Saturday, May 10, 2008

Mother's Day Sweet Treats

Photo by Dot R, my cousin's wife in Lakeland, Florida.


We are off to my parents in Atlanta to celebrate my mama's 80th birthday last week, as well as Mother's Day on Sunday. Hope you all are treated to some rest, relaxation, and love from your family on this extra-special day and have some sweet time with your own mothers too, if you are blessed to still have them.

Here's a cake recipe for you to try too that I'm taking over for Mother's Day. If you like coconut, this is a good recipe to try. My friend, Vicki, gave this one to me and the I like it cause it uses a boxed cake mix and sometimes I don't want to cook completely from scratch. It's easy and feeds a lot of people, so this is a good one for a gathering.

Coconut Cake

Mix up one box of Butter Yellow Cake mix according to directions. Bake in prepared 13 x 9" pan according to directions.


While cake is baking, mix together:

1 can Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk and
1 can creme of coconut (I found this in the drink mixer section of Walmart & Publix, Coco Lopez is a good one)

Once cake is done, remove from oven and while still hot, poke holes in the cake using a wooden spoon handle or other object, not a toothpick. You want the holes to be decent size. Pour milk mixture over cake. Let cake sit until cool then store in fridge. Before serving cake, top it with Cool Whip and sprinkle with shredded coconut.


Very easy and tasty!

Have a lovely weekend, y'all. Next weekend, we leave for the beach and it's the start of my BIG giveaway, so don't miss it!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

28 friends stopped by:

Anonymous said...

Sounds delicous! Happy mother's day to you and thank you for visiting my blog. I love your blog and will visit again soon. Thanks, dana

Jen said...

I have made this before and it is great. And such a beautiful cake. My dad loves it. Happy Mothers Day to you too.

Emily M said...

The cake sounds delicious. I enjoy reading your blog and seeing the great photos. Have fun at the beach! Our family is going to Fl next Saturday too - Seacrest beach (next to Rosemary.)

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Oh Yummm! That's a keeper - I LOVE coconut. Have a great weekend the weather is supposed to be beautiful today!

Manuela

Anonymous said...

Have a wonderful Mother's Day, and enjoy your time with your family.

I can personally attest to this cake. I have made it many times, and everyone loves it.

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

Rhoda hope you and your dear Mama have a wonderful Mother's Day.
Looks like you were very busy...I'm glad I missed all that work you did it would've wore me out! The patio looks fabyoulous!

(())

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Mercy!
That looks delish.
Y'all have a good trip~

PAT said...

Have a great weekend Rhoda!

I just showed J your neat new patio. He mentioned the downspout would be a great place for a rain barrel. Bet you could find a pretty "barrel". We've used these before. They're wonderful for collecting water for plants.

Pat

Anonymous said...

That cakes looks devine---I will try it! Have a super time with your Mom.

The Berry's Patch said...

I took my mom & grandma to lunch yesterday at a cute little cottage house. It had real flowers on the tables and beautiful vines growing all over the outside porch. It was very cute.

Have a wonderful Mothers Day Rhoda!

Justabeachkat said...

Yummy! That sounds easy and delish.

Have a wonderful Mother's Day with your sweet Mom.

Hugs!
Kat

Katrina Chambers said...

You too! Have a great day :)

Donna Lynn said...

Hey Rhoda!
This is just awesome looking! Sure wish my boys liked coconut, I love it but they think it is weird stuff! And we lived in Hawaii for 7yrs. go figure!

Happy Mothers day to you and your mom! Hope you all have a wonderful day of fun, food and family memories!
Hugs, Donna Lynn

Anonymous said...

That picture looks scrumptious! I'll have to give it a whirl, coconut is my sister's favorite.

Happy Mother's Day to you:)

aimee said...

Wishing you a wonderful Mothers Day!

Mandie said...

Oh my goodness, that recipe sounds delitious and the cake looks beautiful and springy. Have a fantastic time with your family. Happy Mother's Day!

Mandie said...

I meant to say delicious, hehe.

Rosemary said...

Looks really yummy!
Happy Mother's Day to you and your mom, and Birthday to your MOM!!!!
Rosemary

willzmom said...

This cake sounds wonderfully rich! I hope that you have a lovely visit with your mother, and that you have a sweet mother's day.

Tonja said...

Have a happy Mothers Day and enjoy your trip to Atlanta.

Blessings

Tonja

Suzanne said...

That's one of the most beautiful photographs I've ever seen. The cake looks delicious and I have some coconut in the cabinet. Thanks.

- Suzanne, the Farmer's Wife

Sue said...

Oh Rhoda that coconut cake looks delicious!

Essential Oil Premier University said...

Yum, looks like a nice, light, refreshing summer cake to try. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Blessings,

Sher

Anonymous said...

Hi! I have never commented on your site before but always go to it for beautiful pictures and inspiration! I live in East Texas on a small ranch with cows and a couple of dogs and 7 cats. Just arrived back today from outside Houston where my mother lives. Planted up several large pots of flowers for her patio and weeded a couple of flower beds. We sat around and talked about how her friend and her made a three tier wedding cake almost exactly like your coconut recipe. I can't wait to try it. The patio project looks wonderful. You are a lot like me-dreaming of certain projects and in your mind you know just how you want it. Wait till you put some wonderful large pots of flowers-it will look so inviting. I went to the Garden Ridge pottery near my mother's house today for a couple of more pots for her and the place is full of thousands of pots! Had only about 10 minutes to run in and pick a couple-could have brought a rollaway bed and spent the night! Way too much to look at and think how they would be perfect for the yard! I am getting ready for a home and garden tour at my house on June 3 that the Master Gardeners are conducting. They were desperate when they asked me! Anyway. the cake looks delicious and your patio looks a 1000% better!

kari and kijsa said...

Just stopping by to wish you a very Happy Mother's Day!

smiles, kari & kijsa

OldBagNewTricks said...

Happy Mother's Day, Rhoda. The cake looks devine. I hope the visit to your mother was warm, wonderful and that you all had an entirely lovely day.

Jenny

Unknown said...

Mmmm...that sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Betty Jo said...

I've had this cake and love it, especially the ease of making it.