Thursday, May 29, 2008

Port St. Joe and Dock Fishing

One of the special highlights of our trip to the beach was meeting up with one of my best and dearest friends, Vicki. We've been friends since high school and love to catch up with each other as often as we can. She and her hubby have just bought a cute little house in Port St. Joe and we went over to spend the day with them. We ate lunch at the marina where they have their boat stored. The weather wasn't good enough to take the boat out, but we did ride around and look at lots of fun things.
The beach there is really wide and uncrowded. This is where you find the unspoiled beaches that are still left in Florida.
We walked along for a few minutes and I found a few seashells. There are no seashells in the Destin/Seagrove beaches and I haven't figured that out yet. Well, there are a very few broken pieces of shells, but nothing like I've seen elsewhere.
The crowds haven't found this beach yet, thank goodness. That's what they like about it and I can't say that I blame them. Port St. Joe is a quaint little beach town.
Peter and I on the beach.

Now, back to the Seagrove Beach area....my hubby really likes to fish, so one afternoon we decided to go over to a little area near us with a dock, so he could throw out a few lines and see how the fish were biting. They weren't biting that day, but I tagged along with him and took a few pics.
This is part of the bay.
Hubby with his fishing pole, waiting patiently for a bite. It just wasn't the day for fishing though.
This was a quaint little dock that someone had built at the end of a road.
And it made a very pretty photo.
Just down the road coming in here was a really pretty old Methodist church.
I loved the look of this arbor going in.
With a gazebo
It was such a pretty church.
The old natives in Florida who grew up in this area are all tucked back in the trees to stay cool. No living on the beach for them. My dad grew up in an area like this not far from Port St. Joe and Appalachicola. He has always talked about growing up and oystering on the bay. And he loves mullet, which is known for being a bad eating fish, but he just loves it. In fact, my family is going to go back to visit my dad's homeplace in the next month or so and I'll be sure to share that with you. Both my parents are Florida natives.
This house was tucked back in the trees right next to the bay where we were.
And this cemetary was on the same road. Thought it was interesting. This area is called Point Washington.
Another house on the same road, this house evidently was a homesite for a Brigadeer General.
The house looks very Old Florida. Nothing but a shack now.
Hope you enjoyed this little tour of more Florida sights!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

21 friends stopped by:

Tracy said...

Great pictures, I have enjoyed seeing them so much! Can't wait till we go down to the beach, we're planning on going in June. I can hardly wait! Your pictures are giving me the fever even more! haha...
Tracy

Anonymous said...

Rhoda, I am so excited. My family and I are heading to Cape San Blas next Thursday. We stayed in Mexico Beach two years ago and just fell in love with the whole area.... Where is the beach in Port St. Joe in your picture? The last time we were there we spent a day in Appalachachola and the Cape but did not explore St Joe. I loved the shopping in A;;alachachola...... We just love this area because it still is so unspoiled. I think we brought home more shells than our car could really hold!!!! We are looking forward to shelling again! Have a wonderful time. I can't wait to see your pics!

A Hint of Home said...

Lovely pictures. It looks like you had a great time with your family and friend.

Anonymous said...

I must confess, I prefer the areas of Port St. Joe and Appalachacola (sp?) to the Destin area. We tend to seek out the less populated beach areas. One thing I do NOT like though is vehicles on the beach!

I love the pic of the church.

Do you ever visit the Amelia Island area?

tina

Jenny said...

I love your posts and pictures. It makes me want take a vacation to Florida. I grew up in Southern California and have never been to the other side of the country but have always wanted to. Florida just looks so beautiful and relaxing.

Bo said...

Hi Mrs. Rhoda...With the price of gas blowing through everyone's wallet, it is really nice of you to share your vacation pics with all of us....It's really enjoyable to walk through the sand along the beach while sitting here at home under the A/C...LOL...You have a great eye for what makes an interesting photo-shot...Will tune in again tomorrow for more "fantasy vacation pics"...
Bye-bye, Brown-Eyes

Jen said...

You have been all over where I used to live. We were at Tyndall AFB for 4 years...lived on base and at the beach awhile...I loved Port St Joe and Appilachicola and of course Mexico Beach was nice to hang out at...no tourist.

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

I thought many of you would enjoy these Port St. Joe pics. It is the unspoiled part of the Gulf & I hope it stays like that for awhile. I hope to get back down there to visit my friend. We picked out paint colors to paint her cute little house & I told her I would help.

Andrea, that beach is Cape San Blas from what I remember about where we went. I'm sure you'll enjoy it too!

Tina, I have never been to Amelia Island, but have heard wonderful things about it.

Brown-Eyes, thank you for that note! I'm so happy that you & others are enjoying our vacation pics. It was fun to take them & to get to share with all of you. Thank you for coming by & visiting with me!

Rhoda

Anonymous said...

Rhoda, that is one of the most lovely churches that I have ever seen. It looks so serene and absolutely perfect.

Valarie Lea said...

I love these little tours that you are taking us on. It always seems that when I go down there, that I never get to go look at all the wonderful sites.

Unknown said...

Love the pixs! Thanks for sharing! I just love Florida!

Donna, The Decorated House said...

Lovely FL pictures Rhoda! I'm glad you had such a good time. (Doesn't look much like Daytona over on that side does it!? NO!!)

Thanks for stopping by and your sweet note.
Donna

Donna Kay said...

Thanks for the tip on the light bulbs, I will be trying that!!
I LOVE that church - that porch around it is wonderful!!!
thanks for the pics!!!!
Bless....

Anonymous said...

I so enjoyed your photos on your last two posts. The plantings, outdoor funiture and house colors are all so different and oh so beautiful! What great pictures of your trip.

Justabeachkat said...

It's fun to follow along with your vacation and see what you enjoyed while here.

Hugs!
Kat

Anonymous said...

Great pictures and a beautiful trip. When we lived in Florida we went to Destin every weekend.
Now I think Im more a mountain woman lol.

j said...

Love the photos!! We are in the deep south right now!!! About an hour from the beach and I don't know if we will have time to see the Big Water because it is a business trip. I can hope!

Of course I will add you to the Alabama Blog Roll! Got to support those Bama Bloggers!

Jen

Shannon said...

Do you happen to know the names of the antique stores you went to in Destin? If you just have the names then I can look them up in the phone book when I get there. Thanks!!

Charm and Grace said...

Beautiful post and the Spanish moss really does make me miss those beautiful old places along the shore... it's been too long since we've been to the Gulf. Those old buildings nestled back under the Spanish moss are lovely. Thanks for the pics.

Blessings,
Christi from Charm & Grace

Michelle said...

Such beautiful pictures, Rhoda! Thanks so much for sharing them - I've enjoyed seeing your vacation. I NEEEEEED a vacation, let me tell ya!!! We've been under so much stress after our son Tyler's accident. I joked around with my oldest daughter yesterday on the way to school that sorry, I wasn't gonna be around for awhile - nope, you could find me in a hammock on a beach somewhere listening to the ocean waves! LOL

Susie Q said...

I loved the photos...brought back memories of our days as Florida residents!
Now, do you always have to look so gorgeous!!? I mean...really! *smile*
You do you know...

I loved the photos of the church...so pretty.

Love,
Sue