Sunday, August 10, 2008

St. Augustine Victorian Cottage

Oh, you girls are in for a treat today. If you love to tour older homes (and I know you do), you are gonna love this. One of my very dear and faithful readers, Sheila in Florida, who doesn't have a blog, but loves to read them, shared a video with me of her house in St. Augustine that is for sale. It's one block off the bay and is an 1894 Victorian. Sheila sent me a couple of pics and also the video link.
I sat in amazement for 9.5 minutes with beautiful music playing in the background...and pretended I was in this stunning beach cottage. I'd suggest you get something wonderful to drink....sit back, relax, and prepare to fall in love.....the video took a couple of minutes to load for me, but I promise, it's worth every second! Sheila decorated it herself and with the help of a designer friend of hers, who stages homes professionally, they got it ready for selling and for this video. They were working on the staging in the diningroom pic above.

EDITED: Sorry, had to remove the link for this, so hope you enjoy the pics that are posted!

Thank you, Sheila, for sharing your lovely Victorian cottage with us!

Today is my hubby's 49th birthday! Now I will finally get to harass him when those AARP envelopes start coming in the mail very soon with HIS name on them, just like he has done to me for the last 2 years. ;) I baked him his favorite butter yellow cake with made-from-scratch chocolate icing and we are celebrating with family today. Have a wonderful Sunday!



Stumble Upon Toolbar

45 friends stopped by:

Gone said...

What a wonderful tour of this beautiful 1894 Victorian!! I loved it!! Dreamt I was there...

Jan

Anonymous said...

I live in St. Augustine and know that house!!! Thanks so much for sharing!

Unknown said...

Hi Rhoda,
I think it's great that you posted the tour on your blog. I may wait til tonight to check it out when I've got more time.

Just wanted to let you know that I tried one of your little projects with Rub and Buff and it turned out great. If you have time, take a peek!
You are so sweet to share all of your little tricks with all of us bloggers.

Hope your husband has a wonderful birthday!
Diane

Free Art Printables said...

What a great place! I've given you an award when you get achance to stop by. :)

Sue said...

Rhoda,
What a lovely tour of your friends home. She should not have any trouble selling that beauty. Thanks for sharing the tour.
Hugs,
Sue

Anonymous said...

Wow! I've just been looking over your whole blog - and wow! It's so beautiful.

Also, I'm from Alabama, but living in Georgia :) (We're opposites!) I got here from my blog-friend Alyce's blog (http://potsonthestove.blogspot.com)

And I just thought I'd leave a note and tell you what a neat blog you have.

Have a great day!

-Robin Lynne
www.robinlynne.org

Bunny Wilson said...

If there were any place on earth I could live, it would be St Augustine. We vacation there and stay in the St George Inn; on our next trip I'm going to at least walk by this charming home. Can you find out for me anything at all about the chair in the upstair's bath? It seems to have a cross (or maybe I'm just seeing that) on the back. At first I thought it might be a prie dieu.

Lawsy Mercy said...

Wow, what a wonderful treat to be able to tour her home. Thanks to both of you! I would love to stay there for a week on vacation :)

Ms. Tee said...

What a beautiful home - thanks for sharing it!

Sometimes It's Good said...

What a beautiful home! I wish I could buy it. It really is a dream house.

Missy Wertz said...

What a beautiful home! I loved watching the video. Thank you for sharing it with all of us.

Dena said...

Hi Rhoda,

I have to tell you that I have equally enjoyed the photobucket slide show of your home! It makes me want to redo my whole style and that olive color paint is absolutely beautiful. Your home is so elegant, I just love it :)

Hugs,
Dena

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Rhoda, for sharing this wonderful tour of this adorable dreamy house! Just loved it!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

blondes of the apocalypse said...

I have been in this amazing Victorian Cottage. The light streaming through the original windows immerses you in a spiritual state that is full of peace and tranquility like none other. The neighborhood is full of history and rich in cultural diversity, founded under many European flags. The architecture is profound and supercedes the interior design of the house. Being within the walls of this very,very special home is like being in a sanctuary built by God himself.

Anonymous said...

BRAVO......loved everything about this house even the music !!! She should have no problem selling this !!!

Thanks for sharing...

Kathy :)

nikkicrumpet said...

That is a beautiful home! But heck I'd live in a cardboard box if I could live in St. Augustine...it is one of the most beautiful cities I've ever visited. Thanks for the tour.

PAT said...

Lovely home, Rhoda. Thanks so much for sharing it.

Happy b'day to Peter.

Pat

The Berry's Patch said...

What a darling cottage. I just love how it's decorated. It's so nice of you to put it on your blog. :-)

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful home! So crisp and clean. Just what a cottage should be. I could see my little self living it up there...Thanks for sharing that tour.

Unknown said...

Oh Beautiful! Thank you for sharing. But I have to agree with Dena's comments the slide show of your home is very enjoyable!

~~Liz~~

Tara said...

Gorgeous!

Tabitha said...

Hi, Rhoda!!
May I add you to my list of blogs I read??? :)
-Tabitha
Roots & Wings
www.proudgrits.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Hi Rhoda,
I came back and this time looked at the video. You were right...it is worth the time.
A tour of a home like this makes me want to take classes and start selling real estate...something I've thought of doing in the past!

It was very nice of you to share with all of us. Victorian Homes are a favorite of mine!
Diane

Cottage Rose said...

The house looks so beautiful and perfect. I just love it. She did an amazing job. I have not seen the video yet but I will soon. Have a great week.

Hugs;
alaura

pammiejo said...

That was fun! I loved the music that went along with it! I love being in other houses and seeing what people do! Thanks for the trip! PAM

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

Oh, my my my my my! I live in an 1895 house by the beach so to say this home tour attracted me would be an understatement! Wow. Thanks so much for sharing this tour...lots of inspiring ideas. A happy happy birthday to your hubby. 8/10's my mom's b-day so he must be a great guy. ;-)

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Hi, Rhoda and all of Rhoda's friends! I just finished cleaning this Victorian lady from stem to stern and am curled up reading your comments.

Thank you to those of you who have been so kind as to watch the slideshow of our St. Augustine nest. It's fun to get feedback, though admitedly a little scary. To be honest, I've been very hesitant to put this online,least of all on a decorating blog, and have only sent the link to people I know or who've asked about the house. But I tiptoed out of my comfort zone when Rhoda asked if I minded her putting up a link. I felt like she shares so much of herself with all of her readers that I couldn't decline her request. Hugs to you, Rhoda, for all you do, and Happiest of Birthdays to your sweet hubby!

Earlier today, I told a friend that Rhoda was going to link to the house, and I see that my friend made it over here. Hi, Linda! {{{Hugs}}}

Bunny, you asked if the chair in the bathroom is a "prie dieu." I would say, yes. Believe it or not, my painter studied to be a Jesuit priest in his youth, and he was commenting about two initials on the top of it -- RR. I can't remember the Latin for it, but I think he said it stood for something or other Rex (as in King Jesus).

I actually have a Victorian needlepointed "prie dieu" from Belgium that isn't out, but I love to collect things like that. I also have some gorgeous vestments from Europe that I enjoying using on our tables at Easter. I found them at my favorite shop in town which unfortunately is no longer open. The dealer decided to take a break as she was married to the business and wanted time to have more of a personal life. Oh, she had the greatest things ever! Amelia of Ravenswood Antiques is incredible and just a super, super person.

I agree with what some of you have said about St. Augustine. It's one of the most wonderful places ever. Charming. Romantic. And special beyond words. I've enjoyed it more than I can say. We can look out our kitchen window and watch the carriage horses go by on the tour route. Additionally we see the oldest well in the country and one of the oldest remaining houses in St. Augustine from the First Spanish Colonial Period. We are literally surrounded with history. Two doors down they did a "dig" and unearthed the charred remains of buildings that were dated to Sir Francis Drake's raid on St. Augustine in the 1500's! You just never know what you'll find in your own backyard!

Remodelingthislife, if you are out and about downtown, please drop by and knock on the door in case I'm home. Would love to meet you! Also would love to meet any of you who visit St. Augustine. We are right downtown in the heart of so many B&B's, restaurants, art galleries, shops, attractions, etc. We are close to the foot of the Bridge of Lions and can see it if we take a few steps outside. Well, that is, when the construction isn't going on which will hopefully end at some point as we've been promised!

As to the rest of evening, I'm going to make it a point to visit your blogs. I hope to have one up and running at some point, but we've had major computer issues of late. When I get started, I'll link up to Rhoda. I want to create a place where people can escape and enjoy armchair travel and shopping. I love to browse the shops around here, whether I buy anything or not, and I think it will be fun to share what they have to offer.

In turn, I love to see all the creative things each of you do and thank you for it. Thanks, too, for your kind feedback. It means a lot.

Sheila

Unknown said...

Happy Birhtday Hubby! Have a wonderful birthday and that cake sounds to die for!
Yummy!
Robyn

Christina said...

Rhoda,

I really enjoyed the beach house tour. I love the dinning room.

We too love St. Augustine. Oh, to live near the beach.

Anonymous said...

oh my, you can imagine, I'm in heaven!

sarah

Marie said...

Beautiful home! St Augustine isn't too far from me.. I love it there! I love all the molding and trim in "older" homes. Beautiful!

3CHEERS4MOM said...

Oh what a beautiful place, I wish I were there. Hope you have a great week! –Cheers, Amy

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

I just knew you would all LOVE this house as much as I did! Thank you Sheila for chiming in with your ever-interesting commentary on your beautiful house. I can't wait for you to start a blog too!

Ladies, Sheila is a wealth of information, as you can see from her note here. Thank you again for sharing your beautiful home with all of us. It truly is a dream!

xo,
Rhoda

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful place - thank you so much for sharing, Rhoda! I love your blog and look at it often. I'm recovering a vanity bench in the leopard print like your chairs.

Julie L. Light said...

Wow, this home looks like it's straight out of the pages of a magazine! Beautiful and fabulous:-)
Have a fabulous day!
Julie

cotedetexas said...

Let's go!!!!

Unknown said...

Oh how I wish I could live there! So nice!

Becky said...

Rhoda, will you please come over to my blog and give me your expertize advice! Thx Becky

Terri Steffes said...

Rhoda, that was SOOO much fun! I love older homes but my husband does not share the same feelings... so I have to live out my desires through delightful people like you who show us these fabulous homes!

Erin said...

thank you for sharing the beautiful tour and such wonderful beachy decorating ideas with us! Hugs, Erin

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhoda! I was on Nikki's blog and couldn't agree more with your comment(re:RMS)! I realized I hadn't visited you for a long time. What a great video; made me want to paint my walls white; beautiful home - good luck to your friend) Happy Birthday to your husband too!!! I can relate to those AARP mailings - they depress me!!! Hope you are having a great week- Sincerely, Jeannette

beachy in the burbs said...

Laura from Shorehouse Chic led me to your site and I adore this cottage! Thanks for sharing! :)

Anonymous said...

So much fun looking through your posts!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhodie!
I'm taking a break and thought I'd stop by and say hi and I just treated myself to Sheila's video (again) and enjoyed my visit to her BEAUTIFUL HOME! Oh I am so relaxed now - the decor, the music, the charm! Thank you for sharing Sheila's place here on your blog and I can tell your readers that Sheila is a sweetheart in person too, having had the lucky good fortune of meeting her at Vintage one day.

xo,
Kim
P.S. can't wait to see what you do about your new bedding - what a score girlfriend!!!

Susie Q said...

Wow! This is amazing!

And happy birthday to your handsome husband!!

Love,
Sue