Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Playing in Plant City

In case you weren't aware, Plant City is the strawberry capital, at least in Florida. Every year they have a huge Strawberry Festival, with rides, food, and fun. And of course, world famous strawberry shortcake. I've been to the festival only one time, but it is a wildly popular event in Central Florida. My mom grew up really near Plant City and she's talked many times of picking strawberries when she was a girl. I got to do that one year too and it was a fun thing to do...all those beautiful strawberries ripe for the pickin'. Plant City also has a really cute historical area in town, with some fun shopping, so one day me and my cousin's wife, Dot went over for an afternoon of lunch and strolling. First stop was this store, called Southern Hospitality, so of course I had to go in here! It reminds me a lot of Old Time Pottery, some good things and some not some great things, but it was fun to look. A lot of these type stores have way too much Made in China products for my taste, as I do like to be a little more original with my decor. I did find one really pretty white iron bird that I'll show you sometime.
There were lots of dishes to be found. Most things were more country than my taste, but I took some pics to show you around. I loved this saying!
Dishes

Birdhouses
More birdhouses
Rooster weathervanes
Pottery
Baskets galore
Ever-popular tin stars
Wildly popular apothecary jars
Large and small, the prices were pretty good.
Downtown Plant City.
This is in the historic district, old brick and antique stores.
Frenchmans Market
We had lunch in the Orange Blossom Tearoom.
My spinach salad was really delicious. Hot bacon dressing was yummo!
More browsing in the markets.
Furniture. I think this meant, do not sit here.
An old china cabinet
Vintage chair
And driving out, we went down one really pretty street in the historical district complete with red brick streets. I couldn't resist taking some pics to show you these beautiful homes that have been saved and restored.
I could live in any one of these.
It surprised me a little at all the architectural styles that you see here. You wouldn't think that about Florida.
But, these older homes have quite the charm and character.
Thank goodness some of the small towns have seen fit to save them. Enlarge the one above to see the ivy growing all over the front.
Beautiful
Quaint cottage.

Hope you enjoyed shopping and browsing with me in Plant City! I sure had fun. Tomorrow we will visit Kim's house again. You don't want to miss that!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

24 friends stopped by:

Marie said...

You are making it SO hard to not take a side day trip somewhere when I head down to Orlando in a few weeks! I know where Plant City is! I used to drive thru it on my way to St Pete to visit my grandma. Your pictures make me love Florida a little more every day. I miss it!

Valarie Lea said...

This just makes me want to take off work and go drive around the countryside and just go looking around.

Anonymous said...

How fun Rhoda! I am drooling over that salad! And the apothecary jars in all of those different sizes....
:)

Anonymous said...

Okay, that's it. I can't take it anymore...you always find the BEST stuff. I am coming to wherever you are and tagging along on your next shopping excursion:)

Donna Lynn said...

Rhoda,
Thanks so much for letting me tag along on your trip! You would be such fun to shop with, love the glass jars, so many shapes and sizes all in one spot, score! We usually only see one or two here or there, when we shop up here in WA. Your salad looks lovely, I am waiting for Diana Lyn to show up, she is walking with me this am, and I am getting hungry...Beautiful post, thanks...Donna Lynn

PAT said...

Another wonderful post.

It warms my heart to see those restored homes. That is something we love seeing!

Pat

Anonymous said...

Oh Rhoda, thank you for showing Plant City! Of course it is close to my heart. When I was a kid almost every Saturday was spent in downtown Plant City. The McCroys was there and it had wooden floors!
The older homes are to die for, since I love almost anything old and I live in a home built in 1927. Traveling with you is so much fun, I don't have to leave home!

Michelle said...

Thanks for taking us along on your trip...I enjoyed it! lol Glad you've been enjoying FL :)

Unknown said...

I love that quaint cottage house! What a delight of a place!

Unknown said...

Hi Rhoda,

This is fun going around Fla. with you! I know of Plant City and the strawberries but have never been, Looks like a fun place to visit.

Mrs. B said...

Those houses are so pretty! I just love old houses with all the character they have! Thanks for showing us around. And spinach salad with bacon dressing sounds so yummy!

Carrie said...

Thanks for the lovely tour!

Rosie's Whimsy said...

I love taking trips with you! I wonder where we will go tomorrow....... :-) Rosie

Julie said...

I just love the character of older homes...and wonder if we ever get to build our house - how I can incorporate a look that makes people think my home has been there for decades.

Cora from Hidden Riches said...

I live so close, but never went shopping in old Plant City!!!! I need to make a day trip and get over there again. And I will definitely have lunch in the tea room!!! Thanks for sharing. I'm drooling already! Cora

Rose - Watching Waves said...

Thanks for the tour, Rho! How cool to find a store that is based on your blog - hee! I do love the old homes: big porches, wide fronts, no big garage dominating the front facade. Some day ...

Adla said...

what a lovely trip Rhoda. Some great shopping to be had like those apothecary jars.

Jill said...

How fun. Since I haven't had a "fun" day off work since Christmas, I'm vacationin vicariously through you. You are right about the historic homes. I reminds me of Dothan, AL on my drive to the beach.

Justabeachkat said...

Wow...I haven't been by in a few days and I've missed alot. So many great photos! You've been busy, busy having fun fun fun!

Hugs!
Kat

Sandi McBride said...

Send me the map to Plant City!!! I must go...and bring lots of moolah...Sandi

Deserae said...

Ohhhh love the apothecary jars!!! I would have been sooo tempted to grab a few of those :o) Plant City looks like such a wonderful place...I will have to add it to my list of places I would like to visit someday!
~Des

OKGardners said...

I love your visit to Plant City, and I LOVE the jazz music you have added.

Thanks for entertaining us!

Betty in Oklahoma

Essential Oil Premier University said...

I had to snicker when I read the wording on that tray. . . "if you want breakfast in bed, sleep in the kitchen." I have a sign in our guest room up north at the cottage. It sits on a tray with a tea-pot and cup and saucer. It says, "Bed and Breakfast. . . make your own!" I think that about says it. We (including me) are all at the cottage to REST!!

Blessings,

Sher

Anonymous said...

Rhoda, you just can't know how much I have enjoyed your trips back to Florida. I haven't been to Plant City since the early 1960s, and wow, does it look fantastic.

Tell Kim I love those red mirrors.