Friday, November 16, 2007

It's Beginning to Look a Lot like Christmas

(Christmas tree, 2006, ceiling is not blue as it looks here, it's just white)

OK, so far it's only in my head, but I'm at least thinking about it...and pulling out pics from last year's Christmas decor. See, last year I was not working & had all the time in the world to drag those boxes down from the attic & get busy putting up Holiday cheer & festive decorations. And, boy did I have some fun. I always do...I just have to gear up for it.
(Foyer cloche, last year)

Right now, I have to say I'm not all that excited about climbing those stairs to the attic & facing those millions of plastic bins, only to drag it all out again. I love it when it's done though. Don't even mention taking it all down, that's a whole 'nother day of anxiety. But, my Christmas spirit will prevail & I'll once again deck the halls. I just have to. How about you? Are you dreading it or getting excited yet?

(Christmas 2006, above is a little glimpse of my Christmas village that I put in the little nook coming up the stairs. This year, I don't know if I'll get it out, still to be determined.) Mantel last year, all white and gold. I'd love to make some changes, so we will see where it takes me this year. I love to take pics from year to year, so I can remember what I did.
Diningroom buffet, lots of gold balls & I used mostly white & golds here too.
Larger shot of the buffet.
And, some pretty red balls in a box in the livingroom, with a strand of jewels strewn about. I'm ready to make some changes this year, so I'm getting lots of inspiration from magazines.

So, I guess it's normal to have a mix of dread & excitement about decorating for Christmas. I'd love to keep things simple & not stress over it, but I do love how it all looks when it's finished. I need a fairy to come in & help me get it all done. How about you? When do you decorate? I always get my stuff out Thanksgiving weekend & usually get it done in a few days. My schedule is busier this year, so I will just have to work on it as I can & maybe scale back a bit. I always say that!


Stumble Upon Toolbar

29 friends stopped by:

Unknown said...

The day after Thanksgiving we bring down the decorations and put up the tree. From then on, I continue to decorate! Change stuff around, add more (and it's getting overwhelming!). Need to learn how to edit better; but I just love decorating stuff so much!

Jacki

Rosemary said...

I am a day after Thanksgiving decorator.
I love the way your mantle looked.
Don't stress, just make it fun.
The worse part is putting it away when Christmas is over.
Have fun,
Rosemary

CIELO said...

Hi Rhoda... Your mantle is lovely. I haven't put out my Christmas decorations yet, that reminds me I better hurry... :)

Wishing you a lovely day and a wonderful weekend.

Love,


Cielo

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhoda....

I look forward to it. I start Dec. 1 and keep things up until little Christmas. I love to put on my holiday music start a fire and go to town.

I have a question real or fake Christmas Tree, I wonder how people feel on this subject ????

Right now my home is decorated for the Fall....I don't do Halloween (except the front porch for the ghosts and goblins collecting their loot on the 31st) I love the cornstalks and the scarecrows plus I love the color orange !!!

Looking forward to seeing your X-Mas decorations :)

Have a great week-end,
Kathy :)

Anonymous said...

I do less and less every year in terms of decorting! I just don't feel like putting all that stuff away. Now if someone else would do that part for me I'd deck my house out top to bottom! I'm starting to think about what I want to do - I want simple and natural.

Have a great weekend!

Manuela

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

I have the same mixed feelings. I work at a Grocery store it is so crazy this time of year it is very hard for me to get excited for the Holidays. Last year I moved my Christmas things down from the garage so at least it will be easier for me to get to this year. I will be looking forward to your pictures of this years Christmas
ginger

Maureen said...

Well, you know how much I love holiday decorating, but I do have to be in the mood, especially when it's time to dismantle after the holidays. I find when I've put it all away in an organized manner, it so helps me find stuff more easily when the mood strikes. Ours all comes up from the basement a bit at a time because I make such a big mess when I play! I look forward to seeing what you come up with this year. Having watched and shared holiday decorating with you for the past several years, I have no doubt your home will look as amazing as ever!

Kim said...

I ADORE Christmas and I put a tree in every single room of my home. I adore your blog and I check it several times a week. You really inspire me to live well. :) Thanks so much for sharing your home and yourself with us.

Anonymous said...

I hear you Rhoda - sometimes I drag a bit when I start to decorate for Christmas (usually bring the boxes up the day after Thanksgiving) but "get into it" once I get going and the spirit of the season takes hold of me with its' magic, and it always does. Just do what you can do - don't stress and it will look as BEAUTIFUL as it always does! ((hugs))

Kim

Heather said...

Hi Rhoda,
Haven't been by in a while; as usual you have been very busy. Everything looks beautiful and I'm looking forward to seeing this years decorations.
Heather

Wanda @ Just Vintage said...

It all looks so pretty! I had to skip decorating last year because the house was barely habitable from the remodeling. This year I'm gung ho, desperately trying to clean so I won't be decorating on top of mess and dust.

OhhMy Gifts & Things said...

What pretty decorations. The older I get the less I wasnt to drag out just to put away in a few weeks. Maybe some Christmas music will help this weekend!

Cottage Contessa said...

I feel just the same as you Rhoda, excitement and dread at the same time. I do love it once it's done, and I enjoy actually decorating, it's just getting it all out and then packing it all carefully away again. Drives me a little mental! lol Your decorations are very beautiful as usual!
Amanda (aka Cottage Contessa)

Diane said...

Hi Rhoda. Love all your decorations. I dread dragging out all that stuff :( Hope to get in the Christmas mood soon, lol. Diane

Nunnie's Attic said...

I say that I'm going to scale back every year too. And every year I drag it all out. But I have firmly resolved NOT to do that this year. Keep your fingers crossed.

And your decorations are beautiful. No wonder you put it all out. Oh and BTW, I love the picture of you and your hubby!

Love,
Julie

Unknown said...

Your home looks beautiful for the holidays! Post some pictures when you decorate this year!

~Becca~Bluebird Rose said...

Too funny; I wrote a post today entitled exactly the same as yours!!
Oh, I loved seeing your pretty Christmas decor pics!
I have begun, because it takes me sooooo long to decorate.
:)

Esther Sunday said...

How wonderfully festive over here! Hey, Ms. Rhoda, check out the results of the Gingerbread Man give away over at my place! Love, Esther

Essential Oil Premier University said...

Hi Rhoda, I get less and less enthused about it every year. I think because I'm getting older, don't have the energy, like I once did. . . and don't get any help!!

Anyways, I'm doing some decorating tomorrow. I'll have my hubby help me put up the tree (artificial and pre-lit), and I'll put the garland up on the bannister. Then I'll probably decorate the tree on Sunday after church.

I'm doing a little bit at a time each day. I like to have everything done BEFORE Thanksgiving because we go to the cottage for Thanksgiving weekend. When we return it's all done. I can then focus on entertaining and celebrating the "real meaning of CHRISTmas - minus the stress!"

Blessings,

Sher

Anonymous said...

I'm so busy this year helping other people decorate that I just don't have the energy or drive to do much around my house this year. I do know I want to keep it simple because I hate putting it all away!

I will probably not start until the week after Thanksgiving. I am helping someone else decorate two days after Thanksgiving so I probably just won't have time until then! Oh well, I'll come visit all my blogger friends to get myself pumped up to do my own! Maybe a little egg nog would help get me motivated!

xo,
Melissa

Justabeachkat said...

I'm dreading, I'm planning, I'm excited, I'm fearful, I'm overwhelmed, but all in all I can't wait to have it up so I can enjoy and celebrate. Soon....very soon.

Hugs!
Kat

Anonymous said...

Rhoda, everything is gorgeous!

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

This year I am scaling back!
It might be the warm weather~ but I just can't get in the mindset.

I guess I need to listen to Magic96!

Sandra Evertson said...

Every thing is so Beautiful!
Sandra Evertson

Becky Bunn said...

Your pictures are just beautiful. I'm sure this year you will do another great job.

Gina said...

I hear you! I go through the same thing, to decor a little or a lot, usually it depends on if I am traveling to my mothers house or not. You'll figure it out! And whatever you do you will do it with the beauty and skillfulness that you always do! Love your pretty photos.

Elle Jay Bee said...

I'm with you Rhoda,
As much as I love decorating for the holidays, I dread and despise putting it all away again...nobody seems to want to help me do it, either!!!

Your decorations are lovely!!

Linda xox

Anonymous said...

What beautiful pictures, so delightful.Thank You!

Blessings:)
Carol

Angela @ Cottage Magpie said...

So pretty! I always want to start the day after Thanksgiving, but in the last few years we've not been able to get to it until late. This year will probably be no different as I am trying to reno my living room, too! Yipes!
~Angela :-)