Monday, June 16, 2008

The Decorated Patio

Before and after pics really tell the whole story, don't they? I have to show these first, so we can all remember where it started and really appreciate the pics I'm about to show you. The whole ghastly mudpit, eyesore that we call a backyard. Even my pretty little swing couldn't save it from the uglies. Then the lattice wall was added in March by my Dad. A slight improvement of things to come...and of course, I showed you all the patio project step by step here. And then it was time to decorate and decorate I did! It's been a fun few weeks since we got back from vacation.
I have been a very busy girl. Since I formerly had a porch and sunroom in Georgia, I had lots of left over things that I had packed away in the attic that I had hoped to bring back out for a screened porch one day, so it was nice to be able to use these again without buying lots of new stuff. This column and urn also came with me from Georgia, as well as the metal bunny. I've got ivy and impatiens growing in here. Still need to stain my new lattice wall, but I'll wait til it cools off a bit. It's been SO hot already!
The swing got a fresh coat of Java Brown spraypaint from Lowes. It needed freshening up anyway, so it was a good time to change it to brown.
Which happens to look stunning with my new outdoor fabric I picked up for this room.
I took pics on 2 different days and decided to go back and paint the swing brown, so you'll see in the next pics that the swing is still black, but I didn't want to retake all those pics, so just use your imagination. Tadaaa, the whole patio now! Wait til I show you what I've been up to. I've had a ball getting all this out and decorating our new patio space. We are really enjoying sitting out here now since it's finally pretty.
We just love it!
The swing sports a new cushion. This is a cushion I had in my sunroom and I found outdoor fabric at Hancocks last week (on sale too!). And, here's the big news....I sewed the cushions! Most of them anyway. My friend, Angie, let me come over and use her sewing machine until I can get mine fixed and we whipped these up in one afternoon. She sewed some and I sewed some and it was really very easy. I guess I did learn a little about sewing from my mama after all. I whipped stitched the back of the cushions together to finish them off by hand.
The little vintage planter that I found at the yardsale now holds a plant and some seashells. And iron bunny has been with me for a few years.
I fell in love with this fabric at Hancocks and it's really pretty vintagey fabric with a brown background and aqua, lime green cream & soft yellow. I backed it with another outdoor fabric in aqua that was on the clearance table.
And I found the perfect lime green piece also on the clearance table for a tablecloth. All of these are outdoor fabrics, so should wear well. I don't plan on leaving them out all the time though. I'll bring them in most of the time.
This bunny candle was a yardsale find from ages ago and I bought these citronella candles hoping to keep the pesky mosquitoes away. They haven't been too bad out there, but I want to try these anyway. I just picked up this set of candle holders at a yardsale over the weekend, so wanted to show you these too...they were $1 and yes, I was happy to take them. Love the leaf design on the glass. So you can see I have plenty of things out here now.

I found this beautiful iron and wood lantern on clearance at Homegoods and it's perfect over the table. This is the only accessory I bought for out here. This and the fabric is all I bought. Everything else I already had.
The 25 cents yardsale clock was painted aqua blue. And all of this hanging on the lattice was yardsale finds too from all my trips out there thrifting.
Table and chairs. I have added some teak oil for the table and chairs since these pics, but it really didn't make that much difference. They are sort of a blonde and gray mix and that's just fine with me. I will probably just let them weather anyway.
Here's a close-up of the fabrics. I just love them!

Those old shutters came with me from Georgia too and used to be on my parent's house. I may hang them somewhere, but I like them leaning for now. Wish I could put the hose away, but we use it too much, so it has to stay.
Yardsale welcome birdie and candleholder hang on a column.
Yardsale teacart and candle holder. The other pieces I've had for a long time too.
I have two of these bunny heads that I got years ago at House Parts in Atlanta.
And that cute glass and rusty metal butterfly from a yardsale for $2 hangs nearby now.
I found that pretty chippy green planter last year at a yardsale for $2 and I'll be putting some flowers in it too.
There you have it...the patio is decorated and we are loving it AND using it! I sat out in my swing yesterday reading and napping...heaven. Hope you got some ideas on how to beautify an ugly space of your own. It was SO rewarding getting this big project out of the way. Now on to something else!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

64 friends stopped by:

Southerner said...

Looks great, Rhoda! I have so many unfinished projects that I would love to have some finished ones done! We keep adding things when we find bargains (like my fabulous bath vanity) Enjoy it!

Anonymous said...

Rhoda, I soaked in every picture! WOW!!! You did a fabulous job, it's good to see that you can having such a stunning outdoor room on a yard sale budget! My husband is about to build me a pergola, so I'm always looking at outdoor rooms for inspiration. I will be shopping yard sales as well!

You did a fabulous job!

pammiejo said...

I like it! You've done a great job and I especially like it that you have recycled other people's junk into useful, eye-catching beauty for you. You inspire me to keep at it!

lindaharre said...

What a cute "rescued space"....you gotta love it! We did something similar under our deck, but use it mostly for the grandkids:D Really cute.......enjoy!

Bo said...

You have a great eye for cool, soothing fabric colors....the decor just beckons one into your "new" room with so many pretties to look at. Enjoy!
:-) Brown-Eyes

Tanya said...

I love that fabric on your swing cushion. I also happen to love before and after photos. Great job..so charming and inviting.

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

That looks fablous, Rhoda. I am still dealing with my ugly space in my den. If my sis in laws mom doesnt come through, as I told you, I am calling you! It will be "SOS"!

It looks great! VEry inspirational. I love looking at other peoples ideas!

Marie said...

Your patio looks GREAT! We recently had a screened in porch put on our house and we love it. Not nearly as charming as a patio would be...but we are gnat free! I love the fabric you used on your cushions. Gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

The patio looks terrific! I really like the lantern over the table. You're so talented and have such a great eye for detail.

Janet said...

Great job Rhoda: makes me want a good book and a glass of lemonade.

Janet

Debra from Bungalow said...

I've been awaiting this big reveal! Another awesome project...it looks wonderful & like the best place to be in the shade!
You sewed, woohoooo! The fabrics are so pretty ! Good job!

I really like what you did with the black stand with the shells in it!

Can you put a long extension hose from the spigot to the cart? If so you could move the hose cart to another spot & just have that piece of hose showing.....or maybe you could hide it with a little table......

Love it all, Hugs, DebraK

Debra from Bungalow said...

Me again...I meant hide it under a table or behind some shutters or lattice, ok that's enough

Anonymous said...

Nice job Rhoda, now all your cute little bunnies have a home.

We use the OFF lanterns for the pesky mosquitoes and they work GREAT..citronella just does not do the trick !!

Enjoy your new space,
Kathy :)

Anonymous said...

Good morning to you Miss Rhoda! As always love the post and your porch came out just beautiful. You find some of the neatest stuff, Susie H

Gone said...

So very nice!! I just love seeing what everyone has done to "pretty" up their homes - inside and out!! You did an awesome job!

~Blessings,
Jan

Darla said...

Your under the deck area is my favorite post of yours. Infact I have it linked in a blog article I wrote for Blissfully D (that should be out this week or next ;)

The Nester said...

my favorite is the porch swing and i love the color!

as usual, you do not disappoint even on your imperfect post!

Joanna said...

Stunning! What a great before and after...I love that you painted the swing brown, it really looks great with the fabric. You give me motivation to start working on our gazebo. ~Joanna

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

I love this. What a wonderful outdoor space! -Julia :-)

Adrienne said...

Rhoda, you made such a wonderful space out of a difficult area. It's so restful and nice. Thank you for sharing your project with us. It inspires me to keep working on mine! ~Adrienne~

Deb said...

Wow Rhonda! Everything is beautiful. I love all the whimsical accesories you used. My favorite has to be the candle over the table. The problem here is as you said (The Heat). I can't believe the hot weather we having. The rain I welcome with open arms but I'm afraid it may not last. All in all,beautiful job! Deb

Judy said...

You really did a great job on those cushions....but I knew you would! I'm busy working on painting and distressing my office desk (black) today...I'm hoping to get the office COMPLETELY done this week.

I ordered an off-white cotton duck slipcover from Ballards to see if the size will work for my parsons chairs. I remeasured them and I think they will work, that way, I'll have two different looks for the kitchen chairs. I borrowed a can of paint from my daughter yesterday that the builder had used in her house, looks great, and when I got home I noticed the color was Latte! I'm going to try that on the walls to see if I like it and I may go one shade deeper which on the paint strip is hopsack. I'll be sooo glad to get the kitchen done!

Well, back to the desk job. I'll talk to you later.

Love ya!

Judy

Jess said...

I'm going to have to take my time with this post...it's just lovely. I had some garden designers come this weekend and the one thing we all agreed on was the use of gravel in the backyard. I love how you used it with the pavers.

PAT said...

Looks like a wonderful place to sit and read a good book or just sit and enjoy!

I love the cushion fabric and the swing painted brown is fabulous.

Pat

Happy@Home said...

Hi Rhoda,
Thank you so much for telling me the secret to "clickable" photos. I truly appreciate it. I tried it today & it seems to have worked.
Your new patio area is lovely. I can't believe the fantastic finds you get at yard sales. Everything pulled together so nicely. You did a great job.
Enjoy,
Kim

Anonymous said...

Wow, wow, wow!! Great job. You really made this into a great space for relaxation.

I love it all, and I especially love the cushion fabric.

Picket said...

Great transformation girl...you have truly made it into your own outdoor comfort zone! Hope you get to enjoy many days out there...have a great evening!

Michelle said...

You did SUCH an amazing job transforming that space...WOW!!! I loved seeing all the pics :) Hope you enjoy your outdoor space tremendously...you deserve it!

savvycityfarmer said...

I'll be right over for a pinot noir!
Hello there dear friend....I've missed our chats...

What I'm about to share over at my post, I've waited two years to experience...Nic's wedding....

Here's a blanket invitation to share in our joy....

let's chat

Jane said...

Oh my heavens I want to go garage saleing with you! What finds! What charm! What a transformation!

Unknown said...

Hi Rhoda,

That's looks so good. I love the fabric, it's so great for summer. You have done a great job!

Paul Sears said...

wow - what a transformation. My dad would really enjoy seeing this - he's all about landscaping the backyard!

Unknown said...

Hi Rhoda,
The patio looks great. I really enjoyed your post before this on the antiquing too!
I have tagged you for a post on your 5 favorite things. Hope you don't mind!
Thanks,
Diane

Anonymous said...

Rhoda I so adore your transformation of a muddy unsightly under the deck space. We just finished an exact replica of your space.. Well not exactly finished but looking lots better. We did cave in, and had a lower deck put in. A big decision because of cost. We are so happy with the results. However. I must start yard and thrift store shopping. You are a great bargain hunter. I'm taking a lesson from you. smile!

Thanks for sharing your makeover, Jeanne

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Rhoda,

I know you are really going to enjoy your new fun outdoor space! Don't you just love to turn something with potential into something you love? Looks very inviting.

If you are bothered by the hose, I would do what one poster said... put the hose caddy behind those shutters. You can hinge the shutters together and make a screen of sorts. If they aren't big enough to make a screen that will hide it well, look for another shutter to add in the middle. All you need are some butterfly hinges (I think that's what they're called), and you have an instant garden screen! If you back the back with something like vinyl that can take the elements, you could even tuck cute things like seed packets between the louvers and maybe hang some fun things from hooks attached to the shutters. That could add another great dimension to your design!

Enjoy your new space!

Sheila

Justabeachkat said...

It all looks wonderful. Great job. I love the fabrics you found.

Hugs!
Kat

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

Great project renovation! It all looks wonderful!

Hugs, Rhonda ;)

Alicia said...

Rhoda, you are so very talented! You, as always, have done a great job with this space.

Free Art Printables said...

Oh it looks amazing! You did a great job. that had to be a ton of hard work, but it certainly paid off! Jen R

Finding Normal said...

That looks amazing! We'll be over this weekend for a little patio-warming party! :)

Anonymous said...

Rhoda, I love your outdoor room, you did such a fantastic job with all your "yard sale finds".
It must be so nice to have your morning java there! Mary

TinaTx said...

Your patio looks great!
Ya done good!

Anonymous said...

Amazing transformation Rhoda! :)

Joy

Sandi McBride said...

It just looks wonderful! You must have "visions", too, lol! Great job!
hugs
Sandi

Jenny said...

Your patio looks great. I love all of the decorations you've used. You always have greatest decorations.

The Berry's Patch said...

Hi Rhoda,

What a great little retreat from the house. I love your collection of bunnies.

Brandee :)

Unknown said...

WOW! Looks so good! And on such a thrifty budget, too!

aimee said...

It turned out so pretty!

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Great transformation! It looks like a lovely spot to enjoy the day. Love the shutters and all your special touches!

xo,

Manuela

Donna said...

Wow, it looks great Rhoda! I would love to sit and swing on the swing! I also love the iron and wood lantern!
Enjoy now.
Hugs,
Donna

Maureen said...

I always love seeing your work your charms, and remember how fabulous your screened-in porch was! No surprises here- it all looks wonderful! Living in the South, you really need those outdoor spaces. The new fabric is yummy!

Christy said...

It just looks great!! You did a wonderful job. I don't think I would want to leave it.

Classics and Country said...

What a wonderful little noak. Most people forget about the space under the deck. You did such a great job of fixing it up. You really did bring the indoors out.

Glenda said...

That turned out really nice.

Ciao
Glenda

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

Rhoda, You've been a busy bee! Your area has really been transformed into a lovely place! Thanks for showing all the pictures, loved seeing it in progress and now the finished result!

Happy week,

Melissa

Rosie's Whimsy said...

ZOWWEE!! Your patio room turned out fantastic! I imagine you and hubby will spend lots of time enjoying life out there.

Your fabrics are wonderful and I love that shade of blue you are using as an accent!

PP said...

I love all the accessories! The swing is lovely too. What a dramatic transformation.

Abbreviated said...

LOoooved the 2 long shutters.

Melissa Lester said...

Looks like all you need now is a glass of sweet tea and the latest copy of Southern Lady to enjoy a perfect afternoon!

bj said...

I LOVE your patio area...what a great job you did on it. I know you are enjoying the heck out of it....Have fun!
bj

Cottage Rose said...

You did a great job on your patio. Loved everything you did. I am working on redoing our patio, hope it turns out as good as yours. So in joy your new beautiful space.

hugs;
Alaura

Preppy Engineer said...

It looks really great! I am sure you will get a lot of enjoyment out of it.

American Mamacita said...

Just now seeing your "room" after Fred posted it on our site. So well done! And I agree that your swing looks better with the java brown (as I imagine it in the "finished" pix) :)

The accessories really make it, but the basics, like the pavers and pea gravel are great, too. We haven't "finished" our under-deck space yet, so your post has given me ideas...

Thanks for sharing it with us!

Kim @ oneprojectcloser.com

Pinky said...

I am SOOOO glad I found this...we have the same situation, except we DO have a patio under our deck BUT it is CRACKED very badly and needs to be replaced....I love this idea, it looks terrific! Thanks for the inspiration!!!! Pinky