Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Spring in Alabama

Clematis on my mailbox
As is usual this time of year, Spring has arrived in the South. Last week was just about peek and I took a walk through my neighborhood to show you what is blooming around here. In spite of our severe drought last year, it doesn't seem to have affected the show of flowers. We have had lots of rain lately, so that has helped a lot. Foliage and blooms are pushing their way up to the sunshine and giving us a grand show that only happens this time of year. This is my very favorite season!
Azaleas are a staple in the Southern garden and they are tried and true bloomers. Our neighborhood is 10 years old, so many yards are well established (ours, not so much, but that's another story).
I won't attempt to name everything I've taken pics of, but what I do know, I'll share. This is especially for all you gals up in the frozen north who will have to wait another month or so to see a show like this. I'm so sorry for you!
I love this bunny planter at a neighbor's already filled with tiny petunias that I think are Million Bells.
Lady Banks Roses on a mailbox.
Pretty purple iris
Don't know this one.
More azaleas, the colors are spectacular this year.
White dogwood in full bloom
More azaleas
Such gorgeous colors. Not sure what tree this is, but the blooms are amazing.
I think this is a snowball bush with one crazy limb climbing up to the sky.
Snowball closeup.
Pink dogwood
More coral azaleas.
I love this color azalea! My favorite pink.
These tulips were so pretty!
Ahhhhh.
Pink azaleas and pink dogwoods.
Red Japanese maple, you can't beat their foliage for beauty.
We always called this Thrift and I can't remember the real name of it.
More azaleas.
Lilac perhaps??
Carolina jasmine at the end of the blooming season.
And then I ran into these cute little guys in one yard. They were happy to have some company and came right over to be petted.
I've been by to see them before and they're very friendly.
Aren't they cute?

Pink and white azaleas right next to each other. I'm determined to get some in our yard. We have no azaleas right now and have lots of landscaping work to do. I miss having all these blooms in my yard, as my yard in GA was full of them. Now here's what's been blooming in my yard. I fell in love with Lenten Rose (or hellebores) several years ago when I saw them at Callaway Gardens in Georgia and vowed to have some one day in my own garden. I planted 3 little plants two years ago and they are rewarding me now with some beautiful blooms. I actually took these pics back in March and they were in full bloom then.
I really don't know all that much about Lenten Rose, except they bloom in late winter and have the most delicate flowers and colors.
Isn't this a beautiful flower?
Just thought you'd all love a little shot of spring to cheer you up, just in case you are still stuck in Winter where you are.
Hang on, Spring's coming your way too!

I'm chillin' out in Florida, literally. They've had a little cold snap this week and the nights are a bit chilly and highs for a couple of days around 70. We walked around the lake last evening and I was freezing! I'm going to do a little shopping and browsing at some antique stores and if the sun is out some this week, I'll sit by the pool and read my books. I brought plenty of reading material so I won't be bored.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

37 friends stopped by:

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

I want to go on vacation, it sounds wonderful to be lounging around and reading a book! Have a great time for the remainder of your vacation!

Spring in Alabama looks beautiful. I've never been there but I would sure love to visit!

Happy day!
Melissa

PAT said...

All gorgeous!

It's supposed to be 70 here tomorrow. I can hardly wait! We're going to try for a run to the lake, Thursday, for a couple days.

I'm beginning to see our azaleas waking up...of course not as spectacular as they are farther south! The hosta garden next to the patio is making an appearance, too. Could it be, Spring is finally arriving in Missouri?! Knock on wood!

Have fun, Rhoda!
Pat

Anonymous said...

Rhoda, everything looks just absolutely beautiful. Spring is definitely my favorite season, too.

Enjoy your relaxing.

Justabeachkat said...

Gorgeous photos...thanks for sharing. I'm seeing alot of the same blooms here and loving it. This is my favorite time of year too.

You're right...it's been a tad chilly here in the Sunshine state.

Hugs!
Kat

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the peek...I needed that, everything is starting to show their pretty heads up here, but I'm getting itchy for the show, love my tulips !!!

What did you bring for reading material ?? I'm in need of a good book...(just finished devouring my Tradtional Homes Magazine)...but I need a novel...

Hope it warms up for you, it's going to hit 60 here woo hoo lol

Take care,
Kathy :)

Mrs. B said...

Rhoda, everything is beautiful! I just love those tulips! The dogwoods have just come into bloom here and I love seeing them. I'll have to do a post on them soon!

Hope you're having a wonderful time in Florida!

Peggy said...

Hi Rhoda, Thanks for the bright flower pictures. Up here in western PA the daffodills are almost ready to bloom. It's a long winter without greenery and it was nice to see how beautiful it is down south. I have Georgia roots and always loved to visit this time of year. There is nothing prettier than azaleas and dogwood in bloom. Tomorrow's low will be in the twenties...brrr! Just seeing your pics made me warmer. Regards, Peggy

Fran said...

As I glance out at the snow in the backyard.....it was wonderful to see what plants are supposed to be doing! Your photos are just beautiful!

Fran

Anonymous said...

Hi there! I think one of the pink flowers at the top of your post is called a Althea. My parents had one like it in the yard. Very pretty! Susie

Carrie said...

Wow, I don't think we ever have so many different spring blooming plants in this area. Thay are spectacular.

Unknown said...

Oh how I love seeing all of these signs of Spring. It just makes you feel good, doesn't it? That sounds like my kind of relaxing time, reading and just chilling. Have a great time!

The Busy Blaine's said...

We have blooms here in Va but not like that. Beautiful!

Suzanne said...

WOW is all I can say. We're still under a deep freeze in northern Illinois. Do you have the powder puff trees I used to see in Tennessee. I love them but I don't think they grow this far north. Sigh.

- Suzanne, the Farmer's Wife

Sandy McTier Designs said...

It turned cold here today - and sitting on the beach sounds divine!
Love all the gorgeous photos - so inspirational and makes we want to paint, paint, paint.
Have a wonderful time in Fla.
Blessings,
Sandy :)

Natasha said...

Oh my what an array of beautiful colors. Just lovely. We have Azaleas and those little yellow roses growing here in Northern California I adore the Azalas

Thanks for some pretty pictures.

sheila from life @ #17 said...

look at those tulips! I'm jealous...I think I planted my Orange Emperors too late and they're just sitting there...big green leaves, no bloom at all...and now I wish I had picked up some lenten roses at the plant sale :(...

oh well...maybe in the fall, LOL

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhoda - beautiful pics - the hail the other night really knocked things down for us. Glad you took pictures before that happened. The pink tree that's so lovely is a Quanzan Cherry. You're right - it's a lilac and a gorgeous one at that. Have fun on vacation!

Unknown said...

What beautiful flowers. Cute cats, too. The Air Force almost moved us to Alabama several years ago. I'm sorry they didn't.

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

I can not find the words to express how beautiful I think these are. I truly got in-measurable pleasure out of viewing these magnificent flowers...Smiles

Anonymous said...

Oh I just love all of these photos. We have the same sort of stuff blooming here in South West Tennessee. The pink dogwoods and azaleas are my fav's.

Chris said...

I just couldn't get enough of these pictures! I'm one of the unlucky ones in the cold north, but I think it's breaking. We're up to 62 today! I'm brand new to blogging, but I've enjoyed reading your blog for sometime. Thank you!

Rhondi said...

Hi Rhoda.
Thanks for taking us on a tour of your neighborhood. Spring is my favorite time of year too! Hope it warms up in Florida for you.
Hugs,
Rhondi

Picket said...

What a beautiful tour..I loved it..I especially loved hearing someone else talk about Thrift...most call it creeping phlox but we grew up calling it thrift all my life ..you could always see it in the yards of in the countryside and even where my grandparents lives folks would have it growing on ditchbanks and in old tires turned inside out and cut in fancy edges filled with dirt..come to think of it those old tires had alot of uses...farmers would cut them in half like a bagel and use them to hold water and feed for the chickens! lol Do I got some memories or what?!!! lol I truly loved this though!

Debra from Bungalow said...

You know I'm jealous of all the pretty blooms in the south. We are just starting to see some color up here.
Hope you're havin a great time in FL!
Hugs, DebraK

Michelle said...

Oh Rhoda, your pictures are just lovely...thanks for sharing! We're still waiting for everything to bloom here in MI but even seeing buds poking through the dirt is at least promising! LOL Hope you enjoy the rest of your time in FL!

Donna Lynn said...

Beautiful photos, I long for flowers in my garden, you gave me pure joy this morning seeing yours!
Thanks so much!
Donna Lynn

Rue said...

Good morning Rhoda :)

You're such a tease! The only thing that's bloomed here is the Forsythia :(

Have a great time in Florida. I would LOVE to be sitting by a pool today!

Hugs,
rue

Anonymous said...

Your Spring pictures are beautiful! But the pictures of Southeastern College was such a surprise! My husband and I met there 37 years ago!! It brought tears to my eyes seeing the group of happy young girls coming down those stairs! Oh I remember those days! So free and happy! It sure has changed! My family also lives outside of Plant City, in a little town called Pleasant Grove. Some of the most wonderful preachers and missionaries lived on the grounds of the church where I grew up. Thanks for the memories!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Mary Ann, I hope you come back & read this, although you may not. WE just might be related. That's where my mom grew up, in that church, Pleasant Grove, and her family is full of missionaries & preachers. I wish I could email you, seriously! If we are not related, you know all my relatives.

Rhoda

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhoda - Loved your beautiful photos and musings. In west Michigan the daffodils are just getting ready to bloom but not much else is out...not until May:(
I'm glad you're enjoying Florida. My husband also is a consultant and is spending much time with a client in Orlando so...I'm going to do as you have and head down to spend some time in the Sunshine state. I can easily entertain myself as you are doing...a little shopping, a little reading, some garden peeping, some picture taking.

Enjoy your break in Florida and keep up with your lovely blog!

Sheila from west Michigan

Julie said...

Those are amazing flowers. Even my veggie garden has some flowers in it!

Please stop by my blog and read about a creative contest I am holding with a great prize. If you are not interested - please forward it onto as many people as you can. Thank you!

Mary said...

How absolutely beautiful! I've never been farther south than Virginia, so to this Yankee, Alabama looks like heaven!
xoxo
Mary

Maureen said...

Hi Rho- I think you've got a handle on that new camera, girl! Loved seeing Spring in Alabama, which isn't too unlike Spring in Georgia! The Dogwoods are my favorite! So how did you like Dade City? Will there be a post, I hope?

Essential Oil Premier University said...

Spring in Alabama looks sooo beautiful. PLEASE send some north our way :)

Blessings,

Sher

Tonja said...

Do you feel guilty even a little bit for showing allthis deep south beauty to our friends up in PA, and MI, and elsewhere in the far North? No? I wouldn't either! :)

Vonda said...

Oh I would give ANYTHING to see a Dogwood or Azalea right now. I watched The Masters last week just to get a sneak peek at all the beautiful blooms. Maybe next Spring we'll be back in the good ole South during Spring time....oh that would be glorious! Thanks for sharing a taste of home!
Love ya
Vonda

CJ'SMOMMY*KIMBERLY said...

Oh I can't wait till spring gets here.I love your blog as you can tell by me visiting so many old posts.
We always called it thrift too.I remember an elderly couple had a huge garden of it across the road when I was little.
I started a batch for myself.I only have purple but come spring I hope to get more colors.