Friday, November 23, 2007

Fall Colors My Neighborhood

(click to enlarge all the pics)

When we moved in this neighborhood 2 years ago, we noticed (you couldn't miss it) a big, huge house on the mountain ridge overlooking our subdivision & wondered about it then. We actually live on a little mountain, with rolling hills all around us. Our fall color has just reached peak right here at Thanksgiving, so I thought I'd show you some of the beautiful colors that are peeking out right now. Rumour has it that this house was built by a developer as a spec house & it never sold. It was listed at $2.5 million on the MLS listing last time I saw it. We don't think anyone has ever lived here from what we've been told. The first month or so after we moved in, my hubby and I went hiking in our woods and ended up at this house by chance, where we peered in the windows & enjoyed the awesome views from the top of the mountain.
Here's a beautiful fall shot of color from on top of the mountain.
And the big sprawling house. We decided to drive up the steep driveway this week & take a look at the house again & see the beautiful views right now, since our Fall color is just glorious. Still can't figure out if it is occupied, although from what we've heard, it is being rented out for weddings and big events. Don't know what the real truth is, but this is one BIG house. I think there are 5 garage bays. I wouldn't want a house this big, but it's fun to look at. We sometimes see all the lights on at night.
Here's the front door. Here's another shot of the view from the top. Really beautiful this time of year. The mountain was leveled for the house to be built, so there are views from all sides of this place. This is the frontside.
And this is overlooking our neighborhood on the backside. Who needs to go to NC or TN, when we've got this in our backyard?!
More fall color driving through our neighborhood, I couldn't resist taking some pics to capture these days.

Red leaves.
And yellow leaves.
We weren't sure we would get much fall color this year with our drought, but it surprised us after all & we are being rewarded right now with some pretty leaves. I just love this time of year. Not looking forward to them all falling though, as I don't love raking leaves. Hubby gets to do most of that.
Brilliant red across the street from us.
And looking out from our back deck to the neighboring ridge across from us.

Hope you enjoyed the fall tour! If anyone in the Birmingham area knows anything about the house on the mountain, I'd love to hear about it! We ate ourselves silly yesterday at my hubby's family & now we are off to Atlanta just for the day to do the same with mine! Hope y'all have a wonderful weekend. Time to start getting those Christmas decorations out!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

24 friends stopped by:

PAT said...

It's good to see your beautiful fall trees, Rhoda!

Amazingly, we still have leaves on trees, here! It's 29F, this morning. A year ago, next week we had ice and snow. Winter is a comin', I'm sure. We've certainly enjoyed Autumn!

That house is beautiful! What a great wedding venue, it would be!
Pat

Lana Manis said...

Oh my Rhoda! That is a HUGE house! It is beautiful atop the mountain. Loved your fall scenery!

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Rhoda~ you are so right, the colors have been beautiful this year!
I am laughing at the thought of y'all sneaking around that house taking pictures. I hope that no one has really moved in!

tammi said...

Oh that was YOU peering in my windows!! Ha. I think my house would fit into that outdoor patio! What a great house -- although far too big for me to want to clean it voluntarily!!

Thanks for the great tour of your area again! As tough as it is for some people to imagine having a thorough covering of snow already, I can't even fathom the warmth you must still be experiencing!!!

Anonymous said...

What a shame to build such a house and have no one live there.

Those autumn leaves are truly amazing. Thanks for sharing.

Kate

Anonymous said...

Beautiful trees, wow!

Rhoda, you are a girl after my own heart. I cannot tell you how many houses I have tip toed around peeking through windows and shrubs trying to get a glimpse! LOL!

Happy decorating!

Melissa

Esther Sunday said...

Rhoda, the foliage is beautiful! Our colors in North Idaho peak mid October. We have more evergreen trees here of course, but still, the colors are lovely. What a great view! If I see homes for sale and they look unoccupied, I love to peak in to. If it is the type of house that I like, I will also stand there looking in and imagine how I would decorate, colors I would paint, etc. I am afraid one day I'll get arrested! Love, Esther

Justabeachkat said...

Beautiful photos! So glad you didn't get yourself arrested for tresspassing....LOL!

Hugs!
Kat

Kissing of the Frogs said...

I enjoyed the house tour...sounds like something I would do - HA! The fall leaves are just lovely, thanks for sharing.
Rose

Sandi McBride said...

What lovely pictures. I love fall so much just for that. The winter can have some beautiful scenescapes, too though...then there's Spring! Summer, well less said about summer...still a drought...sighhhh..

Unknown said...

Beautiful pictures! I think the leaves are especially pretty this year. That house is amazing -- I love the front door. Hope you and your family had a great Thanksgiving.

Rosemary said...

Wow Rhoda!!
What great shots of the beautiful trees. That house is amazing.
Thanks so much for showing it to us.
I have been busy with my decorating the last couple of days.
Rosemary

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photos--and what a thrill to get to see that house! What a mystery!
~Angela :-)

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

You're a true blogger - never going anywhere without your camera. :) And we're all so thankful for the eye candy you provide us with!

Rebecca E. Parsons/Cre8Tiva said...

rhoda...so glad to see my house is causing so much talk in alabama...lol...i wish...safe travel...blessings, rebecca

Patriot said...

Wow - those pictures are absolutely gorgeous! What a cool place to live!

Hi! I just came across your blog tonight, and I wanted to let you know about a new giveaway I'm hosting this week! Come check it out - thanks!!

Mary said...

Rhoda I'm laughing so much picturing you and DH looking through the windows of the big house. It's a huge one - hope it's not being used for something illegal!!!

Like you I thought the Fall colors would be poor this year with the drought, but those leaves are lovely............and now they are starting to fall rapidly - we raked for several hours this morning!

Unknown said...

Oh how lovely to see all those beautiful trees in your neighborhood! Just breathtaking!

Cottage Contessa said...

Terrific photo's! Maybe you could ring your local council and tell them that you are interested in holding a function at that house if it's possible, and get a contact number. Suss things out that way perhaps? Good luck, let us know what you find out eventually!
Amanda (aka Cottage Contessa)

Mary said...

Dear Rhoda, lovely fall color pictures! I'm laughing at the thought of you peeking in windows and taking photos! What would you have done if someone was peeking back out at you?! Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!
xoxo,
Mary

Andi said...

Your fall color is beautiful Rhoda. Maybe next year our trip to Birmingham will be later in the year so we can see some of that pretty color.

What a nice big home in such a lovely setting on the mountaintop.

So glad you had a good Thanksgiving.

kari and kijsa said...

The colors of the leaves are wonderful...what a view!

Have a blessed day!

smiles, kari and kijsa

Sandy McTier Designs said...

What beautiful colors in those trees! What a HUGE house and such a shame if it's not lived in.

have a wonderful day!
Sandy;)

Lisa said...

I so miss seeing the fall colors. Thank you for sharing this wonderful glimpse of your view.