Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Repaired Urn and Painted Mirror

I think I got this pretty urn several years ago at one of my favorite spots in Atlanta, House Parts, but don't really remember how much it was, probably $5 or so, since the handle was broken. I used it on top of a high shelf in my other house, but always thought I'd repair the handle eventually. I've never let a little thing like a broken handle stop me from buying something.
It's a large urn, about 18" tall and since I'm not all that crazy about the gold on it, decided it would be a good piece to paint white & use it in my diningroom. So, I bought some of that modeling clay at Hobby Lobby that air dries. Neat stuff! It worked great. I molded it by hand & tried to match the other handle as best I could. Let it dry for a good 2 days and then it was ready to paint.
This is just a can of creamy white paint from Lowes that I had on hand. Painted it with 2 coats of paint and it was as good as new. Got this mirror for my diningroom at Tuesday AM several years ago and I've enjoyed it for a long time, but decided that with my new light fixture in the DR, that I should change the finish on this mirror to a little darker tone. So, I used my Sophisticated Finishes and painted Blackened Bronze over the whole thing, then went back over & highlighted the raised areas with Blonde Bronze with a sea sponge. You can get these craft paints at Michaels. Use the 40% off coupon! You use a paint brush or sponge with them.
So, here's the diningroom with the newly painted mirror and the repaired urn sitting front and center. A fresh new arrangement for Spring.
Filled with some dried hydrangeas from my mom's garden and mine last year, I love how it looks. I added some pretty white marble stones that I picked up from Tuesday Morning and it's sitting on a silver tray.One new handle
Add some seashells for a fresh new look.
And the diningroom is ready for spring. I'm having fun with my new camera trying out all sort of new things, like not using the flash.

Ahhhh, nothing better than a finished project.

Just a little update on my decorating business venture. I'm still working on getting some new clients and that is going to be the biggest challenge, marketing myself. I've got some ideas on that and will keep moving ahead with it all. I knew this first year would be a learning experience and I think once I get some clients, it will grow with word of mouth. Thought you'd like to know how it's going.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

51 friends stopped by:

Free Art Printables said...

That handle looks great! What a clever idea. I love how your side board looks too.
Jen R

Anonymous said...

Looks great Rhoda, I have a mirror and that's just what she needs. I can't find the 40% off coupon were you offering or mentioning there was one?

The first year in any start up is tough, hang in there. I am guessing with the economy being what it is it may be a little tougher.

Hope you had a nice Easter, we sure did !!

Kathy :)

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hey, Kathy, Michaels usually runs 40% off coupons in and ad in the Sunday paper & I imagine that's true in all cities that have Michaels. I just checked online & it looks like they run their weekly ad online too, you put in your zip code & it will tell you if there is an ad that week. I did find out that you can ask for the discount at the register (only if they have a coupon out that week) and they will let you sign for it & get the discount. So ask if they have a coupon out that week when you go to Michaels if you don't have a coupon from the paper!

Rhoda

The Tomball Three said...

WOW! I love projects too. I love salvaging something and keeping it from the dumpster!

Also, on the business - free advertising on Craigslist!

CIELO said...

Oh Rhoda what a lovely job you've done! I didn't know you could mend things like that... but look at what you've done! I'm really impressed. Your vignette with the mirror (lovely) and the mended urn is just beautiful....

Thank you for sharing your lovely home with us...

Have a great day

cielo

Mrs. Jones said...

Rhoda, that is amazing! I love how you saved the urn.

To market your business, you might try finding some local publications like a little mom magazine, and offer to write an article.

Good luck. I know your business will pick up speed, because you are a giving person and that will come back to you.

~Heather

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

You are so clever to fix that handle with clay! It turned out great.

It looks beautiful around there!

Oh, yes, the first year is most often spent setting up the business with few to no clients!


Fortunately, I have had quite a few clients already this year, three of which I am working with right now (all at the same time!) to completely start over with all of their furnishings, starting in their living rooms. Big jobs!

Things will pick up for you as people see you've been in business for awhile or news of your availability travels. You can donate gift certificates to auctions to jump start things as well, that seems to work well for people.

Good work!

happy day,
Melissa

Bunny McCoy said...

How clever! I'm enjoying this new blog I've found.

Michele

Anonymous said...

Thanks for showing us your projects. You did a wonderful job, and your dining room looks great.

I love the pictures of the mirror reflections.

Good luck on your new adventure. Hang in there, I'm sure the word will get around.

Sandy said...

Beautiful finished product Rhoda! You must really be enjoying being back at home :)
Happy Spring!

Anonymous said...

You are so talented. Love the urn and the mirror. Great job.

Essential Oil Premier University said...

I've used plumbers putty to repairs things like the urn too. Plumber's putty is also waterproof so keep that in mind for future projects. You can get it in the plumbing aisle at Lowes/Home Depot.

Stunning job on your mirror. Just stunning. . . along with your beautiful home :)

Blessings,

Sher

Cottage Dreaming said...

I so enjoy your blog. The sideboard is beautiful. The white urn turned out fantastic and the seashells give it a natural beauty. My favorite view is the looking through the updated mirror into your stunning home. You have a amazing talent and clients will be privileged to have you work for them. Good Luck.
Heather

Anonymous said...

Absolutely beautiful!
How talented you are to be able to do that so well!
You have a wonderful blog!
Wishing you a blessed day!

Michelle said...

Rhoda ~ Everything is just beautiful and I just love looking at all of your home decor pictures! Thanks for the update on your business ~ I was actually going to e-mail you to see how it was coming along :) You've got talent, girl and I'm sure you'll be quite busy before too long! (I'll be praying for ya, ok?!)

Have a lovely day, Rhoda!

Shirlee said...

Love what you did to the mirror. I seem to be drawn to the blackened bronze myself these days.
All your "whites" look so pretty against the red walls. I've been collecting white pieces when out thrifting but I don't have as many as you have. It's hit and miss, but pretty exciting when I find a good one.
Have a great day! :)

blessings said...

How cool! I've done that with paintings (if I needed two but could only afford one) but I never thought about doing some thing like that with an urn. Great idea! And it looks like that living room is to die for (judging by the peek in the mirror)!! Have a lovely Wednesday. Blessings... Polly

Debra from Bungalow said...

Painting the urn white was sheer genius!!! Looks great, Hugs, DebraK

Adrienne said...

The mirror and the urn turned out fantastic! They look like they've always been that way. Your dining room looks so inviting. Wish I lived close enough to stop by and chat. ~Adrienne~

Tonja said...

Great job! It looks great! Don't you love to fix something and have it look better than when you started! The mantle looks perfect!

Anonymous said...

Great job repairing the handle on the urn, and I like its new color. I really like the new mirror color, too. The new arrangement looks nice!
Joy

PAT said...

Great job with the urn and the mirror, Rhoda! I'll have to remember how you did the handle on the urn. Your sideboard looks beautiful!

Pat

Mrs. B said...

Wow, the urn and mirror look wonderful! I'm going to have to get some of that bronze paint, but I don't get those regular 40% off coupons! Your dining room looks beautiful, great color combinations. And the pictures with the new camera look great!

Nancy Hood said...

I could live in your house :) and I really like what you did with the mirror!!

Ruey said...

ooooooooh, that mirror just refelects all the lusciousness of this room...so pretty!
xxxooo Ruth

Donna said...

Rhoda, your projects turned out absolutely gorgeous! And your home looks so beautiful!
Hugs,
Donna

Unknown said...

looks great!

paperjunk-lc said...

Your picture are great! Props for the free form handle...well done.
All the white looks terrific together.

My husband started his own business a year and a half ago. It's been a little tight but so worth it!

Rosemary said...

Wow Rhoda, the urn looks great!!
You did a wonderful job, and the mirror is so pretty too. The whole vignette looks perfect.
You are so clever!!
Have a nice night,
Rosemary

Simply Me Art said...

Looks just Gorgeous. You amaze me Rhoda you really have such style. Love everything. The dried Hydrangea are beautiful in the urn also. Jamie

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

You are amazing!!! Have a beatuiful night!!!!

Sandi McBride said...

So, a decorator AND you repairer broken beauties...who knew? I love the look of the new finish on the mirror...
Sandi

Sheila said...

Rhoda you are soo talented! I love the urn and the mirror It looks fabulous! Hang in there you have so much talent and I know things will pick up! I agree with the person who suggested the gift cert. and donations. It is such a good way to advertise without spending anything other than your time.

Rue said...

That turned out gorgeous Rhoda. I can't believe you were able to fix the handle! Completely amazing :)

Thank you for the kitchen complements. I really admire you and your work, so it means a lot to me. Good luck in your business adventure. I know you'll be a hit :)

Have a wonderful day,
Rue :)

The Nester said...

I am totally calling it Tuesday AM from now on!!!

Love the idea of repairing the handle and painting it white--yes, yes, a million times yes!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhoda,

What a great idea you did with that handle. It's so funy because I just saw an urn at my fav local thrift store and I left it there because the handle was broken!

You are too clever! :)

Maureen said...

Love how you got a handle on that project...could not resist a pun! Glad you are turning off that flash too- natural light is a good thing. Flash is not always the enemy though when it's used properly-those on-camera auto flashes are harsh. I will have to try the blackened bronze finish- love that!

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

I just love the new looks of the repaired and painted urn and the painted mirror. You whole room looks great! I loved seeing all the reflections in the mirror.
Hugs,
Penny

Christy said...

What a beautiful job! You would never know that urn had a broken handle. The display of items on the sideboard look wonderful and really says "spring" to me.

Andi said...

Rhoda, you did an amazing job on that Urn! I would have never even attempted to try and fix that broken handle and you made it look perfect! Aren't you the talented one. The mirror looks fantastic too!

Beaufort Belle said...

Rhoda, the urn looks absolutely fabulous. I need to update a mirror I have now that I have a bronze with silver highlights light fixture going in. I will have to write down what you used and pick some up next time I am at Michaels or AC Moore. You have the best ideas and your dining room looks beautiful.

Don't worry about your business...word of mouth will spread as well as here on the web as you are very talented!!

Best wishes,
Jennifer

Cottage Dreaming said...

Rhonda,
Thanks for your nice comments on my chairs. I am really enjoying them. Gotta love a bargain.
Heather

Mary said...

Oh Rhoda, how wonderful it all looks! The dining room is beautiful, and your photos are great! I love the ones of the room reflected in the mirror.

I'm sure as soon as a few people see your beautiful rooms, your business will really take off!
xoxo,
Mary

Justabeachkat said...

Hi Rhoda

, it seems f-o-r-e-v-e-r since I've been able to visit you. You've been very very busy (as usual) and I've enjoyed each and every post I've missed. And the photos too. I always enjoy seeing your projects and the great ideas you have.

We had a ball on our California trip, but it's always nice to return home. I'm still gradually catching up on things around here. (Just in time before company comes next week...our daughter and my Mom and Aunt.)

Hugs!
Kat

Vonda said...

Girl you are just as creative as can be! You have got such a great eye for all this decorating...now I would not have even bought the urn because I would have had a hard time imagining I could have fixed the thing. I need to start shopping differently. And girl you just wait you're gonna have folks beating down your door soon with needing help decorating.

Unknown said...

WOW! What an amazing job on that set up! I love it! The white looks so elegant and stands out so nicely against the warmer red tone of the paint on the wall. Very elegant too!

Katrina Chambers said...

That mirror is insanely gorgeous! I am green with envy, I LOVE it!!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, you're amazing! Fixing that handle with the clay is so smart! It all looks really pretty and your camera takes such clear photos! Your sideboard is just gorgeous!

Manuela

Anonymous said...

it is all beautiful,but I love the bunny on the basket.

dana's design studio said...

Wow, amazing surgery on the urn. Photos and new banner are stunning.

Dana

Anonymous said...

Kymber sent me over.She's right.You do have the answer to most anything...Ann