Sunday, November 25, 2007

Before & After paint project: Black Nightstand

From humble beginnings in a hotel, here's the nightstand that caught my bargain-loving eye...a $19.95 deal from The Tutwiler. I knew it was a diamond in the rough. (click all pics to enlarge for details) Home on my driveway awaiting it's new coat of paint.
Hardware off, primed and ready to paint.

One coat of Ralph Lauren Turret Stairs satin paint.
These little mini-rollers are great for painting furniture. Easy to handle. I wrap the whole thing in plastic wrap & store it in the fridge between coats...I'm really lazy & hate to wash paint brushes. The roller, brush & plastic holder stayed in the fridge for at least a week while I was working on this. That's a good tip for you if you hate to wash brushes like I do...it will all wash out when you finish & want to put it all away.
Paint & mini-roller again.
Painted the hardware with my Sophisticated Finishes in Blackened Bronze. Those finials go on my hubby's lamps in his office so I painted over the brass on those too.
And here it in in place in my cottage guestroom. I just love it in here & it looks like it belongs with the black bed. Soft pear green paint color is pretty accurate in this pic.
Closeup of the finish & hardware. Hard to get a good pic of black furniture & the paint color. This one shows it a little better.
Whole shot with the bed too...it's a great little nightstand for the guestroom & I'm really glad I found it. The black pairs well with my old oak pieces in here. My hubby's office furniture is all finished & in place & when I can get him to straighten the room up, I'll take pics in there. He doesn't mind a messy office! I may just have to resort to selective photography to show you that room.

It's such a thrill to do this kind of project & see the transformation happen before your eyes. Very rewarding! Thanks for stopping by.
I'm a busy little bee getting my Christmas decor out...boxes came out of the attic on Saturday, with the help of my hubby. Now, the tree is almost finished & I'm putzing around figuring out what else I can get done. My plan is to do a little each night & maybe it will be finished by next weekend! Do you ever feel like you've got more going on than you have time to get done? That's about how I feel right now. Thanksgiving is over...and it was great! Now, on to Christmas!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

34 friends stopped by:

Anonymous said...

That looks great. You certainly have an eye for the finished picture. Looking forward to seeing Hubby's office pictures.

Michelle said...

As always, you did such a nice job, Rhoda! LOVE the nightstand redo :)

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

Awesome. You did a wonderful job. Blessings Mary

Anonymous said...

Rhoda, it does look wonderful! You do such great work, I just wish I had the patience for it!

I always feel like I have more to do that I have time for. I have had to learn to let a lot of things slide or I get overwhelmed.

My husband got my boxes down today (not a chance I was going up in any attic, after my mouse encounters lately!).

So this week, a little bit of decorating every day. I just found out I am going to be hosting our large family party this year, in TWO WEEKS! Yeah, guess I better get busy and quit blogging.

And the fungi? Oh, you and me both are caught unaware on that trend. I'll see what I can do to catch us up! LOL!

Happy week!

Melissa

Designs on 47th Street said...

Hi Rhonda! I have been reading your blog for awhile but have been unable to leave a comment. I think I have it figured out now. I read your blog daily. Let me just say it is a favorite of mine! Thanks for all the inspiration!

Rosemary said...

Hi Rhoda,
I feel the same way right now!!
Your nightstand turned out great. I love it. It looks like a whole different piece.
Good job!
Rosemary

Esther Sunday said...

LOVE it!!!!! Turned out great! Yes, it is sooo rewarding, isn't it? To take something you got for a steal and turn it into a gem! I used to have a spot in an Antiques mall. My style was shabby chic/cottage and I painted alot of furniture! A lot of work, but so fun to see the end result!

Essential Oil Premier University said...

Rhoda, that night stand turned out beautiful. Good find, great transformation. . . as always!

Can't wait to see hubby's office re-do.

Blessings,

Sher

Steph said...

Wow, that turned out really great! It looks wonderful in the room!

Free Art Printables said...

It looks great. I love it...I love furniture transformations!!! I use those rollers all of the time too. Your get such a nice finish! Great job!

Dena said...

Hi Rhoda,

What a perfect addition to your guest room. I just love that soft pear colored paint mixed with the bold black. It's so elegant.

Hugs,
Dena

Terri Steffes said...

That is one great piece and I love that you painted it black. That is my favorite!

Unknown said...

great job on that piece!

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

The tip about keeping the old brushed din the fridge is brilliant! I am just wondering how you discovered that??

Sandi McBride said...

Nice job, Rhoda...I love "recyling", too!

Unknown said...

Rhoda,

You did such a great job. I enlarged both the before and after and it really does look good with the bed. And to think you got that for such a good price. Looking forward to seeing your Christmas decorations.

ohiofarmgirl said...

It turned out great...I bet it looks fabulous in person. Dianntha

Kissing of the Frogs said...

Rhoda,
Great job! Love how it turned out...thanks for sharing. Now, can you transform some of my old stuff? HA!

Adriann said...

Great job! Love the wall color too!!

CIELO said...

... Beautiful; you did such a good job (as usual) and thank you for the painting tips... I too hate to clean paint brushes... I'll try your tactics next time :)

Cielo

Anonymous said...

Good job! It looks so different and I love the hardware. I'm a lazy painter too - it seems like I always have a wrapped brush or tray in the fridge LOL!

Manuela

Anonymous said...

"oops, she did it again"...

;-)

WONDERFUL JOB, as always, with this transformation and it looks perfect in your cottagy room! Yea Rhoda!

xo,
Kim

Julie said...

Hi Rhonda,

I am playing catch up on all of my favorite blogs today. I love your new bed side table!! Also really enjoyed the fall table settings. Sooo elegant!!!

Becky K. said...

That turned out very nicely. Ahhh...the reward of a creative job done well.
Becky K.

Nunnie's Attic said...

Rhoda,
I'm so sorry I haven't been around visiting like I normally do. And to think I almost missed this post. I was waiting for you to post the finished project. It came out lovely. We always wrapped in tin foil and then into the freezer but I'm thinking the plastic wrap would be better. Thanks for the tip!

Love,
Julie

Anonymous said...

What a great project! I love how the black works with the oak. ANd that green color on the wall is scrumptious! I'm interested in learning more about your metal finishing stuff--where do you get it?
~Angela :-)

Lallee said...

I love this transformation. What on earth would we do without paint????

I hope to get my Christmas boxes out of the attic tomorrow!

Lallee

K :) said...

Wow. Loved looking through all of your yard sale finds. I am so inspired. I want to jump in my car and go find one right now! Ok, guess I'll wait until Saturday. Great blog.

Unknown said...

Hi Rhoda,

I see you were also awarded the Friendly Site Award. How did you copy the pic into your blog? I can't get it to copy in. Thanks for any pointers.

Jacki

Jolene George said...

Holy smokes! That turned out beautiful! I have a table I'm going to be painting soon. You've inspired me to actually do it.

He Knows My Name said...

fantastic! what a good looking piece!

~janel

Jen Kershner said...

Rhoda,
You alway have been, and always will be, the queen of the furniture redo. Great job!

Julie L. Light said...

Fabulous...I loved watching the transformation. What a difference a little paint can make :-)
Julie

Anonymous said...

LOVE your nightstand!! What a great project -- and you do have such a keen eye for a bargain and a beauty!


Jan at Rosemary Cottage or Teacats!