Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Unexpected Bargains

I'm SO glad you all stopped by to see the patio! It was a lot of fun sharing with y'all, so thank you for that. I'm really excited to tell you that I sent in pics of my finished patio project to the Birmingham News and she emailed me to say she'd love to feature me again in the Spaces Room Redo section. I've been in there twice already and it was such a thrill to be in the local paper. I'll definitely tell you all about it when it happens in the next few weeks...... After being on the other side of town a couple weeks ago, I decided to stop by The Salvation Army and just see what was there. I spotted this pretty chair and ottoman, looked at the pricetag of $100 and said....hummmmm, that sure is a good bargain there, too bad I already have plenty of chairs and ottomans and don't have room for more. I peeked under the cushion and it was made by Sherrill, which is a really good line of furniture. I went home and slept on it...literally, woke up about 3:00 (which is not so unusal for me in this stage of my life :( I wake up at all times of the night) and decided I really needed that chair. It was a bargain and I figured out what I could do to make it all work. I really liked the fabric too. The chair and ottoman we have in our bedroom is too big for the space and won't fit in this downstairs bedroom where I had another slipcovered chair and ottoman that were smaller. So, I thought it all over and decided I would sell the larger set in our bedroom, move the smaller one up there and put this set in the downstairs guestroom. I know...confusing, but it all worked out. You don't often find such a great condition chair and ottoman for this price and quality. I talked to my hubby about my great plan and he said go for it. On a side note, I have some fun money that I've earned stashed just for me to use for this purpose, so I guard it and use it sparingly, but I thought this was a good time to bring it out.
Went back to the store first thing the next morning, and further purusing led me under the ottoman where a label was on there from Birmingham Wholesale Furniture, probably the most high-end furniture store here in town. The customer's name was on there, as well as the date (2001) when it was purchased. Good find. Told them I wanted to purchase it & a nice man helped me put it in my trunk with the lid tied down and I brought it home.

Where it now sits in our downstairs guestroom. And can you believe how perfectly it goes in there? And when I get tired of this fabric, it will be easy to slipcover. Oh, and I put the old chair and ottoman on Craigslist for $100 and got 2 calls the next day. The first lady came over and bought it on the spot. It was a 12 year old chair, so I was happy that it ended up being an even swap for this chair.
I was going to show you this room anyway, so now you get to see the new chair in the grandma room. I call it that, because this is where all the extra stuff ended up and it sorta reminds me of a grandma's room. This bedroom is downstairs in our house & both guestrooms really come in handy when my hubby's 3 kids come to visit or we have guests in town. Otherwise, we don't need them all that much, but it's nice to have the space. If I was doing this all from scratch, I'd probably use totally different colors now and go with something more cheery, like light blue or green, but it all still works together, so I doubt I'll change it anytime soon, since I already had most all of this. This is my reading chair...where I do my Bible studies in the morning. It's a nice peaceful place to get some quiet time. There's a dropdown in the ceiling downstairs (I'm sure to cover some heating/AC pipes) and so it created a challenge for dressing this window. I opted to just do one panel, since I didn't want to cover up any of the window with another one. It works OK for now, so I haven't changed it. The window fabrics from Tuesday AM are the only thing I bought for this room.
Gold mattelasse spread & shams, along with a Raymond Waites floral comforter cozy up the room. I originally started with this coverlet in the masterbedroom and decided to go with cream, so all of this moved down here & fortunately it went well with my old fabrics that I already had.
This is basically the room where I put all the leftover lamps and accessories from the rest of the house, but it turned out pretty cozy. When we first moved in here, this was my junk room & looked like a store. It took a few months to get everything cleaned out of here & ready for guests. That needlepoint pillow was a yardsale find & it really doesn't go in here colorwise, but I like it so much I threw it in here anyway.
Right side of the bed is just a simple round table covered in 2 tablecloths that my mom made for me, along with a $5 yardsale lamp. In fact, a lot of the things in this room are yardsale finds, so they ended up in here.
Cherry nightstand that I picked up antiquing along with the cherry bed that was my hubby's & they work well together.
It's a cute little piece. I have a thing for little antique tables.
Sconce picked up long ago with a topiary and iron finials.
My grandma's old sewing machine serves as a little side table with a lamp & accessories. This is one of two family pieces that I own. Our family didn't have much to pass down, so I treasure this and a side table in my livingroom.
You might remember the story I told you about the oak furniture in my cottage guestroom? Well, this is the 4th piece of furniture I got from the college girl for $50 (all 4 pieces). This is just an old dresser, nothing special, but it does have a pretty beveled mirror. The wood finish was really awful, so I took some walnut polyshades and went over it with a couple of coats & really improved the looks of it. The prints on either side of the dresser came from yardsales too (and were from Bombay).I've decided I'm going to paint this dresser a pretty olive gray green, so that will be another project on my list. The wood is not great, so it would probably look better painted anyway. I can't believe I've had these old pieces for 20 years now, but I have no urge to replace them with anything else. I think it's cute and it fits this room perfectly. Most of those boxes came from yardsales too, as well as the wicker & iron tray.
Right outside this room in the hallway are 2 of my favorite yardsale finds. These 2 bird prints are original watercolors from the 50's and I got them both for $15 several years ago. I still love them.

I'd love to just totally redo this room one day in soft blues or greens and creams (maybe), but for now this will do. I really can't justify buying all new stuff for this room when it serves the purpose just fine.

Hope you enjoyed seeing the Granny guestroom!
******************************************* Today is a very special day for me and my hubby, Peter. It's our third anniversary and I'm very happy that the Lord has blessed us with each other. We've had our ups and downs, but God has been faithful and will continue to be faithful and I look forward to us growing older together. Happy Anniversary, honey! Our honeymoon in St. Maarten, June 2005. I wrote about our wedding last year in an anniversary post, if you want to know more about us.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

63 friends stopped by:

ocean mommy said...

LOVE the granny room! AND WHAT A DEAL on the chair/ottoman! You got an incredible piece of furniture there. :) We have a Sherrill couch and dad has upholstered it several times. It's one of those pieces that last forever!

Happy Anniversary! That wedding photo is precious. May you have many happy and healthy years together!!!

Blessings,
stephanie

Nancy Rosalina said...

Beautiful room!!! Thanks for sharing it with us! Happy Anniversary! Hope you have a wonderful day and many more anniversarys together. Nancy

Gone said...

Everything seems to have fallen in place - right place - right time!! Love your pix!! It's all so very pretty.

Congrats on your 3rd anniversary! Read your wedding story...beautiful.

Tom and I got married one week after you did. We met on-line (me in Wisconsin - Tom here in Michigan), met in person, fell in love and married June 25, 2005. We now live in Michigan. God has blessed us, too!

~Blessings,
Jan

Carrie said...

Hi, Rhoda - I read every day but don't comment often, sorry! Just wanted to say that the room is beautiful and oh my, what a deal on that chair and ottoman!! You have such a great eye for things. I wish I had that gift!! Happy Anniversary!

PAT said...

Happy Anniversary, Rhoda!

The chair/ottoman is a fabulous find and fits right in your guest room.

Pat

Anonymous said...

Your granny room is the perfect place to relax and read. The chair and ottoman look like they were ordered for the room.

Congratulations on your third wedding anniversary! May you have many, many happy years together.

Gretchen

Janet said...

Happy Anniversary Rhoda; love truly is better the second time around.

I loved seeing your guest room and all your great finds.

Janet

Marie said...

Happy anniversary!

What a great deal on the chair and ottoman!! I never find such treasures at the thrift store! Your guest room is very pretty.

Tiffany said...

Happy Anniversary!

You got some great deals, I love those bird pictures. Your grandma's sewing table is gorgeous, too.

Debra from Bungalow said...

Happy Anniversary!
You got a new chair for $00.00, WAY TO GO!

Congrats on being in the paper again! Lovya, DebraK

Anonymous said...

Congratulations and Happy Anniversary. God does give us so many wonderful things in life.

Awesome deal with the chair buying and selling. And, the room looks wonderful.

Joanna said...

First I would like to say Happy Anniversary!

That chair was an awesome find!! It goes perfect in that room. I also really adore the floral print on the pillows you have for the bed.

Btw...That old Singer you have, I remember my mom having my great grandmothers. It sat in our hallway when I was a little girl, and I even remember mother using it to make all sorts of things with. Thanks for the walk down memory lane! ~Joanna

Frantic Home Cook said...

Ooh, love that room. I want to sleep there.

Congrats on your anniversary. We honeymooned in St. Maarten too! You're the first couple I've heard of honeymooning there also. Isn't it lovely?

Lettered Cottage said...

Hi Rhoda!

Kevin and I did our little video using a fancy-schmancy video camera and editing software. (Kevin used to do wedding videography) I'm not sure how you'd use a cell phone video camera...I have the $30 cell phone model, so I can't even take still photos! :-)

Adrienne said...

Hi Rhoda -
Can I come stay in your granny room? I'm a granny! Your new chair and ottoman are perfect there. What a wonderful place to sit for a quiet and restful moment. Or two.

Congratulations on your anniversary. I wish you many more years together.
~Adrienne~

Judy said...

Happy Anniversary my friend! David and I will have made it 5 years on October 12th....a LOT of ups and downs but I know we are meant to be together.

I have many of those sleepless nights or nights when I wake up with a brainstorm for my next project. Last night was one of those nights....I have an idea for a paint color for the kitchen if the brown/latte does not work...I'll tell you about it later.

XOXO

Judy

Cheri said...

Happy third year Anniversary!

Love to look at your blog with all your ideas. I love trying my hand at decorating and finding odds and ends.
Cheri from GA.

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary Rhoda and many more, I too was a June bride. My anniv. was Monday the 16th ~ seems like yesterday to me !!

Nice post,
Kathy :)

Michelle said...

Happy Anniversary Rhoda!

The chair and ottoman match beautifully in that room. Congrats on the good deal!

I have the exact same 3 finials! :)

Unknown said...

I love reading about and seeing all your bargains! The chair was a wonderful find!

Happy anniversary to you and hubby too!

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

Ohhhh Happy Anniversary!! God bless you two!

Justabeachkat said...

Happy Happy Anniversary Rhoda and Peter!

Great find on the chair and ottoman...it looks great in that room.

Hugs!
Kat

3CHEERS4MOM said...

I love a great deal don't you? The room looks fab! I hope that you have a Happy Anniversary. -Cheers, Amy

Bo said...

WHAT????!!!!....you have only been married 3 years and you have managed to build such a warm, inviting home for the two of you! You ARE a decorator....no doubt about it. Many blessings to you both for a long and happy marriage..My DH and I are on 40 years together...I always enjoy reading your blog.. :-) Brown-Eyes

Rhondi said...

Hi Rhoda
Happy anniversary. You look like a very happy couple.
That was a great buy you got on the chair and ottoman. Your granny room is very sweet.
Hugs, Rhondi

Jill said...

Love the granny room and what a DEAL on the chair. Worked out perfectly. And...HAPPY ANNIVERSARY to you! Best wishes for many wonderful years to come.

Deb said...

Well Im late Rhoda but,HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! And many, many, more. Deb

Deb said...

Well I guess I'm not late, I thought I had scrolled down to a different post. Silly me! I love your chair and ottoman, and it's a beautiful guestroom. Deb

Darla said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! Wow, you look AMAZING!!!!!!

Thanks for commenting on my blog, I'm so excited to be working with you and Melissa on the Blissfully D decorating projects!

Head on over to Blissfully D (blog) today I put a link to your porch on there. =)

Valarie Lea said...

Happy anniversary!!!! I wish I had the touch for decorating like you do. You make everything look so awesome!

Stacy said...

What a find! Don't you love it when that happens?! Great room, love the sewing machine. And Happy Anniversary!

~Stacy

Tracy said...

The room is just beautiful, I loved seeing the pictures.
Also, wanna wish you two a very happy anniversary...

Tracy

Michelle said...

Happy Anniversary, Rhoda & Peter! Wishing you many, many, many more happy years together!

Oh my, oh my, oh my - girl, do you EVER have an eye for decorating! I just love to see all your latest pictures...thanks for sharing!!!

What a great find that chair is :) It looks amazing next to your rug.

Have a wonderful week!

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

What a wonderful Granny Room! Love the chair and ottoman you snagged!

Happy anniversary - my hubbie and I are having our 29th in a couple of days...
Penny

Stacy said...

Thank you SO much for adding me to your blogroll! What an honor. I finally got mine going and was glad to return the favor. :)

~Stacy

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Happy Anniversary, Rhoda! Hope you and your sweetie are enjoying a very special evening. :-)

And what a great deal on that chair and ottoman! (I, too, was up at 4:00 -- 3:00 your time -- because my dogs have gotten their nights and days confused.) Glad you decided to get the chair and ottoman and glad, too, that you had someone who loved your old set and will enjoy using it. Doesn't that make you feel good? Everyone wins!

Congrats, too, on getting another pic in the paper. That's got to be a nice feeling having your hard work recognized. Great job!

Oh, and the Granny room looks so inviting!

Sheila

Anonymous said...

That's a fabulous chair/ottoman set! And an even swap at that with your sale on Craig's List. You can't beat that. Congratulations on your anniversary, from one June bride to another. "They say when you marry in June you will always be a bride...", my favorite musical quote from Seven Brides for Seven Brothers:) You look beautiful!

-Hayley

Nancy Hood said...

love the pics!! and happy anniversary :)

Essential Oil Premier University said...

Happy Anniversary "Kids!!"

Love the guest room. I too have a guest room like that. . . all my left-overs go to that room to "retire."

Blessings,

Sher

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary!

I love the salvation army store! I've seen it lots of time as I drove by, but never stopped. I had to meet with a bride about photographing her wedding a couple of months ago and she suggested I stop in after the meeting. She also said they have a half price one day each week. I think it's Thursdys, but I'm not sure. I found lots of great books there!

Jenny said...

I love the Granny room. The colors in there are some of my favorite colors. I'm thinking your Granny guest room looks better than our master bedroom. When can we come stay with you? Just kidding. I'll have to work on our bedroom. Happy Anniversary!

Cindy F said...

Wow, what a fabulous find was that chair! I love the room --thanks for the tour. Hope your anniversary was all you could wish for and many more to come.

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary! God blesses us in amazing ways.

Your guest room is fabulous. It is so inviting and I am sure any of your guests will find themselves welcome there! The deal you got onthe chair and ottoman is unbelieveable! What a lucky shopper you are!

Do let us know if you are featured in the paper again. I'll have to get my aunt to save me a copy.
~Jen

bj said...

I so enjoyed looking at all your pretty things. I do love your chair and ottoman. And, the Granny room is precious!
Happy Anniversary...you both look very happy.
xo bj

Bonita said...

H~A~P~P~Y A~N~N~I~V~E~R~S~A~R~Y!

You are such a mentor to me in the realm of decorating. I appreciate all of the photos and explanations, not just in this post, but in all of them. Thanks!

kari and kijsa said...

Beautiful room! Happy Anniversary!

blessings,
kari & kijsa

Anonymous said...

Morning Rhoda! Happy Anniversary! I really enjoyed your "granny" room. What a fantastic find; it looks like a new chair and works perfectly with your decor. I know about those 3am moments; I call it "brain clutter"! Looks like you keep pretty busy with projects (speaking of that I really must get back to mine now) but have a great anniversary - Best Wishes - Jeannette

Deserae said...

Love your granny room...the new chair and ottoman looks perfect in there!!! Happy Anniversary to you and Peter too! Wishing you many more years of happiness :o)
~Des

Unknown said...

Happy anniversary!!!

I love that sewing machine! So pretty!!

The Berry's Patch said...

Oh, you two make such a cute couple! Also, what a fantastic find. It makes me excited about my elephant chair that I will get one of these days. It's in CA at my brother-in-laws house until I pick it up.

Mary said...

Aww, that wedding photo is so precious! Happy Anniversary, and may you have many, many more.

Oh, and what a fab deal on the chair and orroman!
xoxo,
Mary

Deb said...

Happy Anniversary Rhoda. Gorgeous photo.

Kimba said...

What a fabulous deal on the chair. It's beautiful! And I just love the Singer table. My mother has the same one and it's gorgeous. Very sentimental.

Happy anniversary, too!

kari and kijsa said...

Loved your mantels! Thank you so much for linking!!! Beautiful photos!!

blessings,
kari & kijsa

Unknown said...

Happy Anniversary Rhoda! I hope you have many more. Great wedding and honeymoon photos! Love your room, I have an old sewing machine that belonged to my Grandma also but it sits in my garage, it's not in the best shape but I can't bear to part with it because I have memories of her using it. I always enjoy my visits here.

Nancy Rosalina said...

Hi Rhoda, I am passing along a tag...I am tagging you to post 5 of YOUR FAVORITE THINGS, it can be books, people, places, collections, just what ever. I hope you don't mind... Thanks, Nancy

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

Rhoda! Great Granny room! I love the chair and can't believe you found it at the SA! Great find! I love the dresser and my favorite is the bird prints! Beautiful!

Happy Anniversary! You were a beautiful bride! ;)

Have a great weekend! Hugs, Rhonda

Sheila said...

Happy belated Anniversary Rhoda! Our Anniversary was the 8th of June and we celebrated 12 years! I love the pics. you are soo talented.
Have a great day!
Sheila

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary~ you two are so cute together~ DH and I just celebrated our 26th. I love th ebargin chair~ and the Granny room~ S

JeanMac said...

Happiest Anniversary wishes and many more!

Anonymous said...

Hi Girlfriend!
I've been catching up on all that you've doing and it was so fun to do... all of your new treasures, your newly created porch, your yummy recipes, your new chair - EVERYTHING is just wonderful and so perfect for your home. You've been working so hard - and so creatively.. and it shows! Happy Anniversary to you and Peter too - you are a gorgeous couple and may you have a lifetime of happiness ahead. Love you!
Kim

Anonymous said...

You are gorgeous, Rhoda! I love that post! Love, Meme from Screaming Meme!!

Suzann said...

Miss Rhonda, first let me say that you are a beautiful woman and you and your husband make a striking couple.
I love this "granny room" there is something truly tranquil about it.
What luck that you found such a wonderful chair and ottoman and it coordinates wonderfully in this room.