Thursday, May 15, 2008

Classic Columns

One of my favorite things to look for when I'm out yardsaling is columns and pedestals. Big or small, it doesn't matter, there are so many ways to use them around the house. They are so versatile and I move them from place to place all the time. Some are on top of my kitchen cabinets to lift things up, one is on my foyer table for the same reason, and the taller columns are used to accent plants and give them more presence and importance than just placing them on the floor. The pedestal above came from a yardsale years ago for $5. It's plaster and was already painted. I love the shape of it, as well as the rope detailing on it. It has moved around a lot over the years and now adds a little lift to the peace lily in the den.
In another corner of the den, this faux palm also gets a lift. I also found this shorter column at a yardsale, I think for the same price of $5.
This little column was found at Hobby Lobby at the end of the season a couple of years ago. You know when they mark everything down to 60-70% off? I scored this for about $7 on sale and now gives Mr. Bunny a place to rest in the foyer.
Smaller architectural fragments are great for table tops. Use them for display, as lifts to elevate something that you want to highlight and show off.

Another column sits in a little alcove at the top of our stairs. I painted the finial and the column sometime ago.
This pair of old wooden columns in the diningroom are my pride and joy and I brought them with me from GA. They came from the now defunct Lakewood Antiques Market and I will keep them forever. I did distress them a bit, although they were already old and beat up. I just added a little glaze to them.
Another little pedestal on top of my kitchen cabinets adds some needed height to a plate stand. Now, all that to get to this. My neighborhood had a big sale a few weeks ago, so after getting in from out of town late Friday, of course I had to go out in the rain to see what was out there. I spotted this very nice column at a house for $4. She pointed out the hole in the side, but I said, no worries I'll fix it. I think this one is fiberglass. So, I came home, put some heavy tape on the backside (the column is hollow, so I could reach in there), flattened out the tape on the inside so my patch would have something to cling to. The tape is already in place here.Then I put on that handy-dandy air-dry clay I told y'all about when I fixed the urn handle. Smoothed it out as best I could, but wasn't too concerned with it. Plaster of Paris would have also worked for this project, as you can smooth it out really well when it's wet. But, the air-dry clay was just fine too.
Then, I painted over it with one of my wall colors which was a very close match. Dry brushed over that with a little white primer to add back some white. Can you see it here in this pic? The hole is gone and I dare anyone to actually spot it! It wouldn't have really mattered anyway, but I like to fix things if I can.
Because I put it in the corner of my livingroom and changed out another plaster column that wasn't as nice. This one is really nice and heavy duty and has a pretty shape.
Columns are a great way to fill those empty corners that you don't quite know what to do with.
You can see behind the sofa, I've used 2 other fat round columns with a nice piece of glass on top as a sofa table. I have a small stereo, as well as family pics displayed here.
And there you have it! Another little project completed. I hope this will give you more to think about when you get out there and start yardsaling. Don't pass up those architectural elements that are so useful around the house. Even if they are beat up, you can paint them any way you'd like!

**********************************
On another note, I want to thank Judy from Gracious Southern Living for giving me the Arte y Pico award. Thank you SO much, Judy! I've added it to the bottom of my blog with all the other very sweet and kind awards that I've received to date. Several of you have given me awards in the last 3 months and even if I haven't mentioned them, I've been adding them with a thank you to the end of my blog, so scroll down and take a look. I'm so appreciative of my blog getting any of these awards and for all of you who stop by on a daily basis, I thank you from the bottom of my heart. I also have the hardest time passing these around and usually don't follow the rules, so please forgive me for that!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

26 friends stopped by:

ocean mommy said...

Thanks for sharing the ideas! I LOVE columns and have recently started keeping my eyes open for them. :) So this gave me some great ideas....

Blessings!
stephanie

Adrienne said...

Your columns are wonderful! Such a nice way to display anything. I'll think of you every time I see a column for sale. ~Adrienne~

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed your photos showing the variety of columns you have around your home. They are so beautiful and functional. I have some of the smaller (flatter) ones you pictured and have enjoyed using them in a variety of ways. I want that bunny you have atop one of your columns---I am a bunny lover, too! Also, the columns you have in your dining room are so impressive! I also would keep them forever. Great shots and super decorating tips--once again.

Valarie Lea said...

Those look awesome! I am gonna have to go find me some columns. :)

CG said...

Hey Rhoda,

I remember loving your columns in your old house..you've got a good collection of them going now.

I don't know how long you've had this blog background b/c I read all of your posts on my google reader but I love the lime-great color and very fresh looking.

Hope everything is going good!

PAT said...

Hi Rhoda, your columns look wonderful!

I need to keep an eye out for one for the back porch. I have the big one, that used to be in the living room, on the front porch this year with a basket of Portulaca sitting in the top. The top is hollow with a cover. I took the cover off and the basket fits perfectly. I have a photo of it on yesterday's post. It will be interesting to see if the plant survives! We have the worst luck, on that side of the house, for annuals.

I have a hard time passing along the awards too. I appreciate all my readers and enjoy their blogs. So, I've just decided to add the awards with thank you's to my sidebar. I started a new list for 2008.
Pat

Donna Kay said...

Rhoda - you continue to AMAZE me - I wish would have blessed me with creativity, instead of so much money!!!! (ROFLOL!!!!!!!)
I get so many wonderful ideas from you - now Saturday I will be scouring the yard sales for columns!!!
thanks

Deb said...

Hi Rhoda, first I want to say again that you have a very lovely home. I love all of your columns and the ways that you've used them. The one you fixed turn out as new. I guess now I'll be on the look out for columns they do serve there purpose well. How about this rain we're getting, I really need it for my plants they are growing and growing I can't wait to take pictures of them when everything is just right. Now at the same time I think we'll be getting a storm later. So keep watch and take care. Deb

Anonymous said...

All of your columns look fantastic.

I could use a column in our sunroom. Thanks for all of the ideas. I'll have to be on the lookout.

Unknown said...

Oh you have bummed me out--I had SO many of those left over after my wedding and... I gave them away bc at the time, I just didn't have a place for them. I so wish I would have kept them now bc I know i could have used them. I even have one specific place I can think of. In the words of Homer Simpson... Dope!

Sandi McBride said...

I love columns, too...I like them in the flower gardens to place my fairy's and angels, the big urns...I have one in my bedroom that pyewackit is sure is the pedestal we have him on, lol.
hugs
Sandi

Charlene said...

Love all the architectural elements! I have a few but now you have given me ideas on so many places I could use more.
Love your blog and thank you for your email reply to my questions! I hit Michaels yesterday and stocked up on Blackened and Blonde Bronze. Now if only I could find a round mirror like the one you have!
Tuesday AM is going to call me when they get one in ;)
Charlene

Anonymous said...

That is a great collection of columns, I must say. I don't have any of my own, but you gave me so many wonderful ideas of uses for them in my house. I must be on the lookout for them now. Thanks again for the daily dose of creative inspiration:)

Deb said...

What a great project idea. Your home looks lovely Rhoda.

Janet said...

Wonderful work on the column, Rhoda! I love the look of columns too, particularly old ones, but I sure have never found any at yard sales-- and certainly not for $4!
Lovely job!

Donna said...

Rhoda, I love all of your columns and you have such a lovely home to display them!
Congrats on your award!
Hugs,
Donna

Rue said...

I never seem to see these at yard sales, but I'm going to be keeping my eye out now :)

Thank you again Rhoda!
hugs,
rue

Carrie said...

What a great post. The examples of how you use the architectural elements in your decor is inspiring. Your project with the yardsale column was well done.
Thanks for sharing your expertise with us.

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

Another excellent idea!

Happy day,
Melissa

BailiwickStudio said...

I have a round table exactly like yours in the last photo! It was my grandmothers, and I love it. ::Jill

Essential Oil Premier University said...

I'm a "column" girl myself. I have them all. . . over. . . the. . .house. And I love them!!

Blessings,

Sher

P.S. GREAT fix job on that yardsale find

Vonda said...

Oh these are beautiful but my 14 month old baby girl would have a ball trying to knock one over. Oh can you just imagine...we'll save columns for when she is bit older. ;) Miss ya Rhoda.

Anonymous said...

Rhoda, I'm headed out to a rummage sale at a church before work, I hope I find a column!
I love all of yours but I noticed something I never saw in your lovely home before. I would love to see a better picture of the painted chest? next to the column with the bunny...please!!!
Happy hunting tomorrow! Mary

Betty Jo said...

You won't believe this! I don't have a single column. But, you've inspired me with your creative use of them in your home, so I'm going to look for one. I know exactly where I want my first one to go. Thanks for being such a inspiring friend!! xoxo

PS
I just this morning noticed your blog link missing from my sidebar. I must have tried to delete something else and grabbed yours instead. I fixed it! Can't be without Southern Hospitality every now and then, can I?!!

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

Rhoda I always love photos of your home and your creativity!

I have some columns made of old bedposts too...just add a big bit of wood to the bottom and one to the top, whatever size you want.

(())

parTea lady said...

Thanks for sharing all the wonderful photos of your columns and how they are used in your beautiful home.