Saturday, July 5, 2008

Home Grown Veggies

It's the first 'mater sandwich of the summer of 2008.....need I say more??

First tomatoes from my parent's garden, ours aren't in yet. It was fabulously good. The END.
When I was home last weekend, my mom packed up my car with fresh veggies from their garden. They have always had a garden as long as I can remember and there is just nothin' like home grown veggies. So I came home and fried up some okra last week. For those of you in other regions, you probably don't fry okra, but I'm tellin' you, it's the best. This is the only way I'll eat okra, well except for a little in vegetable soup.
They also grow potatoes and these are perfect for mashing.
Sauteed squash and onion....yummmmmm!
With a pork chop on the side...that's some good eatin'!! Don't you just love this time of year with all the fresh veggies and fruit? We sure do....hope you're all enjoying the holiday weekend with some great food of your own.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

43 friends stopped by:

Jen said...

We have our first garden this year...cucumbers tomatoes and okra...squash bell pepper and planting for fall sweet potatoes...I love fresh veggies....yours look really good.

Anonymous said...

My husband would have been at your door if he had known what was cooking.

I adore tomato sandwiches - just like you prepared yours. And, it doesn't get much better than squash and onions.

I saute my okra with fresh diced tomatoes and chopped garlic in just a little olive oil for about five minutes. It is so good - still firm and not mushy.

Vintage Whimsy said...

That looks delicious! Tomatoes are my absolute favorite thing to eat, well, besides chocolate! And I really miss living down South where there was fried okra. Now when I go home to visit I eat so much of it that I make myself sick!!

Debra from Bungalow said...

All I can say is "Dang, girl, that sure looks good!"
Nothing like good old fashioned home cooking...not fancy but oh so good!

Our tomatoes & veggies aren't ready yet so I'll just drool over yours, Hugs, DebraK

Anonymous said...

Well, I wasn't hungry until now. Those veggies look delicious. I hate to admit though I've never had okra. I haven't been around the veggie block I guess. We stick with broccoli, green beans and corn. That's the only veggies the kids will eat.

Brandee :-)

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

That meal actually brought tears to my eyes (a rumble in the tummy if I didn't have dinner almost ready, too!).

My sister closest to me in age passed away a few years ago. That is just the kind of meal she often made. Her hubby is from Alabama and that guy loves his okra!

Our corn was NOT knee high by the Fourth of July. Too much flooding and replanting.

Bonita said...

I just love the fresh foods of summer. Unfortunately, I must lack some southern genes because I've never cared for mater sandwiches or okra. I do, however, love sliced tomatoes from my garden. That meal looks like good old down home comfort food!

Anonymous said...

I know where I'm coming for supper! Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Darlene said...

Ooooooooo that looks DELICIOUS!!!! I love fried okra....I'm originally from Texas now in Oklahoma and love, love, love it and your squash *yummy*!!! I sure wish you were my neighbor with your cooking like that!!

Justabeachkat said...

Oh.My.Word! The only thing missing is buttered cornbread and sweet tea and some slice raw onions. Heaven on a plate!

Hugs!
Kat

oliveoyl64 said...

Oh man, home grown tomato samich AND fried okra. I never had a meal at my grandma's house that didn't include fried okra. She would even remember to "burn" me some, b/c I like em crispy.

You have made my tummy all rumbly.

Happy@Home said...

Homegrown vegetables are the best!!
Your dinner looks yummy.

Unknown said...

What time is dinner served? Do we need a reservation? Everything looks great!

mommyofmany said...

Oh, how yummy! Fresh veggies just can't be beat!

We're patiently waiting for our veggies to be ready for a feast. We're picking a few here and there but not enough to complete a meal yet. The tomatoes are close, and we've harvested a couple of squash and a few okra, and the beans and watermelon are coming along nicely. I can hardly wait!!!

Cottage said...

Rhoda,
Your sandwich looks divine!
We just planted our first garden this year and can't wait to have a sandwich like yous.

Love fried Okra, I'm so glad you get yummy goodies from your folks, what a great tradition to pass on plus it's REAL food, not genetically modified. It really doesn't get any better than coming straight from the garden.

Enjoy!
Melissa

Darla said...

Okay, that's it. I'm stealing your mom. She's MINNNNE.

Anonymous said...

Thos eveggies look sooo good! Susie h~

Natasha said...

Ohhh I cant wait to grow all my own veggies next year. That tomata' and mayo sandwich looks mighty tasty.
Yes I do love fresh home groen veggies,or even those from the local farms,
Natasha

Michelle said...

Mmmm, it all looks quite delicious! Hope you're having a great holiday weekend, Rhoda :)

Southerner said...

I got my first Roma tomato a couple of weeks ago, but my first Big Girl this week. It was sooo good. When we fry okra we coat it with cornmeal. Looks like you just fry it naked, is that right? What do you sautee your squash in? I have a yellow squash and zucchini plant and am getting one every 3 days now. We used to batter it and fry it but now I am fat so we have been grilling it. I would love to sautee it so please tell me what you do it in.

I have a friend in Chelsea area who wants to know about good neighborhoods for garage sales. Do you know any out that way?

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Yum Rhoda!
That looks perfect.
Did you notice I didn't take a single people picture... what kind of blogger am I?

Tanya said...

Looks great. There's nothing better than eating your own homegrown produce. I can't wait until I can start picking mine! Your dinner looks great.

Andi said...

Your 'mater sandwich is making my mouth water Rhoda...it sure looks yummy.

And your vegetable platter looks delicious too!!!

Kitty Scraps said...

I love visiting your blog, all your wonderful decorating ideas as well as recipes! I just wanted you to know I added you to my blogroll. Have a wonderful, blessed week!

Frantic Home Cook said...

Oh, you lucky Southerners! We won't have off the vine tomatoes for another month. Squash, okra, tomato and mayo sandiwches...I'm drooling.

PAT said...

Hi Rhoda

We're home from the lake today. Going back tomorrow. Hoping to find some "real" tomatoes! We have a couple of Arkansas tomatoes we picked up at the super market that are pretty good, though. We found a market at the lake that sells from the Mennonites. Maybe we'll find some "maters" there. Your sandwich looks yummy, as do all those other wonderful homegrown veggies!

Have a great week!
Pat

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

Oh, my goodness, does this all look good! Yum! -Julia

Lulu said...

i love fried okra and the only other way i will eat it is pickled!!

Anonymous said...

Smackin' my lips here Rhodie... does Peter know how lucky he is?? Well of course he does! That looks so delicious - nothing is like good old fashioned southern veggies, especially when they are grown by your precious parents!!! Have a second helping for me!

xo,
Kim

Rosemary said...

Hi Rhoda,
Looks great!!
Hope you had a nice 4th!!
Rosemary

Unknown said...

Your vegies look wonderful. I've never tried to grow a garden of veggies before but maybe I'll try someday. Our family biz is a fruit and veggie biz. Have a wonderufl week.

Jill said...

Oh my that looks so good! If I'd never moved south I would not know the wonder of eating okra. Yum!

Mama said...

Oh, holy cow, those tomatoes look good! Mine haven't "made" yet, and I can hardly wait!

Mozi Esme said...

Wow - this looks yummy! I want some. All our garden is producing is prickly Chinese cabbage and tiny but overgrown carrots.

Mimi said...

There's nothing better than a 'mater sandwich. Our tomatoes are late coming in this year. I can't wait for fresh ones from my very own garden.

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

yuuuuuuuummmmmyyyyyY! My kinda girl!

Unknown said...

Sounds like you have had alot fun lately! How great! And I too love Okra fried....just us southern girls. Me? Bloixi, Miss for me!
Love the toms too!
Many hugs,
Robyn

P.S. Come and stop by my blog and say hello!

Glenda said...

This is another reason I miss my parents. They use to have a garden every year. Tomatoes, green beans, onion, squash etc.. all fresh and better tasting. How lucky you are.

Ciao
Glenda

duchess said...

YUM! My mouth is watering right now. How would squash be for breakfast? Mmmm.

Inspired Kara said...

Girl you are speakin' my language! I may live in the midwest, but this girl's got a 100% southern mother. I grew up on mater sandwiches. I eat one about every day for lunch.

And it doesn't gett much better than fried okra!

Yes, that's my stomach you hear growling, and it's only eight in the mornin'!

Anonymous said...

Oh Rhoda, Tomato sandwiches are the best! I'm thinking back now to summers at my grandmothers on the hammock eating one of those. Yummo!

Lallee said...

Thank goodness dinner is cooking in the oven already. These pictures have me absolutely drooling!

aimee said...

Yummy! I haven't had a good veggie garden since we moved to the mountains. I need to do some reading and see if I can figure this zone out. Thanks for the inspiration!!!