Thursday, August 14, 2008

Out Browsing

Oh, the dilemmas of yardsale finds! I guess y'all probably figured I'd keep that bedding, right? Well...you're right, I'm keepin' it! I'll take my time and slowly build some things that go with it and when the time is right, that room will get a makeover. It will be fun to see what else I can come up with in black and white from yardsales. I can totally see those black and white Staffordshire-like dogs in there, can't you? AND, what color will the walls be...that's to be determined. Maybe aqua like the inspiration pic, we shall see what hits me.

Do you all know about Bloglines yet?? I just started using it in the last couple of months (after Kat shared with me how wonderful it is) and WOW, does it save a lot of time with blog surfing. All you do is go here to Bloglines, register yourself, and then start adding your favorite blogs to your Bloglines. Once you have them all set up, you can save so much time by doing this. I used to just click off of my blog to check out what was new on your blogs and that wastes a LOT of time. This way, I can click on my Bloglines page and instantly see all the updates on my favorite blogs. Only the blogs that have new posts are shown. You can read them right on Bloglines OR click to go directly to the blog to see more. The ones you don't get to will still stay highlighted and active until you click on them. Can you see how much time this saves? I love Bloglines! I'm sure there are other methods out there too, but this one works great for me. I have about 35-40 blogs saved right now and this is a wonderful tool to utilize. Try it, you'll like it!
***********************************************
One recent Friday afternoon, I met up once again with this Gracious Southern Lady down in Jemison for some antique browsing. We met at a big antique mall there and walked it, talking all the while. Judy found a few things and I came home with only one little creamware vase for my collection. We meandered on to downtown Jemison, where we found this cozy little antique spot where we chatted with a very nice gentlemen who owned the place.
It was very picturesque and perfect for snapping some photos to share. Lots of rustic things all around and the brick wall was a perfect backdrop.

Vintage shabby painted pieces were all over the place.
Columns and shutters looking for a new home.
Along with some pottery pieces yearning to join someone's collection.
I adored this old built by hand table with the vintage green and white harlequin vinyl attached to the top. Isn't this quaint? It would be a perfect potting bench outside, for only $45 a great deal. This brought back memories of two little side tables my dad built from scratch when me and my sister were growing up, that looked a lot like this piece. We didn't have a lot of money, so he took a couple of old laminate pieces that he found for the tops and fashioned us some side tables for our bedroom. Later on my mom added a fabric skirt on them to hide the board games and books. I still remember those tables to this day!
Bird cage and wicker, great combo.

Who doesn't love leaded glass windows. I sure do!
More brick wall
This cozy chippy white dresser was a neat piece too. We didn't buy anything here, but enjoyed looking.
And we stopped by the Smoky Hollow Restaurant for some much needed lunch. I got the veggie plate....fried green tomatoes, cole slaw, green beans....AND
Some homemade onion rings. We girls need our food now, don't you know, energy to keep going?! Hope you enjoyed shopping with me and Judy.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

47 friends stopped by:

Cathy said...

Glad you decided to keep the spread. Sounds like a fun outing with a blogging friend. I've not heard of Bloglines, I will check it out.

Thanks!

Bonita said...

Neat stuff, but I'm sitting here starving and you can't imagine how good that home cooking looks! Glad you had fun shopping with your friend. Oh, and thanks so much for the heads up about blog lines. I need to save every spare moment that I can!

Unknown said...

Hi Rhoda,
Thanks for the tip on Bloglines! I haven't tried it...need to check it our.

I love that table. It would fit perfectly on my screened porch.
Hope you have a great day...looks like it may be a sunny one here!
Diane

Nancy Rosalina said...

Morning Rhoda, Thanks for the info on bloglines, I will check it out. I spend way too much time checking out blogs to see if there are any new posts....this sounds much better! Looks like you had a great time...and now I am ready to go eat diner and it is only breakfast time...LOL:) Blessings to you, Nancy

Janet said...

I use Google Reader and it does the same thing. Cuts down the time so much that I can read even more blogs than I used to! Looks like a great shop and an even better "southern" lunch.

Janet

Free Art Printables said...

I hae bloglines and google reader. I know I'm crazy, but it's so much easier! Those architechtural things are awesome. Sigh. I'd love to buy 10! Jen R

Kathryn said...

Thanks so much for the heads-up on Bloglines! I've been struggling to keep up with all of my bookmarked blogs, so I appreciate the tip.

Thursday blessings! :-)

Blogger said...

Hi Rhoda,

Thanks for the tour of the antique mall and the tip on Blogline, I will have to check that out...I have 100+ blogs on my bloglist, lol...I just <3 so many of you fine, fine decorating ladies :)

Didn't you just love Karen's dd's aqua/black houndstooth bedroom with the fashion pics and such...so pretty! I would love to add some of that fashion stuff to my bedroom, but I doubt dh would go for that, haha!

Can't wait to see what you do with the room, I know it will be stunning!

Bella

Ms. Tee said...

What a great place - I'd love to have a pieces of that blueish-turquoise pottery. And that white table - love it. :)

A Hint of Home said...

I thought you would be keeping the spread. Too good of a deal to pass up.
Looks like you had a fun day shopping.
Thanks for visiting my blog and for your sweet comments.

paperjunk-lc said...

I've used bloglines for a while helps inable my addiction to blogs!!!!
Now you have me craving some fried green tomatoes! My late MIL used to make the best!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for that tip! I do waste alot of time checking on my buddies.... I would hate to miss one word, smile... I may have to try it out! Have a great day and I knew that you would keep it.... Thats' what I would do!

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

I am going to check out bloglines....and the smoky hollw restaurant. I have gone by many times on the trips to petals. Now I will stop in after my picking.

Bo said...

"Morning...Thanks so much for the Bloglines info...I'll try that. Did you know Wal-Mart has breaded green tomatoes in the frozen vegetable section? Well, at least they do here in my part of Texas and B'ham sure should qualify as southern enough for them to stock them there too
:-) Brown-Eyes...LOL

Valarie Lea said...

That wicker peice looks just like the one I just bought at the 654 mile yard sale!!! I got mine for $2.00! Do you have any good tips for cleaning up wicker?

Judy said...

I wish I had some of those onion rings right now...they were the best! Thanks for sharing our latest shopping extravaganza...I have not had time to post nor share my pics.

Hubby likes Latte so Latte it will be for the kitchen. I've "showed" him how wonderful adding crown would be to the kitchen so I'm hoping my guys can do that soon. Going to order the paint today at lunch hr. Creamy colored trim and cabs, and the newly build cab over the stove will be black then distressed. Then I'll order the slips from Ballards for my parsons chairs...I'm thinking creme w/white initials...I love that combo.

We'll be up Sat. the 23rd for g'daughter's b'day...I'll try and give you a holler!

Judy

Anonymous said...

Love the black and white bed set and I would paint the walls that aqua color. I actually thought that was a room you did and was ENVIOUS until I continued on with your blog and read it wasn't your room at all.


I'd at least make that aqua color your accent color, it is so striking with the black and white. That room is gorgeous. Good luck with all your "finds" for that room and I know when you are ready to get it all together it will be fabulous, can't wait to see it.

Cheri

Rosemary said...

Hi Rhoda,
I didn't know about bloglines. When I have time, I will try it.
Sounds great!!
Love the shopping,and food looks really yummy!
Rosemary

Sandi McBride said...

I was going to say how I loved the Siamese kitties, like that would surprise you when I came to the onion rings! Oh wow...I want some, lol!
hugs
Sandi
ps
I knew you wouldn't let go of that comforter set!

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a fun day. Many times I just enjoy looking even though I don't see a thing that has to go home with me.

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

Wonderful "stuff"! Love the pictures.

My son-in-law introduced me to Bloglines last year. It is the only way I can read as many blogs as I enjoy!

Sue said...

Whatever YOU do with the black & white will be beautiful....but my vote would be aqua walls. I definitely will check into the Bloglines. I can see the amount of time it would save because I try to check daily for updates on my favorites. I would love to have a birdcage like the one in the picture.

The Berry's Patch said...

Hey Rhoda,

I noticed you changed your comment picture. You look great girl!

I subscribe to my blogs and it shows up in my email. It does take longer to download my email because of this. So I'll check out bloglines. Thanks for the tip!

Brandee :-)

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Girl, you are making me SO hungry with those onion rings and other goodies! Yum! I could gain ten pounds just looking at the pics!

And those brick walls of that shop with all of those neat antique signs! Love it! Makes me want to take a trip over to Vintage and see if the lovely Miss Kim is tending store. Wish you were here to go thrifting next week when life settles down. If I get the chance to see her, I'll hug her neck for you!

Thanks for sharing this antiquing adventure!

Love ya,

Sheila...on a borrowed computer on borrowed time! ;-)

Michele said...

Rhoda...oh my, your lunch looks scrumptious!!! Thanks for the tip on bloglines...gonna have to meander over there and sign up!

Hugz,
Michele

Missy Wertz said...

Jamison is great for Antiquing. I love that place. It is also good for berry picking in the spring and summer, peach picking...

Anonymous said...

What fun, and yum to those onion rings one of my fave things.

I knew you'd keep the spread :)

Have a nice week-end,
Kathy :)

ps by the way I noticed a new pic of you, I like your hair like that :)

Anonymous said...

i'm gonna sign up, I kind of stayed away as i thought it would be too difficult for me to work out, duh, but i sounds easy and will sure save me some time, I seem to have so many fave blogs lol!

love that antique mall!!!! the chippy dresser would be so good in my bedroom and love the stained glass window

thanks for your comment on my chair and pics

sarah

Tabitha said...

Thanks for the "tour," that was some fun stuff!!
Oh, you're gonna have a blast with the black and white theme--anything looks good painted in either of those colors, so how easy is that?? Can't wait to see the makeover someday!!

nikkicrumpet said...

Hi Rhoda:

Man I want to go shopping with you...what a cool store! And lunch looked pretty tasty too!
As far as the photos...it's really simple and you don't even need a special program. Just go to photobucket.com and upload your photos for free...then use the edit function...special effects...then click on fresco. And TADA you're done. I just
e-mailed them to CVS Pharmacy but Walmart works too. If you have any questions just let me know.

Have a great night!

Donna, The Decorated House said...

Hey Rho~
Loved the chippy painted pieces, columns and such..yum. So tough to pass by a good bargain.

Um...why yes I do like that picture with aqua blue and damask. You will see why, too! :) LOL
I have been collecting damask goodies for my studio makeover for a year while trying to find DD a house, but I had not idea the aqua would be an accent color then. I LOVE b/w damask with aqua. It will be a fun project for you.
Donna

Christina said...

Looks like a fun trip with your friend.

Love the bedspread. I'll look forward to seeing your redo.

Anonymous said...

Life doesn't get much better than strolling through an antique mall (or two) with a friend and just looking and visiting! I think your little story about the tables your dad made and how your mom enhanced them tells us you had creative parents who made the ordinary look beautiful---I believe they passed that love on to you. Your lunch looked wonderful--oh, my, fried green tomatoes! yum, yum.

Nancy Hood said...

yummy!! can't wait to see the 'new' room :)

Donna said...

I've heard about Bloglines but never got around to doing it. I must!

Looks like a great shopping trip with your friend.

Adrienne said...

Hi Rhoda -
I've been using Google Reader for a couple of months. It does the same thing and I love it. It sure saves a lot of time and I can keep up with my blog friends.

I L.O.V.E. that yellow birdcage. Wish I lived close enough to stop by and buy it!
~Adrienne~

Belle (from Life of a...) said...

Thanks for the tip about Bloglines...I starting setting my list up last night and it surely is a neat trick.

Connie said...

Oh my, where is this place? Of course I don't get that far south of B'ham but it looks like it's worth a day trip.
~Connie

Smelling Coffee said...

Thank you so much for sharing wtih us about Bloglines. This has helped me keep up with everyone in a much more efficient way! Thanks for sharing!

Kat said...

That was fun! Thanks for letting us tag along. Did you save any of those onion rings?? Probably not. lol. They looked yummy. So did the green beans. Ive never had a fried tomato.
Thank you for coming by to see me. Im hoping to sleep till 8 this monday. lol!

Sweetie said...

I am going to try Bloglines. Thanks for the info. Thanks for sharing your fun day!
Sweetie

Unknown said...

Double yum on the fried green tomatoes!! I love all the antique stuff. Those black chairs with the little painted flowers are adorable. Also, i found one of those little chair plant stand things a while back. it needs a paint job though (on my to-do list). It's adorable though.

Bloglines--love it. BUT, it is so addicting!!

Annie said...

Thank you for introducing me to Bloglines. It is so helpful! I had heard of it, but had never really tried it out. It is a huge timesaver. So glad I suscribed!

Teal Chic said...

Thanks so much for the link, and of course for all your inspiration!

Anonymous said...

I grew up eating at the Smokey Hollow! My childhood pastor and his wife loved to eat there every week. I haven'tbeen there is years! Glad to see they still serve fried green tomatoes!

Picket said...

Hey Rhoda...I know what ever you do with the spread it will turn out beautiful...thanks for the info on bloglines and I loved the tour! Oh & I fried me some green tomatoes this afternoon! lol lol Have a great weekend girl!

Rhondi said...

Hi Rhoda. Thanks foir the suggestion of bloglines. I'll try it out.
Hope you're having a good weekend.
Hugs, Rhondi