Friday, May 16, 2008

So I Hit the Motherload of Yardsales

OR, how to spend $40 and change in 2 short hours.

Some of you know me pretty well and figured out that after that patio was finished, I wouldn't rest until I had it really looking good. And you're right! I had $40 stashed for yardsales and I jumped up this a.m. and looked through the yardsales in the paper, quickly spotting one right here in my neighborhood, one street over. Turns out they go to our church and I've actually met one of the girls at a Bible study awhile back. So, I spent my first $30 here and boy, was it productive.

This solid teak table and chairs was $20. The guy told me that if I pressure washed this, the natural wood would come right back out and all I have to do is put a coat of poly on it for protection. He said that teak doesn't stand up well in the hot sun, but I'm going to put this set under the deck. So, that will be a project for me to do when we get back from vacation. Now, that was a big score!
All this came from the same yardsale. Cute white shabby chic birdcage was $3, which I don't really need, but I will probably put it in my cottage guestroom. It was too cute to pass up.
Large iron piece was $2 and I'll put it outside under the deck somewhere.
Old vintage planter was $2. This will be a patio piece too, I think.
Old iron teacart was $3 and I'll do something cute with this.
Then, I went to a moving sale that I saw in the paper that sounded promising and oh my gosh, did this sale have a LOT of stuff. It was advertised as a shopoholic and Christmas lover and let me tell ya, it was. I wasn't really in the mood to shop for Christmas, so I only picked up a few little things. This nice iron plant holder was $1. I have a hummingbird feeder that I need to hang up and this will be perfect for it. The little birdie Welcome sign was $1.

And this pillow was 80 cents from the first sale. Of course, I HAD to have this...leopard print and MY initial!
All these magazines were free at the 2nd sale. I really don't need anymore magazines, but these will be great beach reading material and they were FREE.
I had just printed out some things yesterday and said to myself that I needed to find a hole punch to put them in a binder. And as usually happens with me, I find one at a yardsale. This was $1. Those little finds just thrill me, cause I would hate to have to pay retail for things like this.
Green sparkly birds were $2, brand new in the box from Homegoods. This is the only Christmas thing I bought.
And last but not least, a pretty Alabama plaque which my hubby will love for $5. It will go in his office.

My BIG giveaway post is tomorrow, since we leave for the beach, so come back for that! I couldn't resist showing y'all all these goodies I found today.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

44 friends stopped by:

Tiffany said...

Wow! You scored BIG at yard sales yesterday! I'm especially envious of the patio table a chairs for $20. I hope I get some of your good luck tomorrow!

Unknown said...

Ok, you were not kidding. I want to come hang out with you!

Valarie Lea said...

I am loving everything, well except that last one. Cause ya know I go for the other team. :)

Anonymous said...

Rhoda, you always amaze me with your fantastic yard sale finds. I love each and every one.

Tiffany said...

BTW, I had to write about your blog in mine because of your super finds. :)

Shirlee said...

Wow, that's quite a haul for 40 bucks. You definitely are the queen of yard sales. Great finds, all of them.

PAT said...

Hi Rhoda!
We're garage saling with some of the kiddo's tomorrow morning. Will meet them bright and early. I hope our luck is as good as yours! What a great find, that table and chairs!

What a coinkydink, the pillow. Of course it had to come home with you!
Pat

ocean mommy said...

WOW!!!!!

We're looking for a patio table and chairs, maybe I'll start hitting some yard sales!!! You got a GREAT deal!

OKGardners said...

You sure tempt me to get out to those garage sales again. I had sworn off going to them, because I don't NEED anything -However, with all the good things you find, I MUST get out there again. :) HUGE neighborhood garage sales in town starting Saturday. YIPPEEE (It's YOUR fault!)

Betty in Oklahoma
(Gettin' my shoppin' shoes on!)

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh,.... motherload is right. I think I could probably take a couple of those things off your hands and find the PERFECT spot for them here. lol Enjoy your vacation. Lynne

Kimba said...

Oh my goodness!!! I posted about my garage sale finds this morning too, but I think you beat me!!! What great things you found!

Kim

Marie said...

FORTY dollars? For all that??? Way to score!

Glenda said...

Rhoda
Did you ever score with your garage sale finds. I don't get to many out here for some reason.
I really like your chart with wheels it will make a nice plant display or table for entertaining.

Ciao

Glenda

Justabeachkat said...

Wow Rhoda! Great finds, especially the teak set. If you go to a boating store you can buy teak cleaner and stainer. You just rub it on with an old rag. It will look like new.

Have a wonderful weekend.
Hugs!
Kat

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh! You scored BIG TIME girlie! I am so jealous over that bird cage! And your "R" pillow is SO PERFECT for you! Woohoo! I love ALL of your treasures - the furniture, the tea cart.. so much fun! High five girlfriend!
xo,
Kim

Donna Kay said...

Ok - I'm ready now....in the morning - I'm hitting the streets!!! Only hope I can find half of the goodies you have - I love, love, love the patio furniture - that is what I have really been looking for.
wish me luck!!!
Bless....

Mandie said...

Wow, you did great!! Those were great prices too. Good job!

Judy said...

I'll say you hit the mother load! Actually, I think the table and chairs, birdcage and iron tea cart were meant for me!!! (ha ha)

Have a great time at the beach and I'll "talk" to you soon.

Judy

Rosie's Whimsy said...

I can't believe your neighbor parted company with that teak set for only $20!! It will be so fun to see all your finds dolled up and on your patio. :-) Rosie

Adrienne said...

You did great! I can't believe all you got for $40. And such wonderful things. I only bought 1 darling little table for my living room today. It needs work and paint and will be featured soon on my blog. Wish I lived close enough to sit on your patio when it's finished. A good visit would be fun! ~Adrienne~

Anonymous said...

Rhoda, You find the most amazing things, that teak set is unbelievable!!! You might want to try tung oil on it instead of poly. The teacart is adorable!! You will have your patio done up in no time. I may have to go out tomorrow! Mary

Unknown said...

Hi Rhoda,
You always find the best things. I love all of your finds. Hope you have a wonderful vacation.

Rochelle said...

Wow, you sure did get a lot of deals! I was looking at your birdcage that you got for a steal. I have the same one, and let me tell ya, yours was soooo much cheaper than mine. I wish the yard sales that we had here in Canada had such finds that you come across. HAPPY YARDSALING!
Rochelle

Anonymous said...

Girl you hit it big time. I have never got that much for my money. They must have great sales where you live.

Anonymous said...

I love garage saling too! You found some really nice things, that will also be useful to you. Thanks for your blog. :)

aimee said...

You find the best stuff! I love seeing all of your great yard sale deals.

Anonymous said...

I am greeeen with envy! I have been looking for a little tea cart like that for ages---and you got it at such a bargain! As I've said before, the prices around your neck of the woods are amazing! That patio set is a real find, too. Great shopping!

Darla said...

Woah, HUtGE score! I can't wait to see what the table & chairs look like cleaned up.

Bonita said...

That is really impressive! I thought I was a good yard sale shopper, but you have me beat by a mile. My favorite is that wonderful tea cart. All that for $40? WOW!

Michelle said...

Girl, you just amaze me with what you find!!!! I especially love your patio set - I really want a new one but decided to just paint and reupholster what I've got. My husband just laughs at me 'cause we rarely even hang out on the deck right now so he doesn't think we need anything else! LOL Anyway, YOU ARE THE YARD SALE QUEEN!!!! Have a great weekend :)

Donna Lynn said...

Oh Rhoda! What amazing prices and the things you got are wonderful!!! Wow, we need better garage sales up here, ours are shotty compared to what your used to, after seeing your mother lode, I may have to move south and quick!!!! HOLY COW!!

Hope you have a wonderful weekend with your hubby!
XXOO,
Donna Lynn

Melissa Stover said...

your patio furniture is awesome!

Wanita said...

You found some really terrific buys! I hope you'll share pictures of how you decorate with everything.

Have a lovely weekend.

Michelle said...

Awesome finds today, Rhoda! I can't wait to see what the new patio looks like when you add your new pieces. I especially like the Bear Bryant plaque. It'll look great in your husband's office.

My oldest dd and I are going yard saling in the morning after we pick up a freecycle find. :)

Anonymous said...

Rhoda, I would love to go yard saling with you. Love the tea cart! Donna

Becky K. said...

LoVe your finds!!!!! That iron filigree piece is so fun!

Becky K.

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

Good gracious, you scored HUGE!!! I love it all!

Dawn said...

I never find things that great...I need to yard sale with you!!!

Joy said...

Oh my goodness, you had a TRUCKLOAD of good luck finding treasures! Lucky you!

Anonymous said...

WOW! You sure did hit the mother load. Great finds and steals, I so have got to go yard saling with you:)

The Old Painted Cottage said...

What a great score! I hope you have a wonderful time on your trip and I can't wait to hear all about it when you return. In the meantime, Seas The Day..

oxox
Jennifer

Cindy said...

I can't believe that birdcage was only $3!!!!! Oh my...you could sell that for so much more!

Aliene said...

Wow! I just came across your blog and when I saw yardsales I just had to look at it. i love yard sells and the goodies you can find. I am new to you but I will visit again.

AverettLadyNana said...

Mercy that was the Mother of all yard sales! My daughter bought a tea-cart in teak at a yardsale once. It was perfect. DD left it outside two years and got bad looking. She got some teak oil from Lowes or Home Depot and it looks new again.