Thursday, February 21, 2008

Antiquing in Alabama

Oh, the places I've been! A new friend from church took me to a wonderful antiques place in Pell City, which is outside Birmingham towards Atlanta. She's been there several times and told me all about how great it is with good prices and pretty pieces. She was SO right! David Tims Antiques is a wonderful place to find imported furniture from Belgium, England, and Argentina (of all places!). I'm not an antiques expert by any means, but I know what I like and I know I liked a lot of things there. David was written up in Southern Living magazine and has been selling antiques for over 30 years. And twice a month, they have antiques auctions, which I'd love to go to. We drove up and saw the shop which is housed in an old general store off the main road and I instantly knew I'd love it. I was right!

When you walk in the door, it's amazing all the antique furniture that is inside this quaint shop.
Nothing is marked with price tags, so you have to write down the numbers on the tag and then ask for prices. I was pleasantly surprised at how reasonable everything is. If I was in the market for any antique furniture for my home, you can bet this is where I'd go.
There is ornate things all the way down to primitive.
Many, many beautiful china cabinets and buffets.


Tiffany lamps and stained glass windows.
Big and small armoires.
Love these chairs.
View from the front door looking towards the old wooden staircase. Upstairs are oodles of oil paintings. They are pretty reasonably priced too. Doesn't it look like an old and quaint shop? The hardwoods creak when you walked.
We got prices on a few pieces. My friend was looking for a couple of things, so it was fun to find out how much some pieces were going for. This pretty armoire was $450. Very reasonable, I thought. You couldn't buy anything new that's close to this in character and quality.
Oil paintings and the prices on those weren't bad either.
View looking downstairs from the upstairs gallery.
And then down the street is the 2nd location, a big red barn that's filled with more things.
My friend was interested in this piece, but didn't get it the day we went. It was $650.
This little table was $125.
This pretty French glass cabinet was $850.
See anything you like? Yeah, me too!
Antique rugs
This was pretty bed and nightstands.
I loved this little table and it was $85. I just don't have a spot for it. Love the well worn top on it.

Corner cabinet was $285.
This is the scene outside the warehouse barn, right next door was horses & cows.
And this old house sits next to it, which they also own.
What a fun day of antiquing! Hope you enjoyed going along with us on our excursion through the backroads and off the beaten paths of Birmingham. If you live in this area, this is a must-see place. I'm having so much fun finding these new places to shop.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

26 friends stopped by:

Anonymous said...

Now that was a nice place. Usually when you find a shop like this there is some junk there also. this was so clean and setup nice. Love the outside also.
Glad you had a fun trip.

Kelly said...

Neat place - wish I lived in Alabama! :-)

PAT said...

Ok Rhoda, just how far is this place from St Louis? I "need" those two small tables and a couple other things. Do you think J and I could make a little road trip in the old pick up truck and pick up a few of these things...in a weekend??

I can't believe the great prices!! WOW. Beautiful things!
Pat

Judy said...

Rhoda: I love Pell City...my sister that lives in Talladega introduced me to that wonderful little town a few years ago. There are several places we've been to there but I can't remember their names. When I get back from my trip, I'll check with her and let you know so you can check them out next time you go to Pell City.

Happy Shopping!

Judy

Angela said...

Oh my goodness I would have spent aaaallll day in there :-). I do love going to Antique stores, Yard sales, Thirft stores, Flea markets, oh my... I feel the need to go out this weekend :-). I can not wait until the "endless yard sale" starts:-).
Have a wonderful day!!

Tara said...

wow-eye candy, and I am convinced all the good unfound antiques are in the South!

Deb said...

What a great place to go antiquing! We went to our favourite antique barn on Monday and I just love looking through all the pieces.

Michelle E. ~ Vintage Pastiche' said...

Rhoda everything looks so divine!! Nice selection of things!

*muah*
Michelle

Sandi McBride said...

I love the Bombay chest most of all...I'd love to have that and get Penny to do a Mosaic on the top surface. Pretty things you passed up on!!!
hugs
Sandi

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Oh, I just knew you girls would enjoy this excursion! It really is some beautiful furniture, makes me wish I had more room.

If you really want to look at more pretty things, click on the David Tims link & check out the auction goods for Friday's auction this week. Looks like some good stuff!!

Rhoda

tammi said...

Wow, what a great tour! You know, you southerners just have such great heritage and historical stuff!! Most of Canada is just too 'new' to have anything like that! I tell ya, if I'm ever heading your way, I'm going to make sure to ask you what are the best places to visit -- or just pick you up and bring you along!!

Frantic Home Cook said...

I soooo want that armoire. Thank you for the beautiful "dreamin'" tour!

Esther Sunday said...

What a fantastic collection of furniture! Every piece you would be looking for! Very nice. Love, Esther

Julie said...

It is fun to go shopping with you....and safe too ($$) ha ha..

Cottage Contessa said...

What a fabulous place, and so many gorgeous things! Thank you for the tour, it was wonderful!
Amanda (aka Cottage Contessa)

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

I haven't been to David Tim's in years~ It is a fun place to spend the day.

OKGardners said...

Sure looks like a fun day!

Betty in Oklahoma

Maureen said...

What a great place! Maybe next time I go to B'ham I'll stop off on the way. And, dear God please tell me you know what that green paint color is???? I need to know!

Unknown said...

What a building! It almost looks like an old west town — even inside it has an old west look. How heavenly to have access to such a treasure trove!

Hugs, KJ

Jen said...

First of all I love days like this...without my kids of course. Days when you can grab a soda and go. I love antique shopping....I could do it for hours. I look forward to the summer when my mom and I go and do this together.

cotedetexas said...

WOW!!!! I love those armoires, especially the single one that your friend liked. the prices look really good too.

Joni

Mary said...

What a fun trip! Thanks so much for taking us along, Rhoda!

Have a wonderful weekend!
xoxo,
Mary

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

Thank-you for a most enjoyable trip.....Blessings

Carrie said...

Yes, I certainly enjoyed this excursion. Your photos and captions provide close-up views of the place.

Mia said...

After surfing here I now know I have to visit Alabama - the thing they say about southern hospitality must be thrue!

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

I could spend days in a place like that! Especially with some money in my wallet! How much fun.