Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The Hazards of Yardsaling

Oh, you didn't realize there were hazards of yardsaling??

I guess I didn't share this in my newspaper interview, but there are definitely hazards involved when you decide to get out there and yardsale as much as I do. Case in point. I went out to those 2 estate sales last Friday, found those fun things, and was going to let that be all for the weekend. I was minding my own business, coming home from the gym on Saturday a.m. around 10:00 a.m. when most things should be gone already and spied a yardsale sign near my neighborhood. I've had good luck in this neighborhood many times, so had to stop and check it out. Their signs weren't marked very well, so I literally had to HUNT it down (they did have the street address listed on the one sign I did see), so eventually I found it. Looked around and picked up a couple of Ann Taylor blouses for 50 cents each and then I spied it....this black and white damask king comforter with 2 shams...from Target (she even had it in the original bag)....marked at $20. I offered her $15 and she took it on the spot. $15 people, gently used!
So, are you getting the hazard part yet? You see, I had no business buying a new comforter set. I have 2 spare bedrooms and they are completed outfitted already with all sorts of linens and fabrics. I just shared the granny room with ya'll recently and it's the only one with a king bed. So what's a girl to do? You can see that this goes with NOTHING in the room right now.
You see, I could really have fun with this comforter set and change up the WHOLE look in here, as I mentioned when I did that post. And I can justify it by being thrifty about how I go about doing this and look for other things at yardsales that can coordinate with it. I can also sort of justify it because I've had most all this current bedding for more than 5 years. Does justification ever come knocking on your door?

AND I can always try to sell come of my current things on Ebay OR I know I could sell the damask on Ebay too. No doubt about that! But, you know I'd really love to keep this and have fun with it. Oh, the possibilities! I'd have fun deciding just what paint color I'd like to use in here. One thing that I know won't work is the chair I got from the Salvation Army. That definitely won't work with it, a slipcover would be in order...so do I let that stop me? Hubby knows nothing about this yet either.

Oh, and that first pic up there of the aqua bedroom with the damask came from a Photobucket album of inspiration pics, so I have no idea where it originated. Pretty, isn't it? Do I want to be this trendy...I dunno. I know there are a lot of black and white damask rooms out there in blogland and I do love them.

Stay tuned...I haven't completely decided yet, but you can imagine what I might do, can't you?

Stumble Upon Toolbar

71 friends stopped by:

Anonymous said...

Go for it!! It's awesome. :)

Judy said...

Keep it for now Rhoda....if you don't use it you can always sell it cause it is a classic color and design. Yeah, I know all about that change your mind thing....it drives me nuts!

Painters coming Thursday for kitchen and I'm still not decided on paint color. Narrowed down to Latte, Burlap and Gobi Desert. I will have to decide today b/c got to get the paint tomorrow afternoon for Thurs. a.m.!

Wish me luck!
Judy

Anonymous said...

What an amazing find. Now that is worth the hunt.

Anonymous said...

Boy I saw that coming... It would have happened to me too. What's a gal to do... I think I know what I would do. Cant wait to see what you decide... Hmmmmm. I know it will be good!

Nancy Rosalina said...

Mornin Rhoda, I know you of all people don't need my 2 cents, but ok...I say change the room. You have alot of black and white in your house and this new damask would carry that color right on through....I can't wait to see what you do!!! Nancy

Debra from Bungalow said...

What's a gal to do....Great find! I love the aqua & black together. I actually have a similar set in twin size that I got for a guest room..... I haven't got to that yet.

Generally men don't get it,(the redecorating thing), but us girls do!
Have fun, Hugs, DebraK

Anonymous said...

It looks great with the aqua walls. I wouldn't have thought of that myself. Save it, if you don't use it in your own home, one of your future clients might appreciate it.
Karen

Valarie Lea said...

Oh I say go for it! I love the inspiration room, and I know you can totally do this. :)

Kristi said...

I love it! Last month, while my husband and I were trotting all around North AL going to antique malls and flea markets, we came across this beautiful tiger oak bed, needing a little love but complete with footboard and side rails. $40.00. Did we need another bed? Well, we got it anyway! I have some pics in my blog...

Trixi said...

Wow, Rhoda, what a great deal. You can send it my way and I will put it to good use.LOL

We were in your neck of the woods on Sunday. My family had a family reunion at the Homewood Senior Center. My aunt lives in Homewood and she volunteers at the center. It was great fun. I was amazed at how much Bessemer and Alabaster have grown up. I have not been there in several years.

Marie said...

What a DEAL! I'm quite jealous!!! :o) I, for one, love the photobucket photo you posted. The wall color, the bedding... kind of reminds me of the colors I used in my daughter's room! :o)I had no idea I was being trendy...I just liked it!

Anonymous said...

You are too funny! Your mind is working like mine does---dang it, it's just HARD to pass up a bargain that has such potential! I love your comforter and I know you will do something awesome with it. I enjoyed your recent estate sale post, too. Oh, and I just wanted to say "Thanks" for organizing your favorite thrifty share last week. That was so much fun and I met so many terrific new bloggers, too! Great idea!

Tiffany said...

Wow! You got a steal!

Unknown said...

Hi Rhoda,
I love your new find. If you don't want it later, I'm sure you'll be able to sell it.

Target has great looking stuff at a reasonable price but getting that for 20 bucks was a great buy.

I have a cabinet I bought that I thought about painting...but after I got it in the house and cleaned it up...I'm not so sure. If you get a chance drop by and give me your opinion. I have lots of respect for your thoughts!

Have a great day...it's rainy here...a good day for piddling around inside and whatever!
diane

Anonymous said...

One think always leads to another around here Rhoda. I justified the new dining room paint color, because it's been five years since it was painted LA Gold3.

I say hang on to the comforter and see what inspires you!

BTW, I found my paint color at SW, last Saturday. I have a poster board painted and taped to the wall for observation in different light. We both say, it's a keeper!

Anonymous said...

Did you see that freudian slip in my comment above??? One THINK always leads to another. Yep...that is soooo true! Funny what the subconscious will do, isn't it?

Anonymous said...

So, if you think it's too much to take on, let me know. I'll meet you for lunch in Hoover and I'll take it off your hands for you. I have a lovely cork/dijon colored bedroom that this would look lovely in.

Just an idea.... :)

-- Brandi

Angie said...

Girl, I know exactly how you feel! I go to yard sales every Sat. and I always see things I want and that would require a whole redo. I have a Waverly set (comforter, bedskirt, shams, curtains) right now in my attic that I got at a yard sale because I couldn't resist it. I figure I'll use it sometime in one of my bedrooms when I'm ready for a change. Keep the set - it is gorgeous! You'll use it someday!

Blogger said...

Awwww...why didn't you use my aqua and damask bedroom pic, I'm sad! ;)

That bedroom is pretty! And so classic. My room is more light and airy...and my camera is not the best, it actually looks nicer than the pics depict...but if anyone wants the look on a budget, make sure to check out my blog and then it links to my RMS page and that lists where to buy everything...although I didn't pay $15 for my comforter set! WOW! You rock it out, Rhoda!

Bella :)

The Berry's Patch said...

I see a re-do coming on. I would sit on it awhile. It could end up pillows in your backyard or maybe a new client might need it. The possibilities are endless. :-)

Alyce said...

OH..That is gorgeous..I have been wanting to do a black and white bedroom...that is sooo pretty. And for $15!! Keep that girl!!

Elaine said...

What a coup! I'd love to see a black and white room. It can be so versatile...fresh and modern or so formal and even casual! Time to update the look and work your way around the house. That way you make yard sales a necessity!

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

Wow, I love the new bedding! I don't know, I would be tempted just like you are to go ahead and redecorate the whole room.

By the way, I have been reading your blog for awhile now but have never commented. Nice to meet you!
-Carrie

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

I would definitely keep this. You can do so much with black and white when it comes to accent colors. I'm thinking about your laundry room and just how great shocking green would go with this, or around Christmas how a pile of red pillows would look festive. At some point you'll want a change in one of your bedrooms and you can whip this out and start changing! What a fabulous find!

Liz Harrell said...

I love the black and white and aqua walls. My bedroom has a similar wall color, and I've often thought of using black and white bedding. What a fabulous find!

Cant wait to see what you do! :)

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Go For it!
I like the aqua!

Unknown said...

Love it! You could actually even use the colors you have in there now--I'm positive your could make it all work togehter. The golds and browns would be great with the b&w spread.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I love the black-and-white bedding! I can see why you couldn't resist. I think the walls in aqua, like your inspiration pic, would be great too, especially given your penchant for adding in blue/aqua to your home.

Victoria said...

Oh I am so jealous! I have been looking at that very same bedspread at Tarjay for awhile now but haven't been ready to fork out the $ for it.

LOL, I definitely agree that yard sales can be hazardous. I told someone Sat that my husband would pay them $1 to keep the object I was planning to buy!

Ashley said...

Who could pass up a deal this good!?! It doesn't really go with any of my decor either, but I find myself drawn to the black and white damask pattern. It is so beautiful.

Cathy said...

Beautiful and a great deal!

Bonita said...

Oh my gosh, what a find! I think you just attract great deals, woman. It's like they see you coming and throw something wonderful out there with a cheap price tag on it. Maybe I just don't shop in the right neighborhoods, but I'd love to find those types of deals.

The black and white bedding is beautiful. I seriously considered going that direction with our master bedroom which I recently decorated, but something about that 1980s gold carpet in there just didn't jive with the black and white as well as I'd hoped. If you end up changing things up a bit with your new bedding please be sure to post pictures.

Anonymous said...

Girl, you made me laugh with this one. It is gorgeous.

Tabitha said...

I think you're considering offering it to US to buy!! Or a giveaway???? :)
I'm into that look but haven't used it yet, either. I'd have snagged that bargain, too!!!

Linda said...

We just bought the exact same bedding at Target for my daughter (and paid a whole lot more than $15!) She's loving the black and white theme...and using a tad of red as an accent color.

I say go for it...and I can't wait to see the outcome.

Julie said...

If you change your mind and decide to sell it - give me a buzz - I need a new bedspread and our whole bedroom is done in black and light cream colors. Good find!

A Hint of Home said...

You certainly can't beat that price. It's lovely.
I know you'll find just the right use for it.

Missy Wertz said...

Rhoda, that would be a hazard. ;-) A FUN hazard!

Bo said...

Ooo la la! That designer bedroom photo you posted would have me dragging out the paint can & brushes...well, in my mind at least. Toile is timeless so even if you wait a year or two it will always be in style. You really should be wearing a tiara in your blog photo 'cuz YOU ARE THE GARAGE SALE QUEEN... :-) Brown-Eyes

Unknown said...

Can't help it Rhoda but I got this HUGE smile goin' on. I have that very same comforter here in our apartment. And I'll be using it in the guest room when our new home is built.

See where I'm going? Yup, I'm hoping you find something to do with it so that I can steal more ideas from you. (wink ~ wink)

Ms. Tee said...

What a great find...I love it with the wall color!!

Lawsy Mercy said...

Rhoda hon, you already have gorgeous guest rooms. Your new purchase is DIVINE! It's now time for you to purchase a vacation getaway and start decorating it! LOL! Great find! By the way, I am jealous. :)

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

I am in love with this bedding (I've drooled over it at Target before!), and it looks fabulous with the aqua, although with neutral bedding and black/white main pieces, any accent color would look great and could be easily changed. I say Keep It & love it! You bought it because you liked it, right?! :)

Nancy Hood said...

I bet you keep it and I look forward to seeing what you do with it!!

bj said...

well, I guess I am just going to fall over in a dead faint...this is JUST what I want to do my bedroom in...If you decide to sell it, email me!! If not, have a ball with it...It is magnificent!!

Kat said...

ROFL! Rhoda I love a good makeover especially when I can sit back and watch. Your redos are always beautiful and fun. I cant wait to see what you decide. I will be keeping my eye on you.

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

Alright...that seals the deal: I am *definitely* going yard saleing with you. :-) Airfare, shmairfare. It'll be worth it!

nikkicrumpet said...

OHHH the inspiration bedroom is GORGEOUS. I love the blue with the black and white. I'm sure you'll think of something wonderful..and we will eagerly await the results.

Belle (from Life of a...) said...

I adore the aqua bedroom!

Dena said...

Rhoda,

You have me giggling over here. I can't tell you how many times I have done the same type of thing...with curtains, pillows...the perfect little find can turn in to a whole nother' project! Can't wait to see what you do with it. Honestly, I would have snapped it right up too!

Hugs,
Dena

Annie said...

I have totally been there. I justify myself into lots of yard sale purchases! You got a great deal on the bedding.

Sandi McBride said...

Oh come on Rhoda, who are you kidding hon, any excuse to redecorate a room...lol...but if you really can't use it...I'd be happy to take it off your hands! 15 plus postage?
hugs
Sandi

angela | the painted house said...

I do know the art of justification REALLY well!

Unknown said...

What fun decisions! And what a good deal, I really like that. It's been about four years since I painted and redid our bedroom and I think it's time for a change in there. Have fun.

Anonymous said...

oh I wouldn't have passed that up either, it's just too beautiful for $15!!!!!! I love it when you stumble upon finds like that

I sooooo get the hazard thing, I try to apply that rule with things I am doubtful on - the 'would you pay double that for it' but often I think well it isn't double that so errrr no I wouldn't pay double for it that's why I'm at a yardsale lol! often I don't get something and then *wish* I had, I don't know what's worse, not having too much junk in the garage or missing out


I definitely think you should go for it and change the room, I reckon it'll sing and you will revel in your latest find! isn't that just the best thrill?? having all the fun of making over the room for fifteen bucks...

Sheila said...

Rhoda, you go girl! You have to be the very BEST yardsaling girl in Birmingham. You find the best deals. Then you make something new out of it.
Thank you for sharing your creativity with all of us.
I love love love your style.
:)
Sheila

Darla said...

OH SERIOUSLY Rhoda? I am drooling.

Susie Q said...

Ah yes, I have been there! But that is truly an amazing find and a must buy it! Just wait and see and then, if you decide to pass it on, you can reap the rewards of a brilliant eye!
Love,
Sue

j said...

Oh we did the black and white graphic bedding in our girls room. The walls were Tiffany's blue and we hung a large black and white print of Audrey Hepburn at Breakfast at Tiffany's. It was the prettiest room they have ever had.

I can't wait to see what you do with that room.

Jen

Anonymous said...

ok, you hooked me with this one. I frequently stop by and enjoy your blog, but I don't leave comments...that is until now. I can so relate to what you've said here. I am the bargain queen, and if it is a bargain, I can so justify buying it. That is why my home is filled to the brim. My husband used to tell me, "it's not a bargain if you don't need it". After 40 yrs of being married to me, he's buying bargains we don't need. Enjoyed this so much. Felt like I was reading about myself! Laurie

The Beauty Bargainista said...

LOVE IT!!!!! I will take it off your hands if you dont need it.......hehehehe

Amanda said...

Rhoda,
I love reading about your yardsaling and the beautiful things you do in your home; you are a creative woman with an eye toward the lovely, that's for certain!
I love garage sales (that's what we call them here), but rarely find anything I love. Well, I hit paydirt this past weekend. 12 settings of Denby Harlequin stoneware, 4 casseroles of same pattern, and a few extra mugs for $30. Yes, thirty. (If you're not familiar with this ware, a plate goes for about $10-15 on eBay.) My own pattern is Denby Fire Sage, but my mom's is Harlequin. I turned to the proprietess of the sale and asked, in a whisper, "$30 for this ENTIRE box?!" She gave me a look as if to say she was proud that someone realized what an absolute steal, and with fire in her eyes said "YES!"
My own mom was so proud and happy for her new acquisition, too :)

Stephanie ~ Angelic Accents said...

I would definitely keep it! I, too, am bedspread poor! I think I've got at least 2 spreads for each bedroom & 4 for one!! Hubby says its a sickness! I don't ever search for a cure, tho!

Big TX Hugs,
Stephanie
Angelic Accents

Anonymous said...

Decesions, Decesions. I don't envy you on the decesion of what to do. Honestly I don't think I could have passed it up either if I had found it. The damask is definitely beautiful. Whatever you decide to do will be beautiful, of that I am sure.

THe inspiration room you pictured is amazing!

Have a great weekend,
Jen

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

WHAT a steal! I LOOOOOVVVVEEEEE that!

Midwest Nest said...

Garage sales do that to me every time! I bought a black lamp for $2 and then had to buy the pretty red lampshade to go on it at Target! But ooohh it looks great on my piano.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Rhoda,

How do you do it? Neat find! Great price! You go, girl!

I think you ought to collect some things to use in that room with the new set and just change it out with the other set seasonally. Then you can have the best of both worlds... your beautiful linens you already have and the new ones you've found and love. That's a win/win any way you look at it!

I'm so happy for you that you found this neat set at such a whopping good price. You deserve it!

Happy Hunting,

Sheila

Anonymous said...

Way to go Rhoda! That is awesome and don't blame you at all! Although I do like the one you already have to! ;)
LOL we are wayyyy too much alike when it comes to all this thrift store, garage sale, and estate sale shopping!! I know all too well what you mean. I have THREE spreads/comforters for my king size bed now! lol And I want to be able to use them ALL because I can't pick the one I like the best!! So now I am considering painting my walls in our master bedroom yet again. If I paint the walls white I can use all of them. I'm not good at decorating like you are so I don't know of any other color I could go with so that I could use them all, when I got tired of the one I am currently using. I also got mine for 15.00. Well actually I bought two of them for 15.00 each.

Unknown said...

First of all I love Target... so how awesome is that you got yardsale Target?! LOL!!!

I love the black and white. I say do it! You know you want to!

~~Liz~~

Kat said...

Rhoda I will send an email to but here is the link for my countertop system.
http://www.benissimosystems.com/default.aspx
They have a lots of info online and you can look for a dealer near you.
Another company with a similiar product is called Bedrock and they ship direct to you.

Rhondi said...

My daughter has that spread. She has one hot pink wall and it looks great. I love yours on that four poster bed and what a lovely view out the window! Great bargain, Rhonda.
Hugs, Rhondi