Saturday, June 14, 2008

Antiquing in Sylacauga

Only in Alabama do you see tractors for sale at a yardsale.....this was on the way to Sylacauga, which in case you didn't know it is the birthplace of Gomer Pyle himself, Jim Nabors. That's just a little tidbit for y'all, free of charge!


Yesterday, I met up once again with Judy, from Gracious Southern Living. We met another Alabama blogger friend, Wanda, who has just opened the cutest antique store.
Just Vintage...come on in for a peek.

Wanda has been working very hard for the last few months getting her shop set up for customers and last weekend was the grand opening. Judy and I decided to pay a visit and give her a little blog support.
She's done a great job setting things up, making it all look pretty and inviting.


We both fell in love with this blue door, but it's not for sale. I can see why she'd want to keep it hanging here, it's so appealing in its chippiness.
Exposed brick in one room is so rustic and a perfect backdrop for antiques.

I loved this little iron base with marble top piece.
I bought a little architectural piece, which I didn't get a picture of.
And here are the 3 of us, Judy, me, and Wanda. It was really fun to meet Wanda and see her cute shop. I wish her the best with her new business!
This is one of the cute little cottages in town.
We went downtown and shopped in another couple of stores and the above pic was from the store, Mary Lee's (below).
She has some very cute clothes, as well as antiques for sale in the store. Very unique. Turns out she knows my husband's first cousin, who is also from Sylacauga, as does Wanda. Wanda graduated from high school with my husband's two sister cousins.
Inside Mary Lee's.
She has a thing for rabbits too.
And has lots of her family things in the store as added decoration.
We ate lunch here at the Marble City Grill.
Really cute place.
A chick's delight of chicken salad and fruit. I ate all mine...Judy ate like a little bird!
And we stopped by another couple of antique stores for some more browsing.
Cute marble topped iron table.
More downtown stores filled with pretty things.
This one had lots of monogram things.
And I just loved this pretty pear plate.

Wish you all could go with us sometime. There's nothing like a day out with the girls!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

29 friends stopped by:

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhoda!
Oh how I WISH I COULD HAVE BEEN THERE WITH Y'ALL! Everything looks so fun - the stores, the food, you cute girls..I know you had a great day! What an adorable shop that Wanda has opened up too!!
I drooled over your garden pictures - you've still got your awesome green thumb!!
Love ya,
Kim

Happy@Home said...

Hi Rhoda,
What an interesting look you gave us at Gomer Pyle's birthplace.
It sure looks like you had a fun day.
You do such a good job with your blog. As a newbie I was wondering whether you might be able to tell me how I can make my photos "clickable". I'm sure it's not difficult, but I have no clue how. If you could enlighten me I would be so grateful.
Thanks and have a great weekend.
Kim

Wanda @ Just Vintage said...

You got the pictures up! They look so nice. It was so much fun meeting you and Judy. I'm really looking forward to the next time.

I'm usually number 79 on your list of comments and always decide to wait until the next post. Then I'm number 83 and wait again. I can't believe I'm so early this time! Daisy Kim popped over is how I knew you'd posted. ;-)

Didn't I tell you to cut the picture of us off at the neck? Ummmm.... why is my body showing? You and Judy look just fine, but....is that little round thing really me??? Horrors!! One last cookie and I'm starting my diet.

Wanda

Unknown said...

you certainly do have a lot of fun dont you!

Great pics!

Dena said...

Hi Rhoda,

Oh I am just having a hissy over that pear plate with the polka dots as the grand finale to all of that shopping goodness! I wish I lived closer!

Hugs,
Dena

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhoda! Thank you for the sweet comment you left. It's always an adventure when I fly by your blog. I never know where you will be taking me. It's so much fun! I love that you get to meet some of your blog gals. I would love to have that chance one day. I will make it happen. Have a great weekend! Susie H

Judy said...

Hey Ro! Where to next? Just think of all the neat places we can visit that are just an hour or so away. You are such an inspiration, and not just in your decorating, but your sweet, precious spirit as well.

I'm so happy we finally got to meet and I'm counting on lots more outings.

Until then.....

Judy

Lyndy said...

Loved the pictures...especially the pear plate. Oh my word the chicken salad looks scrumptious...I would have eaten every bite too.

Have a blessed SONday.

Lyndy

Jillian's Bella Rosa Antiques said...

What a great day you had. I've been following Wanda's progress for months now...nice to see the great pictures of how it all turned out. Thanks for sharing!

Jillian

Anonymous said...

I looks like you had a fun day and saw lots of pretties. It doesn't get much better than spending a day with a friend.

Best of luck to Wanda with her new venture. Her shop is filled with lovely things waiting to go to a new home.

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Next girl day~ call me!

JeanMac said...

I love the tour. It's so nice to meet and offer support to bloggers. Those dusty green items would have gone home with me!

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

How fun! And that chicken salad looks delish. Now I'm wanting some for lunch today! -Julia :-)

Anonymous said...

First time dropping by your site and I know I'll be back often! I love the garden pictures and if I'm ever in Alabama, I'm going to check out Wanda's store!

The Berry's Patch said...

Hey Rhoda,

Thank you so much for dropping by my blog. I get so excited when I see new comments.

Because of you, I have research antique malls in my area and found a couple. Thanks for the inspiration! I'll be out shopping today. Wish me luck!

Tonja said...

Good thing you said that about the blue door...I was already thinking about how far it is to Sylacauga. I want to use an old screen door going into my pantry. Looks as if you found some great places! Full of great treasures!

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhoda:

Just wanted to say that I love your blog. You certainly have a wonderful talent for decorating. You've really inspired me to try my hand at DIY projects around my home, and actually, you're the only reason I've started going to garage sales (where I've picked up so many lovely things). I may be the only 24-year-old at the sales, but I'm loving it! Another thing I've started to do more of (because of you) is to cook!!! Cooking scared me and it's so easy (and actually, CHEAP) to get take-out here in Toronto that is was just such a no-brainer for my husband and me. But you really have a way of making everything look so simple, so I've started giving some of your recipes a try ... and mmm, so yummy! Plus, my husband loves it -- being cooked for, I mean. For the first time, I totally agree that men love the traditional wifely stuff!

But my most favourite thing about your blog is your voice. You are just so sweet and kind. I love it! Coming from an area where people are sarcastic and constantly try to one-up each other, it's absolutely refreshing to read your entries. It certainly makes me believe in the whole Southern Hospitality mindset.

Thank you so very much! I hope I'm lucky enough to be able to read your work for many more years to come.

With my very best wishes,
Jo

Rosie's Whimsy said...

I just saw about 500 things I would love to have ..... drool, drool, drool! Quite a marvelous day out!

((hugs)) Rosie

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

I have such a great time reading all these comments, so THANK YOU all for taking time to do that. Otherwise, I would think I was talking to myself!

Jo in Toronto! You just totally made my day with your very sweet & uplifting comment. I can't believe I had that effect on someone...so thank you for sharing that with me. I do love sharing on this blog & it really makes me feel so good to know that it's appreciated & that some of you are actually using some of my tips & recipes & do enjoy it all.

That's why I blog!! Thank you for coming out & leaving a note for me. Y'all are just the best blog readers out there.

Rhoda

Terri Steffes said...

Yes, I would have enjoyed this trip! I love the pear colored table and buffet.

PAT said...

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I must get to your neck of the woods, someday! What great shopping!

I loved the photo of you ladies, too.
Have a great week.
Pat

MomsTheWord said...

I loved looking at these pictures. I would've been embarrassed to walk around with my camera in a store...but I can tell you had so much fun! How could you resist some of her cute things?

Justabeachkat said...

Hi Rhoda

Remember me? I've been so bad about blog reading lately...not because I don't want to read, but because of my crazy life recently. Lots of company, which has been wonderful and then all the medical tests, etc. You've been a busy, busy girl. I've really enjoyed reading all your posts I've missed and seeing all your photos. It looks like you've been having some fun. So much eye candy.

Happy Father's Day to Peter.

Hugs!
Kat

SarahWhite said...

Good gravy...it's been years since I've been to Sylacauga! Do you ever stay home???? I love reading about your adventures...inspires me to get out there and check it all out. I'm still trying to get to Vulcan!

I am in love with that green painted furniture...totally gorgeous! What a fun day you guys had...thanks for the preview!

SarahWhite said...

Forgot to say...speaking of Gomer Pyle. My neighbor's daughter has an old childhood bed of Gomer Pyle's...they love telling people where it came from.

Unknown said...

OOhhhh! Great items!
Hugs and come for a visit!

willzmom said...

What a fun day! There is nothing better than spending a day with a bunch of fun chicks, checkin out the shops and enjoying a yummy lunch. I'm gonna call and schedule a girls day with my buds right now!
Wanda shop is so cute.

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

I am so jealous! Itr looks like a fun jaunt. Next time, I wanna gooooo.
Looks like ya'll had fun!
And you are right, there is nothing like good girlfriends.

Joy Jones said...

Hi Rhoda! I just love going on your trips! You take us to such interesting places and show us so many interesting things! I really enjoy your blog. Wanda's shop looks darling!! Have a great week. ~ hugs ~ Joy