Monday, May 12, 2008

Celebrating Mom

(me, Mom, sister Renee, niece Lawyer Lauren...hey Lauren!)

We don't often get together and take pics, but it seems appropriate every Mother's Day to capture this special day with Mom and get all 3 generations of us girls in the picture.
We had a wonderful sunny, although windy, day at my sister's house where she put out a wonderful spread for the whole family. Her husband's mom and dad, as well as his brother and sister-in-law and assorted young adult kids were all there and we had a great time out on the deck catching up and yakking. The food was delicious as usual. My sister really knows how to put it together and we had steak and chicken kabobs, green beans, potatoes, salad, bread and my yummy coconut cake, which was a big hit.
These were as good as they look.
I forgot how delicious kabobs are and it's been awhile since I've made them at home. We filled up the deck and enjoyed our day.

My sister and brother-in-law's backyard is beautiful, especially this time of year.
They have a new addition to the family, newly adopted Holly, who they rescued 3 weeks ago from a local pet rescue agency. She's a sweetie and of course, we are instant friends.
How could you not love that face? She's about 9 mos. old.
They have a gorgeous fish pond in the backyard with goldfish and koi.
My mama is so cute and sweet. She and I had planned to go shopping on Saturday when we got over there. She had told me earlier she wanted to change out the bathroom stuff in their house in the mountains. My mom is not a decorator, nor does she get into trends and change things out very often. In fact, this bathroom hasn't changed since they built the house 20 years ago, but she had finally decided the peach and blue had to go. She decided we would start with a new wallpaper border. I tried to talk her out of the border, but she insisted, so that's the direction we went. We spent over an hour in the wallpaper store while she walked around trying to find some inspiration. We didn't agree on which ones would work the best, but I finally found this one that is a mountain scene and will be perfect for their rustic mountain home. The decision was finally made and we moved on to the rest of the plan, with new paint, rugs, shower curtain and accessories. Here's what we ended up with, after going to Walmart to complete it all. I think it's going to look really pretty and a huge update from what she had before.
Thanks for all the wonderful comments about the patio project. I'm so glad some of you got inspired to try something like that yourself. It really is a very easy DIY project, so I hope you will try it and let me know if you do.
Enjoy your week!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

32 friends stopped by:

Jen said...

Your food looked fantastic. It looked as if you had a great time with your family. I love days like that. Enjoy your week.

Anonymous said...

Ummm... that food looks delicious! I love your sister's black and white harlequin deck. It's so pretty. Their back yard is perfectly "southern."

Glad to hear your Mother's Day was fabulous!

BittersweetPunkin said...

What a lovely family Rhoda! So glad you had a great time!
Hugs,
Robin

Judy said...

Good morning Rhoda! Last year my mom decided to change out her guest bathroom with my help! The tile is peach and brown (can you imagine?) Anyway, found a beautiful bronzy-brown shower curtain at Wally World, got a new "old world" mirror for over the sink, plush brown, creme and peach towels, and it looks great. The best part is that she likes it!

My camera has bit the dust so I'm going to look at one today like your new Canon. Do you like it? It looks like it takes great pictures.

Later - Judy

P.S. Would love to know how your sister painted her deck cause that is my summer project.

Lauren said...

hi rhody. i'm leaving a comment so i'm not one of the 850 mysterious stoppers-by. will you email me all of the picks of the four of us that craig took?

Sandi McBride said...

It seems a wonderful day was had by all! Love the family, adore the dog...and the fish pond...ohlala what can I say? I love fish so much, especially Koi!
hugs
Sandi

Shirlee said...

I like everything you and your Mom picked out for her bathroom makeover. Perfect for a mountain setting.
Lovely picture of the girls of the family.
Your sister's yard, pond and deck are all very nice. What a great space.

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhoda,

So glad the bad weather did not find you; looks like you had a wonderful day. My son had a destination wedding in NC over the week-end and he also escaped any storms thank God.

Those kabobs look yummy.

Have a great week,
Kathy :)

Valarie Lea said...

I love your sister's deck!! That is so cool.

It was awful windy yesterday wasn't it?

ocean mommy said...

It was so windy here in Dacula too! Our afternoon walk was a major workout!!

Your sister's backyard is stunning!! LOVE it. We are just starting to do some things in our backyard and I am loving the deep purple bush in the right of the picture...can you tell me what that is? Thanks!

Steph.

OKGardners said...

Savor every minute with your Mom. (Mine died 31 years ago) That is sure a good picture of your 4 ladies. The food looked great, the patio and yard are stunning as well. I'm glad you all enjoyed the day. That is priceless!

Betty in Oklahoma

TinaTx said...

Looks like you had a great weekend. Wonderful picture!
Those kabobs do look yummy.
Love what you picked out for your Mother's bathroom. We just re-did my Mother's bedroom and I wanted to get rid of the wallpaper all together but that would have meant texturing the wall (it's only on one wall) so we compromised and papered over the mauve paper that has been there since the early 80s.

Anonymous said...

Rhoda, you have quite lovely ladies in your family. I'm so glad you all had such a nice visit and Mother's Day.

Good for you helping your mother decorate. My mother and I don't always agree on decorating either, but it is always fun.

Heather said...

Where do I begin?? The food, the painted deck, the sweet puppy... It looks like you had a great time.

CIELO said...

All beautiful ladies.... I'm glad you had a wonderful Mother's Day...

Cielo

Unknown said...

You can tell you and your family are... well, family! What a beautiful family you do have!

Justabeachkat said...

What a beautiful photo Rhoda of the 4 of you! The food looked delish. I'm so glad you were able to spend Mother's Day with famiy. Oh, you're right, that sweet puppy has such a sweet face!

Hugs!
Kat

Rue said...

Your family is gorgeous Rhoda!! It looks like y'all had a lovely time too :)

The patio looks beautiful.

Have a wonderful evening.
hugs,
rue :)

Picket said...

Beautiful post friend..that food looked fantastic! lol So nice to hear you had such a great time with family and I think your mom's bathroom makeover will turn out great!!!! Take care and have a great night!

Wanita said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful Mother's Day with your family. The food looks absolutely delicious.

You'll have to show us pictures when the bathroom makeover is complete. I think the colors are wonderful.

Have a blessed week!

Cathy said...

Great family picture! The food looks delicious. I too love the painted deck.

Cathy

Kissing of the Frogs said...

Oh what a beautiful family Rhoda.
Looks like you have a wonderful time.
Come on over for my giveaway.
Hugs,
Rose

Sue said...

Rhoda,
What a beautiful family you have. Looks like a good time was had by all.
Have fun helping your Mom with her decorating project. It looks like you came up with a good solution.
Hugs,
Sue

Unknown said...

Oh how I have missed this blog! It is wonderful to be back blogging! Just wanted to pop in and say hello!
Hugs,
Robyn

Anonymous said...

Rhoda, How do you all stay so slim eating such delicious food??
Your sisters yard is gorgeous and what a sweet doggie!
Great pic of y'all and be sure you post a before and after pic of Mom's bath. Great choices! Mary

Donna Lynn said...

Your whole family is just beautiful! How wonderful to have such a fun filled day with the people you love, and the food! WOW! Wish I could take a nibble, my tummy is growling now...

Bless you!
Donna Lynn

Betty Jo said...

How beautiful you all are! Yummy! If I ever need a drool I can count on your blog to help me!! xoxo

Donna, The Decorated House said...

Hey Rhoda~
Lovely picture of your mom with her girls.
I always love seeing your sis' backyard. It's one of my favorites.
Donna

Anonymous said...

What a lovely photo of the "three generations"---how precious. The food looked so yummy. We had cold weather and lots of wind (Missouri), but no rain. It was a perfect day, anyway, as I was with my family, too. Thanks for your great photos.

Nancy Hood said...

Rhoda, I would love the recipe {or what you can remember of it} of the kabobs!! They look delicious and I've never gotten brave enough to try~although, it should be easy :)

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous girls you all are!
What a wonderful Mother's Day you had - and the food!!
Yuuuuuuuuuuuumy!
Your sister's yard is beautiful - and the doggie is a love. Thank you for sharing your sweet family with us Rhoda. Miss you!
xo,
Kim

Rue said...

Rhoda,

I'm so sorry! It was Judy at Gracious Southern Living! I corrected it. Forgive me? I seem to ask that of you a lot, don't I?

Thank you for your sweet words about the farmhouse. I'm really fretting over it, much more than an normal person should. I eat sleep and drink that house. Anyway, thank you :)

hugs,
rue