Friday, November 30, 2007

Angel in the Post Office

My sweet Tara, who I wrote about awhile back.


I opened an email recently from my sister in Georgia & in it was a heart-warming story about a little girl & her dog. Read this one & grab a box of tissues before you do! You will be shedding a few tears, I'm quite sure.

Angel in the Post Office

This is one of the kindest things I've ever experienced. I have no way to know who sent it, but there is a kind soul working in the dead letter office of the US postal service.

Our 14 year old dog, Abbey, died last month. The day after she died, my 4 year old daughter Meredith was crying and talking about how much she missed Abbey. She asked if we could write a letter to God so that when Abbey got to heaven, God would recognize her. I told her that I thought we could so she dictated these words:

Dear God,

Will you please take care of my dog? She died yesterday and is with you in heaven. I miss her very much. I am happy that you let me have her as my dog even though she got sick. I hope you will play with her. She likes to play with balls and to swim. I am sending a picture of her so when you see her you will know that she is my dog. I really miss her.

Love, Meredith

We put the letter in an envelope with a picture of Abbey and Meredith and addressed it to God/Heaven. We put our return address on it. Then Meredith pasted several stamps on the front of the envelope because she said it would take lots of stamps to get the letter all the way to heaven. That afternoon she dropped it into the letter box at the post office. A few days later, she asked if God had gotten the letter yet. I told her that I thought He had. Yesterday, there was a package wrapped in gold paper on our front porch addressed, 'To Meredith' in an unfamiliar hand.

Meredith opened it. Inside was a book by Mr. Rogers called, 'When a Pet Dies.' Taped to the inside front cover was the letter we had written to God in its opened envelope. On the opposite page was the picture of Abbey & Meredith and this note:

Dear Meredith,

Abbey arrived safely in heaven. Having the picture was a big help. I recognized Abbey right away. Abbey isn't sick anymore. Her spirit is here with me just like it stays in your heart. Abbey loved being your dog. Since we don't need our bodies in heaven, I don't have any pockets to keep your picture in, so I am sending it back to you in this little book for you to keep and have something to remember Abbey by. Thank you for the beautiful letter and thank your mother for helping you write it and sending it to me. What a wonderful mother you have. I picked her especially for you. I send my blessings every day and remember that I love you very much. By the way, I am wherever there is love.
Love, God

If that one didn't grab your heart, I don't know what would!
******************************************************

I'm so excited....I'm getting together on Saturday with the "B" girls (BEAUTIFUL BABBLING BOISTEROUS BLOGGING BABES)...I've met Kat already when we went to FL in May and am looking forward to meeting Tracey, Jill, Dianne, Sandi, and Tonya here in Birmingham. Several of them have met each other at different times & now they are all coming to B'ham for a weekend of fun, shopping, & eating. You know it will be a blast! I'll take pics & report in soon! Hope you all have a wonderful weekend too.

Oh, and before I forget....stop by Debra's, The Bunnies' Bungalow, and sign up for her 100th post giveaway. Be sure to tell her I sent you! You won't be disappointed. Debra has great taste & has some wonderful things in her giveaway. I hope I win!
I'm trying to finish up my Christmas decorating...it's really going slow this year, so will be posting some pics next week!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

17 friends stopped by:

Elle Jay Bee said...

Hi Rhoda!
I just got caught up with all your wonderful posts. I have been a sporadic blogger lately, and so I try to catch up with my favourites when I get the chance. That was a lovely story and perfect for this time of year...
Have fun with your blogging buddies. I am sure you girls will have a blast together...it sounds like a lot of fun!!

Happy decorating...I am looking forward to seeing more of your lovely decorations!

Linda
XOX

willzmom said...

Gulp, sniff, sniff+ big lump in my throat. What a sweet story! I hope that you have a FABU time with the bloggy babes. I know you'll have some great stuff to share with us.

Kissing of the Frogs said...

Oh Rhoda...you're right I need a kleenex now. How sweet....I love to hear wonderful stories like this. Thanks for sharing!

Sandi McBride said...

I received that e-mail from a friend a couple of weeks ago and you're right...a box of tissues was in order...

Maureen said...

OH Rhodie, that was so touching! Thanks for sharing! I am going to duck right now, because I chose to tag you on my blog this week! Be sure to check it out. Your day with the girls sounds wonderful. You know, rumor has it that one of your B'ham chums is headed this way this weekend! ;)

Anonymous said...

Rhoda,

I LOVED that story....oh my how touching. What an amazing person to take the time and touch the life of that little girl, she will never forget that. Wouldn't it be a lovely place if everyone in the world was as kind ????

Have a wonderful time with the girls...sounds like a ball.

Looking forward to seeing the office !!!

Have a nice week-end,
Kathy :)

Dena said...

Oh I read this recently and it is definately a tissue required read. Sounds like you are going to have a great time with the blog girls. What fun to get to meet folks in person!

Hugs,
Dena

Rosemary said...

How sweet was that story??
Have a fun time with your blog friends.
Rosemary

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

That is so amazingly kind. Blessings Mary

ShabbyInTheCity said...

Very nice story. I hadn't seen that one yet!
I'm eyeballing a recipe below that looks yummo...off to play!

Unknown said...

That was a great story about the dog and I went back and read your post about your dog. I know how you feel. After I lost my golden retriever, I never got another dog. Couldn't go through that again and didn't know if I would be blessed twice with an angel. And I'm so jealous of you all meeting this weekend. Hope you have a great time and post lots of photos.

Peggy said...

Hello Rhoda, How wonderful it is to visit your blog!! It makes my day to see all the lovely posts. I am just starting a blog and want to know how you get the different backgrounds, such as the candy cane paper on your blog. If you can help that would be great!
happy Christmas to you. Peggy

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

nuela123Sounds like a fun time with some bloggy friends! How's the Christmas decorating going? I just finally got my boxes out of storage and am going to tacke the outside first. Have a great weekend!

Manuela

kari and kijsa said...

Wow- That just grabbed out hearts! What an amazing (and amazingly wonderful) story! Have a fabulous weekend out with the girls!

blessings,
kari & kijsa

Nunnie's Attic said...

As I told Kat - I'm totally jealous. How fun it would be to get together. I think a bloggers conference is in order. I'm thinking spring??

Love,
Julie

ohiofarmgirl said...

What a wonderful story of compassion! A cherished memory for sure. Dianntha

Free Art Printables said...

What a great story!