Sunday, March 9, 2008

Comfort Soup: White Chicken Chili

I'm not always the best at acknowledging my awards, so THANK YOU, Kat for this one! You're such a sweet and positive friend! Have fun on that vacation.
********************************************
And Willzmom tagged me for a little 6-word memoir game awhile back, so I'm going to use it with my recipe. I'm really bad at passing these on, so please forgive me for not following the rules...again!


Comfort food is best in Winter...........So, with that in mind, here's a yummy soup recipe that I've seen out there in different forms, but you may not have tried it yet. I got this one from a friend here in town. It's really good on these cold winter days. We both love this one.


Blue Ribbon White Chicken Chili


1-2 TBL olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
2 fresh jalapeno peppers - seeded & chopped
4 cloves fresh garlic - minced or pressed
1/4 cup flour
1 and 1/2 tsp. ground white pepper
1 and 1/2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. salt
1 (4 oz) can sliced green chilies, drained
2 (15 oz) cans white kidney beans, cannellini beans or great northern beans, drained
3 cups chicken broth (I just use 3 cans)
3-4 cooked and shredded chicken breasts

Top with shredded Monterey jack cheese, if desired.


Heat oil over medium/low heat in large pot. Add onions & saute until soft. Stir in jalapenos & garlic & saute one minute. Add flour, pepper, cumin, and salt. Stir to combine mixture well. Add chicken broth & green chilies and heat to boiling, stirring constantly until thickened. Remove mixture from heat & add shredded chicken and beans. Reheat to boiling and simmer for 15 minutes. Serve with toppings of shredded cheese and sour cream. Great with tortilla chips.


I cooked the 3 chicken breasts in the crockpot on low for about 4 hours. Added about 1/4 cup water, a little seasoning salt on top & let them cook all morning. The chicken will fall apart, ready to shred & put in the soup. Easy way to cook the chicken ahead of time.


Buon Appetito!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

21 friends stopped by:

PAT said...

This is one of our favorite soups. We love ordering it at Lewis and Clark's Restaurant in historic St Charles (MO). Daughter "K" makes White Chicken Chili from their recipe. Your recipe sounds similar. I like how you used the 6 word memoir, within your post.

KJ tagged me for the 6 word memoir. I tied it into the night J and I met.

Pat

Sandi McBride said...

That looks so good...if I have it all think that I just found supper!
hugs
Sandi

OKGardners said...

Yum! This sounds great!

Betty in Oklahoma

ThreeGirlyGirls said...

That looks so yummy! I'll have to give it a try!

Sandy said...

Sounds delic, Rhoda!

Nan said...

You can't beat soup or chili on a cold day. I have a similar recipe and we just love it.
Hugs,
Nan

Cottage Contessa said...

Congratulations on your award sweetie, and I love the 6 word memoir. That soup looks really good, and with Winter just around the corner for me, I will enjoy serving this one up for my family very soon. Hope you have a wonderful week!
Amanda (aka Cottage Contessa)

Forgetfulone said...

Thanks for coming by my blog! That recipe sounds fabulous. I like the idea about cooking the chicken in the crock pot. I guess it really does come out tender that way.

Southern Heart said...

This one sounds delicious...we love soups, too!

Maureen said...

We adore White Chicken Chili. I have an winning recipe that a neighbor won a contest with, and it's close to yours! Yum! Neat memoir too!

Anonymous said...

I've tasted several versions of white chicken chili but yours looks the best by far...I can't wait to make a kettle especially since it's so cold in MN.

Thank you Rhoda for sharing!

NUM-O,
Kathi :)

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

Yum!! I LOVE white chili.

I'm digging your new green zebra stripes too! Too cute.

Rosemary said...

Congrats on your award Rhoda!
Thanks for the yummy recipe.
Rosemary

Unknown said...

I love white chicken chili but have never made it myself only ordered it at restaurants. This sounds easy enough. Thanks and did you put up a new background on your blog. It looks great Rhoda. Have a wonderful week.

tammi said...

Mmmmmmm, yum!! Since we've still got several weeks of winter left, I'll easily have a reason to try this yet - haha!

Donna said...

Oh yummy! That sounds so good!
Donna

Mike Golch said...

Hi Rhoda,Just came to visit from Jenn's site dustbunnyhostage.Like your site and you can bet I'll be back to visit again.

willzmom said...

I do love White Chili and for several years now I prefer it over the tomatoe based chili. I'm going to compare your recipe with the one I use, thanks for sharing it.

Jen said...

We make this quite a bit...I love it..so comforting.

Anita K. said...

Thanks for the recipe. I made the soup this weekend and it was wonderful!!

Nancy Hood said...

I make this for my family and add a warmed flour tortilla that I settle into a deep soup bowl first! Scatter a bit of cheddar cheese on the bottom, a heaping ladle of soup, and top with a dollop of sour cream and shallots! Yum!!! especially when the tortilla soaks up the soup!!