Sunday, August 31, 2008

Shopping at Big Lots

Do you ever shop at Big Lots? I've been going in there for years and sometimes you can find some really cool things in there.

Keeping up with all the things that I see and love on blogs can be quite the juggling act. While browsing Designs by Gollum recently, I saw this really pretty stool with zebra print fabric. And have I been loving me some zebra print lately. I don't have much of it in my house, but I love the punch it gives, like leopard print. So Gollum mentioned she had found this beauty at Big Lots recently for $85 on sale. I vaguely remembered seeing this stool in there several months ago when I was running through that store. They have a new designer line of furniture by Jennifer Ferrell that is quite pretty, but quite pricey really, for Big Lots. I picked up the phone and called one of my local Big Lots to see if I could scope one out. Lo and behold, the first store I called had ONE left, still in the box. Jumped in the car the next a.m. and headed out in the rain to pick up my purchase. He told me the original price was $250 (which I would never have paid)....BUT, all the Jennifer furniture and accessories is now on clearance for 60% off. I quickly did the math and that brought this oh-so-cute little stool to $100. Much better! So now it's sitting at my house waiting on a final resting place.
My original thought was to put it in the aqua guestroom when I redo it and use it with the aqua chair I may get from grandma, but the black/tan on the zebra print won't look good with the black/white of the damask comforter I found. What's a girl to do but possibly recover it? I will probably leave the zebra print on here and look for a black/white zebra fabric to go over this one. I'd only need maybe 1/2 yard or so and can always use the original fabric later. It's a sweet little purchase and this baby can go in a lot of spaces. Right now I think I'll leave it in the foyer where it will not be used, but will look oh, so, chic! This was one of those things that I just couldn't pass up.

You may want to check out Big Lots and take a look at the Jennifer collection. I saw some great looking lamps and accessories marked down 60% and it's going on right now. Hope you all have a wonderful Labor Day. We're not traveling, but will be grilling out in the backyard with some friends.

I only found a few little things at the big yardsale on Saturday, nothing really blog-worthy, but I did meet up with 2 other Birmingham girls that came out for the fun. I think they found more than I did this time.

I also finished a room for another client I've been working with and will show you Before and Afters on that project soon!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

39 friends stopped by:

Kristi said...

Congrats on the find! I finally made it to "our" big lots in a not so safe part of (another) town (nearby). Unfortunately, as suspected our Big Lots is a little "ghetto" and didn't really have anything of quality. I've heard these stores can be really good or really not so good. The good thing though was that the people working there were so sweet and friendly.

Kristi said...

Oh.

I can't wait for your post on furniture placement. Yesterday I finally moved our family room furniture around to where I thought it should be. The big chair and a half still doesn't quite fit and there is a lot of wasted space behind it, but I think this makes hubby even more willing to try to sell it or give it away. It was quite expensive, but the cats have destroyed it with their claws. And though I re-covered it and am proud of my slipcover skills, the cats have torn that up a bit too. As well as the matching ottoman which I re-upholstered. Ug. I will post a pic of the before and after on my blog sometime soon and let you know when I do.

Darlene said...

That is a great zebra print stool. I will have to make an effort to get by a Big Lots...I haven't been in a long, long time. The closest one is about 45 minutes away....I'll check it out soon as it sounds like they have some nice things.

Angela said...

That's a gorgeous piece! Don't you just love Big Lots? Its one of my favorite places. Unfortunately, my hubby doesn't appreciate it like we do. He calls it "a big lot of junk". Poor man.
I've thought the same thing about the Jennifer Ferrell furniture as you, that its pretty expensive for Big Lots. You got a good deal though!

Blogger said...

I love Big Lots. I blogged about my summer purchases there about a month ago.

I have only bought an Apple from the Jennifer Farrell collection...for some reason if her stuff were at Home Store or Marshall's I would probably not think it was pricey, but at Big Lots, I get all cheap and decided I cannot spend that much, haha. I am hoping her stuff goes even cheaper so I can clean out my local store ;)

Love the little stool. I bought a faux leather one at BB&B the other day for $4.98. It's very small though...I could use it to add heighth to something in a vignette...that is how small it is...but my 4 year old has claimed it for now ;)

Have a wonderful day!

Bella
PS: I changed the name of my blog to Bella Casa :)

Unknown said...

Rhoda, I had to comment about this. I was scrolling down and came to your foyer photo on this post. My eight year old son was walking by and he said "Mom, that is a really nice room. We should do something like that."

What a sweetie! Eight years old and he has good taste!

Carry Grace said...

That is a great find! I have found some good stuff in there myself.

Free Art Printables said...

Very cute. I saw that at big lots too. I always find big lots is hit or miss... The great thing about that stool is even after zebra is long gone, it has great lines to be recovered......hhhhmmmm, I might have to take a ride back over there....

Bonita said...

I haven't been to Big Lots in years, but was just thinking about visiting the other day. I'll have to give it a try.

Cute stool!

Anonymous said...

The stool looks great, what a great deal! I will be sure to head out to my local Big Lots ASAP!

Happy Labor Day:)

Kat said...

Sweet lil bench seat! Great price too. I will be looking forward to seeing where it ends up.
Big Lots is a bit of a trip for me. I still love the bombe chest I found there.

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

I love Big Lots. I don't think I ever go into that store without coming out with something even if it's only a box of Disney Princess Flakes cereal for my son's girlfriend who loves all things Disney. Great little footstool you found, Rhoda!

Ms. Tee said...

Wow, that's really cute - I didn't know Big Lots had a designer line. I need some lamps, so thanks for that tip! :)

Screaming Meme said...

I love Big Lots...I love that ottoman....I love your blog! Thx for the heads up on Jen. collection...I'll stop by tomorrow on my way to town...Oh, I wanted to see if I could talk to you about BD...I need help on what I should be doing...Can you email me? meme.screamingmeme@gmail.com

Rattlebridge Farm said...

Oh, yes! It DOES look fabulously chic in your foyer!! I wonder why the prices are so different from store to store? Did you check out the gourmet cooking oils at Big Lots? I bought some for Christmas gifts.

Missy Wertz said...

Love Big Lots! My chargers came from there. I love buying garden deco there.

Enjoyed yard selling yesterday. I think I was the one with the finds. The vintage singer is a dream deco piece for a sewer. The ironic thing is, it does not have a petal or a cord, but I find those for sale on ebay all the time for nothing. 5-10 tops. But I want this for a decorator piece and all I have been able to find are machines with broken/busted missing covers. And still want $100 bucks! I will have to post a photo on my blog. :D One day, I will find that treadle machine for the price I am willing to pay, just like I did that old featherweight. :D

Deb said...

Hi Rhoda! I do go to Big Lotts often but, they have really changed over the pass 3-4 years. They use to have better merchandise at better prices.

I have seen the Jennifer Ferrell furnishings, very beautiful but, it's just kinda funny paying those prices in Big Lots.

Pier One use to have a line there and Big Lots was pricy also with those items and Pier One is not all that pricey in their own store.

Said all that to say this LOL!! I absolutely love the bench you found. Deb

The Quintessential Magpie said...

What a great find, Rhoda! Very nice! So glad you found this, and I like it in the foyer. :-)

I found a very cute lamp at Big Lots this month. Thought of you when I found it as it's black and white. The base is wooden, painted white, and has bisquits written across it. I'm assuming that means cookies as in the British vocabulary for bisquits because it looks kind of like an English bisquit barrel. It has a black and white plaid shade.

If I needed a stool, I can assure you that we would be twins because I would like to find one like that.

XO,

Sheila

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

Rhoda, I hated to miss on Saturday. I know that I was where I was supposed to be (see my story on divas childhood home). Next time...I am on board! Just say when!

Lettered Cottage said...

Great little stool Rhoda!
Love the graphic punch it packs. We should plan a shopping trip together sometime in September or October. Homegoods is calling my name....

:-)
Layla
The Lettered Cottage

Bo said...

I was just in one of my Big Lots yesterday and there was nothing as luscious as your stool...I LOVE your painted chest in your foyer!
Happy holiday... ;-) Bo

Cottage Rose said...

Rhonda; I love the zebra stool. It looks so fabulous in your foyer. I also love your table with all the goodies and lamp on it. Just so chic and welcoming. Have a great cook out we are doing the same here.

Hugs;
Alaura

Anonymous said...

Thanks for dropping by my blog and leaving a note!

I just toured your home and it is unbelievable! Beautiful!

Our Big Lots closed here about two years ago. :(

Unknown said...

Come by and take a peek at what I have a 'brewin' over at my place!

Becky said...

Wow!! I love the zebra stool and I love Big Lots! They always have great finds, especially during Christmas.

Anonymous said...

ooh a great find, I wish I had some good shops here to find good bargains in, the choice here is very limited, it is either high end or rubbish

when we lived in England, I was always out finding the designer rip-offs in the cheaper shops, I *so* love doing that, here in Australia it is nowhere near as easy, but of course, it's traded for a wonderful climate, the beach and a great lifestyle...hmmm, I think that's pretty good lol!

happy days!

Sarah

Twice as Nice said...

I have a friend that loves Big Lots. I have only shopped there a few times with no luck. I'll have to try going again and maybe get as lucky as you did. There's always room for a pretty stool.

You might not have found a lot at the yard sales but you still brought home a fabulous piece.

Marie said...

Do I ever shop at Big Lots?? That's like asking me if I eat and sleep! lol I love it. It's hit or miss for me though. You obviously had a great hit with that stool! Very cute! The Big Lots I go to has a lot of Jennifer Ferrel things, but they seem so expensive...even with the discount!

Anonymous said...

Luv that stool Rhoda! Wish I had a Big Lots nearby.
Looking forward to seeing your befor and after pics of your client redo.

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

That's super cute and very "Rhoda". :) I need to head to Big Lots. I haven't been there in almost a year.

Unknown said...

I think that little stool is just charming right where you put it!

Love it!
~~Liz~~

Hopechest Bride said...

I love that stool! I just came from Big Lots and saw it there. Couldn't justify the purchase...unless...lol.
By the way, I love that color scheme you're considering. Can't wait to see how it turns out. Have a safe Holiday!

::Sylvia:: said...

Wow! This is the second post I've read this week with great stuff from Big Lots! I usually great my scrapbooking stuff from there, but it's so far from my house I don't go often! I think I might be making a trip soon though!

BTW, I found you on Domestic Diva's, we'll be working together on the Home & Garden channel. Love your blog!

Lisa (aka) French said...

Ohhh I love the little zebra bench! That's a keeper for sure! Love your previous post and may have to steal some of it;) Thanks for stopping in! May I add you to my list?~~French

Sandy said...

Great little find! I frequent our Big Lots for the items they get from Pier 1. I just scored a rug I had been eyeing in Pier 1 for a fraction of the cost!

sheila from life @ #17 said...

I drooled over the barley twist floor lamp from the JF line about a month or two ago...it felt like it was good quality but I couldn't get over the price...$250 or something like that...

I've gotten a little spoiled by thrift shopping, lol, so retail almost always seems to pricey...but I bet at 60% off, I might could force myself :)

Love the stool [insert little thumbs up sign here]

Anonymous said...

I love that stool. I actually get Big Lots' e-mail sale alerts! My mother is a superb decorator and has gorgeous taste and has found several goodies at Big Lots

p.s. I have a gorgeous framed sunflower print above my den mantel that came from BIG LOTS! ;)

Kimba said...

Oooooo! That IS a good find! It will look great in a bunch of places. Beautiful fabric.

I was looking at some of the Jennifer Ferrell stuff the other day. I was particularly coveting a tall hutch that would be perfect for a big open space in my kitchen. It was marked down to $300 but I couldn't bring myself to do it.

Pennies In My Pocket said...

FABULOUS find!! Wow! I haven't shopped at Big Lots in years and my aunt keeps telling me we need to go down there together. She loves all the furniture they have from time to time...this post is making me want to head down there now! lol

~melody~