Friday, March 28, 2008

Southwest Georgia Pound Cake

I decided to make strawberry shortcake for Easter and searched online at the Food Network for a pound cake recipe. I had some old cookbooks from my dad's church that I grew up in, but most of them called for Crisco and I'm just not a Crisco baker (sorry mom!). In fact, the one little can of Crisco I had in the pantry smelled rancid, so I had to throw it out. Do you cook with Crisco?? I grew up seeing Crisco in the pantry, but I just don't use it.

So, this one looked like it would be good....and oh my, is it ever! Do not pay attention to all the butter and sugar. If you are making pound cake, you just can't worry about the calories. It's a special treat after all.

Here's the link from Food Network and it's a Paula Deen recipe, so you know it's full of butter and totally delicious. The woman loves butter! You can click on the printable version and it prints out like a recipe card.

Southwest Georgia Pound Cake It has that crispy outside crust when it comes out of the oven.
With strawberries and whipped cream, it's sinfully delicious. The family loved it. Enjoy!!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

34 friends stopped by:

PAT said...

It looks delish, Rhoda. Since it's from Paula, you know it's decadently delish!!

I don't cook with crisco, generally. However, once in awhile I crave pan fried chicken like granny made, when I was growing up! Then I'll buy a little can of crisco. I melt some of it in the big iron skillet and add a stick of real butter. O my goodness...the best fried chicken!! Can't do that often, but o'my what a treat! Lard is another shortening that was used a lot, in the old days. We had an older friend who made the most flaky pie crusts, using lard! Those were the days! uh huh!

Pat

Vonda said...

Oh my word, Rhoda...the pound cake looks awesome! I don't use Crisco either but I remember the days when my Mama and Grandmother did too. But I will always use BUTTER...Paula Deen has lots of great recipes and doggone on it every single one of them call for a STICK of Butter. ;) Hope you have a great weekend! -V

Anonymous said...

Oh, Rhoda. That looks absolutely divine. Pound cakes are my favorite of all baked goods.

No, I don't use Crisco either. The same thing happened to me. I once had one of those really small cans in my pantry, and it went bad.

And, in response to good old fried chicken, I always thought my grandmother's was the best - She used Wesson oil. And, my mother-in-law made the best biscuits - she used lard. Long gone are those days, and the goodness that was with them.

willzmom said...

That looks so good Rhoda! My favorite pound cake is a coconut one and it's such a decadent splurge ones a year. How can such a simple cake be SOOOOOO good?

I have friends who say that a pie crust isn't a good pie crust without crisco. I don't use it either, but my husband uses it to season cast iron cookware.

Deb said...

Hi Rhoda, your pound cake looks delicious. I must confess that being an Alabama girl myself, I have not gotten the cake baking down to a science but you have insired me to try once more. Deb

Anonymous said...

I am more of a savory than sweet person. However, when I want something sweet, I want something decadent & I think this cake would work. Glenda/MidSouth

Painted Pink Pot said...

Yummy.......Looks so delicious.

Unknown said...

I love Paula Dean! Everything she makes starts with a stick or pound of butter! The other day she was making a shrimp po-boy that was to die for! Yummy!!

Anonymous said...

OMG Rhoda, that looks as pretty as a picture....it happens to be one of my favorites...(tarimsu being my all time favorite) that will definitely be a big hit at this casa.

Thanks for this post,
Have a wonderful week-end (any yardsales in your future)

Kathy :)

Unknown said...

that looks fantabulous! I want some,lol!

Anonymous said...

Rhoda, I just made the decision this morning to get control of my sweet eating and lose weight...ugh...this looks so delicious! I'm going to Savannah in May - hopefully we will have the opportunity to eat at Paula's restaurant. No dieting that day. hahaha.. Lucky family of yours!!! :)Susan

Kristi said...

That looks delectable! I will have to keep that one in mind for hubby's birthday coming up in April! I love to bake and it will be a great excuse.

I must admit I will use shortening every once in a while, usually around Christmas.

Cottage Dreaming said...

I am drooling. I love pound cake. Look how perfectly golden it is. Yummy. I do not use Crisco but every once in awhile on mt great grandmas cut out cookies. Totally different taste...Now I need something sweet, Yikes
Heather

Meredith said...

I do keep a small can of Crisco in the fridge for just such recipes.

I rarely if ever use it, but there are a couple of family cakes for which it is a must.

Wonderful looking dessert!

Unknown said...

OH, SIGN ME UP!!!!!!

This looks too good!

Rhoda... I've posted on a THANK-YOU LETTER PROJECT that you might be interested in. 100 Thank You Letters are being compiled for a book. I thought you might be interested.

Hugs, KJ

Michelle said...

Yum, yum, yum - I'm a sucker for desserts and this one looks absolutely delicious! I'll definitely have to give this recipe a try :)

Have a beautiful weekend!

Charlotte said...

Oh my goodness. I think I gained five pounds just looking at these pictures. Yum Yum.
Have a great weekend.

Donna said...

Oh wow! It looks sinfully delicious. My mother always cooked and baked with Crisco, I don't like using it either. I may have to try your recipe (or Paula's recipe).
Yum Yum!
Hugs,
Donna

martha said...

Love your new look. It's very crisp, but delicously detailed. Congratulations!

Free Art Printables said...

Rhoda, that looks great and I love your new header! Jen r

Anonymous said...

Rhoda, I love your new banner! The cake looks sinfully rich and I don't cook with Crisco either, the only exception is pie crust.
Did you know that buttercream that you find in bakeries is made of Crisco? No wonder I prefer whipped cream.
I hope you hit some yard sales tomorrow.

Unknown said...

Oh yum! My mouth is watering just looking at that strawberry shortcake.

Mary said...

Oh Lord, my mouth is watering That looks amazing. If it weren't 11:40pm, I'd be at the store getting the stuff to make that puppy right now. :)
xoxo,
Mary

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

You are so right about the crisco. I haven't used it in years! Just the thought...Blech
I noticed the new photos in your banner. Beautiful.
Happy spring!

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

Wanted to let you know I popped in earlier got the recipe and it is in the oven baking as we speak. LOL.....Thanks... Mary

Justabeachkat said...

I grew up with Crisco in the house, but I honestly can't remember having it in my house in years and years! I haven't even thought about it in forever. The cake looks yummy and if it's a Paula Deen recipe then you know three things for sure - it has lots of butter, it's good and it's southern. LOL

Hugs!
Kat

Sandy McTier Designs said...

Oh Yum! I'm gonna have to make that for after sunday dinner tomorrow.
Have a wonderful weekend.
Blessings,
Sandy :)
PS Loved your repair job on the urn in the previous post!

Mrs. B said...

Rhoda, I just love your new banner photos! They look really great.

That cake looks so yummy! I usually like Paula Dean's recipes so I may have to try that one out! My mom baked quite a bit and she used both Crisco and butter. Mostly, I remember her using lots of Crisco for greasing pans.

Nadine said...

Yum, yum. That cake looks so very good. I tell you what you can't ever go wrong with butter. It's better with butter.

Sandi McBride said...

Okay Rhoda, it's 12:19 am and here I am going through the cupboards to see if I have everything for this cake...and you know what, I did...CRISCO????? I remember once a friend made a cake and turns out the icing had crisco in it...like I couldn't tell!!!! No no, no crisco...that is the most beautiful cake!!!
hugs
Sandi

Rue said...

Hi Rhoda :)

Oh my, that looks delicious! My grandma Bonnie (Texas native) used to let me help her make pound cake from scratch everytime we came to visit her. I was the sifter ;) I'll have to try this recipe because sadly I can't find hers. I'm sure it's fantastic since it's from Paula :)

My one story about Crisco is that I always used to ask if I could have a spoon of it to try it because it looked like frosting and my mom always said no. Well, one time alone in the kitchen at last, I opened it up (thinking I was sneaky) and took a big ol' bite out of it. It is the worst tasting thing I have ever eaten in my life. I should have listened to her LOL

Have a great day tomorrow and thank you for the memories,
rue :)

Rue said...

Hi Rhoda :)

I have something for you over at my blog.

rue

Southern Heart said...

Yum, yum, yum (how am I ever going to diet? :)

Totallyscrappy said...

Don't suppose there are any leftovers???