Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Colorful Beach Cottages

Ya'll are in for such a treat today! I know many of you (like me) enjoy looking at houses and seeing all the different architectural styles that are out there. Today, we are taking a look up close and personal at beach cottages.....


Those of us who grew up in the South have most likely vacationed in the panhandle of Florida and enjoyed the Gulfcoast for many years. If you have never experienced this part of Florida, you are truly missing out on a huge treat. I even hesitate to brag on it too much, as the crowds are already capacity as it is, but this is one great beach to see and enjoy.

Seaside began back in the early 80's and has grown tremendously and now other developments are springing up and down the coast from Destin to Panama City Beach....Rosemary Beach, Watercolor, and Grayton Beach to name a few. You will see all sorts of coastal homes along here, with Seaside being the most colorful and popular spot around. If you saw The Truman Show with Jim Carrey, then you saw Seaside. It's such a picturesque spot and truly a developer's dream. Very pricey though, you gotta have a deep wallet to buy in Seaside or surrounding areas! I have always been enamored with the colorful beach cottages in Seaside, so decided to snap some pics of many of them this year. These all are mostly in Seaside, with a few in Sandestin or Seagrove Beach. Enjoy the tour.....I sure did enjoy taking them! I daresay there is not such an array of colorful beach cottages to be found anywhere else.








Is this not the most lucious blue siding and door? This is one of my faves.

Streets in Seaside.








Love this green house with the purple door, another fave.
Love this green one too.


This one was on the same street as our condo and was really a cool looking cottage.




Seaside Pavillion








Inn by the Sea in Seaside (above)
Did you get your beach cottage fix?! Which one is your favorite?? I marked mine. See what I do for my wonderful readers? I knew y'all would love to see these too.

There's still two more days of Florida to come so stay tuned.
Edited to Add: Please go and visit Melissa at The Inspired Room for more Drive-bys Around the World. There will be lots of inspiration to see!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

53 friends stopped by:

Anonymous said...

You did great giving us a viewing of all of these wonderful homes. I love each and every one.

But, I do believe the very first one is my favorite. I love that soft yellow with the pale green shutters.

Kathy said...

These are great! I love, love, love how all you bloggers are doing a drive by of homes. I will have to get out my camera and do so of Malibu and Bev hills near me where there are some AH-MAZING doors and curb appeal. I love the whimsical purple door!
Thanks for taking the time and the wonderful treat.

Steph said...

Thanks for sharing!
I love the peach colored house with the green shutters and window boxes and the starfish up in the window!

Pam said...

Thanks for sharing. I just left Destin on May 17th and I always love going over to Seaside to wonder around. It is beautiful.
Pam

Michelle said...

Neat pictures, Rhoda ~ thanks for sharing! It reminds me so much of Key West :)

Jill said...

**swoon** - So pretty. And don't you also love the cottage names? Some are so clever.

BittersweetPunkin said...

WOW!! Love those colors..how very charming...they are so cool and refreshing!
Blessings,
Robin

Zaankali said...

I would pick the same one you commented on, the green with purple door. I loved all the pictures! I see why Kat calls it paradise.
Smiles!

Becky K. said...

Great pictures. Those houses are so happy looking! Must be a very cheerful environment!
Becky K.

Tiffany said...

I love the green house with purple door. I don't think I would ever have the courage use such bold colors. I also really like the white house with red shutters. Thank you for sharing!

Adrienne said...

What fabulous colors! Like a rainbow. I would be happy with any of those gorgeous homes. I love shutters and I specially like shutters that function. My little home has shutters just for decor. ~Adrienne~

Donna Lynn said...

Hey there Rhoda!
WOW, I loved all the color on these homes, makes me want to go eat some sorbet!!! YUMMY! I used to love to drive around on Oahu and look at all the candy colors, it just fits for the decorating bill in hot climates!

I have been busy this past week and missed some of your posts...looks like you and Cat had a ball together, isn't it awesome when you are able to meet face to face with a fellow blogger!? What fun...
Hope the rest of your week goes well!
XO,
Donna Lynn

apple said...

Ro, I thought about u today while I was eating at the "strawberry hut" LOL! mmmmm good!

Tonja said...

I'll take the lime green with thepurple door and shuyyers, please. Just leave the key under the mat...I'll make myself at home!

I know you and Kat had fun. Wish I could have driven over for the day, I recognize some of the antique stores you were in. Some beautiful pieces.

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

Rhoda, These pictures are great! I enjoyed the tour of homes, immensely! My daughter had to view them with me! It looks like you had a great visit with Kat! You two could pass for sisters! ;)

Hope your week is going well!
~Rhonda

ocean mommy said...

I LOVE them all! Each one is so fun and I'm totally relaxed just looking at them!

Donna said...

Absolutely gorgeous! I would love to live there.
I can't pick out any one favorite ~ love them all!
Hugs,
Donna

Valarie Lea said...

Oh this is making me really want to get to the beach and we are not going until July!!

THE HOME THAT LOVE BUILT said...

Thank you! I want to go to the beach now!!

Blessings
Brook

Donna Kay said...

WOW!!! Rhoda, I feel like I have been to Florida - thanks so much for the great pics - you do such a fantastic job!!
The Beach Houses are just toooo much - I like the orange w/green shutters, the blue w/the blue rocker on the porch and the white trimmed in red. They are all incredible.
The houses, the sand, the water, the sunsets - it's all just beautiful.
I know you and Kat had a great time...
Can't wait to see the rest of the week...
Bless...

The Berry's Patch said...

Beautiful cottages! I can't pick a favorite. I would love to see the inside of these homes. Thanks for sharing.

Brandee :)

San said...

Hey Rhoda. Sandi sent me over here.

Yes, having grown up in the South, I am familiar with this part of Florida but haven't been there in ages. Thank you for delighting my vision!

Just about impossible to pick a favorite, but I was struck by that one with the tangerine walls and the deep purple shutters. I like the contrast of two rich and interesting hues.

Anonymous said...

I can't pick a favorite - they're all beautiful!

Debra from Bungalow said...

The pictures are great Rhoda! Thanks for taking me along on vacation!
How could I ever pick one favorite? The lime green, the gorgeous blue with the blue door & the yellow with red & blue all caught my eye. Looks like you had the BEST time!
Hugs, DebraK

Justabeachkat said...

Even living here, I never tire of seeing them. So cute. They just make you feel good looking at them. Great photos Rhoda...very clear.

Hugs!
Kat

Jeanne said...

Aside from being near the ocean or a lot closer than I live now I just love the colors!

Sue said...

Wow Rhoda great tour! I felt like I was right there with you. My dream is to have a winter home in Seaside and a summer home in Northern Michigan when John retires. I say my dream because when I start going on about it John just short of shrugs his shoulders ~ Hey a girl can dream ~
My favorite's are the Inn by the Sea and the Pink cottage. OK, which ones are yours?
Hugs,
Sue

Joy Jones said...

WOW!!! You are right! That was a treat! Hubby and I have a trip planned for that area soon, so we will be sure to check out that beautiful area. Thanks for sharing such lovely photos! ~ xoxo Joy

Mandie said...

Welcome back! Those pictures make me wish we were at the beach. We try to go every year. We usually go to Fort Morgan and rent a house. We wont make it this year though. I am glad I got to look at your lovely pictures.

Deserae said...

Oh what wonderful beach cottages! You can't help but smile when you see such bright cheery colors! Thanks for sharing with us :o)
~Des

Wanita said...

Thank you for the virtual tour of the beach cottages. They are all very pretty. It looks like you chose a lovely place to vacation.

Rosemary said...

Hi Rhoda,
Wow, I couldn't choose a favorite.
They are all so cool!!
They are really colorful.
Thanks so much for sharing,
Rosemary

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

I have been catching by reading all your posts and the wonderful vacation you had. I too love all the bright beach houses...mary

Sometimes It's Good said...

All those fabulous cottages...too hard to choose one. I'd take any of them! My husband just bought a lottery ticket...wish me luck!

raammartin said...

Wow, THANK you for all the beautiful pictures! I couldn't pick a favorite because they are all so pretty. It makes me excited about our upcoming Orange Beach vacation. !!

Glenda said...

There is not one in the bunch that I did not like. I loved everyone of them. So many ideas to get from them as far as color combinations. Thank you Rhoda for sharing these.

Happy weekend to you.

Ciao
Glenda

Anonymous said...

Well, you KNOW that I LOVE all of them.. I can't even choose. How delicious are these cottages? Thank you girlie for sharing the eye candy!

xo,
Kim

Anonymous said...

Impossible to choose, so lovely. They make me think of Key West...we just love heading down there for a getaway !!

Great shots Rhoda.

Kathy :)

Faye said...

I live in Northern British Columbia, Canada. Never have I seen such amazing Beach Cottages, since we just don't have the nice lakes for swimming, nor are close to the Ocean.
These are SO colorful and cheerful. I LOVE them!! I like the white house with the red shutters as well as the yellow one with the red door and blue shutters. I wish I could climb thru cyber to those beaches...they look as sweet as sugar!

dana's design studio said...

Wow...you drew me in with all the color...I love the purple pillars on one white home -- how clever and unpredictable.

You have enough photos for a book!

I love the eye-candy...like listening to good music, looking at color calms my soul.

Dana

Rosie's Whimsy said...

They are all fabulous. What a variety of colors! If I could get away with it here in the woods of PA, I'd go for the lime green one!

((hugs)) Rosie

Rose - Watching Waves said...

You are so nice to your readers, Rhoda! These pics are such a treat. I remember all the buzz when Seaside was first developed; the intent was to create a real sense of community with live/work areas, walking paths, porches to connect with the neighborhood, etc. I soooo love the bright, sunny colors! I also love that you don't see garages, you see HOMES. Love that!

Unknown said...

These homes are so beautiful, I love all the pastel colors. Each one is more lovely than the next. Karen

Unknown said...

Wow, what a gorgeous tour, I love how colorful and bright each home is, and homes by the shore are always my favorite ones. This is a beautiful tour. Karen

Neutral Dwelling said...

Wow, who could choose a favorite-- they are all so great!

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

I absolutely love Seaside and those surrounding neighborhoods, so I was excited to see your post today. If only I could magically transport myself there today...

I don't think I can narrow it down to one favorite, although the one with the purple door made me smile the biggest. So bright and fun. Thanks for sharing these with us! -Julia :-)

Vee said...

Such beautiful cottages and the combinations of color are fantastic! I love the yellow siding, with bright blue shutters and the vivid red door! Yup, I could move right in. Great pictures, thanks so much!

Teresa said...

Love seeing all the "colors" of the beautiful homes there- around my area it's mainly different shades of brown-
Thanks for sharing

Janet said...

Rhoda,

Thank you for a great tour; I just love all the colors and details. I have never been to Florida( or B'ham) and you have never been to New England, maybe we need to arrange a swap,lol.

Janet

Anonymous said...

Rhoda, those are fabulous!!! You know how I like color... I was going crazy over these!

Anonymous said...

these pics are eye candy!! and they really look like candy with all the lovely colors and trim. what a fun place to be/visit. thank you for the tour. jkj

Rue said...

Hi Rhoda :)

My favorite has to be the yellow house with the red door and blue shutters. So cute :)

I'm trying to catch up too, so I'm off to read more.....

hugs,
rue

Unknown said...

Love the colors! These are great houses - thanks for sharing.