Sunday, July 27, 2008

The Estate Sale

Since I had planned to go to this estate sale on Saturday anyway...for the photo session thing, you know...well, just to make it really authentic, I had to buy something. You understand that, don't you? :) Luckily, it was a pretty good sale, in a very nice neighborhood with a LOT of great looking things. I could have loaded up, but decided to keep it at a minimum and people were milling around grabbing things left and right. This clock was hanging on the wall with a pricetag of $20. I took it down & saw that it's from Homegoods, retail price was $60, so I did pretty good on it. It's a huge clock. I love clocks!
I moved the smaller clock that was here in our den up to my hubby's office and put this bigger one in its place. I'm likin' it!
This came from another sale that I just happened upon. They had some older things and I just thought this set of silver plated silverware was SO pretty. The whole lot was $10 and even though I don't do a lot of fancy entertaining, I think these will be fun to have around. I've only got our everyday set of utensils, so these might come in handy. I love those soup spoons.

There are 2 different patterns, but they can be easily mixed. There's enough for at least 6 place settings and some have 8.
They are stamped Rogers Oneida and I'm sure they are quite old. Get out the silver polish, Rhoda! These older pieces are so dainty.
Back at the estate sale, I picked up this cute bunny for $1.
And this birdsnest for $1.
I'm a sucker for bamboo things and spotted this folding chair for $5, so brought it home too. As usual, I'm not sure where it will go yet, but might work at one of the desks I have around.
Just wanted to share these finds with y'all, since I know SO many of you love doing this too. I can't wait to see the newspaper article next week and you'll be the first to hear about that too.
The master bedroom tour will begin on Tuesday, with Chester in his honorable place!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

44 friends stopped by:

Anonymous said...

Love estate sales!!! Looks like you have some graet finds. I think digging for treasure is a lot more fulfilling than going to the store iwth a wad of cash...don't you?

Blessings,
Libby

Anonymous said...

Of course you had to buy something. My son would love that big clock. He has one in his dining room.

Rue said...

Good morning Rhoda :)

I've missed so much!
I love your laundry room and it was great seeing more pictures of it. The Jazz house looks like a really fun time.

You did an excellent job for your first client! It looks so cozy now :)

I'm so sorry you lost that tree.

I love your new treasures, especially that chair! Very cute :)

I hope you have a wonderful Sunday!
hugs,
rue

Gone said...

Lovely estate items!!!

Since my specialty on eBAY (when I was active) was silverplate, I have to share this information about your silverplate ~ with the roses ~ it's called Rosalie and it's from 1938, made by Oneida (William A Rogers). Here's a link to it: http://www.silvertableware.com/oneida/SilverPlate/rosalie.html

The other pattern I'm not familiar with!

~Blessings,
Jan

Dianne said...

I was lucky enough to receive sterling flatware from my mother. I use it everyday and love it! It just gets the most beautiful patina from use. I suggest you don't put that set away but use it everyday and enjoy!

Kitty Scraps said...

Love the big clock and your flatware! I'm so looking forward to the Master tour as I need inspiration for a possible remake in mine. Have a wonderfully blessed day!

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Fun! I love that clock.
You find the best stuff!

I don't know about the silver though... I gave up polishing a long time ago! Get you some gloves...

Sometimes It's Good said...

You found some wonderful things! Love that bamboo chair. I've got to start going to these sales more!

Unknown said...

I always enjoy seeing what you buy. I think the clock looks great!
It seems that estate sale prices are always more...at least around here.
You and several other blogging ladies have motivated me to start going again.
I found some things I like this Friday, and a cabinet to paint! Not sure how I'll do it yet...I may posted a pic of it in a day or two and get some input.
Have a great day,
Diane

Essential Oil Premier University said...

Great finds there Rhoda! I'm up at our cottage this weekend, but when I get home I can look into my "Silver" reference book and tell you what pattern and year your silverplate was first manufactured!! It's lovely. I'm a huge sucker for silver. I blogged about my estate silverplate before too. I love using it to eat off of on special occasions. Sometimes, we just use it too, to make the occasion special! :)

Blessings,

Sher

Anonymous said...

Rhoda, You scored again! I love the clock and the bamboo chair and you had to pick up that darling bunny!

A Lovely Thing said...

Love that folding chair - handy things to have around.

Unknown said...

Woohooo! what great finds Rhonda! Great stuff girly!
Hugs,
Robyn

Cottage Rose said...

I have never been to an estate sale, I think I might be missing out on some good buys. Love your finds the bunny is so sweet. OH and the silver ware is to die for when you get it all polished up and shiny take a photo and share with us. Please??????? Love your new clock too. Have a great Sunday.
Hugs;
Alaura

Darlene said...

You found some great finds!!!! Love the clock and the little rabbit and the nest...OK you got a bunch of great things!!!!

Gone said...

I should have said...What a bargain for the silverplate...AND...Rosalie has always been one of my FAVORITE patterns of silverplate.

I don't know if you intended to put your comment on our Give-Away post...but since you did, I need to ask...because it involves you posting the contest on your blog and giving a little something special away to 3 ladies that comment on your blog. Please let me know!!! I'd love it if you did participate!!

~Blessings,
Jan

Nancy Rosalina said...

Hi Rhoda, Love all your finds, but the silver is beautiful..I once heard it said...special things are not just for special days, special things are for special people everyday....Enjoy that Silver! Nancy

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

Hello fellow estate gal,
You did Good :) Love the clock too, and all the other treasures. I had problems uploading my little finds and will try again on Monday. Thanks for sharing. Warmly, Deb

Unknown said...

Great finds Rhoda! Looks like you had a sucessful weekend. Hope you had a wonderful week!

Anonymous said...

I love the silver set and the clock! Of course, I love the bunny. What good luck you had at the estate sale. Your recipes look scrumptious--the second potato salad one really screamed out to me. What fun to be featured in the paper doing what you do so well.

Anonymous said...

i love seeing what other people buy, you know it kind of opens your eyes up to spotting more good stuff, for example I am on the lookout for a clock now and also some tassels after seeing tassel love

the chair is gorgeous, I would love to attack that with a whitewash, haha! quite an unusual style

the silver is the best, you know, I see bits and pieces like that all the time, I think it's time for me to start collecting

Sarah

Becky said...

Girl, I do love that clock!! I'm a fan of estate sales too, you just never know what you're going to find! Have a GREAT week ahead!

Tausha said...

I have a thing for clocks as well. The only difference is, not all of mine work. I don't care-I love them anyway. It drives my husabnd crazy that we have a million clocks in each room, and none of them work. I tell him thats why he wears a watch. He just rolls his eyes!! Thanks for the tips to go and check out those crafty gals! I love their blogs, almost as much as i love yours!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, you got some good deals! thanks for sharing with us! Patti

Tonja said...

Great finds, Rhoda! Love the big clock! Good hunting!

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

That is IT Rhoda...clear out your guest room because I am moving IN...there are no estate sales here to speak of because I am in the middle of nowhere, you will have to take me with YOU. I promise to be good and not trample over you....well, I promise to try.


(())

Anonymous said...

I keep hoping you've got lots of room in your house so you can keep showing us your finds from Estate and garage sales. You are an expert at finding great deals. Thanks again for sharing with this lowly amateur.

Gretchen
birdnestcottage.typepad.com

Denise K. said...

Hi there!

Thanks so much for your comment on our blog, and how ironic, because I had stumbled upon your blog from CWO I believe, and loved it! If only you could make house calls to those of us in other states and help us decorate our homes!!!

I'll look forward to reading more and getting great ideas to "feather our nest!"

SMIES!!!
Denise :-)

Anonymous said...

Oh Rhoda I LOVE that clock and it looks great where you placed it !!!

Great finds,
Kathy :)

Sandi McBride said...

I haven't been to a good estate sale in so long! I feel cheated, lol...lovely things the plated silver the clock...but I love that bamboo chair!
Sandi

Jill said...

What great finds. Have you ever heard about the "tin foil" method of cleaning silver? Place silver ware in dish with aluminum foil shinny side up (I use a disposable alumninum pan). Put in 2 tbsp baking soda & 1 tsp. salt. Pour HOT water over and let soak 30 min. Wipe clean with soft cloth.

Toni said...

What wonderful finds! I really need to start going to some yard sales and estate sales! I have found some silverware in local antique/flea market stores and I am really tempted to buy some.

Thansk for sharing your beautiful treasures!

Toni

Unknown said...

I just love the silver! I have some that my Mom has collected for me over the years. She finds pieces of it at various yard sales and I almost have a complete set now. Some of it is all bent and bruised but nonetheless, I love it. That kind of thing adds character!

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

Ohhh when you're tired of the chair please send it my way, okay? ;-) I love it!!

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

My favs are the bamboo chari and the bird nest. Love them both!

Stacy said...

Oh! I love me a big ol' clock! I passed up a white one at HomeGoods a few weeks ago and have been kicking myself ever since.

Great finds!

~Stacy

Rosemary said...

Great finds Rhoda!!
Love the silverware, and bamboo chair.
Thanks for sharing,
Rosemary

Judy said...

I had a bamboo chair just like that and I think I sold it at my booth. I had a black one too! I'll have to look for them next time I go to the big storage building. I also love the big clock you found...mine is in the closet waiting for the kitchen re-do...

I can't wait to see "chester" in his new place of honor at your house. I remember how "pretty" chester is and I know you must be really excited to bring him home...

Judy

Sue said...

I am amazed at all your finds. Your blog is a MUST visit for me every day!! You have definitely inspired me to hit the estate/yard sales again. Thank you so much for your comment on my new blog.

Anonymous said...

On days like these I wish I could fit in your pocket and go along, smile... you always find the greatest stuff!!! Susie h~

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

My favorite kind of post. I love to see what everyone finds. I passed on some silver this past Saturday and now you have me regretting it.:)
I am excited to try the "silver" trick from one of your commentors on here. If that works, I won't pass on it anymore.:)

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hi, girls! Thanks for looking at my thrifty finds. I did try to silver cleaning method that Jill mentioned & it really DID work! I had heard about it and never tried it. The silverware looks sparkling now & I think we'll be using it some for everyday & not keeping it locked away for special occasions.

Rhoda

The Style Sisters said...

Love the big clock and the sterling silver flatware. What great finds! I need to go some estate sales soon!

Karin

trishtoo said...

You always have the best luck at finding things, Rhoda! The clock was a deal and you'll need those larger numbers as you 'age'. LOL And why would I be surprised to see you 'adopting' another bunny? I'm slowly building a 'family of ears' also!!

Keep up the good work girl!

Take care,
Trish