Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Sweet Watermelon

I don't know about your neck of the woods, but it is hot as blazes here in Alabama right now. Is there anything better to help beat the summer heat more than watermelon? Cold, sweet, delicious, juicy watermelon.
Love, love, love it...how about you? This has been a sweet treat for me forever. I've bought 2 good ones so far this year at Walmart and will keep one in the fridge all summer.


************************************************
One of my blog friends, Dana, in St. Louis has just been featured in her local St. Louis newspaper with a new home design concept, called DesignHop. Hop on over to Dana's blog and check it out! I think you'll love the idea as much as I do. Dana has her own design business and she started this with a group of ladies who are interested in learning more about decorating. They all meet at one person's house for an instant makeover of a problem area in need of help. They all collaborate on ideas, come up with a plan and execute it on the spot or at least get the homeowner going in the right direction. I love the idea and will seriously think about doing a DesignHop here in Birmingham with a group of ladies. If anyone in the Birmingham area would be interested in getting in on this, please email me! I think it would be fun to facilitate and coordinate this and we could rotate and visit one home a month.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

40 friends stopped by:

Kristi said...

Looks refreshing! Our kids love it too.

Do you have any advice for a family (all born and raised in Chicago - though my parents are from Missouri, so I have a little bit of that culture in me) who might move to Baton Rouge, or the South in general? Are we in for some trouble as "Yankees"? Any tips on moving to the South? Other than get rid of our snowblower and down jackets?

pammiejo said...

I also keep a watermelon on hand most of the summer. I have 3 grandkids who love it and always ask for it when they hit the door! Buying the first watermelon is a sign that summer is indeed here!

Frantic Home Cook said...

Oh my goodness, girl, that is making my mouth water. Isn't it wonderful that some food that's good for us is actually something we crave? Yea!!!

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

That watermelon does look cool and refreshing...

The Design Hop sounds like a wonderful idea! I am going over to read more about it.
Hugs,
Penny

Anonymous said...

Love watermelon... just cant stand the seeds! Susie H

Anonymous said...

Up here in TN it is really hot too! So glad I picked up that "redneck pool" for my boys...you can find me floatin in it on my hot pink raft just about every afternoon here lately!
Design hop sounds amazing.....going over to read about it.
Headed to the fruit stand later for good peaches, tomatoes, and watermelon!

Tiffany said...

I love a good watermelon, but I'm not very good at picking them out. I usually try to find someone at the market who knows what they're doing and ask them for help. :)

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

Good morning, Rhoda! The watermelon looks delicious! Our's aren't quite ready in NC, yet! But by the 4th, they should be in full swing! I love the pictures from the antique stores you visited! If I were there, I would definetely volunteer to be your shopping buddy! This is my kind of shopping too! I love mixing old items with new, lends to so much character! Your black painted furniture is amazing! Thanks for the tip on the liquid sanding stuff! Oh, how I needed that!

Hope you are having a great week! Rhonda ;)

Deserae said...

We normally don't start eating watermelon until 4th of July but gosh yours looks so good I might have to buy one early!!!! LOL...Okay I'm off the check out this Design Hop idea!
~Des

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

I think I could eat an entire watermelon by myself! I LOOOOVE it.

Anonymous said...

sooooooooooooo sweet!
Is it terrible that I MUST add a little tiny bit of salt to mine? ;-)

Lovely photos sweet girl...
xo,
Kim

Anonymous said...

That is a wonderful concept, and I think it would definitely catch on.

I haven't had any watermelon yet this year, but you have enticed me.

Anonymous said...

Watermelon is at the top of my summer "yummy food list". They are rolling in to our stores right now and are just delish. Your photos were great.

Lindsey said...

I've gotten some excellent canteloupes in the last 2 weeks as well! I'm in Texas.

Unknown said...

Just got in from the store! I knew I would regret not buying a watermelon. Your pics makes my mouth water!

I did buy strawberries, bananas, peaches, and a cantelope. Maybe I need a second fridge!

Happy@Home said...

Hi Rhoda,
Thanks for visiting my blog.
I have always loved watermelon. I think it smells and tastes so good. It is definitely one of the many great things about summer.
Beautiful photo on your post today.
Have a great day,
Kim

Lynn said...

Well, I sit here in Alaska thinking "I am cold, I wish the wood stove was burning right now." It's 50. I know y'all are hot down there. My Mama lives in Wilmington NC and it's been 100 there already. This is the time I thank the Lord for leading us to Alaska as missionaries. Now we will be going south for a furlough in a couple of months. I look forward to seeing family, but HATE the humidity. We have very low humidity here in AK. We can get in the 90's as well, but we don't have the humidity. To that I say, "Thank you, Lord!"

The Berry's Patch said...

We eat watermelon all summer. It's so refreshing and yummy. I usually take out the center with a big spoon in chunks. It's so much easier that way. Then I put it in a big bowl with a lid and refrigerate it. Whenever someone wants watermelon, they take it out a few chunks and eat it with a fork. Is that weird?

Tonja said...

Nothing looks or smells as summery as watermelon to me. I used to eat a lot of but not as much lately. This just stirs up my appetite for it!

Love the idea of the Design Hop. What a clever idea!

Vonda said...

Okay my mouth is watering just looking at the watermelon. The bummer over here in Germany is that a watermelon in the military commissary is running around $11.00...is that ridiculous or what??? Argh...I may just have to splurge the next time I see one because my baby girl has got to experience WATERMELON for the very first time. Oh I miss seeing those little roadside stands in the South where you can buy one for $2-$3.00...and they're huge!

Anonymous said...

I wish I loved watermelon! Every one in my family does and we have it at every summer time meal, but I am the odd ball who doesn't like melons:(

I love all things sweet, but for some reason, not watermelon. Looks pretty though!

windycorner said...

Yum! Those pictures are making my mouth water. Beautiful! Agreed-watermelons are a staple during the summer. I love them so much I've given them as hostess gifts.
Holley

Donna Kay said...

I'm in Louisiana - need I say more - the humidity is thick you can wear it - "air you can wear" we like to say!!!
Those watermelons look so good - I was trying to lick the monitor!!! I LOVE watermelon - when I was pregnant with my 16yo - that is ALL I ate - I didn't gain one lb. Needless to say - I was a LITTLE chubby when I got that way!!!!
Bless....
Donna

Tanya said...

While I'm not a watermelon eater, I love how it looks. The colors really liven up dishes for summer. It's always a must-have for my husband and son. Very refreshing.

PAT said...

That looks wonderful! The temps are climbing back up after a few days of cooler, not quite cool temps.

We've only had one watermelon this year and it was from Wal-mart and very good!

I visit Dana, quite a bit. I'll have to read the post about the feature. Thanks!

Pat

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful idea! No, I don't live in that area. But I always wonder "now why didn't I think of such a thing." And this is one of those times! Thanks for telling us about it.
Brenda

Linda said...

Sweet watermelon...there's nothing better! Enjoy!

bj said...

Ummm, not much better in the summertime than ice cold watermelon.
That DesignHop sounds like so much fun!
bj

Alicia said...

Hi Rhoda,
I love watermelon as well. That is required for living in the South! Hope you are doing well. Can I put a link to your blog on my blog?
Happy Summer! Allicia

Mindy said...

Love watermelon!!! So refreshing! Really have enjoyed reading your blog...its is beautiful! I also love a cold salad on a hot day...
Blessings to you,
Mindy

Maureen said...

OH-so-good! We love watermelon around here, and it's actually full of nutrients. Here's a tip for your new find- use skim milk instead of whole or 2%-- froths up better and is healthier to boot! Those hand frothers do a pretty decent job!

Jillian's Bella Rosa Antiques said...

Hi Rhoda,
Love your blog...so pretty! I would love to go thrifting with you!

Thank you for entering my 100th post giveaway!

Stay cool!

Jillian

Rosemary said...

I know, nothing tastes better on a hot day. Not too hot here yet.
Have a great day,
Rosemary

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

Rhoda-I would love to be involved with Design hop. Sounds fun. I love to get ideas from others and can pass those on as well.

Judy said...

I can't wait to visit tomorrow and do a little junkin' and ohhing and ahhing at all our finds. In addition to the plant stand I'm bringing you, I might also have another little "surprise" (if I can get it in the VW)!

See ya in the a.m.!

Judy

Joanna said...

Stopping by from Susie's blog. I couldn't help but leave a comment when I noticed you were in the 'Ham! I grew up in Irondale and have family in Shelby county.

Love your blog and your ideas! I will be adding you to my blogs that I frequent! ~Joanna

Mrs. B said...

Hi Rhoda! Watermelon is great in the summer! I'm kind of funny about it though. My kids like it, and I never think I want any until I take a tast of theirs and then I have to get a piece of my own!

Nicole said...

Thanks for visiting my blog today. I think I've been here before, but was too chicken to leave a comment. Your like the decorating guru (not sure I spelled that right) OH, the watermelon looks sooo good. I almost bought one at the store the other day, but I'm not good at picking out good ones, any tips?

Inspired Kara said...

You can't have summer wtihout watermellon!! I only like mine with SALT!!

Susie Q said...

We're in CO and being from Tx....we're really picky about our watermelon and cantaloupe...to the point that if my MIL is coming up, I ask her to bring me a couple of cantaloupes...I'm trying the farmer's market this year for watermelon...I could eat it all day long!