Do you remember this lamp I found last year at a yardsale for $5?? Well, it's been sitting around, waiting for me to get inspired to do something with it. And finally this week, the inspiration hit and I went with it. I have no idea what the age of this lamp is, I would say probably the 50's or 60's? Anyone want to guess? As much as I like drum shades, this one was a little TOO large, so I knew I needed to find something a little more proportional to the lamp, something just a little smaller.
So, I took it out, bent the arms until I had the circle sitting just where it needed to be to hit the lamp in the right spot. I wasn't sure how this little trick would work, but I figured for $2, I wouldn't be out much and it was worth a shot. Luckily, it worked! I ripped all the old binding seam off from the top and bottom, so I'd have a smooth shade to work with. The frame fit back in there tightly and I knew it would be fine as I added my new fabric on there. The only caution on bending a frame like this, it can start to lose it's round shape, so I had to work with this one a little to make sure it was still round & would fit back inside the shade. Then I went out to Hancock Fabrics to see what inspiration would hit me. I have long been attracted to these newly inspired damask fabrics that have been out the last few years and really wanted to use one somewhere, maybe a pillow or another spot. So, this was the perfect time to go for it, a lampshade was a great place to highlight this fabric. They even had a 40% off sale when I went, so got the fabric and trim on sale. You know how I like those sales! Fabric and trim cost $12 total. This fabric is so neat, it's a pretty oatmeal colored linen with black flocked damask pattern on it. Really perfect for covering an old lampshade, because it's thick enough to lay smooth and hide any imperfections. Easy to work with.
Now, I did get out my glue gun too and used it to hold down the fabric as I tucked in under on the top and bottom of the shade. It dries fast and really holds it in place. Used a little from the glue gun too on the back seams to keep them flat. Finally, I was ready for the trim to go on the top and bottom of the shade. This gives it a great finished look. I used my Fabri-Tac fabric glue on this. It's also a great glue to use for a project like this.
Ta-da!! Here's the finished lamp! I am SO proud of it. I think it looks like a million bucks now. Total cost = $19! You just can't beat that for a trash to treasure look.
I absolutely love this fabric. It's a perfect punch as you come in our frontdoor to draw the eye in.