Friday, April 11, 2008

The Guestbath Blues

It all started 2 years ago when I decided to do a blue guestbath downstairs and I picked out a couple of paint colors to try. This bathroom has no windows, so everything I put in there looked so washed out, so I looked at chips that were a little brighter than I thought I wanted. The first one was WAY too bright, so after I painted it and lived with it awhile, I went back and picked the 2nd color, which is called Marlboro Blue (BM, above color). So, that one has been up for almost 2 years now and I still wasn't entirely happy with it. It wasn't quite as bright as the pic above shows (with the flash), but still wasn't the calm blue I was looking for. This is downstairs next to my office nook and laundry area, so a little different shade of blue was fine for changing that area up. I had wanted to bring this color in somewhere, so this seemed like the best place, the small guestbath. And Malboro was pretty, I just thought I could improve on it, so off on another blue paintchip quest I went and settled on Wedgewood Gray by Benjamin Moore. It's a softer blue, more grayed down and calm and I think I'm finally happy with this blue!

I bought the monogrammed shower curtain at Ballards and loved the crisp cotton feel of it in here with just a simple black border. This is a tiny bathroom, so I didn't want to overwhelm it. I'm still mulling over painting the vanity an espresso color.
The shower curtain was a main focal starting point for the whole thing and gave the bath a sort of vintage look, which I liked in here.
I found the floral print at Hobby Lobby and had it framed there. Added just a few accessories on the countertop.
Faux orchid in the corner.
This cute shelf was found at a yardsale for $5 and I painted it black. Added most of these pieces from Homegoods. The bird was a yardsale find last year too.
These plates were a find from several years ago in Atlanta at one of my favorite shopping places, Hill Street Warehouse. They have the neatest imported pottery and home goods. These plates are from Italy and I just loved the colors of them and they go perfect in this bathroom.
The box and lime and black polka dot vase were from Homegoods.
Cute vintage bathtub art that I ordered and framed at Hobby Lobby. This shows the color very well.
So, there you have it...the light blue guestbath. I'm loving this paint color and don't think I'll be changing it anytime soon. It's a nice little beachy retreat in our downstairs area.

Working with my designer friend this week was fun and exhausting! It's a lot of hard work to go in someone's home and rearrange everything, but I really learned a lot from her and got an idea of how the business side of things work, as well as the creative process involved. It was good experience for me and hopefully I'll be able to work with her more. It was just like one of those redesign shows on TV. Empty out the room and build it back. The space we did was very contemporary. Hard work, but rewarding at the end!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

52 friends stopped by:

Anonymous said...

This is a beautiful color. The bath is very elegant and timeless. Congratulations. Christy :-)<><

Debra from Bungalow said...

Hi Rhoda, I glad you found a color that works. Choosing color is always tough for me! I was afraid that Wedgewood Gray would be too gray but it really looks good!
It must have been fun for you to work with a designer...pictures?
Your post about college days was such fun & the campus & food looked great. You had the Farrah look along with me & so many others! Those were the days my friend, big hugs, DebraK

Essential Oil Premier University said...

I LOVE this color blue. Very calm and soothing. Great job Rhoda.

Blessings,

Sher

windycorner said...

Perfect color Rhoda. And I love your idea of painting the vanity. Lucky guest who visits your home.
Holley

Anonymous said...

I love the new color. Even though lighter looks much richer and I know you love that look. All your treasures come together well.

PAT said...

Looks great Rhoda. That shade of blue is beautiful. Soft and subtle. We have the sqme shower curtain! Mine is white trimmed in ecru, also in a guest bath.

Pat

Anonymous said...

The color looks perfect, and your accessories bring such a calming look to the overall impact.

I want to change the countertops in my bathrooms. It is a project that I have been putting off for a while, but it is my goal to make it happen this year. I have four bathrooms, so I'm thinking I'll do two at the time. That way we still be functional. Now to get some prices and pick out materials and colors.

Anonymous said...

Love the new blue. It looks so soft and calming.

If it were me, I'd leave the vanity white. Just my opinion.

Anonymous said...

That blue is a winner, the word that comes to mind for me is "soothing". I like the vanity just the way it is - I think it flows just right. Your eye does not rest on any one spot but takes in the whole room. Well done Rhoda.

Have a nice week-end,
Kathy :)

ps any pictures from your decorating job ???

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

Rhoda, that looks great! It can be so hard to find the right shade of paint sometimes.

Anonymous said...

Love the blue... My daughter has something very close to it in her bedroom. She has solid black for her bed cover and black and white demask curtains. You know they are growing up when you see the tweety bird,elmo,lime green,etc.... Go. We have change dher room so many times. Her room is always so much fun to do. I want to chang my room up now but not sure just what I want.... Take care, Susie

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhoda!

Picking paint color is hard in my opinion! That BM color looks very pretty - nice and beachy. Love all the black accents!

Did y'all have to do all the furniture moving yourselves or did she have some help for that? I'm sure it was a wonderful way to get an idea of how that whole thing works. Nothing like learning from a pro!

Manuela

Valarie Lea said...

I love the bathroom! I also think painting the vanity would be great, I like that idea.

Rosie's Whimsy said...

The shelf display is a big WOW. I do so admire how you pull things together! :-) Rosie

Penny said...

Love the new look! That shower curtain is a perfect touch in that room.

LivingTheLife said...

Great color Rhoda...the bath looks fab. We recently had a Homegoods open up here...and I must say...I LOVE IT!! I read a few blogs that raved about them, yours included...and am thrilled to have one too shop in now...great prices!!

I do the same thing as you mentioned in your other post...I usually wait till hubbin is out of town for a while to tackle a big project...he is always amazed when he gets home and sees what I have done!! I have been slacking in that area for the past year or so...but now that we are building I am going to have to freshen a few things up for the sale of our home. It's funny...my hubbin' used to say...he never knew what to expect when he arrived home from a trip...he says he halfway expects walls to be torn down...and windows moved...well, I'm not that bad...but I have been know to tear down wall paper and re-texture EVERY room in the house!! Whew...that was when I was younger and had WAY more energy.

Thanks for sharing your bath re-do...it looks fab!

Blessings...
Teresa

CIELO said...

That shade of blue is beautiful, and it goes perfect with your white cabinetry.... lovely bathroom!

Have a great weekend, Rhonda.

Cielo

The Vintage Vagablonde said...

I love the bathroom. It is so funny how everyone in blog land is always making over one room or the other. Are we ever really satisfied? I know I am a compulsive room changer!

Marie said...

It looks beautiful! Your bathroom layout is identical to my guest bathroom that I just redid (on my blog). I love the blue you used. PRETTY!! It almost makes me want to redo the room! :o)

apple said...

I like it better Ro! and the expresso you would love...i did them in my bath.

Cottage Dreaming said...

I really like the new blue color. So soothing and relaxing. The little touches really finish the room. Wonderful monogrammed shower curtain. Ballard is fabulous. You are so talented. Have a great weekend.
Heather

Mrs. B said...

This looks like a beautiful color! And I just love that monogrammed shower curtain! As usual, you've done a great job. It all looks so pulled together.

Deserae said...

Love,love,love the new blue.....so crsip and fresh looking! Your bathroom is just gorgeous :o)
Have a great weekend!
Des

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh Rhoda, we just picked Wedgewood Gray from BM for a client today. I am not kidding. What a calm, serene and pretty guest bath!

I especially love your little shelf display, so well put together!

Jill said...

That's the same color as my dining room! I have brown and black accents and I've been "living with it" for a couple years now (I had hubby paint it celedon green first) and I think I'll keep it!

Deb said...

Hi Rhoda, Lovely. Deb

heartartz said...

I painted our bathroom vanity espresso using Benjamin Moore #2134-10 Night Horizon. It looks like a deep espresso stain and coordinates perfectly with the espresso mirror I had bought.

Mary said...

Lots for me to catch on - that's what happens when one leaves home!!!
Rhoda - the bathroom is lovely and that new color perfect. Love everything in there but the shot of chartreuse green is the finishing punch!

Loved the photos of you 'back then' and visiting your campus which is so elegant - imagine a posh looking restaurant like that at school!! I have friends who moved to Plant City and love it there - I must go visit if it's that attractive......and I do love strawberries!!

Great weekend to you dear.

Zaankali said...

Was this a typo, "which is called Marlboro Blue (BM, above color)"? Should it have been "MB" instead? Because I couldn't help but chuckle that you painted a bathroom with a color called BM. Sorry but it struck my funny bone.
Smiles!

Deb said...

Goodmorning Rhoda, I'm back. This time to let you know that you've been tagged over at my place, sweet dreams. Deb

aimee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
aimee said...

Hi Rhoda! Thanks for stopping by my blog today. I have been following yours for weeks now, but to shy to leave a comment. (silly I know) :)

Your home is simply divine. I love all the inspiration you share here. Your tag sale finds are my favorite! I am totally jealous of the bird. I never find stuff that good.

Hope you are having a wonderful weekend!

~aimee

Rosemary said...

Hi Rhoda,
Just happened to be on the computer.
Thanks for visiting.
Love your paint color, and the shower curtain is really nice.
Great job!! It does have a beachy spa feel.
I have been so busy, I haven't had much time to blog lately.
Have a great week, yourself!!
Rosemary

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

I reaaly think you have amazingly good taste...It is so beautiful...Mary

Justabeachkat said...

The new paint color is perfect! Great job on the whole room.

Hugs!
Kat

Niesz Vintage Home said...

What a lovely room, Rhoda!
You really are a genius at accessorizing.
Your rooms always look magazine ready. LOL

Kimberly :)

Lamp Tramp said...

So very beautiful...you are amazing. You are constantly updating. Wish I had your motivation!

Erin said...

Rhoda, thank you so much for sharing how to change the blog background! I love it when blogger's share with each other. Your visit with Kim looked very special!

Justabeachkat said...

Stop by when you get a chance. I'm passing on an award to all the "B" Club Members.

Hugs!
Kat

Sheila said...

Rhoda Hi I love love love my visits here. You are soo talented and I just know your business is going to take off and boom! You have natural talent and an eye for things! I wish I lived closer so you could give me some help. I do live in the "Nursery Capital of the world" so if you ever need to landscape and need trees and bushes really cheap come up for a visit and I will take you around. Stop by and see me I have a surprise for you! Thank you for sharing your beautiful things and God given talent.

Adriann said...

Lovely room! Love the hues of blue.

I'm having a blogaversary RAK. Stop by and visit if you can.

Blessings!

Rue said...

Hi Rhoda :)

That color blue is fanastic in there. I always thought red was hard to get right, but I've learned the hard way that yellow and light blue are. Great work :)

rue

Unknown said...

I love it! What a nice color!

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

Rhoda, This color is beautiful! Glad you finally found the perfect color...it is so hard to determine if one is going to work, from a chip! Your accessories are a perfect match! :) ~Rhonda

Classics and Country said...

I love this! Wow everything came together so nicely. How wonderful I wish i had a bathroom that looked as good as this one.

Becky K. said...

That is IT! The perfect blue. Amazing how hard it can be to find that perfect shade.

Becky K.

Shannon said...

I have this shower curtain in my guestbath too and love it. Mine has a "D" though. :) I love your blog!

Suzann said...

I'm not sure if I've ever seen this room of yours before, but it is absolutely wonderful. I have a bathroom that I'm not fond of and directly across from it is my laundry room and the washer and dryer and navy blue - i'm thinking this paint color would be perfect for those two rooms!!! I love how this room looks. And this blue is much nicer than the original, but I know all too well how difficult it is to get just the right hue sometimes.

Anonymous said...

The blue bath is really lovely except for the toilet lid cover which is outdated. I'd also like to see a second color that would focus one's attention to some special pieces, perhaps in warm buttery yellow (not a green tint yellow).

(I haven't seen the other rooms but I am going to look through them)

Donna

Anonymous said...

I really like the Wedgewood gray. Excellent choice. I like your idea of painting the vanity dark. What about towels in a tan color to match the shower curtain in the prints of the old fashioned bath? Great job!

Riley :)

Suzanne said...

Well, I seem to be about a year late for this post, but had to leave a comment anyway. :-) I have the same exact layout in my guest bath. AND I just ordered this shower curtain the other day (with an "R"). Isn't it funny that I find this room of yours today? Hopefully my room will come together as nicely as yours! Great blog. (LOVE, LOVE your Master bedroom, too!, as well as the rest of your home. Thank you for sharing it with us!)

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

Yes, yes, yes to painting the cabinet - either brown or black - whichever works best with the other dark items in the room (shelf, photo frame, shower curtain, etc).