Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Tanning Talk!

Do you tan? Fake or real?


Remember those days of being a teenager and baking in the sun, covered with Hawaiian Tropic dark tanning oil or baby oil with iodine (what were we thinking?). No sunscreen in those at all. Sunscreen wasn't even in our vocabulary then. We spent plenty of Saturdays at the beach when I was a teen in college in Florida and I can remember being obsessed with laying out in the sun, just laying there baking and it was SO hot. Oh my, the years I did that are just crazy, but honestly I don't think we knew better at the time. I have since learned the hazards of tanning....
I do not tan at all anymore (on purpose anyway), except when I'm at the beach and put on a lot of sunscreen. I'll sit out a bit in the sun, but do not let myself burn and get minimal sun on myself and I cover my face with a hat and sunscreen all the time when I'm out at the beach. I'm not so good about doing it around my house when I'm outside, but I really need to do it all the time. I've already had skin cancer about 15 years ago and hope that I don't have more, although odds are I will. My fair-skin dad has battled with skin cancer for years and I totally have his coloring. So, it's sunless for me these days. Luckily, the days of Q-T, the orange stuff (remember that?) is long gone and there are many great products out there.

My lily white legs are begging for me to get out the self-tanner right about now and everyone will thank me when I do it. Putting on shorts really calls attention to how white I am and that bit of color really helps a lot. I bought some Loreal Sublime self-tanner last year and liked it for the most part, but I thought I'd see what y'all are using, cause I know most of you probably do the same thing I do...self-tanner all the way! I don't like to spend a ton on self-tanner, so let's share some recommendations on thrifty finds, as well as the more expensive ones, if you like those too. I'm breaking out the self-tanner this week since I'm going to the beach, gotta have some color.
Any tips on keeping the streaking to a minimum? I know what I usually do....exfoliate, slather with lotion, then put on the self-tanner! The knees and ankles are the worst parts to get streak-free for me.

How about it? Are you ready for shorts, got your tan on lately??

Stumble Upon Toolbar

38 friends stopped by:

MotherHen said...

Hey Rhoda,
I have been using self tanners since I moved up here to TN, when we lived in FL I kept a nice color(I've got olive tone skin), but since the move I've had to self tan. I like using Jergens Natural Glow Daily Moisturizer & as for streaking I make sure I rub it in real good. I have never had streaks. You won't notice color right away but, for me at least, by that evening or the next morning I notice a little color & the more I use it the more color I get. I can't remember how much it is but it's not expensive!!
Gretchen (http://www.xanga.com/MotherHen1966)

Maureen said...

I love self tanners too and they have come a long way. Check out my vacation pix on my blog and you will see the results I get from a bit of sun-through-the sunscreen and my handy-dandy micro-mist self tanner from Neutrogena..I prefer this over all. This is a self tanner mist and not the spray-on color. I use their gradual self tanner/moisturizer for faces. My dermatologist recommends sunscreens that include Helioplex for the best protection, and Neutrogena has several of those. I use the 55 on my face and the thirty everywhere else. I also have a product called Kiss My Face, which is environmentally safe so won't harm the water.

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, already in shorts and I do have some tan. I am a person who lives to be outdoors. I love working in my yard or just relaxing on the patio. We camp, hike, etc. and we also have a boat, so lots of water activities - which are not good for avoiding the sun.

I am pretty fair, but I tan decently and I don't burn easy. Even so, I ALWAYS wear sunscreen. I have a bananna boat one that I like and Avon makes one actually for kids, but I love the way it makes my skin look. It's not greasy, but makes your skin look so moist. It's SPF 40 and that is what I use if I'm on the water, the beach or out for an extended time.

No experience with self-tanners, although I did try that lotion with a bit of self tanner last year, to keep the tan going, but I couldn't tell much from it.

I have a friend who swears by one of the clinique self tanners.

tina

The Tomball Three said...

I WOULD but I am terribly allergic to whatever it is that makes you tan. I tanned two weeks before my wedding and broke out in hives all over my body and my FACE. It was awful. I had to go on steroids to make them go away.

No self tanning for me. I guess I'll be white my entire life, which after that experience is a-ok with me!

Jen said...

I laid in the sun yesterday. It as such a nice day. But in the winter I will use a bronzer powder and hit my high points..cheek bones, shoulders, knees, shoulders...it seems to work. I also use the mary Kay self tanner....it works really good too. Just remember to wash your hands really really good afterwards..lol.

paperjunk-lc said...

I've tried the Jergens self tanner with good results. Last year I bought a 2 spray tan package from a tanning salon. Balm Beach I think. If you have a big outdoor weekend I thinks it's worth the extra expense. Where I work so many of the women tan and they get that tanning booth brown. I certainly don't want to achieve that but my legs are a scary white right now. So I'm thinking of getting a spray tan for memorial day weekend just so I can go to the pool and not scare small children!

Donna Lynn said...

Hi Rhoda,
I don't tan and I am too chicken to use the self tanners...I have seen some pretty horrible results!
I am also scared off by the chemicals in those self tanners...what is that doing to your skin??? YIKES! I went online and typed in all, natural self tanners, they had one on Vitacost.com, my favorite place to buy vitamins too, so maybe I will try that one!
Hope your week is truly blessed,
Donna Lynn

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

I haven't use self tanners since the orange smelly days. I would have to get tan FIRST and then "supplement" with the self tanners to get a more natural look!

But no more. My husband isn't a fan of tan, he likes my lily white skin so he would probably protest! However, in the summer when my face naturally gets a little more sun I might try the new tanners to balance out my legs so when I get in the hot tub at the beach I don't scare away the whales!

Happy day!
Melissa

Frantic Home Cook said...

Well, I'm old enough to remember not wanting to do sit-ups next to Tammy Simpson in gym because her orange Oompa-Loompa tan stuff would rub off on my arm. (Sorry, Tammy!)

What were we thinking putting that stuff on back then? I was a burn yourself with Baby Oil and Iodine girl. Yeah, that was a good idea.

Today, I try to remember to put on a little Jergens Natural Glow so I don't have a rescue helicopter beaming down in my backyard from the screaming-bright flare of my untanned thighs.

Cami @ Creating Myself said...

I use the Loreal Sublime & it works pretty good. Just about everything will streak if you aren't really diligent about rubbing it in (I like to use gloves while doing it so that i can take my time & not worry about my palms tanning). My #1 tip is to dilute it w/ regular lotion....about a 2/1 tanner vs lotion ratio. That really helps cut down on the streaking. I don't use anything but a bronzing powder on my face & neck.

Deserae said...

I will be reading this with great interest! I too am very fair and can't spend time in the sun without pretty much burning. I remember the days of laying out in the sun baking myself to a nice warm glowing color...but now I'm older and wiser!! LOL
~Des

Cathy said...

I am allergic to self tanners. I've tried the most expensive to the least, with the same results...itchy hives. I go to the tanning bed for 2 months to build a base and I'm set for summer. A few years ago my daughter used the spray on self tanner and it worked fairly well. Someone may have mentioned already, I've heard that mixing the self tanner with lotion works well.

Good luck!

Dawn said...

I love self tanner...you are right it has come a long way!! I just did a post about this on my blog...CaioBella!!

The Berry's Patch said...

Rhoda,
I've used self tanners for years and tried most of them out there. I get nervous about chemicals on my skin, so I use all natural self-tanners. They don't smell or streak. The best (by far) is by Arbonne called Made in the Shade. It has SPF 15 which I need because of my fair skin. The other all natural is Clarins. You can buy it at most department stores. However, Clarins is more expensive $30.00 and it comes in a small bottle. I recently read a poll online that said Arbonne was the best out there. However, if you want cheap, go for Jergens Natural Glow. I've tried Jergens and couldn't stand the smell. But a lot of people on the poll liked it for the money.

ocean mommy said...

Hey Rhoda!

You must have been on my daughter's blog yesterday! YES, we go to Hebron...but I don't think I know the couple you mentioned...we've only been here for about 18 months.

Thanks so much for sharing the tree information! I think we have a new project this weekend!

Blessings,
stephanie

The Berry's Patch said...

One more thing Rhoda. Arbonne has a great bronzing powder for your face and neck.

Sometimes It's Good said...

I use Jergens natural glow only on my legs because they are always fish belly white and also I don't like the smell either. That way it isn't so noticible to my nose. It works pretty well if you're careful. I like the one that takes a few days to build up so that it isn't streaky.

Anonymous said...

I stopped the, dare I say... tanning bed, two years ago. I started getting those ugly sun spots and discoloration on my face:(

So now I use Jergens Natural Glow for body and face. I LOVE IT!!!! Truly, it looks so natural.

Rose - Watching Waves said...

I've never used sunscreen other than what's naturally in my moisturizer and make-up. As you know, my skin is olive, I'm part Apache, and I tan easily. I love it when my skin looks soft and brown. In early spring, I use Jergens Natural Glow like so many others here and have never had a streak problem. Just gradually gives a nice, very natural, warm color to my skin.

Anonymous said...

I'm another lily-white girl here, and I've had to learn to accept it. Too many people in my family have a tendency to skin cancers. In fact, I am using a chemotherapy on my face now.

I don't think there is enough self tanners to make me look tan.

Anonymous said...

I use Neutrogena micro-mist. It is an airbrush sunless tan in a can. I lay out a towel on the bathroom floor and spray away. The first time I used it I didn't spread it. I just sprayed it and let it dry. BAD IDEA!! I spray it on and rub it in like lotion now. It works a lot better. The color starts to show in about 2 hours. It is a light but tan color. I really enjoy it.

Michelle said...

I myself haven't used self-tanners but when I read your post it reminded me of a little story about my husband's grandma. Now, Grandma Green is a sweet, hip little 85 year old who always dresses quite stylish and keeps her hair in the latest fashion. Well, she decided to try a self-tanner and let's just say she went a little overboard with it and ended up sooooooo dark, especially around her face. I didn't see her but I guess it was really something...she laughed and laughed at herself! Guess maybe her experience has made me a little gun shy to even try it! My skin is pretty fair anyway.

My daughter is going to the salon to get a spray tan so we'll see how that works. She just started going yesterday.

Have an awesome day!

Donna Kay said...

Ok - Ok - I'll be the first to admit.....I go to the tanning bed. I know, I know - and even before this post - I have been thinking that i don't need to do this anymore. A friend of mine uses the L'Oreal and loves it - I think I will check into that.
Slinking away....feeling very guilty!!!!
Donna

Sandi McBride said...

I'm a self tanner type of girl...I only burn outside...thanks for this tip...I love Loreal products...I'll have to give this a try.
hugs
Sandi

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

I was a baby oil and iodine girl myself. Always had a dark tan - sometimes a burn. In my 40's I was diagnosed with skin cancer. I have had skin cancer 4 times since. As soon as I was diagnosed, I started using sun screen, but the damage was done in my teens and 20's.

I don't use self tanners. Even with my sunscreen, I get a very light tan during the summer, from just being outdoors.
Hugs,
Penny

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

It's fun to see what all of you do, some do self-tanners, some do not.

Donna Kay, don't feel bad. I actually did the tanning bed when they first came out for about 3 mos. (about 20 years ago), but decided they were not a good idea either. My sister & niece still do tanning beds & I harp on them all the time! They are still not safe...no tan is a safe tan.

So, I went out today & got the Neutrogena micromist too, and just put it on, so we'll see in a few hours how it looks. I still have some Loreal Sublime and will use it up too. I really like how the micromist goes on, so it might be my new favorite!

Thanks for the tips, ladies!

xo,
Rhoda

Niesz Vintage Home said...

haha...Q-T. Ah yes, I remember the orange. :)

For years I would gauge how much fun I had on vacation by how good of a tan I got. OY!
But like you, I've had skin cancer, so don't tan anymore.

I really like Neutragena's sunless tanner. It comes in 3 different levels. I start out with the light and then move up to the medium(which is 2-3 shades darker).
I tried their Micro-mist, but the lotion went on more evenly for me.

Thanks for reminding me about this. Its been so chilly here, I haven't been in shorts, yet.
My legs are ghostly white and I need to get working on my fake tan. :)

Kimberly :)

Mrs. B said...

Love this topic, and it's so timely! I've got fair skin that doesn't tan easily, but I love the look of a little color. I used to go to a tanning bed, but am trying to be nicer to my skin, plus I never really liked baking in the tanning bed anyway, and it's expensive. I've been using the Jergens Natural Glow for just over a week now and it's just okay. Not great. I'm using the type for light skin, and I just barely notice a difference on my legs, plus I've got funny brown spots on my knees now. I spend quite a bit of time at the pool during the summer with my kids, so I'd like to find something that will give me nice all over color without being streaky.

Tiffany said...

I just hopped over from Blissfully domestic and am really enjoying your blog!

tiff

Donna Kay said...

Please let us know how the micromist works - I would love to have an alternative - it's just that white fat (on my arms!!)looks like Crisco and brown fat just look like caramel!!!!

BittersweetPunkin said...

Oh yes....I used NO sunscreen at all....just baby oil!...and then there were years and years spent at the tanning booth because I was short on time and that was so much quicker! If I knew then what I knew now!!
Hugs,
Robin

Anonymous said...

I appreciate the suggestions about the products that are more along the line of "naturals"--without the chemicals. What an appropriate topic and what terrific responses from your readers.

Anonymous said...

wow, this was a great post. Loved the comments. I'm going to look into some of the natural suggestions! Thanks for posting this!

Yes, I was a baby oil tanning girl myself. Can't believe we did that too ourselves!

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhoda

Great post so timely. I use the Jergens on my legs and arms, I don't care for the smell. My new fav. is Vasaline Body Glow. If I have something special to attend I go and get a body spray.

I too am blonde and very fair...I used to tan with the sun and tanning beds like it was my job. Truthfully everyone looks better with some color. I was diagnosed with Melanoma with a tumor on my back, and another tumor 15 mos. later. I have had surgery twice, radiation and but for the grace of God and a VERY good Doctor should not be alive to reply to this post. I have to be checked all the time... my Doctor tells me that I must have had 2 Guardian Angels because I did not catch it early.

It makes me sad to see that there are people still using the beds and laying in the sun...my Doctor tells me that I will have lots of company because people think it can't happen to them. I have to say I miss the beach SO much...we have such beautiful ones here in NE and it kills me that I can't enjoy them like i used to !!!

Thank you for this post,
Kathy :)

Zaankali said...

Wow! I was going to comment on self-tanners but after the last comment I have to say "what on earth was that all about?!?!" Someone has some serious anger issues. Do they think someone is really going to take the time to read that whole post?
I hope you are having a great day!
Smiles!

tupelohoney said...

Was that manifesto written from a wilderness cabin? Strange to think of all that lurks out there. ABOUT SELF TANNERS...I found a great one at Sally's Beauty Supply. It's called Skin Drench Instant Self-Tanning Spray. I am very fair and live in Fl and it provides a very real color. Price is 19.99 but covers entire body 3 or 4 times.

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhoda....I use Tan Towels. You can order them from Drugstore.com on the internet. They are sealed in little foil packs & are the size of baby wipes. You just rub them on & viola in three hours you got a great tan & no smell or orange hands. They are $20 a for a package of ten. The Tan Towel Plus extended last longer but all of them are good I have tried. Have fun at the beach! Bonnie

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhoda....I use Tan Towels. You can order them from Drugstore.com on the internet. They are sealed in little foil packs & are the size of baby wipes. You just rub them on & viola in three hours you got a great tan & no smell or orange hands. They are $20 a for a package of ten. The Tan Towel Plus extended last longer but all of them are good I have tried. Have fun at the beach! Bonnie