Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Great Summer Pasta Dish

My friend, Judy, in Atlanta told me about this pasta dish, so I went online and printed it off and tried it recently. It's really tasty, very easy to make and a good summertime dish.

Recipe created by Jamie Oliver
Jools Favorite Saturday Afternoon Pasta

Olive Oil
1 red Onion, peeled & finely chopped (I used Vidalia)
1 to 2 fresh red chilies, deseeded and finely chopped
1 level tsp. ground cinnamon
1 bunch fresh basil, leaves picked, stalks chopped
2 14-ounce cans good-quality plum tomatoes
2 cans good-quality tuna in olive oil (I used white Albacore in water)
Sea salt & fresh ground pepper
1 lb. rigatoni or penne
1 to 2 lemons, zest & juice
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Heat a splash of olive oil in a heavy-bottomed pan & cook the onion, chili, cinnamon & basil stalks on med.-low heat for 5 min. until onion has softened. Turn up the heat & add your tomatoes, tuna & a good pinch of salt and pepper. Break the tomatoes up using the back of a spoon, then bring to a boil and simmer for about 20 minutes. Taste for seasoning.

Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a pan of salted boiling water according to directions. Drain pasta in colander.

Toss the pasta into the tuna and tomato sauce with torn basil leaves, a glug of olive oil, the lemon zest, juice & parmesan & mix together well.


I put pasta in each bowl, then added the tomato/tuna mixture, adding the zest and lemon juice and parmesan to each dish. It was really tasty & we both enjoyed it. Definitely a keeper! Love the flavor of the cinnamon (which I have never seen in a pasta dish) and the lemon. Delish!

Hope you enjoy! I'll see you later this week and will have to catch up with all of you then.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

19 friends stopped by:

Joanna said...

Looks yummy! I love Jamie Oliver...That accent is a show stopper! : )

I will def be adding this to try this summer. Thanks!

Maureen said...

Just a fly-by from me today-- glad to take a minute to catch up here! I just read back through and had to say that I LOVE going to the Atlanta Mart- such a feast for the eyes! Looks like you had a great trip!

Anonymous said...

Jamie Oliver has great recipes. Now I must have Italian for lunch today:)

Free Art Printables said...

Oh yum. This looks great and easy. I am going to have to make this, I think the kids will eat it! Jen R

Sandi McBride said...

I love new Pasta recipes...thanks so much for this...it looks scrumptious!
Sandi

Anonymous said...

Okay, now I'm super hungry. That looks delicious.

I've tried a bunch of your recipes and they all turn out delicious. I especially love your oatmeal, chocolate chip recipe. My husband loves it too.

Brandee :-)

Cindy said...

That sounds very good!!! I think the tuna and lemon would be a great combo!

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

Yummers! Yes, that does sounds delish!

Looks like you had a fabulous time at the market, I enjoyed your photos! Now, have fun tagging along with your designer friend and bring back lots of pictures to inspire us!

Happy day,
Melissa

Terri Steffes said...

Jamie is so cute!

This looks easy, fabulous and perfect for summer!

Anonymous said...

First, the pasta recipe looks terrific--another great one to file in my "to makes"! Second, I LOVED the Atlanta Market tour! I went a few years ago and just remember how totally overwhelming it seemed with all of those buildings and all of those floors. We stayed with a friend who worked in one of the showrooms--- she lived in a suburb. The traffic was horrid each morning for the drive in to Atanta, but we didn't have to pay for a motel room and we loved the extra time to visit with our friend. I recall aching all over each night after the full day of hitting as many showrooms as possible--but it was a great ache, if there is such a thing. What fun to meet Sparkle Josh! Your photos were great! Mary Carol has a store in Atchison, KS,which is about 1 hr from KC and she opened a new one in the metro area not too long ago. You would love her shops. Great posts.

Tara said...

Rhoda

I'm trying it, doesn't this look easy and cool on a summer evening!

Justabeachkat said...

Hmmm....tuna, cinnamon and lemon? I would never have thought to put them together, especially in a pasta dish.

It was fun chatting with you the other day. Can't wait to hear how your project went.

Hugs!
Kat

Unknown said...

That does look yummy...except I would probably leave out the tuna I only like in sandwichs because I am weird like that! great photos! So did you buy anything yummy at the Market...anything fun to show! It seemed you had a blast with friends and meeting celebs too!
Hugs,
Robyn

carolyn@simple~primitive~devotion said...

Mmmmmmmm! That sounds and looks so good!

Amy said...

That pasta dish looks so light and refreshing. Just a perfect dish for these hot days of summer. We are in a real hear wave now in PA, so this is something that looks really yummy that I will definitely make. Yum....Amy :)

Mary said...

You have a lovely blog. See me at my Xanga site:mrsgrovine.

Anonymous said...

Looks delish! Just discovered you today. Will be back in the future to see what you've cooked up!

Libby

Angie said...

I want to compliment you on the absolutely gorgeous monogrammed lamps you showed the other day. I want some!!! I am going to check around to see how much monograms cost. I have a purse I want to get done also.
I truly enjoy reading and looking at your beautiful blog each day. Keep it up! Check out my new blog at
thehappyhomebody.blogspot.com and tell me what you think. Spread the word!

Anonymous said...

Made this friday night for my husband and he loved it. ps:only 4 points on WW