Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Lunch and Drive-bys in Homewood

Since we are now both at home again, my sweet hubby decided that we should do a date lunch every week. I think that's a great idea. We pick a spot, sometimes close to home and sometimes further away and have a lunch date to catch up with each other. One day we went for a mid-morning breakfast to IHOP. This day we decided on a cute little Greek place in Homewood that we've been to before called Nabeel's. Great food, good ambience. We parked here and walked around the corner. This is a music shop that does repairs on musical instruments.
And look what is in the window...his 2 doggies taking a snooze. At first I thought they were stuffed, but at second glance, they're just napping. So cute! They didn't even budge when I took their picture outside the window.
Nabeel's Cafe...great little neighborhood place for lunch.
Cute ambience about it. It's owned by a Greek family and has been around a few years now.
The menu.

Bruschetta for an appetizer.
I got the grilled grouper sandwich. I can hardly pass up grouper sandwiches EVER! This one was delish. With a side of sweet potato fries...oh man!
Hubby gazing out the window.
Since he was driving, on the way back home, we went tooling through some side streets and he stopped to let me take pics. This area of town is Homewood, which I've told you about before. I just love all the architectural styles represented here.
I think I could live in any one of these beautiful homes.
Gorgeous! Spanish style stucco.
Not sure the style of this red one.
Love this quaint white cottage.
Another Mediterrean beauty. Hope you enjoyed lunch out and the drive-bys too! I just love these older parts of our city.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

32 friends stopped by:

Rosie's Whimsy said...

What a great idea to have a "date" lunch! He sounds like a sweetie.....and the food.....yum!

I love the Mediterranean style homes. I don't get to see many here in PA.....of course, when someone does build one here, it looks a bit out of place!

Have a terrific Tuesday! :-) Rosie

Denise said...

Oh how neat! Looks like a visit to Greece for the day with all the architecture and food!

I'm anxious to try your bookshelf idea on a bookcase I have - so inspiring! thank you for sharing!

Thank you for your sweet comment on my blog.

violetlady said...

I would love to see the inside of that red house. Do you think they would let you in just to take some pictures? LOL!!
A lunch date each week. I am telling my husband about this.

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

Good for you on the dates! My hubby and I often have coffee dates when life is busy!

Love the drive-bys (as you know), it is always fun to see houses that you just don't see in your own neck of the woods! Those are some lovely homes!

Happy day!
Melissa

Bebe said...

Hi Rhoda,

Loved going on your lunch "date" with you and your hubby! The Greek food looked delicious ~ feta cheese is one of my favorites!

Southern Hugs,
Bebe :)

Anonymous said...

OHHH glad you and your hubby had a nice lunch...it is so nice to stop and smell the roses now and again.

Grouper never had it..don't know if I even like the name lol !! The bruschetta looks amazing I just love feta !!!

Sunday mornings when hubby and I go for coffee we go and look at houses too, we just LOVE to do that.

Fun post,
Kathy :)

Rhondi said...

Hi Rhoda Thanks for taking us along for your lunch date. Hope your hubby didn't mind all us girls trailing along :) The food looks yummy good.
Those homes are beautiful, such different type of architecture than I've been used to. I could live in any of them! I see why you like that neighborhood. Enjoy the day. Rhondi xo

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

How fun to have a lunch date!! Loved the drive by...my fav was the white cottage...
Penny
p.s. the lasagna roll ups are really fast and easy to make. Alot faster than regular lasagna...really :-)

Southern Heart said...

That is a nice tradition for you and your DH...and I loved the houses! Sounds like such a fun day~

Jenn Thorson said...

Hi, Rhoda! Sounds like you're doing well, I'd just had to come see. Thanks for, um, taking us all to lunch with you. I'm loving those sweet potato fries-- yum! Take care!
-Jenn

Skin Care Girl said...

Hello!
Love and Style and Love Your Blog!
I must get my blog redesigned after visiting all these fantastic mom's during the Ultimate Blog Party!

Have a wonderful day!
Party ON!:)

Anonymous said...

Neat. Brian and I have started finding things to do together and usually go eat after. It truley helps.
Love the homes.

Painted Pink Pot said...

Your sweet, thanks so much for checking out my blog I am still trying to get the hang of it. Please check back soon.....Stacy

Kelly said...

Love all those homes.........and the grouper sandwich looks delicious!

Oliver's said...

I just found your blog this morning. I love your style. I too am a new decorator. I will be stopping by often...love your blog! Paula

ThreeGirlyGirls said...

Looks like SO much fun!! How great is that! I loved all your pictures! I felt like I was there too!! =)

Katrina Chambers said...

Looks like you had a lovely lunch-date. The food looked scrummy!!

Essential Oil Premier University said...

Hi Rhoda, thanks for the restaurant review and the home tour. I felt like I was right there with you. My hubby works from home on Fridays and we do the same thing. It's a nice way to catch up on things. . .just the two of us, without distractions (kids, phones, doorbells).

Rhoda, if you get a chance, could you e-mail instructions on how to change my background in blogger? I notice you change yours every so often and I'm getting tired of my standard background and would like to give it a try too. Thanks.

Blessings,

Sher

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

The building is pretty but I'm more interested in the sandwich. haha! I loooove a good sandwich and fries.

What a handsome hubby you have too!

Susie Q said...

I love that white cottage!! Such pretty houses all.
The cafe looks fun and that food...yum!! Date afternoons and nights are always fun!!

Hugs to you sweet Rhoda,
Sue

Anonymous said...

The Spanish styles look 30's & 40's California. I don't associate that look with the South. It's very surprising to me.

~elaine~
roz_etta@yahoo.com

Beth Leintz said...

My husband and I did something similiar a few years ago- the newspaper did reviews of unusual foreign restaurants- not just Chinese, Mexican and Italian- and we decided to try a couple new ones every month for lunch. We found some great places we never would have tried otherwise.

Love your "drive by" shots- beautiful homes

MMM said...

I love Nabeels! One of my favorite spots in Bham.

linda t said...

Too funny Rhoda! My husband and I just had a "date lunch" and I just posted about it!!
You guys are too cute!

Unknown said...

Looks like a fun day! I love looking at homes like this, it's so much fun! Thanks for the tour.

Rosemary said...

I did Rhoda!!
What a fun idea!!
The food looks delish, and the homes are just as delish!!
Rosemary

Julie said...

Oh - those homes are so beautiful! I saw some beauties on my trip to the hill country (for the horse show)- but because I was alone and driving, I could not just stop to get photos..without putting myself and others in danger...

Unknown said...

wow they are all so pretty. LOoks like you two had a nice lunch!

Unknown said...

Oh Mrs. Rhoda, you never disappoint! I love the houses! My fav is the white cottage (of course)! And those grouper sandwiches... yum to the highest. I just enjoyed one of those myself this past weekend while visiting my sister down in Tampa. So good!

Those puppy dogs remind me of this super cute flower shop/junk store I visit from time-to-time. They have a big, fat Garfield looking cat that lives there. Kitty doesn't like salesman and can seem to pick them out. Adds character to any store!

Anonymous said...

Rhoda, Your lunch looks delicious, I always try to go to Mom and Pop local places, especially when I travel. Support the little guy!

Thanks for the house tour, love all the different style homes. My favorite pic was the doggies in the window...great shot!

Be sure to share your weekly "lunch dates" with us. It's fun to see "Southern food in Southern places"!

Esther Sunday said...

Lovely homes, definately love the white cottage. Your husband is such a sweetheart - tell him that we ladies appreciate great guys like this! Love, Esther

Catherine said...

so fun to see some of these houses. I grew up nearby and had friends that lived on Bonita drive so I am very familiar with these homes. Thanks for sharing.