Saturday, September 27, 2008

Chicken Divan

Doesn't that name sound fancy? Chicken divan...

If you're from the South, you grew up with your share of casseroles. Made with cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup, is there any other kind of casserole? You see the 1984 church cookbook above that came out of my Pastor dad's church at the time. The Women's Ministry ladies decided they needed to do a cookbook for a couple of years and I'm so glad I snagged them. It is full of well-loved Southern recipes, good ole' down home cooking and many of them have the above-mentioned creamy soup as a main ingredient. I'm quite sure there are probably some major differences between a church cookbook in the North and the South.

I'm just sayin'. So, are you ready for this Chicken Divan? I have no idea where the name came from, if anyone knows, please let me know. I can see this on a Southern restaurant menu where little ladies go to lunch and chat up a storm. Have any of my Yankee friends (sorry, we just still call ya'll that, old habits die hard you know!) heard of this recipe?

This recipe was contributed by my sister, Renee. I've made it quite a bit over the years. Main ingredient, chicken of course. And cream of chicken soup mixed with mayo. My hubby is not a casserole lover, but he does like this one a lot.
Broccoli layer goes first. Shredded chicken on top of that
Creamy mixture next
Sprinkled with shredded cheddar cheese and bread crumbs mixed with butter.
I serve mine with brown rice cooked in chicken broth.
And it's a cheesy, yummy meal. Your kids would probably like it too. Comfort food at its best.

Here's the official recipe:

Chicken Divan

1 pkg. frozen broccoli spears (I used fresh broccoli & steamed it lightly first)

3 chicken breasts, cooked & shredded

1 can cream of chicken soup ( I added a bit of the chicken broth the chicken cooked in to this)

1/2 cup mayo

1/2 tsp. lemon juice

1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

1/4 cup bread crumbs, soaked in 1 T. melted butter (I used Italian breadcrumbs)

Cook broccoli and drain. Arrange in a baking dish. Place chicken on top. Mix together soup, mayo, and lemon juice. Pour over chicken. Sprinkle with cheese. Combine bread crumbs & butter; sprinkle over chicken. Bake at 350* for 25 minutes covered, 5 minutes uncovered.

Eat and enjoy!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

57 friends stopped by:

Jill said...

Oh Yum... I remember my mom making this when I was a kid. I haven't had it in years! I might have to whip this up this week for dinner. Thanks for the idea.

Salmagundi said...

I've made this recipe over the years, but never with the 1/2 cup mayo in it. I bet that is the "southern" addition!! I'll try it that way next time. Sally

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Gee thanks, Rhoda... I'm on a diet and now I'm STARVING for that cheesey goodness. ;-)

I might try this recipe next Saturday for a little birthday shindig I'm giving for a friend who turns... uh, I better not tell.

Thanks!

Sheila

Elizabeth said...

Oh, I love Chicken Divan, and have not had it in so long! I am a total Yankee girl from New England, and my Nana made this dish every Christmas. I always looked forward to it, even though my brother tried to convince me it was called "Chicken Divan" because after you ate it you would die and they would haul you off in a van... :) Thank you for sharing the recipe!

Anonymous said...

It's funny but I've made that several times and I live in Ontario, Canada. I didn't know it's from the southern States, but maybe it is. I like it very much -delish.

cheers,
Blueberry

Darlene - Our Creative Life said...

I used to make that when we first got married (20 yrs ago) I remember it was so good. Somehow I stopped making it, but now that you reminded me...I may make that tonight for dinner!

Ms. Tee said...

This sounds like divine divan. :)
No one in my house likes broccoli except me, so I don't get it much. I'm going to have to make this one, though!

nikkicrumpet said...

YUM...but I need one of those old church ladies to cook it for me lol. Have a wonderful weekend!

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

This takes me back to my high school days! And considering I was just wondering what to make for dinner this evening, this just might be the ticket! Thanks for posting this nostalgic recipe.

Joanna said...

Easy with just a few ingredients! I am making it tonight! I had chicken breasts laid out and was trying to decide what to fix with it or what to do with it. You have given me an answer! *smiles*

apple said...

Ro, search the Paula Deen chicken divan recipe! Its DEEVIINE!!

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

Looks delish! We own several old church cookbooks from where my hubby is from in MI, and the recipes in there are AMAZING! Love all the old Polish recipes included in these area cookbooks!

Missy Wertz said...

Yum. I love this stuff. And a good dish for Nights I teach a class and have to prepare something for DH to put in the oven. Thanks for sharing!

Alyce said...

Don't ya just love a good ole southern church cookbook? I have several!! They are the best. (aside from paula deen;))
I actually haven't had chicken divan in a long time, my mama used to make it alot. I've got another southern casserole in mind to share on my blog soon so check in from time to time.

Anonymous said...

This looks so yummy! Supposedly this dish originated at a restaurant in New York called Divan Parisien back in the 1930s. The restaurant is no longer there but obviously the recipe lives on.

Essential Oil Premier University said...

Ha-Ha-Ha!! Well guess what? This Yankee (northern girl) makes her Chicken Divan the exact same way too and we also use a lot of cream of mushroom and cream of chicken soup in our recipes :)

Blessings,

Sher

Bonita said...

Why oh why did I read your blog when I was hungry? You have no idea how yummy that looks!

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

yep - this original Yankee (now testing my wings as a Southerner)grew up with that recipe as well. It's a yummy one! I thought of you as I finally remembered to bring my camera with my yard saling...and then it began to pour, pour, pour (after I snagged myself a wicker patio set for $30, dresser for $20, and some unbelievable clothes for next to nothing. The clothes came from one of our upscale stores, and I was gladly taking them off this lady's hands) :) But besides that....nothing, and no pictures because I hit the jackpot in the first hour during the drizzle.

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhoda,

I just sent you an email with a recipe the way we make it !!

I've had this many times, never with mayo though. It's yummy we love it :)

Your Yankee friend,
Kathy :)

Janet said...

Rhoda,

That sounds delicious and brings back memories. I used to make the same recipe with some curry powder thrown in. Now *that* was exotic back in the 70s.

Janet

Anonymous said...

One of my favorites...I also make it using leftover turkey after the holidays.

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

Hi Rhoda, I just love this recipe! Delish!!!

Ms. Eleanor has quite a collection of treasures below! Where will you begin??? I spotted some really pretty things, there! :) The pic of Peter and her was priceless...the look on his face! LOL! ~Rhonda

Kim@Seasons of My Heart said...

This sounds yummy!

I do love the cookbook title. Back, oh about 18 years ago when our A/G church put together a cookbook we named ours,
Next to Manna from Heaven.

Thanks again for sharing this.

Anonymous said...

I have a very similar recipe given to me by a close friend years ago, about 1980 or so, and my family loves it. I'm from So. California

Unknown said...

Hi Rhoda,
The Chicken Divan looks wonderful. I love one dish meals like this. Wonder if it freezes well?

Picket said...

Hey Rhoda...I love the old Southern casseroles with the 'cream of soups' and this one sounds fantastic! Thanks for sharing and I hope you are having a great weekend!

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

Hey Rhoda...Oh that is a fave of ours! I first had it in NY...and heard it was created and named after a NYC restaurant.

I make a cream sauce with sherry and butter and cream...but with the same chicken and brocolli...

Yours looks delish. too!

Comfort food...at it's best! i always make it after thanksgiving with leftover turkey! Yum!

Anonymous said...

Yum. I've never actually made this before, but have seen recipes for it in one of my church cookbooks. I'll have to try this soon.

KU Reunion said...

Ohhh girl, you had me at the first picture! I do LOVE a good church cookbook. They're always the BEST!

I found an old Mennonite church cookbook at a yardsale a few years ago and it is chock full of fabulous recipes!

Beth at Aunties said...

Rhoda,
Aren't church cookbooks the best with tried and true recipes? I feel I have gained 5 lbs reading the yummy recipes which have been posted today. This looks so good!!!
Thanks so much for sharing.
Beth

Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Yum...gotta try this one! Being a good ole Georgia girl my whole life...I've seen many a recipe with Cream of Chicken or Cream of Celery...this one looks especially good. Thanks for sharing! Susan

Anonymous said...

I have been so busy lately that I haven't had a chance to visit you. I have often wondered if you were affected by the hurricanes--especially the gas shortage I hear about. It looks like your were able to go g-saleing, so I'm guessing you are OK with getting fuel.

That chicken recipe looks so good---I used to make something like that years ago--pre high cholesterol days :-) It DOES sound tempting.

Love all of the stuff that belongs to Elenor---and love her cute littel chichuachua. She and her housemate do have a "few" possesssions!

Your redesign was great, too! OH, and your black and white fall decorating---whew you have been a busy gal! Keep it up. I forgot tosay, I love that fireplace screen, too. I need one and now you gave me a terrific idea of something to "look for" when I hit a sale!

Have a great weekend. Dana

Anonymous said...

Church cookbooks are fabulous!

I just looked at your Eleanor post. She reminds me of J's mother. Dorothea passed away in her 7o's. We have some of her things but many were sold on the estate sale. She had quite a collection of this and that!

Stephanie said...

My favorite cookbooks are church cookbooks! I think I have about 5 versions from 5 different churches! I also love chicken divan and I am so blessed that I have a copy of my grandmother's recipe for this southern classic in her own handwriting - really great memories! I think we may have this for dinner this week!

Nathansma said...

Add a little curry powder to this dish for a whole new wonderful twist. That's how my mama made it and I love it to this day.

Carla

Twice as Nice said...

I'll try this recipe. I also made Picket's vegetable soup and it was SO GOOD. I love new recipes.

I bought Trisha Yearwood's new cook book yesterday because it looked like it has some great southern recipes in it. Plus pictures...love when there's a picture of what you're making.

Have a blessed day.

Suzann said...

Sounds (and looks) yummy. This yankee has an old Chicken Divan recipe, but I haven't made it in forever. Looks like a great recipe to add to my fall / winter comfort food menu. Couldn't help but notice that the cookbook is from an Assembly of God Church - I attend an Assembly of God Church way up here in the North, 'tis where I found the Lord. Happy Sunday!

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, casseroles are a well-loved institution in the south. Maybe this is what I should do with the chicken breast I have thawing.

Cathy said...

Yummy! It looks very good. I've never made it before.

Cathy

Debra from Bungalow said...

Hi Rhoda, your caserole looks so good! This Northern girl loves chicken divan & I make it the same way as you.
I have several of those old fashioned cookbooks from churches,fire houses,ladies auxillary......great old recipes. It's hard to find a csaaerole recipe that doesn't use cream of anything soup.
Take care, DebraK

Unknown said...

Yummy! I've never made this recipe but have had it at showers etc.. and have always loved it. Thanks for sharing Rhoda! I always enjoy visiting you and seeing what goodies you have found.

Natalia said...

Yummmy...this is perfect for the next chilly day...which might take a while to happen, but when I does I think this will be what I'm serving. As a Yankee transplant I think it's about time I learn to make a casserole or two, lol.

Anonymous said...

Hi Rhoda

I make a lot of chicken casseroles, my kids love em and they are great with our schedule but I've never seen one like that

funnily enough I have chicken and broccoli to use up in the fridge and of course I always always have a few cans of chicken soup, lol!

I'm gonna make this for tonight, a little Southern Chicken Divan down under..I'll take a pic

Sarah

Anonymous said...

We have always called that recipe, "Chicken in the Trees" My family loves it. It's what my college age son wants me to make when he comes home.
vickie in WA state

Dena said...

That sounds soooo yummy Rhonda :) I'm starving and now I think I have to have this for dinner :)

Hugs,
Dena

Robin @ The Rendered Nest said...

This recipe sounds delicious...I think I will make it this week! Thanks for sharing it with us!

Robin @ The Rendered Nest said...

This sounds delicious...I think I may have to make it this week. Thanks for sharing it with us!

Robin @ The Rendered Nest said...

Sorry for the multiple comments...I am new to blogging!

The Berry's Patch said...

Rhoda,

That's looks delicious. I have a couple recipe books where the main ingredient is condensed soup. I've tried almost all of them. Casseroles are the best when you have big families to feed. I also like that you can freeze them. I'll have to try this recipe.

Brandee :-)

Cindy said...

I'm a California girl and I've made Chicken Divan before...okay it was ages ago, probably 1980 something! It's good. My daughter does not like casseroles at all so I hardly ever make them anymore.

Sandi McBride said...

Oh Rhoda, chicken divan! Mama made the absolute best and always called it chicken divine lol...I don't know, a divan was always what we sat on lol! I love that bookshelf...
hugs
Sandi

Becky K. said...

My Mom used to make this. I forgot about it! Oh, I'll be making this soon.

Thanks for the Memories.

Becky K.

judy said...

One BIG thing I learned when making this and other cream of mushroom or cream of chicken recipes.......never, but NEVER use HEALTHY CHOICE in place of the regular cream of whatever.

OMgoodness, the taste is T E R R I B L E!!! I didn't know it could change the flavor as much as it did.

Just my little 'tid bit'of lesson learned. :)

Jan D-M said...

This original Yankee got the recipe from a friend 28 years ago in northern Maine. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. :) We always made it with curry added, too. To take some of the guilt away, I use 1/2 mayo and 1/2 plain yogurt. Tasted just fine to me.

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

I love love love this meal. You just inspired my dinner...I have every thing I need so here I go!

Happy weekend! Just catching up on all your great posts! But, now, I am hungry!

xo

Victoria said...

As kids we called this "chicken dive-out" because we didn't like it. :)

I bet I would enjoy it these days though!

Anonymous said...

I always thought the original recipe was a chicken or turkey boneless fillet topped with fresh steamed broccoli and Hollandaise sauce. I guess the combo of soup and mayo is substitute for the more upscale version.

This is a classic fifties recipe from a "woman's/homemakers" magazine, showing how to recreate a dish from a famous place by adapting it with the most favorite recipe ingredient in the South ( or at that time the entire country) Campbell's Soup.

Yes, I am a southern girl, born and raised. I served my version of Chicken/Turkey Divan to my first husband over 30 years ago, using Knorr packaged Hollandaise and frozen broccoli. He loved it and it was CHEAP. This is also a good combination over a pan fried ham steak. Try that sometime, I'm sure you will love it.

Just found your blog today - don't know how - and I love it. I too re-purpose furniture and accessories. May send you some pics.

Thanks,

Joanne