Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Frittatas: Not Just for Breakfast

Breakfast food is a favorite of ours, so many times I will make breakfast for lunch or dinner. I've found several recipes over the years for frittatas & really enjoy this hearty dish, so I sort of made up my own recipe and just throw this together whenever a fast meal is needed. First, cube up some red potatoes, sprinkle with salt & pepper & drizzle with a little olive oil. Toss to coat & I used my deep dish baking dish from Pampered Chef, which works great for this, but you can use any baking dish OR a cast iron skillet for that matter. I cook the potates in the oven at 400* for about 30 min. until they are tender.
Next, you can have fun & just mix in any ole' ingredients that you happen to have around the house, the more the better. This time, I only had some grape tomatoes, cheese, & green bell peppers. I would normally add some canned mushrooms, maybe a little diced onion...really you can go wild here & use whatever you like. Mix up 6 or so eggs and you're ready to cook.
Here, I've poured the stirred eggs over the potatoes, sprinkled all the ingredients on top & then I added a little seasoned salt. Turn down the oven to 350* and put it back for about 30-35 minutes or until eggs look cooked enough.
Here's what it looks like right out of the oven, all cheesey & gooey...just the way I like it! Cut it, scoop it out, serve it up & it's a great little meal.
Add some fresh sliced pears (they were so right about food looking better on white plates...who knew?), a couple slices of sourdough Italian bread that's been toasted & slathered up with my mama's homemade strawberry jam, a glass of milk & call it a meal! Easy, my hubby loves it and it tastes good. Good eatin', y'all on these busy days ahead!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

33 friends stopped by:

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

Okay that looks so yummy! I am going to have to make it. Thank-you for sharing.
ginger

Michelle said...

Boy, does that ever look delicious! I'll bet it tasted every bit as good as it looked, too! We had "breakfast for dinner" growing up and I still do that for my own family.

Have a good day!

Michelle

OldBagNewTricks said...

Breakfast is the best... any time. We're camping for Christmas, with vegetarians, and I've been caasting about for menu ideas. I'm using this one, thank you VERY much.

Jenny

Nicoletobusy3 said...

That looks so good!! I have to try that recipe. You are right it looks so simple to make. We just got some chickens and only have two eggs so far.....so better wait for more to make recipe. Thanks for sharing it!!!

Anonymous said...

I've always like the idea of a frittata but never made one. This looks so easy, and yummy - I'm making one this weekend! Thanks!

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

Oh YUM!!! A girl after my own heart. I love breakfast food and I think I could eat it for every meal.

Unknown said...

I am SO HUNGRY now! That looks like a meal I'd enjoy making. And a good one for the last of my tomatoes from the garden. Have to try it this week. Thanks.

Jacki

Unknown said...

I am SO HUNGRY now! That looks like a meal I'd enjoy making. And a good one for the last of my tomatoes from the garden. Have to try it this week. Thanks.

Jacki

Anonymous said...

Yum going to try this one, nice and easy... right up my alley this time of year.

As always "thanks" for your nice ideas !!!

Kathy :)

Sandi McBride said...

That looks so good...I wasn't hungry till I dropped in here, lol. Imagine the Homer Simpson noises....uhhhhhhfritata....lol
xo
Sandi

Alice said...

I love breakfast any time too and that looks GOOD!

Rosemary said...

Looks great Rhoda!!
Thanks for sharing. I forgot to tell you. I made those pecan mini muffins again for Thanksgiving. They were a big hit. Everyone loved them.
Thanks again,
Rosemary

Anonymous said...

Mmmm...looks really cheesey and yummy! Just what I'd love for dinner. Not my husband though, or my daughter LOL! I wish I could do breakfast for lunch or dinner. It's really my favorite meal.

Manuela

tammi said...

Oh, YUM! Huh, I think you might have just inspired my supper tonight!! Per my post this morning, I discovered just an hour ago that hubby will be home tonight after planning that he wouldn't be home until tomorrow night, so impromptu supper it is!!! I know, I need to start making square meals even when he isn't around, but it just feels like it's not worth the effort when it's just me and my little girls! Your frittata looks wonderful!!

Rebecca E. Parsons/Cre8Tiva said...

looks luscious...i might try this...i once had an appitizer recipe that was egg, cheese and banana peppers...baked and sliced and served onn triscuits...i have lost it, but this might come close...thanks...blessings, rebecca

Nunnie's Attic said...

We love to have breakfast for dinner. And frittatas are one of our favorites. I will save some spaghetti (before the sauce) and use that in my frittata sometimes. You're right. You really have carte blanche on it and yours looks delicious.

Love,
Julie

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

That looks so wonderful!!! We love breakfast for dinner alot. I will be trying this on Sunday night. Mary

Kissing of the Frogs said...

Yum does that look good..you're making me hungry, and I just ate!
We took our boys to IHOP for dinner once and my little one asked if we "forgot" to eat breakfast - so cute. I'll have to try your recipe.
Rose

Unknown said...

That really looks good Rhoda! Thanks so much for sharing and I really like your holiday background too.

Deserae said...

Okay, this looks easy enough for even me to make so I must try it!!!! Thanks for sharing the recipe....it looks delicious!
~Des

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

I LOVE frittata's. Your recipe sound wonderful. I have always cooked mine in a pan on the stove. After the potatoes,onions and bacon/ham/whatever has cooked, then I add the eggs and cover. Yours looks so much EASIER!! Thanks!!
Penny

Cottage Contessa said...

I love quick and easy dinners too for those crazy days! Thanks for sharing.
Amanda (aka Cottage Contessa)

Betty said...

Rhoda,

My husband would love this so I'll make it for him....I don't like eggs so I'll have something else......Betty

Unknown said...

Hi Rhoda! I have been dropping by your great blog every once in a while but haven't posted before. I just wanted to tell you how delicious this looks and say thanks for posting it. I am hosting Christmas Eve brunch for DH's family (hopefully in the new house!) and I am DEFINITELY putting this on the menu! Thanks for a great idea! Lou Ann

Terri Steffes said...

Aren't they the perfect food? Nutritious and delicious!

Anonymous said...

Woah...that looks so delish!

I love your blog! It's my first time here.
My parents live in Homewood...I graduated high school at Hoover. My husband and I live in Nashville now but we loovvvve Birmingham and go every chance we get.

xo
Rebekka

Robin's Nesting Place said...

I love your blog! I think I've now read every post from the beginning. I'm an Alabama girl too, we've mostly lived in Tuscaloosa but spent a few years in Birmingham while my husband attended Samford. We now live in Indiana. I love garage sales and bargains too and you are giving me great decorating inspiration.

Deb said...

This looks delicious Rhoda!

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Look yummy. I can almost smell it.

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

I love breakfast food for dinner. This looks positively mouthwatering. I'm heading down to make dinner (I mean breakfast, I'm inspired!) right now.

Thank you, Rhoda!

Esther Sunday said...

Leftovers? I'll take em'

Susie Q said...

WE love breakfast for dinner and oh how good frittatas are!
Yours looks gorgeous! Look at those colors! They just pop!
Food is extra special when it looks as great as it tastes!

Hugs,
Sue

Niesz Vintage Home said...

Wow! Thanks for the fabulous recipe! And it sounds so easy!

I actually prefer most breakfast foods later in the day, so this will be a perfect dinner for us.

Kimberly :)