these pieces & will probably keep them forever. The story of how I got these is pretty interesting. I met a young lady who was in college at the time & she was about to move back home, so her mom told her to get rid of all her college apartment furniture. I saw it & said that I'd be interested in buying it, so she said I could have it...just like that! I couldn't just take it for nothing, even though she insisted, so I gave her $50 & she was a happy girl. I got both of these chests, along with the desk that you'll see further down & another dresser with mirror that is in another one of my guestrooms. I think these pieces are very charming & I still treasure them. I don't think I'd ever replace them with brand new pieces. They just don't make 'em like this anymore.

This is one of the dresser scarves I picked up yardsaling this year. It didn't sell in my shop, so I decided to find a home for it here & it works.
Side table with vintage lamp.
Top of smaller chest with one of the many bunnies in the room. Those green pottery pieces came from Old Time Pottery a few years ago. Would love to find more of those, they were a real deal too.
A bunny painting I picked up on clearance from Tues. AM.
Here's the oak desk I also got from the college girl. The chair was picked up later. That's the old ceiling tin mirror I picked up a few weeks ago for $10. Some of you may recognize the shape of that plate above the mirror. It is indeed milkglass (shame on me for painting it) and was a yardsale find years ago. I painted it black & decoupaged the center with wallpaper. You can spot another bunny in the middle.
Left side table is a column I've had for years with a piece of glass on top (from Hobby Lobby). toile lamp was a yardsale find for $5. You may remember that I covered the lampshade with the toile. Plant stand in the corner was a yardsale find for $1, if I remember right. It needed gluing, but I love this piece. I painted it too.
Bunny print was a yardsale find for $15. I did repaint the mat on this one. The architectural piece over it was also a yardsale find, for probably $2.
Another yardsale find, this wood tray was a good candidate for painting & decoupaging. I think this was $3.
Paris prints & some black/white plates I found at Ross. The prints were new & not a yardsale find....surprise!
And the Paris sign was also a yardsale find for around $2. I can't remember where I got the round fleur piece, probably Ross.
So that's my cottage guestroom. I love the feel of it even though the rest of my house is not so cottagey. Hope you enjoyed the tour of the girlie room!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

55 friends stopped by:

Nunnie's Attic said...

Rhoda,
HOW GORGEOUS!! I think that milkglass plate you refinished is gorgeous. I love it. Seriously don't think I would have liked it better the old way. I used to decoupage. Now I don't do anything. I think my creative flow was shut off a long time ago and I can't find the switch now. I've been left in the dark.

Love,
Julie

Rosie's Whimsy said...

It's a fabulous guest room. I'd be tempted to move in and never move out if I were your guest!

Michelle said...

Rhoda, I just LOVED seeing pictures of your guest room - it's so pretty, just like the rest of your home. Thanks so much for sharing your lovely pictures :)

Hope you are having a nice week!

Diane said...

Great guest room! Loved everything about it, especially the toile. Thanks so much for sharing the pics with us. Diane

Sandy said...

Hi Rhoda!
Can I come stay in your cozy cottage guest room?
Always love your photos.
Sandy

Fran said...

Your guestroom is gorgeous! Just what I needed this morning to get motivated to start doing some decorating. Thank you so much for the pictures and ideas.

Fran

Vonda said...

Okay girl, I'm coming for a visit...how is that for inviting myself??? :) Oh Rhoda, your guest room is gorgeous and it looks so warm and inviting! Love ya -V

Anonymous said...

The room is just beautiful. You know I love all the bunnies.

Lallee said...

I enjoyed reading how you acquired the oak pieces. They look perfect in your inviting guest room.

Anonymous said...

Ya know I love all that toile. Wish you could send me those curtains - I think they would look very nice in my DR :-)

Fabulous room, everything is just gorgeous!

Manuela

Alice said...

Oh, Rhoda, you have the most lovely details. And you really show us that beautiful rooms are more about effort and attention than money.

Cheryl Wray said...

Just BEAUTIFUL!!! I LOVE all the Paris stuff.

Kristi said...

Oh, I love that room! I was drooling over the chests of drawers. My son has a very cheap (VERY cheap) one in his room. It served well for the kids as babies. I just painted it up cheery. But now it is just to rickety and inappropriate. I've been searching yard sales for one, but nothing yet. I went shopping for them at various stores, but when I chose one my husband said we can't spend the money on it. Keep your fingers crossed I find a decent one second hand. I just need something very simple but well built.

Anyway, you just put things together SO well. I wish I could hire you!

Essential Oil Premier University said...

Rhonda, you must always be at the right place at the right time!! That college girl got rid of some beautiful, beautiful pieces of furniture!! You lucky, lucky girl!!

Your decorating of the guest room (and your whole house) is absolutely breathtaking!! You have such a knack for placing things in groupings and having it all look perfect!!

Thank you for continuing to inspire us all!!

Blessings!

Terri Steffes said...

Rhoda....I want to be a guest of yours! That room is totally inviting. You motivate me to get mine updated.

Unknown said...

Hi Rhoda,

Love your pictures of your cottage guestroom! I gave you an award today so come over when you have the chance! Have a great day!

Rosemary said...

Rhoda,
It's really beautiful!! I love the color. The furnishings are just like I would do too. You have very good taste and talent.
Thanks so much for sharing your guest room with us. I only wish I were a guest.
Rosemary

Unknown said...

Love it! Was just going to ask you where you got the rabbit print over the bed, then read it was a yardsale find, darn! I do love bunnies, too! I don't have the luck at yardsales that you do.

Jacki

Deb said...

What a gorgeous guest room. I love the Paris theme.

Debra from Bungalow said...

I spied many cute bunnies in that room. Love the toile & the green together.

Your guests must feel very comfortable, I sure would!

Thanks for the tour.

DebraK

Dena said...

Hi Rhoda,

I just love your style. This room is so elegant and the pear green is oh so perfect. This just has such a look of finery!!

Justabeachkat said...

Loved the tour. Everything looks wonderful!


Hugs!
Kat

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

You do realize we'll all want to be guests now. :)

Steph said...

I love the guest room! Just my style! And of course I love the toile!!

Anonymous said...

I canNOT believe you got those gorgeous oak peices for $50. I am so jealous. Your cottage room is adorable! Again, jealous! ~A :-)

Anonymous said...

It is simply beautiful. So many pieces that pulled together nicely!

Anonymous said...

Such a pretty retreat Rhoda!

xo,
Kim

Cottage Contessa said...

Wow,it's gorgeous! May I be your next guest?! lol
Amanda (aka Cottage Contessa)
http://jacarandacottage.blogspot.com/

PAT said...

Wonderful guest room. I don't think I've heard the story about the oak pieces before. I love it!

Pat

Little Town Big Life said...

Hi, I would like to book a stay at your guestroom--you don't have to feed or converse with me, or entertain me in any way!!! hee hee

That is just beautiful!!! I have all the items I need to redo my guest room (and have had them for 1 1/2 years), and this was just the kick start I needed to get going.

Lovely!

Julie said...

As you know - I love your style of decorating! That room looks so warm and inviting!!

Jennifer (mom of four) said...

I love your guest room!! I am a Toile kind of gal. I even have Toile Stationary on my J Designs blog.

I am a AL girl but now live in Missouri. I sure miss it!

Glad I found your blog. A little taste of home!

kari and kijsa said...

Wow- we want to be your guests in your fabulous room- Love all the details and handcrafted elements! Great Job!
blessings,
kari & kijsa

Cape Cod Washashore said...

That room is BEAUTIFUL! We don't have a guestroom... may we borrow yours? heehee I love the way you've decorated it, and I absolutely LOVE the pear green color.

~Becca~Bluebird Rose said...

What a lovely room; you've put it together so beautifully!
Now you probably have quite a line of us waiting to stay in your lovely guestroom!
:)

savvycityfarmer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
savvycityfarmer said...

how many cottage-y bloggy girlie girls are coming for a sleepover?????

Carrie said...

This guestroom is so elegant. You have coordinate each detail with taste and constraint. It is a great example of pulling disparate elements together to form a harmonious whole. Thanks for sharing with your detailed photos.

Betty said...

Rhoda,
A charming guest room and I'm sure anyone would be so comfortable staying in it.....toile is one of my favorite fabrics so I know I would like it.....

Thanks for visiting with me...Betty

Anonymous said...

Beautiful room, Rhoda! How lovely to have a guest room all made up so pretty!

Melissa

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Rhoda I absolutely adore your guest room! I love the green walls and the black toile...The bunny prints are wonderful too.

It is amazing, that you picked up so many of your items at yards sales. It looks like a high end designer room! Just lovely!
Penny

Deserae said...

Your guests are so very lucky to have such a gorgeous guest room to relax and sleep in! Love it!
~Des

tammi said...

Yeah, who'd want to leave once they were in that room?! I bet you're booking reservations left and right after this 'tour!!' What an incredibly beautiful room, Rhoda! I'm always impressed by how simple you make it seem to "d-ecclect-orate!"

Michelle said...

What a wonderful guest room! I love the Paris sign. Thanks for sharing with us!

Free Art Printables said...

I love it.. It's so clean and everything is in it's place....

Indigo Robe said...

So what time should I arrive?

LOVE LOVE LOVE your guest room! I am trying to re do my bedroom and your cottage guest room is actually my inspiration!

Have a great time in the mountains this weekend!

Cheri said...

Thanks for sharing your room with us! I love it!

Lizzie said...

I want to be your guest! How wonderful to be able to offer such a pretty respite to visiting friends and family!

Mrs. Jones said...

Absolutely beautiful Rhoda. You are so talented!

Erin~~The Classy Rabbit~~ said...

What a beautiful room! I love it!!
I am in love with all of your adorable bunny pictures too!! Have a great week!

Erin

Susie Q said...

I love toile and your colors are so pretty and elegant. I have a few of those bunny pictures and adore them! What a prefect guest room! I have a guest room that I re -did in burgundy, black and white toile with touches of yellow. But Dan moved back in! It still is pretty albeit, covered in clothes, text books and computer gear. : )
Hugs,
Sue

Suzann said...

Oh my! This room amazing! I LOVE toile and black toile is my all-time favorite. The bunny picture from Tuesday Morning is beautiful. I hope that as my rooms evolve, they feel as warm, welcoming, and cozy and this room does.

Suzann said...

Oh my! This room amazing! I LOVE toile and black toile is my all-time favorite. The bunny picture from Tuesday Morning is beautiful. I hope that as my rooms evolve, they feel as warm, welcoming, and cozy and this room does.

Mrs. Julie Fink said...

I love what you did with the window! I've been wondering what to do about a large window in my bedroom and this idea might work. If not, do you do any online consulting?

Anonymous said...

Love the bunnies, all of them, and
I thought they were done with, but I decorate with what I like. Love the laundry room too. Just found
your website and a new best friend.