Sunday, April 13, 2008

Homemade Chocolate Chip Cookies

My hubby absolutely loves it when I make these cookies. He's putty in my hands for an hour or three anyway. Or until they're gone. :)

I'm a cookie-baking wife who enjoys doting on her hubby every now and then, unlike some of our political candidates/wives who have voiced opinions on this very subject in the past (guess you know who I WON'T be voting for!). It's been awhile since I've made them, so I decided it was time for a treat and I wanted to take some with us to Florida.
I've had this recipe for many, many years now and it's called Mrs. Fields Chocolate Chip cookies, supposedly from the famous Mrs. Fields cookies. You probably have run across this same recipe over the years and may even have it in your stash. If you've never made these cookies, I promise you, they are fabulous! And with oatmeal, they can't be all bad, can they? I used my stone-ground whole-wheat flour for these and they came out delectable.
Mrs. Fields Chocolate Chip Cookies

Cream together:
  • 1 cup butter (2 sticks)
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup brown sugar
Add:
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
Mix together:
  • 2 cups plain flour
  • 2 and 1/2 cups oatmeal (put small amounts in blender & blend until it turns to powder. Measure first, then blend).
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
Mix all ingredients together and add one pkg. of chocolate chips and 1 cup chopped pecans. Bake on ungreased baking pan at 375* for 15 minutes. This recipe makes 4 dozen cookies.
Mix the flour mixture in one bowl and the butter, sugar, eggs in another, then put them all together. The batter requires a little elbow grease to mix it all up, as it's a thick batter. Just keep stirring until it all gets mixed, then spoon it out, make a little clump and drop on a cookie sheet. Going into the oven And golden brown out of the oven. Cook exactly 15 min. and they will still be soft when you take them off the cookie sheet. After cooling, they will be nice and crunchy chewy.And of course, when cookies are hot out of the oven, you have to sample right then and there. Chocolate chip cookies and milk....YUM!! Nothing better.

I'm heading back to Florida with my hubby this week, so I'll be sharing more adventures with you when I get back. Kim and I have another shopping day planned. I will still be blogging and have some fun posts saved up for you. Forgive me for not visiting around as much as I'd like, there's just not enough time!

Me and the hubby have a special date planned next weekend and got tickets to a wonderful 2-day Jazz Festival in Clearwater, where we'll stay for a couple of nights and also fit in some beach time. Woooohooo! Now doesn't that sound like fun...we LOVE jazz! You can expect to see pics of lots of fun things when I get back! Hope y'all have a great week.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

31 friends stopped by:

Rosie's Whimsy said...

What a great week you have ahead of you! Can't wait to hear all about it. Enjoy! :-) Rosie

Marie said...

Oh yay! I enjoy hearing about your trips to FL. I grew up in Orlando and get down there every chance I get. Have a wonderful week!

Sandi McBride said...

I love recipes...this one looks amazing...thank you. Hope the week ahead is fantastic!
Sandi

PAT said...

The cookies look scrump-deli-icious, Rhoda.

It's so good to hear you are "standing by your man AND making cookies for him, too"!LOL I'll never forget that interview!

Have fun in Florida!

Pat

Anonymous said...

You had me drooling just by your first cookie picture. Then when I saw they had pecans in them, I rushed out the door. I'll be knocking at your door for my cookie any minute now. And, I love that tin.

Have a wonderful time. I love Clearwater. When I was very young, my mother would pack a picnic lunch in the car. And, we would head to Clearwater Beach after Sunday church service every week.

I won't be voting for her, either.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm I'm with you Roh I know who I won't be voting for either....I like me some putty in my hands...LOL

Those cookies look fabulous that is very much my recipe but I like the idea of oatmeal, yum

Lots of yardwork yesterday at the Casa, we had a bonus day it was supposed to rain but the sun came out and it was a 10 for 4 hours or so then the thunderstorms struck. We got the pansies in the ground and they look so pretty..

Say hello to Kim, we love Jazz too...The Charles Hotel's Regatta Bar has some really good music, we get there every so often.

Have a nice week,
Kathy :)

ps thanks for all the nice posts !!!

Kissing of the Frogs said...

Wishing you a wonderful week, these cookies looks so good, and I'm lovin the blue in your bathroom.

Hugs
Rose

Unknown said...

Have fun Fla. Rhoda. Those cookies look so good. I wish I had one right now. LOL Have a good week.

Glenda said...

How yummy they look. Mrs. Fields cookies are soooo yummmmy.
I'll have to try these now. They may replace the standard chocolate chip.
Have a great trip to sunny Fl.

Glenda

Sandy said...

Hi Rhoda - I've had that exact recipe for years too, and I love the oatmeal part. SO YUMMY. Save some for me! :)

THE HOME THAT LOVE BUILT said...

I will most definitely try this cookie recipe. They look delicious. Thanks for sharing it.

Blessings
Brook

Essential Oil Premier University said...

You're a great wife making those cookies for hubby. I know EXACTLY which candidate you are referring to and I won't be voting for her either :) ! We can be intelligent, society contributing wives and still bake cookies!!!

I have this recipe as well. It's also named "Marshall Field's Cookies." They are excellent.

Have a blessed time in Clearwater with hubby (watch out for those Scientologist - that's the city of their main hub!!) Enjoy your time with Kim too.

Blessings,

Sher

Justabeachkat said...

Oh my my! My mouth is watering. Wish I had one of those cookies right now. Thanks for the recipe.

Have fun. Can't wait to hear all about your adventures.

Happy Sunday
Hugs!
Kat

Rue said...

Oh boy do those look good! I'll definitely have to try them :)

Have fun this week!

hugs,
rue :)

Anonymous said...

oh yea! I love new recipes, especially for anything sweet!!! I am going to have to give this recipe a try. I'm just finding my love for baking, so any new recipes are always well received!

Thanks so much!

Anonymous said...

Ack! Pleeeease no politics! I like this blog too much! Some of us take care of our husbands AND will vote for the person y'all are hating on!

Simply Me Art said...

Oh my Rhoda, Those honestly look Delicous. My Hubby would be putty in my hand also if I presented him with those. Have a Terrific time on your weekend getaway next weekend. Jamie

Donna said...

Oooo, sound like some fun in Fla! Have a great time!
Those cookies look so yummy!
Hugs,
Donna

Sandi McBride said...

I made these yesterday afternoon, substituting splenda for baking and splenda brown sugar and they were dingdong delicious...maybe not as rich as yours but for those of us fightint the battle of bulge, they were mighty fine! Thanks dear friend...it's a keeper!
Sandi

Rosemary said...

Sounds like you are going to have some fun this week.
Enjoy yourselves!!
Rosemary

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhoda, cookies hot out of the oven are the way I like to eat mine (what a pretty tin)!

That's so nice that you and your husband have something special planned and I know you'll enjoy your outing with Kim!

xo,

Manuela

Unknown said...

Don't mind me sitting here drooling on my keyboard...

aimee said...

Yum. Chocolate cookies are one of my many weaknesses and these look divine.

please sir said...

Oh yum...looks oh so good!

Joy Jones said...

Hi Rhoda! Ooooh my those cookies looked yummy! I am down in St. Pete and just spent a day in Clearwater with my folks....check out my blog to see a pretty picture of the beach...you will have a beautiful time! Jazz in Clearwater is the best. Have fun! xoxo ~ Joy

BittersweetPunkin said...

Rhoda...thanks for the recipe..I am going to try it. We love choc chip cookies at my house too. I hope you enjoy your time in Florida and I hope the weather is perfect for you!
Hugs,
Robin

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

Wishing you a wonderful week. Don"t eat too many cookies. LOL...Mary

Julie L. Light said...

My Mom makes these cookies and they are sooooo delicious!

Have a fabulous day!
Julie

Vonda said...

Oh yum Rhoda...these cookies look awesome. The pix was so good that I almost reached through the computer to grab one. :) And girl I love it that you're old fashioned and that you love to dote on your man (unlike some politicians that you mentioned)...yeah I couldn't believe she said that...I immediately told Ian, "wow she has just lost a lot of women's votes with that comment."

The Berry's Patch said...

Rhoda,
My kids had a half day today at school. So I made these cookies and they were so yummy! Thanks for the recipe.
Brandee

The Vintage Vagablonde said...

There is nothing in the world more delectable then choc. chip cookies! I could eat a dozen. I would rather have these cookies then any other dessert,great choice :)