Saturday, July 26, 2008

How about potatoes?

Thank you, Sandi at Holding Patterns for honoring me with yet another award. I really don't know the origin of all the awards that float around in blogland, but I've been blessed to have several of them given to me. I add them at the bottom of my blog & I'm deeply honored that you think so highly of me and my blog! I really have a hard time passing these on to a few blogs, so I usually don't do that. I recently passed on Layla's award to one other person, cause that one was really special to me. But I love so many of your blogs, it's just too hard to single them out, so once again, I'm not going to do that. Thank you so much, Sandi! I do appreciate it.

**********************************************************
Now, how about some potato recipes!
Here are 2 good potato recipes that I've made lately that I thought I'd share with y'all. I know with the low-carb craze going on, that potatoes are not on everyone's menu these days, but we enjoy our potatos and there really are a lot of ways to fix them.

Hearty, Simple Potato Soup

6 potatoes, peeled & cubed
1 med. onion, chopped
4 cups milk
1 carrot, grated (I chopped up baby carrots & added in with the potatoes while they were cooking)
1 TBL butter
3 TBL bacon grease (or add extra butter if you skip the bacon grease)
3 TBL instant potato flakes (I did not add these, since I didn't have any)
1 TSP dried or fresh parsley
2 green onions chopped (scallions) (it didn't call for this, but I added them)
4 slices bacon, cooked crisp & crumbled
Salt & pepper to taste

Place potatoes & onions in saucepan and add just enough water to cover. Bring to boil then reduce heat to medium and cook until potatoes are tender. Meanwhile, grate 1 carrot & cook 4 slices of bacon, reserving 3 TBL of bacon grease (I only added about 1TBL). once potatoes are tender, add butter and bacon grease and melt. Gradually add 4 cups milk. Add grated carrot, potato flakes, & parsley. Salt & pepper to taste. Bring to a low boil, reduce to low and simmer covered until time to serve. Serve with crumbled bacon & shredded cheese for toppings.

It's yummy! I know...not low fat, but can you say comfort food? Sometimes we need that. RECIPE #2:***********************
If you love potato salad, but want to do something a little different, here's the potato salad for you to try. My mama makes the best regular potato salad in the world, but this one has a different twist to it. I got this from the Swissotel in Atlanta (which I think is now called W, by Lenox Square), way back in the early 90's when the company I was working at the time had an event at this hotel and they served this particular potato salad. I loved it and we asked for the recipe which they were kind enough to share. So now, I'll share with you! It has just a few ingredients, but the combo is delightful. I don't have the exact measurements, so you'll have to wing it a bit, depending on how much you are making.
Swissotel Potato Salad
Red potatoes (I used about 10 for this recipe) cut up in chunks
Dijon mustard
Sour Cream
Mayo
Scallions (green onions)
Cooked bacon (crisp & crumbled)
Red onion (I used about 1/4 of a vidalia onion)
Salt & Pepper to taste

I boiled the chunks of potatoes for about 4 minutes or so, then placed them in a Medium hot non-stick saute pan with a little olive oil. They will brown and continue to cook, so do that until they are done and crisp cooked on the outside.

Then, mix up:

Dijon (1 part)
Sour cream (3 parts)
Mayo (7 parts) I used about 1/2 & 1/2 mayo & sour cream and a hefty dollop of mustard. (see above pic) A wire whisk will blend these together nicely.

Slice up about 3 to 4 stalks of green onions (or fresh chives), crumble up about 5 strips of bacon, add a little red or Vidalia onion, salt & pepper to taste, & mix it all up together.
And here's how it looks, all ready to eat. My hubby LOVES it this way and will scarf it down in no time. It's really a nice little twist to regular potato salad, which I get way tired of. Don't even talk to me about store bought mustard potato salad. After you have this, you'll never want any of that again. I made this for our 4th of July picnic and it was delish.
OK, enough of the bacon recipes.....

Happy Eatin' ya'll!

The newspaper decided to do a whole feature on me and my yardsaling. The reporter who covered the patio redo was really fascinated with the whole yardsale thing and talked to her editor about running a bigger story. It will run in conjunction with the patio redo next weekend since I used so many yardsale finds for my redo. I can't wait to see it. The reporter came out this week and we talked for over 2 hours, all about yardsaling and thrifting, so it should be a fun article. Saturday a.m., I'm going out to an estate sale where a photographer from the paper will follow me around taking pics of me doing my thang! Isn't that a hoot? I can't believe this! So, I'll get quite the exposure in the Birmingham paper next Saturday. You Birmingham girls need to pick up the paper on Saturday, August 2nd for the whole article in the Spaces section. Of course, I'll share it with all of YOU too.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

16 friends stopped by:

Unknown said...

The recipes look great Rhoda. What fun with the reporter! I'm looking forward to reading about it on here.

Yard sales are fun....I did pretty good yesterday, and decided to stay home this AM...not too many around going on around here! It seems that there are lots of them at the first of the month..so maybe next week!
diane

Picket said...

Morning girl...anything to do with potatoes I love!!! Congrats on the newspaper article...I am so excited for you girl! Hope you have a great weekend!

Justabeachkat said...

Congrats on the award...I passed two on to you too.

The recipes sound yummy. I'm one of those who tries not to have potatoes often, but when I do, I love a great recipe.

Exciting news about the article!

Hugs!
Kat

Anonymous said...

i will try the soup recipe for sure

wow on the reporter, interesting that yard saling is making it to the press nowadays, i hope the article is good and turns out the way you want it to!

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

I'll be sure to grab a copy... or two!

Anonymous said...

Oh Rhoda - I'm soooooooooooo excited about your newspaper feature! WooHoo! That is just awesome!!!! Can't wait to see it - big (((hugs)))!!!!!!

And of course your potato recipes have my taste buds craving them right now! Oh those look good!

I'm truly tickled pink for you girlfriend!

xo,
Kim

SarahWhite said...

mmmmmmmmmm...those recipes look divine. Great day for some soup, eh? I got to tell you, we eat your rosemary potatos about once a week...my DH goes crazy for them!! Going to try both the new ones soon.

Bummer on the tree...I cannot tell you how many times that has happened to us this year. Fortunately, no damage though.

Sorry I haven't emailed you a picture of the kitchen yet...not blowing you off...just too lazy to clean-it up just right to photograph. Remember all those kids I have running around...they are in the kitchen all day long!

Did you yardale yesterday? In Inverness by chance? I stayed home today...did too much damage yesterday. :)

Mama said...

Having newspaper background myself, I'm really excited that you're being featured in a full article! Any way we can access it? I'd love to see it.

Love potatoes and good potato recipes. And you're right about comfort food -- potato recipes are my favorites to take to friends and neighbors who need a little lovin'.

Now that you mention it, I think I'll do your potato soup recipe for lunch tomorrow.

Blogger said...

Those recipes look very delish ;)

Another way to try potato salad is with Gorgonzola Cheese...and the best thing about it, is that it's LOW FAT, haha ;)

Congratulations on the newspaper articles, that is so exciting, I can't wait to read them :)

Cottage Rose said...

Now that is a great potato recipe.It sure looks yummy. and congrats on your new award. How great that is for you dear friend. Have a great week.

Hugs;
Alaura

Jill said...

That potato salad looks delicious. Will definitely give it a try. Hooray for you on the newspaper article. Way to go!

Becky said...

Potato soup reminds me of my childhood. Anytime I was sick my mom always made a big pot. (As matter of fact she still does).

OldBagNewTricks said...

Rhoda, your recipes completely inspire me to peel and chop and bake -- add potatoes to the mix and I am in downhome cook heaven. Yum.

Jenny

tammi said...

Mmmmmmm, both these recipes look mouth-watering!!! Must give these a try.

Essential Oil Premier University said...

Congrats on being in the paper, yet again!!!

Oh, I LOVE Potato Soup. That in the winter time . . . nothing better :)

Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Blessings,

Sher

Unknown said...

I'm so excited for you! That's just plain out fun! You're a celebrity now!!!