Sunday, November 18, 2007

What you can buy for $5 and a Flippy Do

This might be my last weekend hitting the yardsales for awhile. With the holidays coming and Winter biting in January & February, I probably won't be so anxious to get up early & freeze, so I can safely say that they will just have to wait til about March, when I'll be chomping at the bit to get out there again to find the bargains. So, with that in mind, I did go to a few on Saturday morning. Spent a grand total of $5. This pretty book about needlepoint in Venice caught my eye. Lots of gorgeous pictures & I've always loved needlepoint. Maybe one day when I don't have any other hobbies, I'll give it a try. 50 cents.
50 cents for this pretty little blue and white plate.
I actually bought this pair of pretty birds from my neighbor's yardsale last week for $1, so it's not in this week's total.

Another creamy white urn, this one was $3, my big spend of the day. I have some plans for my Christmas decor in the diningroom & hope to showcase all my creamware collection. It's rolling around in my head right now. These pics are a little blurry, but this white painted picture frame was $1. I think I have plans for this one too to do something for the frontdoor similar to Heather's creation at Past Present Collection. Check out this post & pic...that girl is very creative & I love what she did for her frontdoor! This one will be perfect for that.

***********************************************************
On to other news...why is it that hair is such an important part of a woman's life? We thrive on good hair days & angonize when it's not doing well. I have been trying to find a good hairstyle for myself for awhile now & it seems to be getting shorter & shorter & I don't have the patience to keep it longer anymore. Has anyone else experienced your hair changing as you've gotten older? Mine sure has...it used to be SO curly & now most of the curl is gone on top & on the sides. I used to hate my curl, but didn't know how good I had it til I started losing some of it. Still have curl in the back, but nothing like it used to be. Guess I can chalk it up to hormones, that's the only explanation I can find. Anyway, I'm liking it shorter now, as when I let it get longer, it just feels like a mop!
Got my hair cut about 8 weeks ago & it was past time for a trim, so I decided to take a cue from my friend, Debra, at The Bunnies' Bungalow, and do a drop-in & try out one of those chain hair salons. I chose one near my house called Supercuts. I had it cut in a shorter flippy do last time I went & the other girl did a good job, but honestly I have gotten tired of paying almost $50 for a haircut. The girl I've been going to for about a year just moved salons and last time I was in there she told me her rates would be going up after the first of the year, so that will mean with a tip, it would be $50. Maybe that's average for many areas, but I just hate paying that much every 6-8 weeks for a haircut. I'm a city girl, so know how it is, but I didn't even pay that much in Atlanta. So, back to my big plan. I just loved Debra's new do that she posted a few weeks ago, so I decided, what the heck...I'll stop by this Supercuts & take my chances. I need a trim... right, so the worst that could happen is I hate it & don't go back. My hair grows like a weed anyway, so I'd just have to suck it up for a few weeks until it grew some.
So, I stopped in after work on Friday night, went in & sat down to wait on someone to get to me. Saw a young girl with blue streaks in her hair working on someone. I think to myself, please Lord, don't let that girl cut my hair...she's got blue streaks. Oh. my. goodness...I think I'm making a mistake. I could just get up and leave, but I figure I'm here, I'll give it a try. So, who comes over to get me but blue-streaks herself. She's really sweet, her name is Sheena. She shampoos me, I show her Debra's picture that I have printed off (told you I loved it, Debra!). She says, no problem, she can do that just fine. She really takes her time & cuts it & is very precise about going around my hair cutting all the layers. Comments on how much hair I have (which every hair stylist always does!). She loves my hair & has fun working on it. So, after the blow drying and styling, I take a look and absolutely LOVE it! She has nailed my hair perfectly & I'm so happy with it. I'll take Ms. Blue Streaks any day! The girl knows how to cut my hair. Now, if I can just manage to fix it like she did....those stylists really have a way with hair.
So, this is my version of the flip....YESSSSS, I'll be going back to her and saving money too! I had to come home & take pics so I can remember how she dried it. Total for this shampoo, cut & style was $30, including tip...now that's more like it! So how expensive are haircuts where you are? I know they vary all over the country & $50 is nothing to a lot of people, but I happen to be cheap on stuff like that. Now, I hate bad haircuts just as much as everyone else, but if I can get a GOOD haircut for less, why not! I even do wet cuts often too, as I could care less about getting it styled every single time. I'm at the gym a lot & have to wash it often anyway.


One extra special thing about this story I want to share with you. Our precious pastor at our very large dynamic church has been urging us all to share the gospel with those we come in contact with. That's always been a difficult thing for me to do, to get out of my comfort zone & to be more aware of those around me that I come in contact with & what needs may be there that I can speak to. I can cocoon with the best of them & just stay in my little world around my close friends & not let the outside world get in too much. But, our pastor has really been talking about world & community outreach this whole summer & I've felt the need to be more open to what God is trying to do around me. I so much want to let God use me to impact people that I meet. I know that he will always open those doors, if I will be obedient and open my mouth to speak.


So, Ms. blue streak and I had a nice conversation. She's very young & told me about the relationship she is in & it sounded like it wasn't very healthy. She mentioned that God was important to her & her boyfriend had just acknowledged that there is a God...well, that's step one. I asked her if she is a Christian & she said she was. I asked her if she had a church she was part of & she said that no, she hadn't been going for a long while. I invited her to our church & she told me that her mother has been trying to get her to come to that church, as well as a few other people. I explained to her how important it is when you are a Christian to get good teaching & surround yourself with others who are Believers too. She said she knew it was important, so I hope she will come. I will keep talking to her & keep inviting her, now that I'll be going back to get my hair cut there. I just think it's neat that when you least expect it, God will open a door for us to go through, even when it is just a spur of the moment decision. I want to be open to more of those opportunities & they are everywhere if we just look & listen.


Hope y'all have a great week!


Stumble Upon Toolbar

47 friends stopped by:

Anonymous said...

Your hair is so cute!! Love it! I go to Ulta and even there a cut is $40 without the tip!

That book looks good - love that idea with the frame & wreath. That's really pretty!

Manuela

Steph said...

Hair looks great and what a bargain! When I first moved to my present home and was going into Charleston SC for my hair, I was paying $170 for cut and color every 6 weeks! Hubby was having a fit! Finally, I found a girl in the actual town i live in that does the same for $75 and that includes the tip! We are funny about our hair!

Esther Sunday said...

LOVE the do!!!!!!

Unknown said...

That style is too cute! I love it on you! I wish I could have my hair like that. Well, I could, but it takes an hour of straightening this curly mess.

I pay $15 for a cut, that includes style too. My hairdresser is VERY nice to me. In addition to cutting my hair how I like it, she knows we have a large family. She charges me $2 less for myself and for each of the boys when I bring them in. (They are $10 each with the discount.)

So, every six to eight weeks I spend $45 for the four of us to get a haircut. (My husband shaves his head, a cop thing.) When I read what you were paying for one trip, I about fell off my chair!

Unknown said...

I love the new do. I also loved Debra's. I've been fighting the urge to cut mine off but I feel it coming. It took so long to grow it and now I don't know what to do with it. What looks good on movies stars doesn't look so good in the real world (I guess that's because we have to fix it ourselves). Also love that you were a witness to this young girl. Great story. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Michelle said...

Love the new 'do, Rhoda - looks great on ya!

That's so exciting that you had an opportunity to have such an important conversation with that girl. Who knows what seed you planted that day? It's neat to see how God opens doors and leads us to speak with people when we are willing, isn't it?! I LOVE that!

Have a great week!

Justabeachkat said...

Your hair looks great...very similar to the way I cut mine several months back. Recently I cut it again, this time a little shorter. Love the look on you!

The idea about the frame and the wreath on the door is awesome...hmmmm...might be good for me too. We'll see.

Looking forward to seeing you...less than 2 weeks now.

Hug!
Kat

Tonja said...

Love the hair! And, don't you just feel like God led you there to get a good haircut and to be a witness?

"B" CLUB is getting nearer!

Amy said...

Your hair looks great, Rhoda! Can I ask - do you do your own color? It looks great, too!
Amy
p.s. I paid about $80 every three months in Chicago (long hair) and have no idea how much it costs here in Baltimore - may have to try a SuperCuts or something!

Anonymous said...

Your new hairstyle is darling! And I love the idea of putting a frame on the front door for Christmas. May have to try that one. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving ~ Lynn
P.S. I pay $30.00 for a cut, color, shampoo and style. This girl is wonderful, has a shop in her home and isn't taking new customers. I was lucky to get in when I first moved out here to the country.

Angela @ Cottage Magpie said...

What a super-cute do! I have just moved and I haven't found a new person yet, for fear of disaster, and my hair is a huge big long moppy mess! Maybe I'll just take my chances on a chain... Because sister, I am SO with you on paying so much for a haircut!
~Angela :-)

Essential Oil Premier University said...

Cute hair cut Rhoda.

Yes, our Lord will open the doors for us to witness, we need to be willing to walk through them for Him. Maybe little Miss Blue streaks needed you to walk through that door EXACTLY when you did!! Sometimes people (young kids) will listen to strangers better than their own mothers.

Blessings,

Sher

Donna, The Decorated House said...

Hey Rhoda,
I really like your new do! Looks good on you. Yeah, hair changes. Ugh! It's been driving me crazy lately, too.
Donna

Jolene George said...

LOL! Miss Blue Streaks did an awesome job. You look beautiful with your new cut. I love it and totally agree with not paying $50 for a cut...just nuts!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one who hates paying that much. I'm so excited that I found someone close & it's very reasonable too. She will definitely get my business!

Amy, about color....yes, I do it myself. I've always just highlighted my hair with blonde highlights since I was about 18. My natural color is a dark strawberry blonde. As I've gotten older, the gray really comes out on top a lot & lucky for me, it's a platinum gray & not steely gray. So, now I color all over with a Medium Golden Blonde & then add a few highlights by pulling it through a cap. I learned from a college girl (hair stylist) how to highlight way back when & go to Sally's for all my supplies...I use Loreal color. Mix it up with developer & it works great for me. Highlights the same way, I buy the powder packets, mix with developer & that's it. Easy & costs about $12 per coloring. I only color now about every 4 months.

Hair is such an important part of us as women!

xo,
Rhoda

TinaTx said...

Love the haircut! Mine keeps getting shorter too. I have been going to the same person for haircuts for over 10 years - she has gone up a little in that time, but not too much. With tip, I pay her 35.00. About 3 times a year I go to someone else to have highlights put in - one because I like the way he does it, and two, because he only charges me 20.00.

Unknown said...

Love the hair-do, it looks great. I go to my hairdresser every five weeks and pay about $75 (including tip). This includes shampoo, color, cut, style, and eyebrow wax. I don't think that's too bad, it's really the only thing I "splurge" on for myself.

How nice that you may have helped influence that girl to decide to go to church. Maybe that was the reason that led you to go to that particular salon on that particular day. And, maybe there was a reason she was the one to cut your hair. Great story!

Alice said...

I love your new hair style. But you are so pretty that I can't imagine any cut looking bad on you.

willzmom said...

Love the new do! What a bonus to get a good hair cut and to encourage someone. Have a blessed Thanksgiving.

Wanda @ Just Vintage said...

The flippy do is really cute on you! I've never been able to do short. I've tried, but it just doesn't work on me. I go to Amy at Hair Reflections at the Summit. I pay more than I ever thought I would in my lifetime, even if I married Mel Gibson, but I really like the way she cuts and colors my hair and doggone it! I'm worth it!

I'm like you with that comfort zone. Not good at coming right out and witnessing. I do feel strongly, however, that this shop we're getting ready to open will somehow be my ministry. I don't know just how, but I can see how lots of different pieces have fallen into place. It's really exciting to think about.

ThreeGirlyGirls said...

I LOVE your hair! Super cute!! And you pose so nicely!! =)

Just out of curiosity is that a Blue Danube plate? I have the whole set and it looks just like mine. I love them! I have them displayed all over my home, they were my grandmothers, very special to me!

Simply Me Art said...

Love all the Goodies and the New Haircut is Simply Beautiful. You look very Sassy!!!

Debra from Bungalow said...

Rhoda, You look great in your new snazzy do! I'm glad I could give you that little bit of inspiration & courage. You even had a girl with blue hair, how brave is that!!

Isn't is a wonder how the Lord works through us. You just never know how what you say or do will affect another person. I'm so glad to have been a litle part of that.
Hugs & kisses too!
DebraK

Anonymous said...

Hair YIKES...

I am a natural blonde (very light) and have only been putting highlights in for a little over a year...the gray that is coming in is a white gray, kinda pretty, but such a different texture. I will not tell you what I spend (lots) but it looks so natural I love the way my gal does it.

I have been blessed with great hair....I get compliments all the time. But still I agonize over my "do". I like longer hair (on me) mine brushes my shoulders, but I know what you mean; when it gets beyond that it does feel like a mop !!!!

Nice post !!!!
Kathy :)

Anonymous said...

First of all, you do look pretty cute! Love all your poses! LOL! Here in Portland Oregon a haircut is at least $50, not including tip.

Good for you on being bold and inviting your hair stylist to church. Sometimes it just takes one person to invite another and to show enough love to reach out, to be bold for Jesus! You were His hands and feet that day.

xo,
Melissa

Kim @ Home Is Where The Heart Is said...

Dear Rhoda, It has been a little while since I've been to visit you (I'm so sorry about that) so I decided to come over and see what you've been up to. Great yard sale finds and your new hair cut is beautiful! It's very flattering.

Take care and stop over to see me some time soon!
Love, Kim

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

Your new do is so cute!!

I'm as cheap, err frugal, as the next girl, but I will always splurge on a good haircut. I think it's so worth it.

Kim @ Home Is Where The Heart Is said...

Oh, one more thing. I pay $35.00 for shampoo, color, cut, blow drying and styling. This is less than what my stylist shows on her price list, but I've been going to her for around 12 years so I think she gives her regulars a price break.

Sandi McBride said...

Now that's a nice haircut. I've got to call Miranda and get an appointment for mine...afraid I've left it to long to get it done by Thanksgiving!!! I've never been that concerned about my hair, really...I used to keep it short for safety's sake mainly...now I've let it grow out ...you know, you might drop in at the "parlor" and tell Ms Blue Streaks you sure missed her at church and maybe it will help motivate her! Have a little gift for you over at my place, hope you enjoy it.
hugs
Sandi

Cindy said...

I go to Supercuts also! I hate paying a lot of money on my hair! I also color my own hair at home.

I love all your garage sale finds!

Betty said...

Rhoda,
It's been awhile since I've had time to visit....love your 'do'.....very becoming.....I'm so blessed to live in a small community with a wonderful beauty shop.....a trim costs me all of $10.00...she's great at doing whatever I take a picture of....I've had 4 hair cutter friends to tell me that I have a great hair cut....

I read back several posts and like all you are doing and have done. Excited to see the office when you finish. I use hanging plates in every room....great yardsale finds...Betty

Andi said...

You look beautiful!!! Ms. Blue Streaks did a great job. Love the haircut!!!

Rosemary said...

Love your new do Rhoda. See you never know.
You got quite a lot of cute things for only $5. I spend far too much on my hair every month. Color, trim etc. I spend about $109 if it's color and a cut.
Have a good week too!
Rosemary

Sandi McBride said...

Rhoda, this wasn't an award, but a gift. You know I don't think Mama ever gave out a recipe voluntarily, and nothing I ever made tasted exactly like hers. I am pretty sure a nonvital, yet detectable ingredient was always left out...which is why this is so astounding to me...this is HER recipe, not one she wrote for someone else, but for HER use...that's the gift...a recipe that will be complete!

linda t said...

What a sweet story Rhoda!
My prayer is that I too, would take those opportunities when the Lord nudges, cuz I am always surprised that they are sooo receptive to my sharing and more than willing to open up to me.
But all too often I am too busy or preoccupied to "hear" the Lord.
Ok, I went to an actual salon for the first time EVER a couple years ago... I went to Cosmetology school 30 years ago (only worked in a salon one year) and have always cut my own hair with the help of my husband. But I decided to see what a $50.00 haircut looks like... not good. So I am back to having my husband and daughter helping me cut my own hair... much better! LOL!
You are tooo cute Rhoda!

Cottage Contessa said...

Very pretty Rhoda, I love it! I go to the hairdressers every 6-8 weeks too, and I get my regrowth done, shampoo, blow dry and a trim for $120 Australian dollars, which is $106 US. And that's going to the Aussie version of Supercuts called Price Cutters! We don't tip for anything in Australia.
Amanda (aka Cottage Contessa)

PAT said...

Hi Rhoda...I'm trying to visit my blogs a bit, this morning, before I dash off to an appointment. With the wedding, last Saturday and overnight guests and appointments, I'm meeting myself coming and going!!

I like your hair and the final garage sale finds of the season are wonderful!

Pat

Unknown said...

Cute, cute, cute! But then, you're such a gorgeous lady that you'd look good bald.

My my, you've done the garage sale thing successfully yet again. Bet you couldn't pull it off where I live. Our garage sales just aren't that caliber.

Happy turkey day!
Jacki

Maureen said...

Hey Rhodie, a big thumbs up on the new 'do! You always look great no matter what, but this is a nice change for you. I too try to find bargain salons because my hair just grows too darned fast! Great Yard Sale finds too. Are any of the photos in the book frame-worthy? What a deal!

Anonymous said...

Your hair is cute and soooo are you!! I hate paying a lot of money for hair..so I don't get mine done very often but the last place I went to..was just around the corner for me..and I paid like 180.00 for cut/color and style...yes you saw that right....it's a fancy place but no ones is ever in there and I just get to the point...I need it done..but my neighbor always has the cutest haircut and so instyle all the time..so she told me of another place and she only pays 65.00 for cut and color..so that's where I'm going next...for sure..yours is darling do

and I love that white creamy urn..you have the best yard sales...

Rebecca E. Parsons/Cre8Tiva said...

you go girl...great do...and great work for the Lord...happy thanksgiving...blessings, rebecca

Anonymous said...

Oh Rhoda, I am getting shovers over here. It was meant to be that you chose that place to get your hair cut! God opened your eyes to see past the blue streaks and look what happened - you got a great haircut and was able to talk to this young woman about God. A double whammy!

Love your haircut btw :)

Joy

Anonymous said...

Oh, btw, a good haricut here runs about $40.00. Supercuts probably about $20.00-$30.00. :)

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

I wanted to wish Your Family a very Blessed Thanksgiving. Mary

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhoda.....Your hair is so cute! I have had a version of the (flippy dippy do - that's my name for it) for the past 7 years I bet. Since the shag. All the hairdressers say my hair flips up naturally & said never let anyone cut it differently. It may go out of style though I think one of these years, then what? I have been driving to Jackson and it is expensive there. But the last time I got it done here...around $30 for a cut & blow-dry. In Jackson, it would $150 for a cut, high-light, & blowdry. Your blue streaks girl did a great job!! Hope she shows up at church!

Bonnie

Jill said...

I love your hair, Rhoda. I pay $75 for a haircut in Buckhead and then at least $190-$225 for color. I could own a second home with the amount of money I spend on my hair. A friend of mine gets her's cut at Great Clips and it looks great and she save a bundle. Maybe I'll get up the nerve (and have the good luck) like you did!

Susie Q said...

You look beautiful! I love your new do!
Salons are getting so pricey!

LOVE the new table you worked your magic upon! You have a real talent for that.

I think that God meant for you to be in Miss Blue Streaks chair on that day. It was just meant to happen this way!

Hugs,
Sue