Monday, March 3, 2008

Spice It Up!

Does your spice cabinet look like this? I use spices all the time in cooking and have collected quite a few over the years. They are not completely neat and organized, but at least they are labeled and on a tiered rack. Do you recognize the Tupperware spice containers from back in the 80's? Yes, mauve was king.
One thing I've discovered is that Whole Foods sells spices in bulk....really CHEAP! I stock up on these bulk containers and then refill my smaller bottles. Each of these containers were either 99 cents or $1.09, to that's quite a cost effective way to buy spices.
I buy dried basil, oregano, red pepper flakes, Herbs de provence, Cajun seasoning, black pepper, cinnamon and they have a whole lot more. Just thought I'd pass along this little tip for you in case you didn't know. I heard you are supposed to throw out your spices after a year, but I never do. That seems a little wasteful to me, but I suppose they do lose some of their intensity. I love all these flavors in the kitchen!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

33 friends stopped by:

Niesz Vintage Home said...

I'm always looking for smaller containers of spices. LOL
I've heard the "throw it out after 1 year" rule too, but I usually mark them and and give them a couple of years. Like you said, they may not be as intense, but they still do the job.

Oh, and I just saw your website. How AWESOME! It looks fabulous, Rhoda.

Kimberly :)

Rosie's Whimsy said...

Living where i do is not convenient for shopping but I am lucky that one place, that is just 7 minute from my door, is a combination Nursery/Gift Shop/ and Farmer's market. The Farmer's Market also has a large area that carries bulk spices, homemade noodles, and bulk candy. It's so much fun to make a stop there. I think I might go today :-) Thanks! Rosie

Michele said...

I was just out blogging today and thought I would pop in and say hello! Your spice cabinet looks so organized, I try to keep mine organized but since hubby has been doing most of the cooking, he doesn't abide by the rule of organization.
Thanks for sharing!
Michele

Jen said...

I have a Spice cabinet and love it. It is 3 shelves and filled. I have everything you can possibly imagine. one thing I have never done is an herb garden. Maybe one day.

BittersweetPunkin said...

Thats a great idea...I will have to look for them next time I am in WF! Thanks for the tip!
Blessings,
Robin

Anita Ann said...

I wish there was a whole food near me. SO cost effective.

Deb said...

What a great spice cabinet you have! The chocolate walnut pie in your last post looks delicious Rhoda :-}

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

I buy the smallest container possible and do try to use them, but I never throw them out.Blessings for a great day!!!!!!!!!!!! Mary

Bebe said...

Hi Rhoda!

You have reminded me that it may be time to go through my spice shelves! I love to use different spices in my cooking ~ wish we had a Whole Foods near here. All I can get are those little glass jars from the supermarket that are completely overpriced.

Just saw about your new website ~ that is fabulous, girl!! I wish you so much success in your decorating endeavor!! You are very talented! :)

Smiles, Bebe

Jill said...

Thanks for the tip---I never think anything at Whole Foods is cheap, so this is great to know.

Mrs. Jones said...

That's a great tip! Thanks. The microscopic jars at the grocery store are WAY too expensive.

~Heather

Justabeachkat said...

Great tip. Thanks.

Hugs!
Kat

Debbie Kay said...

Rhoda:

I'm definitely off to Whole Foods, I need to stock up on my spices. Thanks for the info and inspiration to get my spice cabinet organized.

Love,

Debbie Kay

Frantic Home Cook said...

Wow, great tip. Thanks. There's a Whole Foods in our city but it's 1/2 hour away. Sounds like it might be worth a trip though.

Donna said...

I love cooking with spices ~ lots of spices, and my cabinet is full. Unfortunately, we don't have a Whole Foods near us, sure wish we did.
Hugs,
Donna

Essential Oil Premier University said...

Oh yes, getting married in 1981. . . I do have some of those mauve tupperware containers myself!!

Thanks for the tip about Whole Foods. I never thought to do that. I use a lot of spices too, and do not throw them out after a year. I think it's the spice companies that want us to throw them out so we buy more LOL.

Blessings,

Sher

Anonymous said...

I love fresh oregano in my sauce (italian) so I buy it at Whole Foods or my local farm stand and freeze it...another great tip !!

How is your new business doing ???

Thanks for the tip...
Kathy :)

OldBagNewTricks said...

I learn something new every time I come to your blog! Like Whole Foods -- I need to find me one of those stores!!! I don't throw out my spices after a year either -- especially not those pricey ones like cardemom. Pitch it? I'm still paying for it!

Jenny

Jill -Forever and Ever House said...

Hello
I have somehow landed on your blog and I just wanted to tell you how much I've enjoyed reading your posts. :o) It is funny, I was just thinking that I needed to clean out my own pantry and you have posted on that very topic. Spring must be in the air and we all must be inspired to do some Spring cleaning!

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

I do throw mine out after a year, but they really aren't many left in my house to throw out. I use the basil, oregano, pepper, cumin, chili powder, mustard, etc up before the year is out. There is usually only the odd spice that I buy for one recipe (beau monde) that I end up throwing out.

I have my spices on a 3 tiered rack in my cupboard too.
Penny

Alice said...

I never throw any spices out either but every time I make certain recipes, I buy new spices. I probably have 4 containers of pumpkin pie spice and I have no idea which one is the most recent. I'm rather hopeless in this department.

Debra from Bungalow said...

Your spice cabinet looks organized. I TRY to keep mine that way! I have a 2 tiered turntable that is handy for organizing small containers. The problem is that there are also large containers and everything gets shuffled around in there.

Sometimes I buy in bulk too, but I've never thrown anything away.

The chocolate pie looks so good!
Have great day! Hugs, DebraK

Sandi McBride said...

My mother's rule of thumb was if you have to dig for it in the back of pantry, you need to either a. build a long shelf on the pantry door or b. admit you don't cook and throw it all out, lol. I have the long wire shelf on the pantry door...ugly, but effienct.
Sandi

Julie said...

Thanks for the tip. I usually buy and replace my spices in October/November.

A Romantic Porch said...

We don't have a WHOLE FOOD store. I would love to buy spices that way. xoRachel

Cynthia said...

Wow! I never would have thought it would be that inexpensive at Whole Foods. Thanks for the tip and thanks for sharing!

kari and kijsa said...

Love the idea of the bulk spices..we will have to check that out! Have a wonderful day!

blessings,
kari & kijsa

Anonymous said...

I buy my nuts at Whole Foods, but I grow and dry a lot of my own herbs. I don't think I've ever priced herbs there - thanks for the tip I'll have to check it out.

That pie down below looks just decadent!


Manuela

paperjunk-lc said...

Wow that's a great idea. I'll have to take a look the next time I'm at Whole Foods!

Tara said...

Rhoda

I had no idea, there's a Whole foods near me, thanks for the info!

THE HOME THAT LOVE BUILT said...

Great idea. The photo makes me want to cook something spicy soon.
Thanks for sharing.
Brook

Sheila said...

When we built our house, one of the things I wanted in my kitchen was a spice drawer with inset! It is fabulous, beside the stove in island, so convenient...I don't throw away spices either! Have a blessed week...

Anonymous said...

I love the containers of spices you show. I can't find them here,but when we go see Rian I go to the Amish Market and we go nuts!
Your spices are very organized.I think I have double that many.