Monday, September 29, 2008

For the price of a tank of gas....

I scored this beautiful pine bookcase....for $50! I'll take that deal anyday. I have no idea where it's going right now, but for that price, it came home with me. And I got free delivery since they had a truck and offered to bring it to my door.
It will more than likely be painted black and since the back of it is just a thin particleboard, I think I'll have a piece of beadboard cut to fit. That will look great! Then a new coat of paint, since I don't have pine in my house. The lady said it's made by Hooker, which is one of my favorite brands of furniture. My hubby thinks I paid too much for it, but he hasn't priced bookcases lately. It stands 6' tall.
Another special bunny found it's way home with me too....$5.
This pretty green floral runner by Williams Sonoma was 50 cents. I really didn't need it, but for that price, I'll use it outside when we are entertaining.
Have a great week!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

83 friends stopped by:

Anonymous said...

The bookcase is beautiful! I think you got a great deal.

Lana Manis said...

Rhoda! I soooo need that bookcase! You got a tremendous deal (despite what your husband thinks! lol!)

Kathi~Lavender, Lace and Thyme said...

The bookcase is awesome! it looks like a great deal to me :)

Have a wonderful Munday,

Kathi :)

Connie said...

Ohmygosh, what a find, my little cherub!!! I'm going on craigslist today to find a desk and hope I have your luck........ WOW!!!
Smooches,
Connie

duchess said...

Where do you find such great deals??
My luck is never that good.

Anonymous said...

That bookcase is worth every penny, that is one of your best finds to date I LOVE it.

Great find Rhoda,
Kathy :)

Stacey said...

Absolutely worth $50.00. I think the ugly metal ones in our garage were that much!! You really make me want to yard sale...I feel it coming on this fall.

Twice as Nice said...

Twin1 has an armoire by Hooker and she paid A LOT! It's a quality piece of furniture and you got lucky once again!! You find so many great deals that you should open your own little shop with everything you have redone!

Picket said...

What a treasure girl and it will look glorious painted black! lol You must have a little 'bloodhound' in you girl cause you can sure find the great ones!!!!! lol Have a great week friend!

nikkicrumpet said...

I can tell you where to put the bookcase....MY HOUSE!!!! You always find the best stuff!!!

Marie said...

Great finds! I'd have paid $50 for that bookcase in a heartbeat! Lucky!! :o)

Fran said...

I LOVE the bookcase! You done good!

Fran

Whitney said...

You are fantastic! I love your blog! I just stumbled upon it from a friend of a friend and I think I'm hooked. :)

Free Art Printables said...

That is an awesome find. You can't even get a cheap particle board shelf unit for $100 at Target!!! I love Hooker furniture! Great find!

Alyce said...

I love the bookcase! We are on the hunt for a cheap entertainment center..that is soo hard to find. If I were near you, I'm sure you could snag me one!
Oh..that casserole in up on my blog now..

Tami said...

What wonderful finds! Cute, cute bunny family!

Tonja said...

WOW! Love that bookcase...it has such potential! Good for you!

carolyn@simple~primitive~devotion said...

WOW! I LOVE that bookcase! It will look great painted black.

Judy said...

Hey Ro! If I bring my truck up next week, will you load up that bookcase for me to bring home?!?!?

Talk to you soon....

Judy

Valarie Lea said...

Those are awesome finds! Love the bookcase, I can't wait to see it painted. :)

Ms. Tee said...

You did it again with your yardsale finds! What a great buy and it's so pretty. It'll look great black. :)

Essential Oil Premier University said...

Wow, tell your hubby your blogging buddies out here in blogland think you scored wonderfully on that bookcase :)

I'm sure it will be lovely after you work your Rhoda magic!!!

Blessing,

Sher

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Rhoda, I know we're not supposed to covet, but I confess -- I covet your bookcase! And what a price!!!

Way to go!

Sheila

niartist said...

What a great deal! I've been working on my bookcases lately - trying to make cheap particle board look like expensive handpainted custom library bookcases. I think I've got the hang of it - but only time will tell! Great post, and what wonderful deals!

The Hinesley House said...

Rhoda, the shelf is beautiful! Looks like it was well worth the money that you paid. Why can't I find items like that when I go to yard sales? Ha Ha

Stefany said...

Okay - I love coming to your blog on Mondays. Where on EArth do you find the garage sales that you do?

windycorner said...

Once again, you found a great bargain. Your plans for it sound fabulous and if you can't find a place for it, you can sell it for far more than you paid for it.
Holley

Anonymous said...

That bookcase is a steal. The one I found didn't have such beautiful moldings and I paid twice as much, plus I had to sand it in order to paint it the color I wanted. It'll look stunning in black!

Anonymous said...

LOVE the BOOKCASE...

little jealous, let's be honest *grin*

Unknown said...

That's a steal on that bookcase. Those are so expensive now. I saw one in Ikea a few weeks back but still, it wasn't 6 ft and not $50!

Also, the chicken casserole looks great! The cookbook is probably great as well. I'm such a sucker for those old church cookbooks. I always purchase them from yard sales when I can.

Darlene - Our Creative Life said...

Tell your hubby that we all said that you got a heck of a deal!! Hey Rhoda I have an award for you! Come by my blog to pick it up.

Salmagundi said...

That bookcase was a steal!! I'm anxious to see what you do with it. Sally

Bamawhitney said...

What great finds! I must admit I thought of you this Saturday as I loaded a "free" find from a neighborhood driveway--yu can see it on my blog! I think the bunny is my favorite I have seen you post in a while.

AJ said...

I would have grabbed that book case too! Can't wait to see what you do with it:)

Robin @ The Rendered Nest said...

Wow, you got some great deals! I live in Birmingham, too...should have gone yard saling this weekend! Can't wait to see what you do with that bookcase...I have Hooker furniture in my master bedroom and dining room and I can tell you that they were far more than $50!!

Peggy said...

She SCORES!! Your yardsale finds are the envy of all of us who live in small towns with not the great treasures that you always seem to find down there in AL. But I can pretend through all your great takehomes. It sure is a lot of fun to read your daily blog. Thanks for sharing. Peggy from PA

Ribbonwood Cottage said...

Rhoda, I always know that on Monday you will have great posts of what you scored over the weekend at some sale!!! Great job on this one, it is a beauty. I just love....seeing what you are going to do and your thought process! Hahaha, you have created some amazing things with just a little, I think it is soooo great!
Blessings,
Debbie

Missy Wertz said...

Love that bookcase and those bunnies are adorable! That runner is very pretty as well.

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

I'm sure your husband is a very, very lovely man...but he is wrong. :-) $50 for that is outstanding (and WITH delivery! Wowza.). Sounds like it's bound for your new black & white room!

Michele said...

Hi Rhoda...that bookcase is awesome..and a great price too! I love the little bunnies ~ too cute!

Hugz,
Michele

Kim @ Home Is Where The Heart Is said...

What a great bookcase...it will look great painted black...I've been in the mood to paint things black, though I've only done some small things so far.

Love the bunny and the table runner, too.

Thanks for sharing your finds, Rhoda!

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

HOly cow! What a great deal on the bookcase! And I love the bunny too!

pedalpower said...

Good heavens, what a deal!!! You'll have to take your hubby to the furniture store to check out the bookcases so he can fully appreciate your bargain!

Beth at Aunties said...

Are husbands all the same? LOL
I love the book case and it would have come home with me! What a great find and the Chicken Divan was heavenly.
Thank You for once more sharing!
Beth

Anonymous said...

Great bookcase! It will look awesome with the beadboard backing and black paint. What a deal!

Unknown said...

Rhoda,
That is a good looking book case for 50 bucks! It will look great painted black and the beadboard idea sounds great.

Your little bunny is cute too...and I wouldn't have passed up that runner for 50 cents either!
diane

Jerri Lynn @ Southern Sassyness said...

Great finds, Rho! Love the bookcase - it was really a great price and will be really pretty painted black.

The bunny is too cute!

The Berry's Patch said...

Wow, that book case is beautiful. That's a great price for a 6 foot tall bookcase. Can't wait to see it after you paint it. Is it going in the new guest room???

Natalia said...

Great find, even better price! I've been shopping for bookshelves (desperate for more storage in this little house) and I haven't found anything that tall for well over double that, and much more. (I miss the days when my gas guzzler only cost $50 to fill up, ugh!)

Anonymous said...

Great deal on the bookcase, and it will be awesome painted black. Now to find a place for it.

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

Hi Rhoda,
Nice bookcase and I'm into black painting lately:) It will look great when you are done. I loved looking at all those wonderful treasures in the other post you had. Awesome things she has and great paintings. A gold mine of memories and treasures :)
Deb

A Hint of Home said...

That's another great find you got. I like the idea of the bead board in the back. It will look so good when you get it done.

Wendy said...

Oh goodness I love that bookcase...great find!

Southern Lady said...

Rhoda, what a gorgeous bookcase ... and a fantastic buy for $50.00! I can't wait to see your "after" pictures. It's going to be even prettier black.

I love that runner, too. It's so pretty and colorful -- perfect for a porch or patio.

Sincerely,

Janie

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

Amazing bargain!! I agree...beadboard would be so pretty with this, and painted black, this thing will look great! It WAS a good price too, I agree. Be sure to show it to us when you are done! :)
Carrie

Saucy said...

That book case is a total score! I can picture it black and a little distressed...

Joy said...

It looks like you got some really great things. Hooray!

sandra/tx said...

Rhoda, that is a spectacular price on a fabulous bookcase! Wow!

Kat said...

I think you got a great deal on that bookcase! Love the bunnies with carrot...how cute is that!

M.L. @ The House of Whimsy said...

Well, that is just about the prettiest little (6 ft. tall) piece of furniture I have ever seen. I LOVE your plans for it.
Can't wait to see the 'reveal'.
M.L. : )

Darlene said...

OMG...I WANT that bookcase!! It will be gorgeous painted black. LOVE those bunnies too!! CUTE!!

Dena said...

I love that bookcase and it will look fabulous black, wow! You scored!!!

Hugs,
Dena

Anonymous said...

The bookcase is beautiful! Love that fluted trim on it.

Anonymous said...

50.00 ????? I am not easily made jealous but today that evil green eye monster is showing it's ugly face! Girlfriend, you so scored!!!

Lettered Cottage said...

Backing it with beadboard is a fantastic idea. Will you paint the beadboard a different color than the rest of the bookcase? Or will it be black too? I'm considering painting the back of my black china hutch a different color. Possible the dusty apple green color I've been using as an accent color.

Layla
The Lettered Cottage

Julie said...

That bookcase was the steel of the century! wow - wow - wow!!!!!

I know it is a long read on my blog - but you will not believe what happened to me yesterday!

Cathy said...

Great deals, especially on the bookcase.

Happy Thrifting,
Cathy

Kelly said...

Wow... what a steal!

Love your bookcase and be sure to show us the finished product after you are done with it.

Terri Steffes said...

Girl, you are GOOOD. That bookshelf is wonderful and the black will be awesome. I have a similar one and it has a cream beadboard backing. I love it!

Anonymous said...

hey Rhoda, what a find for $50, that's my kind of bargain!

love the runner, nice and bright for outdoors

guess what, I made Chicken Divan the night before last, I was gonna email you but thought you probably are bombarded with emails - my family loved it!! I make a lot of casseroles but we'd never had anything like this...how funny that we were eating a southern dinner all this way away?

Sarah

Christy said...

All I can say is, "WOW!" That is some bookcase and you really got lucky.

Marilyn in NM said...

Wow! What a great deal, Rhoda. I can see it now sitting in my house...lol. Can't wait to see it in your house!
Marilyn in NM

Kimba said...

Woooooweeeeee! I have priced book cases lately and you got a deal on the beautiful bookcase. I would have snapped it up too.

Trixi said...

Oh, I think you did great on that bookshelf. I would have loved to find it!!!

Anonymous said...

Rhoda, Peter just doesn't have the eye for a find like you....your scored a great bargain on that bookcase! I love it and it will be stunning in black.
I love your yardsale finds...Mary

Karin said...

WOW! What a deal!! And it looks like it's in great shape!

Cindy said...

That was a great deal on that bookcase! I love it!!! I would have bought it too without knowing where to put it...some deals are just too good to pass up!

Cindy said...

That was a great deal on that bookcase! I love it!!! I would have bought it too without knowing where to put it...some deals are just too good to pass up!

Tricia said...

I think the beadboard will be perfect on the back of your new bookshelf.

KM Studios said...

Light wood is my weakness!!!You have found a steal here!!
Maybe try just painting the beadboard black & let it pop; instead of painting the whole thing?

thats just me..love the light woods.
Best find I have seen yet!
Your skills are getting better girl!!

Katy said...

That bookcase is gorgeous!!!! What a GREAT price too!!!!!!

Kelly said...

Beautiful bookcase find! You can't find them for that price anymore! Please share the finished project too.

Stephanie ~ Angelic Accents said...

Oh, I love that bookcase! What a wonderful place to store what nots....and a few books! :0)

Big TX Hugs,
Stephanie
Angelic Accents